> Exile Install Problems, can't re-install
Joseph
post Dec 4 2005, 05:09 PM
Post #1

Uru Explorer
Group Icon

Group: Explorer
Member No.: 3,472

I have an interesting problem with Exile.
Awhile ago I could play Exile fine on my computer, I had the four discs originally.
I uninstalled it after I had beaten it to free up some disc space. Later,recently, I've been trying to reinstall it to visit J'nanin and Voltaic and whatnot. I couldn't reinstall it. It acted as if the game was still installed, giving me a Play option. I tried it, but it said it couldn't find M3.exe
I've tried it with the DVD that comes with M4, same result.
On the Control Panel, it says that Exile is still installed, but it takes up 0.14 MB. Thats definatly not the full install!

Any ideas? confused1.gif

--------------------
...the more hope you bring to a new beginning...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
William H. Maier
post Dec 4 2005, 05:13 PM
Post #2

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 3,168

Try going to add/delete programs through control panel and see if it is still in there. If it is try deleting it through this program.

This post has been edited by William H. Maier: Dec 4 2005, 05:14 PM

--------------------
John 14:6 KJV
"The purpose of life's ride is not to arrive at the grave with a perfectly preserved body.
But to come skidding slightly beat about the head and shoulders in sideways dusty and dirty,yelling,
"Wow! What a ride!"

+Quote Post
Joseph
post Dec 5 2005, 03:33 PM
Post #3

Uru Explorer
Group Icon

I have tried it, the computer does absolutely nothing.

I'm just wondering if there is an install file left on my computer, making it seem as if the game is installed when it really isn't

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ayli
post Dec 5 2005, 04:09 PM
Post #4

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Guild Master (GM)
Member No.: 7

Joseph, see if any of the options will help out.

1. Search your computer for exile files. Delete them, including the directory.

2. If you have Norton System Works, you can check your Windows with "Windows Check" options. It will find orphan files or shortcuts that you can delete if you are sure what they are. Select "Let me choose" option in order to be in control of this operation.

3. Of course, if you are an Advanced user, you could check your Registry (regedit) for the orphan files and delete them. I would search for ubisoft or exile names. This is a dangerous option, so use it if you are really know what you are doing at your own risk.

Also don't forget to delete temp files in your temp directory. Make sure that view system files is turned on in your folder options and search for that folder.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ken Telinome
post Dec 5 2005, 04:42 PM
Post #5

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,259

If that doesn't work, you should be able to open the Exile CD (not autoplay it, actually view the files) and run the setup file there. That should force the game to install itself over, even if other files there are present. Good luck with this, Exile is quite the game!

--------------------

Avatar: Ken Telinome | KI: 00329185 | Blog: Living an Ecumenical Life

+Quote Post
Ayli
post Dec 5 2005, 08:32 PM
Post #6

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Found Click Fixer Plus at Download.com

See if it might help. Good luck.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Joseph
post Dec 6 2005, 06:17 PM
Post #7

Uru Explorer
Group Icon

QUOTE (Ken Telinome @ Dec 5 2005, 05:42 PM)
If that doesn't work, you should be able to open the Exile CD (not autoplay it, actually view the files) and run the setup file there.  That should force the game to install itself over, even if other files there are present.  Good luck with this, Exile is quite the game!

I have tried this, its really odd what happened.
It starts up as if it were re-installing, then it says that the game was sucsessfully uninstalled. Then I try to start it up and same thing as before happens.
It's really wierd!

I'm scanning with the Click fixer..... (fingers crossed)

This post has been edited by Joseph: Dec 6 2005, 06:23 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ken Telinome
post Dec 6 2005, 07:10 PM
Post #8

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,259

QUOTE (Joseph @ Dec 6 2005, 07:17 PM)
I have tried this, its really odd what happened.
It starts up as if it were re-installing, then it says that the game was sucsessfully uninstalled. Then I try to start it up and same thing as before happens.
It's really wierd!

shock.gif That is very odd indeed! The only other thing I can think of is trying to install the game into a different directory. I hope we get this worked out!

--------------------

Avatar: Ken Telinome | KI: 00329185 | Blog: Living an Ecumenical Life

+Quote Post
UruBoo
post Dec 7 2005, 06:10 AM
Post #9

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 61

That's really odd, Joseph, but not unusual. Sometimes, for that things that only happen in "computer business", something was left over in your Registry telling your Exile Installation program that it is still there.

The only solution, I'm afraid, is to deal with the registry using regedit (as Ayli pointed out). I have done that before, so, you can do it. If you do not have any Ubisoft game/program installed (other than Exile), do a search (F3) on Ubisoft and delete all instances that apear during your search.

After that, try to install de game again. It most probably will install this time. THEN, immediatly, UNINSTALL it again. Therefore, you will make sure it is removed from the 'puter along with some "left overs" smile.gif .

Reinstall it and enjoy it biggrin.gif .

(Note: if you are unconfortable using regedit 'cause you're afraid of causing damage to your system, try to call someone (a tech) you know understands the stuff)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Joseph
post Dec 7 2005, 10:54 AM
Post #10

Uru Explorer
Group Icon

That clickfixer thing was cool, but being a trial version, it would only fix 50 out of the *ahem* 500-some bugs it found, I dont know if that will actually do anything substantial, but hey, it's 50 bugs less.

What exactly is Regedit? Is that a program? Also, unfortunately, I do have other Ubisoft games(hard not to-seems like they publish everything nowadays) so I'm kinda afraid of deleting my saved games, but its worth a try.

Thanks guys!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ayli
post Dec 7 2005, 11:27 AM
Post #11

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Joseph, since you don't know what Registry is (it is one big file that keeps all the important information of the programs and hardware installed on your computer and it's configurations), best not to mess with it but buy this software. $30 could save you a lot of aggrivation. If you don't have Norton System Works, it might be worth to buy this one, as it includes a lot of other helpful utulities. Of course it's twice the price, but worth it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kurtg1265
post Dec 7 2005, 04:12 PM
Post #12

Cactus King
Group Icon

Group: Veteran Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 93

If you have that many 'bugs' found with that program, it may almost be easier to make a backup of anything you would like to save, wipe the hard drive and do a fresh install of Windows. That way you would be starting with a squeaky clean Windows install and should find that you have alot less problems.

If any program you use to fix those bugs starts pointing any of them to the wrong places (usually they make a sort of best guess as to where any loose ends should be tied to), then you could be having alot more problems on your hands. If you happen to do all 500 manually and know exactly where they should point to, then you may be ok though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Joseph
post Dec 7 2005, 07:10 PM
Post #13

Uru Explorer
Group Icon

Yeah ,our computer has almost 300 problems in the registry alone. I might have to get the software.
Is there some registry folder that I can directly search for Exile problems?

--------------------

+Quote Post
UruBoo
post Dec 7 2005, 10:15 PM
Post #14

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 61

Wow! I didn't know you have a lot of problems with your Registry, Joseph. In that case, start to mess with your Registry could be a pain in... you know what smile.gif . And also, you do have more Ubisoft programs installed in your 'puter. That really complicate the things.

I know I'm not being helpfull here but you should try to do what Kurt said: better backup your stuff, format your computer and reinstall everything. Sometimes, it's the best way to get rid of the bugs and you'll have a clean and smooth computer running innocent.gif .

Just for your info: I do the above every 4 months shock.gif ... ask Tech why I do this... (better close the "window", it's cold in here) lmao.gif .

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tyr-anun
post Dec 8 2005, 10:50 AM
Post #15

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Retired Greeter
Member No.: 2,097

Ditto to what Kurt and Boo say. A disk format and a fresh copy of the operating system should take care of the problems, and any others you may not even know about. From what you have posted, it sounds like you may never have done this on this computer (just guessing here), so in addition to ridding yourself of the problems, you will be amazed at how much faster your system is after the rebuild. I do it from time to time, and I am still amazed every time!

And having done a bit of poking around in the system registry, I can tell you that fixing that many problems (and not causing more) is just about impossible without intimate knowledge of where the damaged software stores its information in the registry . . . Save yourself some headaches and start from scratch. It will be faster to do it that way anyhow, and you will actually know what is on your system . . . at least at first. smile.gif

--------------------
Love is not an emotion . . . It's a choice.
WOOF!!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th December 2019 - 06:24 AM