> Patching Uk Edition Of Realmyst
Michael Straight
post Jun 22 2006, 01:45 PM
Post #1

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Group: Explorer
Member No.: 4,183

My kids enjoyed playing Exile so much, I thought I'd let them try the original Myst. I thought realMyst might make it easier for them orient themselves, but as you know, it's pretty hard to find.

I finally got a pretty good deal on eBay, but I ended up with the UK edition.

I downloaded the patch, but it doesn't work with the UK edition of the game. The thing is, according to the changelog, the patch fixes a ton of errors and adds a whole bunch of useful navigational features (I'd love to be able to invert the mouse, for instance).

Is there any way of getting the patch installed on this edition?

Are the two editions really that different? It looks like the patch installer is actually getting stuck because the readme.txt is not what it expects. Might there be some way to trick the patch installer into thinking I had the USA edition?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CAGrayWolf
post Jun 22 2006, 04:19 PM
Post #2

The Wolfmeister
Group Icon

Group: Retired Greeter
Member No.: 35

Shorah Michael and welcome to the Guild of Greeters! thumbsup.gif

According to Cyan, the UK version of realMYST already has all the patches incorporated into the game program and is why the installer will not work. Only the US version requires the patch, because it was released before the patch was available. In other words, yes, they are that different and there is no need to install the patch. The fixes are already in there. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Michael Straight
post Jun 23 2006, 08:12 PM
Post #3

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Well, that's good news.

Is there a way then to change the mouse settings? The only options I have when I run realMystSetup.exe are Glide or D3D (I actually have a Glide-capable Voodoo card, believe it or not), screen resolution, and texture quality (and a greyed-out anti-aliasing checkbox).

Thanks for the response and the welcome, CAGrayWolf.

+Quote Post
CAGrayWolf
post Jun 24 2006, 12:36 PM
Post #4

The Wolfmeister
Group Icon

Group: Retired Greeter
Member No.: 35

QUOTE (Michael Straight @ Jun 23 2006, 06:12 PM) *
Is there a way then to change the mouse settings?

It has been a couple of years since I last played realMYST, so would have to go look again. I'm pretty sure I still have it installed, though. I will try to take a look sometime today.

The only options I have when I run realMystSetup.exe are Glide or D3D (I actually have a Glide-capable Voodoo card, believe it or not), screen resolution, and texture quality (and a greyed-out anti-aliasing checkbox).

I have never heard of these options coming up and I have no knowledge of Voodoo video cards, so will have to leave this to someone more knowledgeable. Perhaps Tech can help with this?

Thanks for the response and the welcome, CAGrayWolf.

You're more than welcome ... and glad to be of help. thumbsup.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kurtg1265
post Jun 24 2006, 08:44 PM
Post #5

Cactus King
Group Icon

Group: Veteran Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 93

QUOTE (CAGrayWolf @ Jun 24 2006, 10:36 AM) *
The only options I have when I run realMystSetup.exe are Glide or D3D (I actually have a Glide-capable Voodoo card, believe it or not), screen resolution, and texture quality (and a greyed-out anti-aliasing checkbox).

I have never heard of these options coming up and I have no knowledge of Voodoo video cards, so will have to leave this to someone more knowledgeable. Perhaps Tech can help with this?

Those are the only options you will get. There is no mouse adjustment. You will most likely want to go with D3D and is also probably selected by default. Then you chose your video card settings (which on mine is either D3D HAL or D3D T&L HAL.

These settings are found by going to all programs on the start menu and selecting the folder you have realMyst installed to. Inside that is a realMyst setup to get the setup menu.

This post has been edited by kurtg1265: Jun 24 2006, 08:45 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Michael Straight
post Jun 24 2006, 10:38 PM
Post #6

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

It sounds to me like y'all are telling me that the UK edition of realMyst has (according to Cyan) all the bugfixes addressed in the patch for the USA edition, but none of the extra features the patch adds?

I'm thinking of this stuff from the patch readme:
New Features of Patch 1.1: Advanced Options

Game Key Combinations

* CTRL, SHIFT, PLUS to increase brightness.
* CTRL, SHIFT, MINUS to decrease brightness.
* CTRL, SHIFT, PLUS, MINUS to reset brightness.

realMYSTSetup.exe Options

Mouse Options

* Speed: Sets cursor sensitivity and speed.
* DeadZone: The size of the center area in which the cursor can roam. (Set to OFF for FPS style controls.)
* Cursor Sleep Time: Sets how long you have to stand still before the cursor disappears.
* InvertMouse: Inverted deltas on mouse resemble flight-stick style.

Movement Options

* Walking Speed: Sets how fast you walk forward and backward.
* Strafing Speed: Sets how fast you slide side-to-side. (Advanced Mappings must be turned on.)
* Advanced Mapping: Enable ASDW for movement and strafe. (Press CTRL to hide the cursor; Press Y to take a screen shot–TGA format.)

I've played so many first-person shooters with the mouse inverted that it really messes with my head trying to play a game like this where you can't invert the mouse. (I haven't had this problem since I played Ultima IX). But I suppose I can live with it, or let my kids do all the driving, so long as I've got the bugfixes.

I wonder how many files you'd have to change to convert a UK version of the game to a USA version?

+Quote Post
kurtg1265
post Jun 25 2006, 02:01 AM
Post #7

Cactus King
Group Icon

Group: Veteran Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 93

Ah -I should have mentioned above that it is an unpatched version. I played through it without having to install any patch.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th November 2019 - 10:04 AM