Gehn123
post Aug 12 2008, 07:02 PM
Post #1

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Group: Explorer
Member No.: 273

Shorah.

I've been "out of the loop" Mystwise ever since shortly after EoA. I've considered returning, and I've decided to replay all the games first. But I have a problem.

Now, I've always played realMyst as MME and the original Myst don't work perfectly on my computer. However, I decided to give MME a shot. When the autoplay begins, I hit Install. The autoplay closes, nothing happens, but Setup.exe is clearly running in processes.

After a while, I couldn't figure anything out, I decided to be lazy and just install realMyst. THE SAME ERROR! verymad.gif

I've installed the games successfully on this machine before, so I don't know what's different this time around.

--------------------
user posted image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rex Havoc
post Aug 13 2008, 03:27 PM
Post #2

Retired GuildMaster
Group Icon

Group: Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 2,857

Hmm, I loaded RealMyst without any glitch. I'd make sure that there are no programs running, turn off virus protection and spam protection, (those can give you fits, at times) and if possible, close any unnecessary programs showing in your task bar.

--------------------

Ki# 651166

+Quote Post
L'lee
post Aug 13 2008, 04:30 PM
Post #3

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Guild Master (GM)
Member No.: 1,084

I have found that antivirus software can be one of the biggest culprits for corrupting software installations...so make sure you are following Rex's advice first off...

Just curious... have you perhaps updated/upgraded your OS at all since the last time you installed RealMyst? Installed a new service pack? upgraded any media player type of things (e.g. flash player, windows media player, etc.)

--------------------
When asked if my cup is half-full or half-empty my response is,
"I am thankful that I have a cup!"

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Aug 13 2008, 06:43 PM
Post #4

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Website Contributor (Greeter)
Member No.: 4,706

I'm trying to remember if it was realMYST that requires the old Intel Indeo CODEC. I remember having to go out searching the internet to get that for something Myst related. That CODEC was not included in my Vista install. So far, only realMYST has defied all my tricks to get a Myst game to run on Vista. verymad.gif

This post has been edited by J'iim: Aug 13 2008, 06:44 PM

+Quote Post
kurtg1265
post Aug 13 2008, 06:50 PM
Post #5

Cactus King
Group Icon

Group: Veteran Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 93

Normally, just opening the files on the disc and finding the setup.exe, then changing the compatibility mode to either Windows 95 or 98, should work. Never had to do more than that myself.

--------------------

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Aug 13 2008, 06:55 PM
Post #6

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Website Contributor (Greeter)
Member No.: 4,706

QUOTE (kurtg1265 @ Aug 13 2008, 06:50 PM) *
Normally, just opening the files on the disc and finding the setup.exe, then changing the compatibility mode to either Windows 95 or 98, should work. Never had to do more than that myself.

Tried that in Vista... no joy. Vista should have been called a Myst game because you spend most of your time trying to solve convoluted puzzles.

+Quote Post
Gehn123
post Aug 14 2008, 09:33 AM
Post #7

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

I managed to get it working. Somehow the cause was McAfee's SiteAdvisor plugin for my browser. I don't use McAfee as an AV software. WEIRD!

Either way, disabling them made the installations work.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Rex Havoc
post Aug 14 2008, 12:39 PM
Post #8

Retired GuildMaster
Group Icon

Group: Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 2,857

Ha! It was virus protection related! There should be a law... lmao.gif I might try loading RealMyst onto my notebook, which is Vista, and see if that works. (Main compy is still XP) Something to do while I'm in Kingman, AZ, again, next week. (OK, Kurt, I hope you are happy, I'm back during the cool summer months!!)

--------------------

Ki# 651166

+Quote Post
Gehn123
post Aug 16 2008, 09:26 AM
Post #9

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Nah. The best part is that I use Norton, and my friend who is a McAfee lover and always rants about how bad Norton is, well, now I have an excuse!

McAfee hates Myst. ph34r.gif

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2019 - 05:25 PM