shannara
post Jan 30 2007, 02:41 PM
Post #1

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Group: Explorer
Member No.: 4,865

Hello Greeters!

I seem to have a little problem with connection.
The problem starts when I get the screen Preparing to link.
The error says: Network problem and Set Active Player Failed.
Is the server down?
Further more when I exit the game I can't get to any websites and need to reboot computer.After that my connection runs fine.Before I start up the game my internet is ok as well.
Some advice for this explorer maybe?smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rex Havoc
post Jan 30 2007, 03:46 PM
Post #2

Retired GuildMaster
Group Icon

Group: Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 2,857

I don't believe the server is having problems, as I just was able to get in and also, you would not be getting as far as you are. Is this something that just started happening? Is this a new installation or the first time back in after an update? I am guessing that there is a setting issue on your end, but hope others might be able to zone in on it better than I...

--------------------

Ki# 651166

+Quote Post
dadguy
post Jan 30 2007, 03:59 PM
Post #3

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 28

It could be related to the quality and speed of your broadband signal. A few questions:

1. Where are you playing from (country)?

2. Please test your Braodband speed using this link.

http://www.speedtest.net/

Click the Atlanta icon on the USA map, then run the test. Let us know your Ping time, your Download Speed, and your Upload speed.

If you'll do this and reply here, I can comment on whether your Broadband connection may be in question.

Cheers,

Dadguy

+Quote Post
IBnetweasel
post Jan 30 2007, 05:03 PM
Post #4

Proud Papa
Group Icon

Member No.: 734

I have had a similar issue. I was linking to the hood the other night and crashed...then when I logged back in and tried to link in with my avatar...I got this error...
"There has been a Network error. Please try
again. If problem persists, please contact support."
Then I click OK and get the following error message:
"UNTRANSLATED: SetActivePlayer failed:
No response from server."

I think something in my install got corrupted when it crashed because I can't even start a new avatar or even link in using my second account. This was in my stand-alone version of the game...so I linked in through GameTap and (after downloading 3hours of updates) made it is successfully...that has been working for me since.

make sure you report it to Cyan support.urulive.com...and I hope you are able to find a work around...
IB

--------------------
Let your mind open and follow what your heart desires. Look to the stars, explore your surroundings, and let yourself go.
Life is a journey...make your path!

+Quote Post
L'lee
post Jan 30 2007, 05:23 PM
Post #5

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Guild Master (GM)
Member No.: 1,084

I believe the stand-alone client has become problematic for many people, and Cyan has stated that they want everyone to go through the GameTap interface now, so make sure you are doing that, first, too...

--------------------
When asked if my cup is half-full or half-empty my response is,
"I am thankful that I have a cup!"

+Quote Post
dadguy
post Jan 30 2007, 05:36 PM
Post #6

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 28

Yes, I think IB and L'lee are onto the problem. With launch coming in two weeks, Cyan and Gametap have made it clear that we should be logging in through Gametap rather than the stand-alone client. I have been using GameTap since the Dec 20th "Preview".

Dadguy

+Quote Post
shannara
post Jan 31 2007, 03:29 AM
Post #7

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

QUOTE (dadguy @ Jan 30 2007, 10:36 PM) *
Yes, I think IB and L'lee are onto the problem. With launch coming in two weeks, Cyan and Gametap have made it clear that we should be logging in through Gametap rather than the stand-alone client. I have been using GameTap since the Dec 20th "Preview".

Dadguy

I just installed the way it said in my email I recieved and was able to make my avatar and play for a few hours.The following day I could not log in and still can't.
My ping is 157 MS
Download is 2629 KBPS
Upload is 324 KBPS
I am from holland.
Would a clean install fix the problem or is this explorer fininshed exploring before she even started?
And how do I link through gametap?The download was not long at all for me when I installed it.
Oh and another silly queston,please dont laugh at my clumpsyness, do I need to have the uru CD installed as well?

+Quote Post
Cleft
post Jan 31 2007, 08:34 AM
Post #8

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 358

QUOTE (shannara @ Jan 31 2007, 09:29 AM) *
I just installed the way it said in my email I recieved and was able to make my avatar and play for a few hours.The following day I could not log in and still can't.
My ping is 157 MS
Download is 2629 KBPS
Upload is 324 KBPS
I am from holland.
Would a clean install fix the problem or is this explorer fininshed exploring before she even started?

Hmm strange.. you could play before, but I've read other people had problems also now who could play before down.gif

But if you're using a nvidia LAN interface you could try to disable the "checksum offload" on your network controller and see if that helps. I found this on the Myst Online forums on how you can disable it:
QUOTE (MustardJeep on Myst Online forums)
This fix is applicable to XP computers that have Nvidia based network port, and are reciving generic Network Error 6 during the login process. Usually happend to me on the last inch or so of the loading progress bar. The simplest way to see if this might help you is to run the checklist, if you have "Checksum Offload" as a available option it should be disabled to improve your connection to the Uru servers.

Here is how I disabled it
1. Open My Network Places
2. Click view network connections in the "Network Tasks" pane
3. Right-Click your active LAN connection, then click properties
4. Click the "Configure" button this should be to the right of the textfield with the name of the LAN connection in it.
5. Click on the advanced tab of the port controller properties window that opened up.
6. CheckSum offload should be in a box on the left of that tab Click on it, and a option to enable/disable it in a dropdown box on the right.

You can read the whole reply here if you want.

And how do I link through gametap?The download was not long at all for me when I installed it.

Because you're from The Netherlands you can't use Gametap. You need to use the stand alone client you have downloaded and installed to play Myst Online.

Oh and another silly queston,please dont laugh at my clumpsyness, do I need to have the uru CD installed as well?

No you don't need the Uru CD, just the Myst Online client you have downloaded smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
L'lee
post Jan 31 2007, 09:16 AM
Post #9

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Guild Master (GM)
Member No.: 1,084

QUOTE (shannara @ Jan 31 2007, 02:29 AM) *
My ping is 157 MS
Download is 2629 KBPS
Upload is 324 KBPS
I am from holland.

Ah, so as Cleft says you can't use GameTap, you *do* have to go through the stand-alone client. I don't know if a clean install will work, but sometimes it does fix things... just know that your progress and characters are all saved on the GameTap/Cyan servers, so you shouldn't lose any of your progress by doing a clean install...

However, I would use that only as a last resort. Try following Cleft's suggestions, and if that doesn't help, then contact Cyan's Tech Support and see what they recommend... before you try a complete re-install.

--------------------
When asked if my cup is half-full or half-empty my response is,
"I am thankful that I have a cup!"

+Quote Post
shannara
post Jan 31 2007, 10:30 AM
Post #10

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

QUOTE (L @ Jan 31 2007, 02:16 PM) *
QUOTE (shannara @ Jan 31 2007, 02:29 AM) *

My ping is 157 MS
Download is 2629 KBPS
Upload is 324 KBPS
I am from holland.

Ah, so as Cleft says you can't use GameTap, you *do* have to go through the stand-alone client. I don't know if a clean install will work, but sometimes it does fix things... just know that your progress and characters are all saved on the GameTap/Cyan servers, so you shouldn't lose any of your progress by doing a clean install...

However, I would use that only as a last resort. Try following Cleft's suggestions, and if that doesn't help, then contact Cyan's Tech Support and see what they recommend... before you try a complete re-install.

I was under the understanding that I could use gametap,I have a gametap account and used the download link in my email,wich worked fine.Then my nexr question is: where is the stand alone client?
Also I have gone to my network places but I am very reluctant to change anything there.
Further I can't find cheksumm off anywhere.

+Quote Post
Cleft
post Jan 31 2007, 11:02 AM
Post #11

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 358

QUOTE (shannara @ Jan 31 2007, 04:30 PM) *
I was under the understanding that I could use gametap,I have a gametap account and used the download link in my email,wich worked fine.Then my nexr question is: where is the stand alone client?
Also I have gone to my network places but I am very reluctant to change anything there.

You can only use gametap to download the client. Gametap is currently only availbale for people from the USA/Canada. So if you don't live there, you can play Myst Online only with the stand alone client.
Since you already have played the game you don't have to install it again. You just need to look where you placed the shortcut to start the game.
Look on your desktop for a book icon called "Myst Online". That's the stand alone client and the progam you should run. If it's not on your dekstop, look in Start --> Programs --> Cyan Worlds (I think... can't look it up right now) and see if you can find it there.

There's another way to find the "Checksum" option.
Go to Start --> Settings/Instellingen -- > Control Panel/Configuratieschrem --> Network Connection /Netwerk verbindingen
Then right click on your LAN connection and select "Properties/Eigenschappen"
On the window you get, press the "Configure/Cinfigureren" button you see in the top right corner.
You will get another window with the properties of your network card.
Select the "Advanced/Geadvanceerd" tab.
Here you will see a list of some settings you can change. The Checksumm Offload option should be in that list if it's available and you can change it's value to "Disable/Uitschakelen".

Hope it helped smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
shannara
post Jan 31 2007, 12:29 PM
Post #12

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Cleft @ Jan 31 2007, 04:02 PM) *
QUOTE (shannara @ Jan 31 2007, 04:30 PM) *

You can only use gametap to download the client. Gametap is currently only availbale for people from the USA/Canada. So if you don't live there, you can play Myst Online only with the stand alone client.
Since you already have played the game you don't have to install it again. You just need to look where you placed the shortcut to start the game.
Look on your desktop for a book icon called "Myst Online". That's the stand alone client and the progam you should run. If it's not on your dekstop, look in Start --> Programs --> Cyan Worlds (I think... can't look it up right now) and see if you can find it there.

There's another way to find the "Checksum" option.
Go to Start --> Settings/Instellingen -- > Control Panel/Configuratieschrem --> Network Connection /Netwerk verbindingen
Then right click on your LAN connection and select "Properties/Eigenschappen"
On the window you get, press the "Configure/Cinfigureren" button you see in the top right corner.
You will get another window with the properties of your network card.
Select the "Advanced/Geadvanceerd" tab.
Here you will see a list of some settings you can change. The Checksumm Offload option should be in that list if it's available and you can change it's value to "Disable/Uitschakelen".

Hope it helped smile.gif

The first time I logged in the game I used the shortcut on my desktop.Is that the standalone?I had no problems at all logging in the first time though.
Let me try and explain wht I do and see when I go to my network connection:

I right click on my lan connection and see the option where I can configurate.
I indeed see a list and this is the list:
Network(MAC)Adresses
Networkmedia
Recieve buffer count

At the Network(MAC)Adresses it says Not Present
At Network Media I see Auto Sense and I can change that
At recieve buffer point the value is set at 40

So where do I change what and am I in the right spot and more important, Does it makes sence what I wrote and see? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Dan-iel
post Jan 31 2007, 03:02 PM
Post #13

Uru Fan
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,458

QUOTE (shannara @ Jan 30 2007, 02:41 PM) *
Hello Greeters!

Is the server down?
Further more when I exit the game I can't get to any websites and need to reboot computer.After that my connection runs fine.Before I start up the game my internet is ok as well.

I now am unable to connect too, and my computer has a SiS video card - Unsupported by GameTap. My URU Live days are over I believe, until I upgrade the computer, which will probably be quite awhile, since this one is working fine for everything BUT GameTap.

I had finally decided to subscribe, and paid, then couldn't get past a black sign on screen for GameTap. Customer Support confirmed that my video card is not supported, and also said that SiS has not and most likely will not help GT with developing drivers.

down.gif

--------------------
I use multi-billion dollar government property to find Tupperware in the woods. What do you do? geocaching.com

+Quote Post
shannara
post Jan 31 2007, 03:07 PM
Post #14

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Dan-iel @ Jan 31 2007, 08:02 PM) *
QUOTE (shannara @ Jan 30 2007, 02:41 PM) *

Hello Greeters!

Is the server down?

I now am unable to connect too, and my computer has a SiS video card - Unsupported by GameTap. My URU Live days are over I believe, until I upgrade the computer, which will probably be quite awhile, since this one is working fine for everything BUT GameTap.

I had finally decided to subscribe, and paid, then couldn't get past a black sign on screen for GameTap. Customer Support confirmed that my video card is not supported, and also said that SiS has not and most likely will not help GT with developing drivers.

down.gif

I am sorry to hear that.
I was able to log on once so am not ready to give up.
Maybe there will be a fix soon or more solutions smile.gif

+Quote Post
kurtg1265
post Jan 31 2007, 03:47 PM
Post #15

Cactus King
Group Icon

Group: Veteran Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 93

I might add that if you are running any type of a firewall on your computer, double check that it may not be blocking MOUL from starting after an update or whatever.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2019 - 02:40 PM