> In The Prison
EdythMiller
post Oct 9 2007, 07:34 PM
Post #1

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Group: Explorer
Member No.: 5,731

I'm having the worst time trying to move the rocks in the prison. I've managed to kick one of the large ones up against the wall and I can't move it away. Then, all of the sudden, I can't kick any of them- I just walk right over them instead! Is there a way to reset the room, or does anyone have any tricks to getting better control over moving them?

Edyth
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lord Chaos
post Oct 9 2007, 08:08 PM
Post #2

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 3,876

The rocks are persnicketty now. It helps to approach them from the flat end. Also, there are more things there than rocks...

--------------------

+Quote Post
budgiemom
post Oct 9 2007, 08:12 PM
Post #3

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Website Contributor (Greeter)
Member No.: 1,404

bye2.gif Hey, happened to me too....1. Walk don't run 2. Also walking backward into the rock helps sometimes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dakro
post Oct 9 2007, 10:05 PM
Post #4

Uru Fan
Group Icon

Group: Retired Greeter
Member No.: 5,678

Try going into first person, than try kicking it in all fasions, meaning try walking, running, and jumping against them (Jumping being the most effective method), also try big rocks they move faster, and if something is absolutely stuck just jump up against it.

--------------------
KI Number: 05407095
Local Stud Muffin :D

+Quote Post
BobC
post Oct 10 2007, 06:12 AM
Post #5

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,217

I have also had a terrible time moving those "weights" in the prison. Even the bones and baskets seem to be misbehaving. thumbsdown.gif

I've managed to get most of them moving again by approaching them from every angle; sometimes kicking them off-center has helped. Getting them unstuck has often meant kicking them away from the intended target. angry.gif

If I have to go through that again, I think I would try the jumping and running at them just to try getting things moving.

Good luck, Edyth... and, since I see this is only your second post, WELCOME to the GoG forums! thumbsup.gif

+Quote Post
anthroanne
post Oct 10 2007, 09:19 AM
Post #6

Uru Fan
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,656

Hi Edyth,
Yes those rocks and other objects are a real pain. I know I spent two hours trying to get them into place the first time I tried it. I use the kick it on the angle - walk next to it like you accidently kick it. That works for me. I also tried alternating between walking and running.

Good luck . I hope the tips help.

--------------------
Work hard, play hard and laugh a lot!

+Quote Post
Mari
post Oct 10 2007, 10:51 AM
Post #7

Uru Citizen
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,373

Hey Edyth, yea I agree that those objects can be a problem verymad.gif . Another way to get them into place is to side step them into location. This takes some practice. kicking.gif I think the developers put these in there purposefully to make us learn how to manipulate our avi's smile.gif There is so much to say for the joy you feel when you finely get everything in the right place clapping.gif

This post has been edited by Mari: Oct 10 2007, 10:52 AM

--------------------
KI number 1852818

+Quote Post
Deryn
post Oct 10 2007, 11:33 AM
Post #8

Uru Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,112

I can just see all the "higher ups" (Cyan, Res.Engs) watching us trying to kick those darn rocks around. We must look pretty funny sometimes. However, patience will out. Sometimes, just approaching the rock from a different angle helps.

--------------------
Patiently waiting for M.O.R.E.

+Quote Post
EdythMiller
post Oct 10 2007, 12:28 PM
Post #9

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Thanks for all the suggestions! When I get home (at work now), I'll try the flat end method first- that seems to be the favored approach. I'll let ya'll know if it works!

Edyth

+Quote Post
EdythMiller
post Oct 11 2007, 09:23 AM
Post #10

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

OK, here's what worked:

Running toward the rock, but using small steps to avoid kicking it across the room. When doing that didn't work (and my avatar would indicate so by doing the "butterfly" falling motion), I was probably too close. I just needed to back up a little and approach it again. The other trick was to give the rock ample space when moving around it- if I was too close when I turned around, I would also kick it across the room.

I think Mari is right that this is the "Controlling your Avatar 101" puzzle, but I've had success, and completed the Age last night!

Edyth

+Quote Post
Mari
post Oct 11 2007, 09:33 AM
Post #11

Uru Citizen
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,373

Congratulations Edyth on passing the age. You now are awarded a big purple star!! clapping.gif bounce.gif clapping.gif

--------------------
KI number 1852818

+Quote Post
nutrioso
post Oct 11 2007, 12:19 PM
Post #12

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 713

I'm glad to hear you got it done. I had to go back and re-do the pressure plates as all that I had put on them when I first finished the age were gone! I was trying to get to the
Click here to view/hide a spoiler.
hidden spyroom linking stone to get to Phil's Relto for rewards there

So I had to keep linking in and out to open and close doors and then come up the back way headbang.gif
But it was worth it!! clapping.gif

--------------------
Wherever you go..........There you are!!!!

+Quote Post
CAGrayWolf
post Oct 11 2007, 04:11 PM
Post #13

The Wolfmeister
Group Icon

Group: Retired Greeter
Member No.: 35

Usually ... the trick I use is what is called "strafing" in many FPS type games. I use the "<" and ">" keys while nudging my avatar forward to keep control of the object and direct it to where I want it to go. I have also learned how to use the "back" key or down arrow to be able to stop my avatar on a dime by tapping the down arrow as I land ... especially useful when jumping long distance and not over-shooting your target and running off the other side.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Grieyls
post Oct 12 2007, 04:20 AM
Post #14

Uru Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,936

Hi peeps,

My first thought when doing those stones for the first time was why can't I just pick them up and place them down where I need them? What's with this kicking around stuff? Would seem the most logical thing to code into the game if you ask me.

Grieyls

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lord Chaos
post Oct 12 2007, 06:54 AM
Post #15

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,876

Many of us have asked that question, Grieyls. I have often wished for working hands when doing Conestructions. Be so much easier to just pick the things up and then put them down where needed. Alas... feet are all we have.

I tried Wolfie's sidestep-nudge technique and most of the time just ended up walking over the rock sideways. The visible shape of the rock doesn't match the physics collision surface... like the soccer ball in Minkata: Looks like a sphere, acts like a stellated polyhedron. smile.gif But then, if they changed the physics to make the rocks more tractable we'd no longer be able to climb the ropes and other things. Tradeoffs.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th December 2019 - 06:44 PM