> Myst Movie, might be a reality
Ayli
post Feb 17 2008, 01:45 PM
Post #1

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Guild Master (GM)
Member No.: 7

After solving grooling puzzles that appear on mystmovie.com website at the beginning of this year, by some of the Uru's talented memebers, the mystmovie.com webiste is finally revealed what it is all about.

It seems that the Myst movie project, initiated by Mysteriacs, might be on the way with Cyan's blessings.
FORWORD BY RAND MILLER

Project Passage represents an unorthodox approach to making a Myst movie. As you all know, here at Cyan we've shared your passion for a theatrical release motion picture of the Myst novels. We've had plenty of ups and downs - rumors and surprises, and a lot of disappointment. But we still have vivid, big-screen mind-movies of the scenes, scenery and characters… and we always get excited by what we see.

When Patrick and Adrian sent us their first creative proposal for Project Passage it lingered for a while. When we finally got around to watching the DVD proposal we were impressed by the work they had put into it, but more importantly, we were ignited by their passion. We suddenly realized that making a Myst movie was not about Hollywood and studios and cigars and agents. It was about passion. So we gave a couple of non-Hollywood types a call and told them we should go for it.

Project Passage did not begin with the disingenuous handshakes of martini executives over burrata caprese at Madeo, but with some real-world, tap-water, grass-roots determination for something that just has to be done. It's an amazing thing to witness a process like that - a "bootstrap" kind of operation that by sheer force of will and fan excitement manages to pull off something big.

And here's the fun part - You've been invited to witness and be involved in the process - to be an intimate part of a journey to accomplish the impossible. We'll all be part of every step that Adrian and Patrick take along the way!

It's time to try to make a movie! The process is going to be crazy and frustrating, invigorating and surprising, infuriating and - most of all - rewarding. In the end, we might all get to sit down with some popcorn and smile from ear to ear. But the big point is that nothing happens unless we try. So let's try to do it - and let's try to do it right.

We'll all share this journey - after all, that's what life is about.

Rand

7:07 pm

I'm looking forward to fruition of this project yay.gif

Moderator Note

fixed the typo that was initially on the mystmovie.com changed FORWARD to FORWORD

This post has been edited by Ayli: Feb 18 2008, 12:05 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
veralun
post Feb 17 2008, 02:35 PM
Post #2

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 774

Thanks Ayli for posting this.
This is realy something to look forward at.
Very exciting. smile.gif

--------------------
ô¿ô......All URU need is love!......ô¿ô

+Quote Post
Church99
post Feb 17 2008, 03:33 PM
Post #3

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Group: Explorer
Member No.: 5,559

Very encouraging!

May I ask where you got this information?

I was wondering why we got that commercial, especially right before URU was cancelled. Sort of struck me as some cross information you know, encouraging then discouraging. This makes more sence to me- sort of. I mean why put out a commercial now? Just to get us all in a tissy? If that was their goal, I"ld say it worked.

+Quote Post
Dogwood
post Feb 17 2008, 04:06 PM
Post #4

Uru Explorer
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,756

All that I can say is It will be worth the wait smile.gif

rock.gif rock.gif rock.gif rock.gif

+Quote Post
Church99
post Feb 17 2008, 04:44 PM
Post #5

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,559

Yes, I see that at mystmovie.com.

Apparently they changed the site. It's all there! clapping.gif

They give us just enough hu? yay.gif

+Quote Post
Deius
post Mar 6 2008, 01:37 AM
Post #6

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,274

Shorah, everyone. smile.gif

Have a look at the latest post on the Myst movie production blog. The Mysteriacs want us to spread the word wherever we go, and not just in the Myst community. I'm going to do everything I can to help, and I encourage all of you to do what you can. Let's help this thing succeed!

+Quote Post
Piran
post Mar 6 2008, 07:59 AM
Post #7

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,045

QUOTE (Deius @ Mar 6 2008, 01:37 AM) *
Shorah, everyone. smile.gif

Have a look at the latest post on the Myst movie production blog. The Mysteriacs want us to spread the word wherever we go, and not just in the Myst community. I'm going to do everything I can to help, and I encourage all of you to do what you can. Let's help this thing succeed!

There's a link in the blog entry to write to Wired. You better believe I clicked on it and left my two cents! I sure will continue to do as much as I can!

Also: WELCOME DEIUS! What a great thing to post your first time here! Thanks!

This post has been edited by Piran: Mar 6 2008, 08:00 AM

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
jarelav
post Dec 11 2008, 02:32 PM
Post #8

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Website Contributor (Greeter)
Member No.: 4,899

UPDATE: The Mysteriacs were given the exclusive right by Cyan to develop the official Myst Movie. Read about it here. thumbsup.gif

--------------------
jarel, formerly Schlomo
MOULa KI: 00405546

+Quote Post
Snerticus
post Dec 11 2008, 06:51 PM
Post #9

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 26

This is great news. clapping.gif I have been actually waiting for a Myst movie since the original game came out years ago. I was so in awe of it that immediately I wished a movie had been made about it. Patience is indeed a virtue, especially in this case.

+Quote Post
dadguy
post Dec 11 2008, 07:17 PM
Post #10

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 28

I'm having trouble finding this info using the link you gave, jarelav. It takes me to a page with posts from September. I presume what you are talking about is new news, right?

Dadguy smile.gif

+Quote Post
jarelav
post Dec 12 2008, 01:31 PM
Post #11

Uru Guru
Group Icon

The link is their blogsite not a press release. I thought I should post it even though it is news from Sep 08 which may not be new to some. Nevertheless it is an exciting development. For those who don't like to read blogs, here are excerpts:

TUESDAY - SEPTEMBER 23, 2008 - 6:04 P.M.

Rand informs the Mysteriacs that he has read the script and is completely blown away. After stating that he “absolutely loves it”, he goes on to say that the option for the rights to Myst are now being offered to us free of charge. We will now have the exclusive right to develop and shop a film project derived from the Myst franchise. This decision transforms Project Passage from a project endorsed by Cyan Worlds to the “Official Myst Film”.

Rand pledges Cyan’s full support and backing as we move ahead.

QUOTE (Adrian 9/25/08)
As to budget concerns, we are not aiming for a low-budget film here. This is not going to be fan quality. We are looking for something in the realm of $90-$100 mil. The next major battle will be trying to convince the studios to take an interest in two guys with small CVs.
_
Wingnut and Dreamworks are both on our list of companies to approach once we’ve built a solid package and have actors attached.

QUOTE (Adrian 9/25/08)
Just so we’re clear, we do not have ALL of the rights. We have what is called an option. What this means is that we have the exclusive right to develop a project based on the Myst franchise without fear of a third party outbidding us. The motion picture rights are still retained by Cyan. They just aren’t permitted (not that they would) to sell them off to a studio who wishes to produce a project without our materials. If a studio wants to make a Myst film, they will have to work with and through us.

--------------------
jarel, formerly Schlomo

+Quote Post
Ken Telinome
post Dec 12 2008, 05:43 PM
Post #12

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,259

As I understand it, they don't have the rights to the movie yet, but they have the right to develop the project. If Cyan likes the development, then they will have the rights to the movie. Right now, they just have the guarantee that no one else is allowed to develop a Myst movie. Legal jargon makes me head spin.

--------------------

Avatar: Ken Telinome | KI: 00329185 | Blog: Living an Ecumenical Life

+Quote Post
jarelav
post Dec 13 2008, 09:07 PM
Post #13

Uru Guru
Group Icon

As I understand it, they don't have the rights to the movie yet, but they have the right to develop the project.

That's correct. Cyan retains rights to the movie which is different from the right to develop it. The Mysteriacs simply have the "option" which Adrian defines as the "exclusive right to develop a project."

For curiosity's sake, one of the Webster's Online definitions for "option" is "a contract conveying a right to buy or sell designated securities, commodities, or property interest at a specified price during a stipulated period; also: the right conveyed by an option."

Clear as mud. smile.gif

--------------------
jarel, formerly Schlomo

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd July 2020 - 12:14 PM