J'iim
post Feb 17 2008, 08:23 AM
Post #1

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Website Contributor (Greeter)
Member No.: 4,706

Very interesting...

As a test, I loaded Myst Masterpiece Edition on to a PC running Vista Business Edition. I fully expected it NOT to run but surprisingly, it did shock.gif.

Here are the steps I used to get it running:
1) I removed the current version of Quicktime (v7)
2) Run the setup from the Myst ME CD
3) I let the install program load both Quicktime 4.1 and DirectX 6
4) Run the program... smile.gif I did not change anything in Vista (compatibilty mode or screen res)

Notes:
I have User Account Control turned off because it is ANNOYING! I do not think this it is necessary to turn this off.
After getting the program running I loaded QT 6.5.2 and it still ran.
After getting it to run under QT 6.5.2, I loaded the current QT 7 version (w/o Itunes)... and it still ran clapping.gif

I have a widescreen monitor but even when I set a 4:3 screen res like 800x600, the game still stretches to fill the entire 16x10 aspect ratio of the monitor. This is in defiance of my video card settings to maintain screen aspect ratio of the game so I have no idea how get an unstretched image.

The sound seems to be a bit choppy if your disk is busy (Vista just had to go index all those new files while I starting up the game and watching the intro videos angry.gif but the game seems entirely playable at first look. I will have to go through the entire game to see if there are any other issues.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Feb 17 2008, 12:32 PM
Post #2

Uru Guru
Group Icon

LOL, this did not turn out as clean as I had hoped. I tried to install realMYST on Vista and it simply will not run. Also I found out that after installing QT 4.1 and then 6.5 and then 7.whatever, I could not no longer open the QT player... complained it could not find the QT activeX control. Uninstalling QT 7 breaks Myst ME but running the QT installer for 4.1 from the CD makes it work again. Loading QT 6.5 on top makes it run a bit better.

realMyst seems to be a real problem smile.gif... it requires Indeo Codecs (which I installed but it did not help) and just stops working after you launch it. Searching the web I found a lot of suggestions but no real solutions to this known problem.

So the list of Myst program I can run under Vista includes Myst ME, Riven, Myst III:Exile, Myst IV:Revelation, and Myst V:EoA.

+Quote Post
William H. Maier
post Feb 22 2008, 11:10 AM
Post #3

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 3,168

I have downloaded all 5 Myst games on Vista with no problems and use GT for Real Myst with out changing any programs bye2.gif

--------------------
John 14:6 KJV
"The purpose of life's ride is not to arrive at the grave with a perfectly preserved body.
But to come skidding slightly beat about the head and shoulders in sideways dusty and dirty,yelling,
"Wow! What a ride!"

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Feb 22 2008, 12:05 PM
Post #4

Uru Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (William H. Maier @ Feb 22 2008, 11:10 AM) *
I have downloaded all 5 Myst games on Vista with no problems and use GT for Real Myst with out changing any programs bye2.gif

I thought of trying that for realMYST. I'll give it a try since that's the only Myst game I do not have working on Vista. I'd like to revisit Rime again.

+Quote Post
William H. Maier
post Feb 22 2008, 04:15 PM
Post #5

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,168

Just don't try to download Rivin from GT, too much to change ranting.gif especially quick time. You have to delete new verson and download an old one which vista won't except.

--------------------
John 14:6 KJV
"The purpose of life's ride is not to arrive at the grave with a perfectly preserved body.
But to come skidding slightly beat about the head and shoulders in sideways dusty and dirty,yelling,
"Wow! What a ride!"

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Feb 22 2008, 04:40 PM
Post #6

Uru Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (William H. Maier @ Feb 22 2008, 04:15 PM) *
Just don't try to download Rivin from GT, too much to change ranting.gif especially quick time. You have to delete new verson and download an old one which vista won't except.

Ummm. I had no trouble loading QT 4.1 from the CD. It ran a bit choppy so I loaded 6.5.2. I don't use QT or Itunes so deleting version 7 was no loss for me. I believe QT 3 is the only version I couldn't install and there is supposed to be a way to make it install (have to modify the .INI file to NOT check for existing versions I think I read somewhere.)

Oops! you said riven... there is a way to make it run that I know of... whistling.gif at least for the CD version, not sure about GT download though). Let me try and find the way that is not in a gray area...

edit: found it! read this post from MOUL forum on how to get the old version of QT for Riven to install. I think you can go ahead and update it 6.5.2 afterwords. You might have to copy the first CD onto your hard drive to run the install from (so you can edit the INI file.)

This post has been edited by J'iim: Feb 22 2008, 04:50 PM

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Feb 22 2008, 05:20 PM
Post #7

Uru Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (William H. Maier @ Feb 22 2008, 11:10 AM) *

Surprise! realMYST from GT worked on my Vista system... never could get the original CD version to work. So I have every version of Myst loaded and working except for the original release of Myst (because I can't find my CD for it laugh.gif) That's six different games. thumbsup.gif

This post has been edited by J'iim: Feb 22 2008, 05:21 PM

+Quote Post
10milesfromnowhe...
post Apr 8 2009, 08:05 AM
Post #8

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Group: Explorer
Member No.: 6,004

Here's another solution to get things running, without having to uninstall/patch things.
You only need (access to) a copy of a Windows disk, I used Win98.

I came up with this because I didn't want to uninstall Quicktime (iTunes/iPod..)

* Install Microsoft Virtual PC (free on the Microsoft site)
* Install Win95 or Win98 or something (I have to admit I took the short way here and got an existing WIn98 image from usenet that auto opened in the virtual machine, since I didn't have an old disk at hand...)
* Install MYST on virtual machine

Free solution that doesn't require any hacks, and much less of an effort smile.gif

Tested on Vista Ultimate with the MYST 10th anniversary DVD and Win98 in the virtual machine.
I had no sound and am installing the sound driver on the virtual machine, which I assume will fix that problem (showed up in device manager as no drivers installed).

This post has been edited by 10milesfromnowhere: Apr 8 2009, 08:08 AM

+Quote Post
Etheldred
post Apr 14 2009, 09:32 AM
Post #9

Uru Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Retired Greeter
Member No.: 3,961

I am having problems with the same thing, only no matter which settings I have my screen on, the sound works but the screen is black. Though, the cursor does work, it's not crashed, or anything. Any tips, please?

--------------------

+Quote Post
10milesfromnowhe...
post Apr 14 2009, 09:49 AM
Post #10

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,004

QUOTE (Etheldred @ Apr 14 2009, 04:32 PM) *
I am having problems with the same thing, only no matter which settings I have my screen on, the sound works but the screen is black. Though, the cursor does work, it's not crashed, or anything. Any tips, please?

Black screen with working cursor is because MYST only runs on the Quicktime version that's on the disk, not on later versions. Solutions above smile.gif

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Apr 14 2009, 11:24 AM
Post #11

Uru Guru
Group Icon

The latest version of Quicktime that I have tested that allows Myst ME to work is version 6.5.2. If you have iTunes and/or QT7, you probably would have to uninstall them in order to load version 6. Once upon a time, you could have multiple versions of QT installed but I'm not sure that is possible with the current QT version. I have this irrational dislike of Apple that keeps me from wanting to mess with their products so I am not particularly versed in jiggering the files to do things to solve this particular problem. Maybe someone has enough QT knowledge to know if QT6 and QT7 can coexist or are mutually exclusive.

+Quote Post
Kath
post Mar 20 2010, 08:57 AM
Post #12

Uru Explorer
Group Icon

Member No.: 381

This may be somewhere on the forum but I didn't notice it. I saw this website and thought of you guys:

http://www.gog.com/en/search/sort/publisher/Cyan%20Inc

I haven't bought anything from them but I also haven't heard anything bad about them. Their game list does look fun and seems to take the hassle out of running the oldies on the new machines.

--------------------
"Strange as it may seem, my life is based on a true story"

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Mar 20 2010, 04:17 PM
Post #13

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Yes, supposedly Good Old Games has set the Myst games to work under Vista and (possibly) Win7. It's a nice resource for those who never played the offline games.

+Quote Post
D'anak
post Mar 21 2010, 08:49 AM
Post #14

Honorary Grand Pooh Bear
Group Icon

Member No.: 254

I still can't get on line with MOUL!
I am trying to get it going on my laptop that is running Vista...
I have tried most of the things I can think of and I still can't get to the character creation. I download the game (seems to work fine) ... I get to the CYAN intro ... it goes to the "updating" screen (with the dots rotating around the linking book) and then locks up the computer after a minute or so.
This is not a whimpy laptop either ... plenty of memory and speed ... but at this point, I have to CTL-ALT-Delete out of it to get off of the locked screen.

I'd love to join you all down there again, but I just can't even get in.

Any thoughts would be helpful confused1.gif worship.gif

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Mar 21 2010, 12:54 PM
Post #15

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Some intel chipsets are incompatible with the game... what graphics chipset does your laptop have? (check device manager)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th November 2019 - 10:44 PM