> It Has Started Ten Years Ago
MystyRiver
post Aug 10 2013, 12:30 PM
Post #16

Uru Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 5,034

I can echo so much of what everyone has mentioned. URU was so unique. It is the only multiplayer game I've played. I too dreamed of being in the world of Myst and there are so many wonderful memories of the Greeter hood, so many wonderful people.

I miss it terribly and often cry for what is lost when I wander the city. I don't think it will come back. It was like Camelot.. smile.gif ... a brief shining moment. But we can certainly cherish all that it was and all that it allowed us to be.

MystyRiver/Rosamund23
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rex Havoc
post Aug 12 2013, 08:53 AM
Post #17

Retired GuildMaster
Group Icon

Group: Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 2,857

I think I started Beta in December or January. I was truly a 'Nub' to on-line games and a bit bashful and timid at meeting people! (yes, I know....!) Uru still remains the only game that I feel 'at one' with the game and feel as if I am coming home, every time I enter it's confines. I've met so many, truly, wonderful people because of this game and am forever grateful for the opportunity to share it's special bond. It still remains the only game that I've dreamed of actually being in (Eder Kemo). Now THAT was amazing! (I still am sad that my Bro, Cats isn't at my side...)

--------------------

Ki# 651166

+Quote Post
launton
post Aug 14 2013, 07:31 PM
Post #18

Uru Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 85

I appear to have joined this forum November 2003 but I remember it being created so it must be earlier. 10 years... I think everyone deserves a pat on the back for that longevity smile.gif

I will always love this game and the people I met through it. Some of who are no longer with us.

Stay happy

+Quote Post
Chwith
post Aug 15 2013, 07:57 AM
Post #19

Uru Explorer
Group Icon

Member No.: 125

I was there virtually since the beginning and I was there when Ubi made the cavern go dark the first time. When it came back though it wasn't the same. I miss so many of you even now. Don't think that we'll ever get something like MO:UL back again.

+Quote Post
Kaym
post Aug 20 2013, 07:32 PM
Post #20

Uru Fan
Group Icon

Group: Explorer
Member No.: 5,248

Would one of you that talk about the cavern as if it wasn't there anymore, please tell me why you don't like it now. What is so different? I have been going in for a while now. I haven't made any friends or buddies but I assumed that was my fault.

+Quote Post
Ken Telinome
post Sep 4 2013, 09:21 PM
Post #21

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,259

Maybe it's not so much the Cavern that changed, but the people. When I started playing, the Guild of Greeters was very active, warm, and welcoming. They were the players I hung around with, explored with, and played with. I met some of them in person in Spokane during a Mysterium. Even after things got rocky with the future of MO:ULa, and it wasn't clear whether we'd have a Cavern at all, people got really disillusioned, and after almost 10 years of trying to keep up hope, they finally stopped coming back.

Once the Guild went inactive, and everyone I used to play with stopped coming around, I lost a lot of my interest in the Cavern. For me, it was always about the people and the stories. Without the people, it's not the same place to me. I still drop in every so often, to see the sights again, to see who is around, but I don't stay very long because I remember all the people who used to be there all the time.

I still hope to someday have enough time and energy to devote to the Cavern, but right now, with so much uncertainty in my life and future, the Cavern is not where I have been.

--------------------

Avatar: Ken Telinome | KI: 00329185 | Blog: Living an Ecumenical Life

+Quote Post
UruBoo
post Sep 5 2013, 05:58 AM
Post #22

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 61

You said it all, Ken.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rex Havoc
post Sep 8 2013, 07:19 AM
Post #23

Retired GuildMaster
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,857

Yes, Ken hit it! I met Ken in Chicago and saw him again in Spokane! I am so glad I made the effort to go to WA. Neat place, loved the garden, and super people!

--------------------

Ki# 651166

+Quote Post
AllMyst
post Jun 15 2016, 01:20 AM
Post #24

Uru Fan
Group Icon

Member No.: 42

I've been feeling nostalgic, and longing a bit to rekindle the dreams Uru inspired in me...

~28 years ago - my first breath
~20 years ago - my first visit to Myst island, as a demo packaged with a new Win 95 computer. We then bought and played the full game.
~19 years ago - I convince my parents to buy Riven for me the day its released. Shortly after, I discover The Lyst and begin lurking. My brother and I spend the next year beating Riven (no hints!).
~14 years ago - I create a tiny fan site, allmyst.8m.com, just as "Mudpie" speculation is gaining steam. (this internet thing is COOL!)
~13 years ago - After finishing 4th in Zandi's final preafter contest, I enter the cleft for the first time in Jan '03.
~10 years ago - After graduating high school, I blow almost all my money to fly out to Spokane for Mysterium 2006 and meet the Cyan team (GameTap was bringing Uru back!)
~3 years ago - Obduction is funded and I join the collective breath-holding

+Quote Post
Robyn
post Jun 15 2016, 06:51 PM
Post #25

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,126

QUOTE (AllMyst @ Jun 15 2016, 02:20 AM) *
~3 years ago - Obduction is funded and I join the collective breath-holding

... And a little extra collective breath holding.

And now joining the group in making sure our computers are up to the task in time for the release...

At least this is something I can actively work on while waiting, and ought to make the time go by more quickly. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"What are we going to do today, Borg?"
"Same thing we always do, Pinkutus:
Try to assimilate the world!"
-Pinkutus & the Borg

Ad astra
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

+Quote Post
AllMyst
post Jun 15 2016, 10:37 PM
Post #26

Uru Fan
Group Icon

Member No.: 42

QUOTE (Robyn @ Jun 15 2016, 06:51 PM) *
And now joining the group in making sure our computers are up to the task in time for the release...

I'm waiting for the partner versions of the geforce gtx 1070 to come out. They're expected to be killer cards at $379.
The bigger decision though is whether to purchase a Vive or Oculus. We know Cyan isn't officially supporting the Vive at release but it seems like the better platform imho.

+Quote Post
Robyn
post Jun 16 2016, 10:42 PM
Post #27

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,126

QUOTE (AllMyst @ Jun 15 2016, 11:37 PM) *
The bigger decision though is whether to purchase a Vive or Oculus. We know Cyan isn't officially supporting the Vive at release but it seems like the better platform imho.

I'm willing to wait a bit on that decision, as long as whatever I build can support either eventually. Primary requirements differences are the Vive requiring less memory and only a single USB2.0 or greater port. The Rift needs two USB 3.0 ports, so you may need to be careful choosing a motherboard and case for this.

--------------------
"What are we going to do today, Borg?"
"Same thing we always do, Pinkutus:
Try to assimilate the world!"
-Pinkutus & the Borg

Ad astra
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd July 2020 - 12:24 PM