indy
post Aug 3 2005, 06:02 PM
Post #1

Grand Master
Group Icon

Group: Veteran Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 63

I'm getting very frustrated with this game ranting.gif

When I bought the game it installed and worked with no problem. I played hapily until I had a harddisk crash. I managed to make a copy of the save files but the disk was lost so I had to buy a new one and do a complete install of Win XP SP2

Everything is working like it should and I have no problems at all with other games. I have DirectX 9c and the latest nvidia drivers.

Myst 4 installed ok but when I start the game I get no mouse cursor at the first menu (the book). I tried other drivers reinstall from directx but no luck.

When I install the save files from my backup I do get a mouse cursor but it will only move up and down on the left side of the screen.

This is driving me crazy. Who has an idea what can be wrong?

Indy

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ayli
post Aug 3 2005, 07:22 PM
Post #2

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Guild Master (GM)
Member No.: 7

Indy, are you having problems only with this game? What kind of mouse do you have? Serial or USB? Did you try to upgrade mouse drivers. Did you try to use some other mouse?

--------------------

+Quote Post
UruBoo
post Aug 3 2005, 07:42 PM
Post #3

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 61

Hummm confused1.gif .... maybe you forgot to update your mouse drivers? When you reinstall everything due to a replaced HD, it's pretty easy to forget to update something. No one can remember everything you had before doing it. If you have an optical mouse, and a good one, don't let MS take control of it. Install the manufacture's one and see if it can help smile.gif . And if it is an USB mouse, try to unplug it while you're in game and then replug it... who knows innocent.gif .

--------------------

+Quote Post
Shadowcats
post Aug 3 2005, 10:30 PM
Post #4

Wizard of Oz
Group Icon

Group: Retired Greeter
Member No.: 409

Not sure if this would help but try installing the Myst 4 Patch it might fix this up.
I did have a problem from what I can remember when I first installed Myst4
I had to install the latest mouse drivers and change the speed settings
for the mouse to move in myst 4
otherwise it just stayed in the center and jumped left/right when I moved the mouse not fluently like it was suposed to.
Hope this helps.

--------------------
Of all the things I've lost.....
I miss my mind the most..

+Quote Post
indy
post Aug 4 2005, 02:48 AM
Post #5

Grand Master
Group Icon

Thanks for the help this makes me feel better but unfortunately the tips do not solve it cry.gif

1) I have only problems with this game

2) It is a optical USB mouse from Microsoft. So I have to let MS take over wink3.gif I can try unplugging but I think that is not going to help

3) I installed the latest Myst 4 patch so that also did not solve it.

I read on the Ubi forums that there are more people with this problem. It started with the demo and also more people reported this with the release version. These post where from last and beginning this year. I could find no solution yet.

I tried until 01:30 and got it "kind of" working. This sounds like an episode of the twilight zone;

I had only one user (admin rights) installed. I created a new user. When I start the game with this user I do get a mouse and can play the game. As soon as I try to start the game with the first user the mouse pointer is gone again. I can only play with the second user. confused1.gif? Well I am. This is one of the strangest errors I have seen in my live.

Happy that I can play again I copied my save files from my back up. There was the next surprise down.gif I can only see the first 3 save files and not the other later ones. I was to tired to look into this. I hope I can get my save files back. I do not want to get that chair working again down.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
UruBoo
post Aug 4 2005, 09:01 AM
Post #6

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Indy, I guess you're computer (or mouse) is haunted! Well, it is August, and the 13th is around the corner innocent.gif ...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Norfren
post Aug 4 2005, 03:32 PM
Post #7

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 59

Indy, I think your system is healthy... it might be some unfortunate misunderstanding between the program and your system, a timing factor is slightly off or something similar. Did you try to change some settings from the Control panel | Mouse options? To slow down the pointer speed? Did you try to use another older mouse plugged into the mouse port?

--------------------

Second Life: Norfren Zaius - WoW: Norfren at Draenor

+Quote Post
indy
post Aug 4 2005, 05:34 PM
Post #8

Grand Master
Group Icon

I tried changing the mouse speed but that also did not help down.gif

It has to do with profiles. The new user I created can play Myst 4. Here I have a mouse pointer that works. As soon as I switch back to my normal user I have a mouse pointer that is stuck at the left side again.

The only thing that changes when switching users are the profile settings. Not the drivers etc. So there must be somthing different between the profiles of user 1 and user 2. This is not easy to find out down.gif

I read on the Ubi forum that there are more people with the same problem. No solution was posted. I filed a bug report at UBU support, maybe they know a solution.

I'm going to keep user 2 just to play Myst4.

Also I have to play the game from scratch again. I can not load my old save files. They might be corrupted. I can load the 3 oldest ones but not the later ones. (The one where I solved the chair verymad.gif ) To make it even worse, I can also not fins my notes verymad.gif That should teach me to clean up my desk once in a while tongue.gif

To it is back to the start again.

--------------------

+Quote Post
UruBoo
post Aug 4 2005, 08:23 PM
Post #9

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Have you notice that Norfen, Myself and Indy member #s are 59, 61 and 63 greeter members? Who are the 60th and 62nd? I should buy a lottery number and see if I can win....

Anyway, that's strange Indy. Just change the profile user and you can play? As you said, there are more people with the same issue. I really want to know what's the reason for this. I am curious on what Ubi has to say about this, if they have an answer to it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
indy
post Aug 5 2005, 02:27 AM
Post #10

Grand Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (UruBoo @ Aug 5 2005, 03:23 AM)
Have you notice that Norfen, Myself and Indy member #s are 59, 61 and 63 greeter members? Who are the 60th and 62nd? I should buy a lottery number and see if I can win....

Yes we are old timers aren't we tongue.gif
number 60 is .....
Click here to view a spoiler.

Number 62 is Guy but he hasn't been on the forum since 8th September 2004 - 06:07 PM, or he must have been lurking without logging in

QUOTE (UruBoo @ Aug 5 2005, 03:23 AM)
Anyway, that's strange Indy. Just change the profile user and you can play? As you said, there are more people with the same issue. I really want to know what's the reason for this. I am curious on what Ubi has to say about this, if they have an answer to it.

Yes isn't it strange? I wonder if Ubi is going to send me a solution other as a long list of how to re-install, clean everything include temp internet files etc.
I'll keep you posted

--------------------

+Quote Post
DaDungeon
post Aug 5 2005, 02:35 AM
Post #11

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Retired Greeter
Member No.: 146

Indy?
Would you like for me to stick my journal entry on the chair back online right away?

It would be way out of order . . .
for the rest of my Spires journal entries . . .
but I can stick it up . . .
as an initial foray into the new format for the Spires Journal.

The pathfinder, so to speak.

--------------------
The Guild of Doofi Prophetess suddenly displays a strange photo:

+Quote Post
indy
post Aug 5 2005, 03:21 AM
Post #12

Grand Master
Group Icon

QUOTE (DaDungeon @ Aug 5 2005, 09:35 AM)
Indy?
Would you like for me to stick my journal entry on the chair back online right away?

Thanks for the offer
It is so kind of you
like always
But I have to do
what I have to do
Like reading a book twice
new things will be seen
When I fail I know where to go

--------------------

+Quote Post
Norfren
post Aug 6 2005, 05:02 PM
Post #13

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 59

Indy, both users are admins? or normal? or 50-50?

I have a similar spooky case at home with three connected PCs. All PCs have the same Photoshop installed. At me it works OK. At my daughter it starts up only, if my PC is turned on. At my son it starts up only, if the PC of my daughter is turned on. Otherwise the program freezes during the start-up. If the other PC is started there while Photoshop is in frozen state here, the program revives here and finishes the startup procedure. After this the other PC can be turned off, Photoshop continues flawlessly. verymad.gif

This post has been edited by Norfren: Aug 6 2005, 05:03 PM

--------------------

Second Life: Norfren Zaius - WoW: Norfren at Draenor

+Quote Post
UruBoo
post Aug 7 2005, 09:25 PM
Post #14

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Norfren, all your PCs are haunted... Try to exorcise them shock.gif .

--------------------

+Quote Post
indy
post Aug 8 2005, 04:13 AM
Post #15

Grand Master
Group Icon

Norfren,

I tried with normal and admin users. The second user works either as normal or as admin.

concerning your problem: This could be because of a shared newtwork drive. Did you daughter work with a picture on a shared network drive of your PC? Photoshop might try to connect to this drive. Because your PC is not on it will wait for a TCP/IP timeout. Switching your PC on enables the network drive and photoshop will start. Also Photoshop calls home to see if there are any updates. Are you using internet connection sharing on your PC?

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2019 - 02:25 PM