> Humans Coming To An End, Through natures will
gmz1013
post Nov 6 2007, 07:49 PM
Post #1

Uru Citizen
Group Icon

Group: Explorer
Member No.: 3,727

I have noticed over the course of my 16 years on this planet that mankind is becoming more and more violent, more stupid, more ignorant...

I Believe that mankind, will, with in the next thousand years devolve into a lower life for or become exstinced, im not saying that every one is stupid, but im saying that we have lost or Over Done the basic laws of life: Feed, Grow, Reproduce, Evolve.

(this next part is not a bash so do not take offense) In the recent years there have been more and more Homosexuals appearing around the world, And i believe there is a perfectly logical reason to this, Overpopulation, As seen in some other species, if there are to many of one species they will start to, Uh-hem, Get freaky, with other animals of the same gender (i believe this is more common with monkeys, and i think i may have gotten that slightly wrong).

We have become glutenous and eat everything we can, And (in america) through away 1/3 of our food. We put hormones in our food to help people "grow" but it is causing health problems... We are lazy, (yes, i realize im sitting at my computer writing this, dont deny that im lazy)

Well thats all for now...

--------------------
I pinch...
WHy no pinch?
mabey little pincH?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Michi
post Nov 7 2007, 12:39 AM
Post #2

Uru Explorer
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,761

You make some valid points. Very few of us are truly healthy. Even health food is unhealthy. blush.gif
Violence, physical and mental deficiencies (and many more problems) are blamed on many things; the vaccine that was administered, the pollution in the air, chemicals in food (and artificially manipulated food), too much television/computer/psp. We have so many excuses and so few answers that we really are headed toward difficult times. What is sad is that many of the excuses are valid, we know they are and yet we do nothing to counteract them.
I believe that the world is going to continue to change, and will get worse before it gets better. We humans learn our lessons the hard way. Eventually the human population will go down drastically mostly due to an inability to have children. As the population becomes more sickly, more people will have difficulty reproducing. Eventually though, the pendulum will swing back.
In the meantime, for our personal health the best thing we can do is take care of our own bodies as well as our spirits. Get that exercise (yup, I'm lazier than I ought to be), eat healthy (pretty good there, but have my moments smile.gif ). As far as the other part goes, many of us are so used to using technology to communicate that personal communication is dying. Personal communication is integral part of the human condition, or, it used to be.

Go Organic!

--------------------
Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really. ~Agnes Sligh Turnbull
We long for an affection altogether ignorant of our faults. Heaven has accorded this to us in the uncritical canine attachment. ~George Eliot

+Quote Post
Ged
post Dec 11 2007, 12:07 PM
Post #3

Uru Fan
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 5,580

Interesting point about there being more homosexuals around, though tbh, i'm not at all sure it's true. The Romans and Greeks were well known for being bisexual (well, some of them) and it was never considered an issue. And I don't think the gay animal argument holds up to the overpopulation argument, simply because they aren't overpopulated.

Mankind has always been violent, the difference in recent years (say the last couple of hundered or so) is that we've developed better (and I use the term advisedly!) weapons and are so much more skilled at inflciting death on each other than we ever have been. Chimpanzees are known to murder each other (usually large groups (packs?) attacking another, often for no obvious reason such as food. Equally, many animals will squabble when searching for food, and I think that basic instinct still exists in Man.

One could equally make the argument that a lot of what you said applies only to the developed world, where, no doubt, we have more than we can sensibly use.

But overall, i know what you're saying; we need to take stock of our planet and ourselves!

+Quote Post
Lord Chaos
post Dec 11 2007, 12:17 PM
Post #4

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,876

So... what are we going to do about it?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ged
post Dec 11 2007, 01:04 PM
Post #5

Uru Fan
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,580

Blow everything up, that's the only way to be sure!

If you take the basic premise that GMZ mentions of overpopulation, then I can really only see two broad solutions. Either we develop methods of feeding ourselves (by which i mean the whole population) or we have to lose some of the population.

I'm not suggesting anything as ridiculous as mass slaughter of anyone, don't get me wrong. What i think I see the major problem is that we are losing focus on the important things. We have already developed ways of feeding the planet through GM foods, but we have got bogged down on the morality of playing God in developing these foods. As far as I'm concerned, it's no different from traditional breeding of crops and animals to produce better yields etc.

On the flip side, if we don't do anything about global warming (whatever the cause), then we're going to lose billions off our population totals as Africa and parts of Asia starve and other sections of the world disappear under water. That might solve the problem. I guess.

+Quote Post
Etheldred
post Jan 26 2008, 06:39 AM
Post #6

Uru Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Retired Greeter
Member No.: 3,961

We're overpopulated, and having such fertility methods as IVF and Surrogacy doesn't help. Also, more babies are being saved, now, whereas they'd have died thirty of forty years ago, and this would've naturally controlled society.

The reason that this planet is starting to 'die' is that mankind has become too selfish. Everything is about modifying the world around us for OUR pleasure and convenience. We have simply forgotten that nature is there for a reason. Nature is the thing that used to control what happened.

IMO, we should start stripping away 'modern life', and let nature take its course, again.

This post has been edited by Etheldred: Jan 26 2008, 06:40 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Deem
post Jan 26 2008, 08:44 PM
Post #7

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,822

Etheldred's words struck a chord of truth in me. Ever noticed how there are fewer and fewer forests? How deer, coyotes, etc. are forced into suburbia for food? How many species are becoming extinct because they don't even have a natural habitat anymore? Mankind IS selfish. We are WAY out of control in overpopulation, and we're using up all the land, natural resources, fresh water, fresh AIR, with no regard for the other species that inhabit this earth.

The way we're going, we don't have to kill each other. We don't even have to dwell on global warming (though I think this is a terrible problem!). Just continue with the "live only for today" mentality, using up all the resources today and destroying nature so that there is nothing left but housing, concrete, roads, pollution... You get the idea. I wish this post were just a matter of my being cynical.

+Quote Post
Ardairion
post Jan 27 2008, 05:48 AM
Post #8

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,908

In the times of old when people were told to go forth and procreate no longer applies to our generations and I don't think that the general population of this world can quite understand that. Human kind may be going too far to fight over control against Mother Nature but that is how man kind works. It is one thing to say we need to just let nature take its course but it would never happen for the single fact that the one strongest universal emotion amongst most living beings could never let us actually follow through with it. Emotional bonds. There is a reason that most of natures creatures form such strong bonds with others then themselves and to ask us to do otherwise would nearly be impossible. We will always fight to keep those bonds there and alive, however we can do other things that are better for not just nature but for ourselves. One idea could be to further perfect forms of birth control and not just make them more effective but also easier to obtain by those who just can't afford to buy them. There are so many ways that man kind could make things better without just letting nature take its course but still help to coexist. We just need to open our eyes.

+Quote Post
d'rbeh
post Jan 28 2008, 06:02 PM
Post #9

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Guild Master (GM)
Member No.: 2,050

if humankind were to come to an end, it will be because of humankind, rather than some naturally occurring cataclysmic event. imo.

i'll probably get pounded for this, but i believe the fundamental problem is gluttony.

and it's not everyone, folks - it's certain sectors of society.

my mother once saw a man proudly wearing a cap that stated, "i am spending my children's inheritance" (actually, i think she said 'children's' didn't have the apostrophe, which brings to mind another problem - ignorance). she turned to my father and simply said, "tsk, tsk... what a shame". i asked my older sister later what she meant by that and my sister explained to me that some people, even though they have plenty to live happily, want even more, and that's called gluttony. like it or not, so many people of my father's generation embrace that mentality, at least the ones i've become acquainted with. so, even though not all people that age embrace that sentiment, many do.

some segments of society are in such destitute situations that they simply do not know where their next meal is coming from. for them, why should it matter if an acre of rain forest is mowed over to create their burger? they are simply trying to get by, day to day, in desperate circumstances. for these people, concern over the environment and over-population and all of the other hot button environmental topics that are so important today is so far down their list of priorities that they are never considered. after all, to a starving family, no matter what country you are in, the concern for the environment is dozens of rungs below the step of "food"... for them, they live daily struggling to obtain that rung on maslow's ladder.

if there is hope, it is in the burgeoning numbers of people across all age levels who are beginning to think "future"... instead of "now". i am hoping that the emphasis on people wanting to heal the planet long-term and short-term increases. because lacking that, gluttony will kill us all, whether it is by our own gluttonous hands or by the hands of our gluttonous leaders.

bye2.gif

This post has been edited by d'rbeh: Jan 28 2008, 06:03 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
IBnetweasel
post Jan 28 2008, 09:55 PM
Post #10

Proud Papa
Group Icon

Member No.: 734

I agree with both Ethy/Deem and Beh...

I have for a long time held the belief that we, as humans, have been disconnecting ourselves more and more from nature. We are, thus, losing ourselves and where our place is in life. We are one of the few creatures to so drastically modify our environment to better suit our needs...and we do it in such quantity. I have also had a long time fascination and awe of plants. They are incredibly amazing to me because of their adaptability to a wide range of environments. They also do some amazing things, changing our atmosphere to have a much greater oxygen content, creating complex chemicals that can be used for medicine and all kind of other things, and their efficiency in capturing energy from the sun and using it to create a food source for themselves with CO2 is inspiring. I think we humans could learn a lot from plants in how to find better ways to do the things we want to do without damaging the world around us.

Biology does amazing things...from the intricate circuits in the brain to complex metabolic systems...I hope some day that we can make our technology model those biological systems...make our technology nature...we're still a long way from it, but I see that as the best future we can strive for...just MHO.

See you in the cavern...
IB

--------------------
Let your mind open and follow what your heart desires. Look to the stars, explore your surroundings, and let yourself go.
Life is a journey...make your path!

+Quote Post
alaina
post Jan 29 2008, 07:23 PM
Post #11

Uru Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,619

wow that is very insightful Iben. i think you are right that if we tried to copy nature in stead of extinguish it we would all be better off.

--------------------

You listen with your ears not your lips

+Quote Post
Piran
post Feb 4 2008, 08:13 AM
Post #12

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,045

This is a topic I think about pretty much on a daily basis. It honestly scares me to see how the "developed" portions of the world population is degrading by moving further and further away from nature. It disgusts me how so many children raised in the city have never tasted an orchard fresh peach or floated down a river in a boat/canoe/kayak, much less understand the concept of growing your own food or fitting in, and enjoying, the landscape as it was before it got covered in concrete. I will never shop at Sherwin Williams simply because of their tag line/logo: "Cover the Earth" with a picture of a paint bucket spilling over the planet. It makes me want to vomit.

In my utopia we would all live "off the grid", working the land, working together and survive by fitting in to the natural world instead of changing it. I suppose my utopia would very closely resemble John Lennon's "IMAGINE" society!!!!!!

People call me tree hugger, hippy, granola, environmentalist...whatever. I am proudly guilty of them all!!!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Nek'rahm
post Feb 6 2008, 03:40 PM
Post #13

Uru Fan
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,891

Honestly, why are we worrying about colonizing the moon when we can't take care of the Earth?

In my opinion, the Earth should just lose 60% of the population. Start over so we can do something right sleep2.gif

I dunno... (don't mean to be religious but) God was right to flood the world before sleep2.gif

+Quote Post
Deem
post Feb 6 2008, 04:46 PM
Post #14

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,822

Nek'rahm: Honestly, why are we worrying about colonizing the moon when we can't take care of the Earth?

IMO, we must never lose our sense of exploration, our sense of wonder and hope. The moon, Mars, onwards are dreams that keep our society growing, learning and striving. I can't quote the source, but someone once said that when a society loses its desire to explore, it withers up and fades away. Also, the astronauts that have seen how small and fragile our Earth is just by "covering" it with a thumb come back profoundly changed and respectful of our "tiny blue marble." Would that we all could get a taste of that.

I am a passionate supporter of space exploration and colonization--especially as a failsafe if we should stupidly destroy our home. But I am also a passionate supporter of saving our home planet too, and of helping trees, animals, starving children, etc. In my book, they all go hand in hand.

+Quote Post
Piran
post Feb 7 2008, 07:42 AM
Post #15

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,045

QUOTE (Deem @ Feb 6 2008, 04:46 PM) *
I am a passionate supporter of space exploration and colonization--especially as a failsafe if we should stupidly destroy our home. But I am also a passionate supporter of saving our home planet too, and of helping trees, animals, starving children, etc. In my book, they all go hand in hand.

If the US spent just a fraction of the money they put toward space exploration into building recycling centers around the country, I sure would feel a lot better. We are all encouraged, and in some forward communities- required, to recycle. But so many places say that building a recycling facility is not "economical". It would be great if the places that have good programs in place would help others set up their own programs and show them that recycling really can work! I think that it is time that recycling becomes a NATIONAL issue.
Sorry, slightly off topic. oops.gif frumpy.gif

Back on topic: Why does The Fifth Elementkeep coming to mind???? confused1.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th December 2019 - 03:47 PM