> Help With Myst Revelation, won't open
rosynell
post Jun 10 2005, 01:03 PM
Post #1

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Group: Explorer
Member No.: 3,582

I more than meet the requirements for this game because URU works perfectly. But this game loaded fine and now will not open...help
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ghavin
post Jun 10 2005, 01:30 PM
Post #2

Uru Fan
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,399

QUOTE (rosynell @ Jun 10 2005, 07:03 PM)
I more than meet the requirements for this game because URU works perfectly.  But this game loaded fine and now will not open...help

OK, need a little more info here! What happens when you try to launch the game? How are launching the game (clicking the icon? Or inserting the disk a choosing to play? for example).

What operating system?
Which service pack?
What video board?
What version of directX?
Are you using a DVD drive or a DVD writer drive?

Any error messages or anything?

Let us know the above - I'm sure plenty here can help!

--------------------
Things are more like the were than they are now.

The Meeting Place Neighbourhood

My Relto

+Quote Post
rosynell
post Jun 11 2005, 04:08 AM
Post #3

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

QUOTE (ghavin @ Jun 10 2005, 07:30 PM)
QUOTE (rosynell @ Jun 10 2005, 07:03 PM)
I more than meet the requirements for this game because URU works perfectly.  But this game loaded fine and now will not open...help

OK, need a little more info here! What happens when you try to launch the game? How are launching the game (clicking the icon? Or inserting the disk a choosing to play? for example).

What operating system?
Which service pack?
What video board?
What version of directX?
Are you using a DVD drive or a DVD writer drive?

Any error messages or anything?

Let us know the above - I'm sure plenty here can help!

Thank you for responding. Here's what happens when I launch the game (I've tried from the Icon, programs, my computer ect. with this same result. It begins with the brown game board thing showing (I have disc 2 in my DVD...because disc 1 only offers help etc. ) The cyan symbol appears and then it crashes. I have e-mailed my computer guy for the rest of the info you asked for and will post it on Saturday PM.
I have windows ME and I downloaded Direct 9.0 I have new sound and video cards but need the exact info on these from my friend. Thank you again, nell

Here is the rest of my information:
I have windows ME
My video card is 64 meg.
I'm using a DVD drive
I downloaded Direct X from the game
I don't know what you mean by "which service pack" ?

Do I need windows XP ????

thank you again

Moderator Note

Merged 3 posts. Posts could be edited within 1 hour of posting

+Quote Post
Ayli
post Jun 11 2005, 02:00 PM
Post #4

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Guild Master (GM)
Member No.: 7

Hello Rosynell and welcome to GoG forum.

Win XP is a much superior operating system, compaired to ME. If you can upgrade to XP you will see an improvement in anything you do on your computer. Service pack referred to WinXP, the latest is SP2.

Rosynell, also, please specify what is your computer's configuration (for example, Intel 2.4GHz), how much memory your computer has (for example, 512MB)

The latest version of the DirectX is 9.0c.

Also important is the maker of the video card and its confiuguration.

So far, what seems to me the problem is that there might be not enough memory on your computer, anything below 512MB is low for the game like Myst IV.

How much hard disk space do you have? Your vurtual memory might not be enough too. So far I'm only guessing and your complete info might provide more clues of what the issue might be.

Wish you luck

--------------------

+Quote Post
rosynell
post Jun 12 2005, 02:32 PM
Post #5

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Ayli @ Jun 11 2005, 08:00 PM)
Hello Rosynell and welcome to GoG forum.

Win XP is a much superior operating system, compaired to ME. If you can upgrade to XP you will see an improvement in anything you do on your computer. Service pack referred to WinXP, the latest is SP2.

Rosynell, also, please specify what is your computer's configuration (for example, Intel 2.4GHz), how much memory your computer has (for example, 512MB)

The latest version of the DirectX is 9.0c.

Also important is the maker of the video card and its confiuguration.

So far, what seems to me the problem is that there might be not enough memory on your computer, anything below 512MB is low for the game like Myst IV.

How much hard disk space do you have? Your vurtual memory might not be enough too. So far I'm only guessing and your complete info might provide more clues of what the issue might be.

Wish you luck

OK, thanks for your patience. I am a novice with tech. stuff but I have completed the first 3 myst games. Going crazy with this one.
Here's what I know so far. I have 384 MB memory, which we are upgraring to 512 tomorrow. My vidoe card reads:
Kaser / 64 MB High performance NVIDIA GE force 2 MX-400 PCI GPU

Do I have to have XP for this game. I have spent $$$ already for this game, but will get if I HAVE to only.
I don't know about "comp confiruration" lost me here.
I downloaded Direct X 9.o directly from the game. Will that do?

Also I downloaded:
Myst IV v1.03 Patch 15.4 MB do I need this?

Also available:
Myst IV v1.2 Patch 41.1 MB (cancelled cause it was 2 hrs.)
do I need this?

Thanks, nell
Moderator Note

merged posts.

This post has been edited by Cleft: Jun 12 2005, 03:41 PM

+Quote Post
Ayli
post Jun 12 2005, 06:32 PM
Post #6

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Hello Nell smile.gif

Congratulations on getting more memory, it is always a bonus for your computer and any other programs/games you are going to use later on. The perfomance of your computer will only benefit from it.

Now your video card does look like a bit low end. The fact that it is a PCI and not AGP card, tells me that you have an older computer (I might be wrong on this, as I'm guessing).

I would suggest to download the patches and install them. I think the last patch will allow you to have subtitles, not sure of what else was fixed.

Also, Nell, all previous games that you said you finish were not as dememding on the compuer juice as Myst IV is.

Let us know if the improved memory will allow you to play the game. Also would be really helpful if you friend tell us presicely of your computer configuration.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ken Telinome
post Jun 13 2005, 01:17 AM
Post #7

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,259

PCI slots don't necessarily mean older compies. My compy was brand new last summer and I believe I use PCI. Preference I guess. I personally don't know the difference from a performance standpoint.

--------------------

Avatar: Ken Telinome | KI: 00329185 | Blog: Living an Ecumenical Life

+Quote Post
Ayli
post Jun 13 2005, 10:48 AM
Post #8

Uru Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (Ken Telinome @ Jun 13 2005, 02:17 AM)
PCI slots don't necessarily mean older compies.  My compy was brand new last summer and I believe I use PCI.  Preference I guess.  I personally don't know the difference from a performance standpoint.

bye2.gif Ken bye2.gif

Yes, the newest and hi-end computers this days sporting a PCI bus, but not the old PCI, it is called PCI Express. If you happened to have this kind of a video connection you are ahead of the AGP (Accelerated Graphic Port) curve. thumbsup.gif

Unless the computer is cheap-cheap, the PCI's are not used lately for the video cards, only for other computer componnents. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
rosynell
post Jun 13 2005, 11:21 PM
Post #9

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

QUOTE (Ayli @ Jun 13 2005, 12:32 AM)
Hello Nell smile.gif

Congratulations on getting more memory, it is always a bonus for your computer and any other programs/games you are going to use later on. The perfomance of your computer will only benefit from it.

Now your video card does look like a bit low end. The fact that it is a PCI and not AGP card, tells me that you have an older computer (I might be wrong on this, as I'm guessing).

I would suggest to download the patches and install them. I think the last patch will allow you to have subtitles, not sure of what else was fixed.

Also, Nell, all previous games that you said you finish were not as dememding on the compuer juice as Myst IV is.

Let us know if the improved memory will allow you to play the game. Also would be really helpful if you friend tell us presicely of your computer configuration.

Well, I added more memory and still won't run this game.
My only other thought is ti install windows XP. Do you think this will help?

Also, I found out that my configuration is 1 Ghz processer.

Thank You, Nell

Moderator Note

Spliced two posts done within 10 minutes of each other. Please use the edit function while within the one hour edit limit. Thank you.

This post has been edited by coelho_buda: Jun 14 2005, 12:46 PM

+Quote Post
rosynell
post Jun 15 2005, 12:46 PM
Post #10

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Please tell me if you think (before I spend any more $$$ trying to play this game) if having windows XP would help open and run Myst 4. My computer guy is sure it will, but it's PUSHING my budget this month...what do you think??? Thanks so much, Nell

+Quote Post
Tyr-anun
post Jun 15 2005, 01:46 PM
Post #11

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Retired Greeter
Member No.: 2,097

Nell, even if you don't absolutely need XP for this game, you should still get it, and RUN FAR, FAR AWAY from Windows ME! At the very least, you will appreciate the much improved robustness of the newer OS. You have already proved that you a very patient person, since you have put up with ME for so long already, so keep giving us information about your system, and there is an excellent chance that we can steer you to success. smile.gif

The more info you give us, the better we can help. Ghavin's earlier post is an excellent guide of the kind of precise information we need to help you properly.

There are many people here successfully running Myst IV on a large variety of systems. Almost certainly someone here has a system fairly similar to yours.

BTW, i was able to run Myst IV on my old system, and it was a Dell Pentium III 933 mhz with 384 MB RAM and running XP. But I had a Nvidia GeForce FX 5700 series vid card. The game was really kind of choppy and slow, but it did run. The vid card and/or its drivers may be the difference.

But please dump WinME ASAP . . . you'll not regret it.

This post has been edited by Tyr-anun: Jun 15 2005, 01:48 PM

--------------------
Love is not an emotion . . . It's a choice.
WOOF!!

+Quote Post
kurtg1265
post Jun 15 2005, 08:56 PM
Post #12

Cactus King
Group Icon

Group: Veteran Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 93

I am guessing that it is the video card that is causing the problems. I too have run Myst 4 on a very similar system to Terfs, a Dell P3 933Mhz with 384MB memory (now currently running 512MB), but a 128MB GeForce 4 Ti 4600 card. And yes, that one is still running Windows ME, so the OS is not the problem (and I actually dont have very many problems with ME on that one either bleh.gif ).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tyr-anun
post Jun 15 2005, 09:55 PM
Post #13

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Retired Greeter
Member No.: 2,097

Well, there you have it! I just checked my copy of Myst IV, and it says that the minimum Nvidia-based video cards are GeForce 1/2/3/4 FX. The MX series is a cheaper series, and not as capable as the FX. Since Kurt has proven that Myst IV will run on WinME, it seems the prudent thing to do is upgrade the video card to one of the recommended ones on the box.

(But I would still dump WinME when I had the cash . . . wink3.gif )

Good luck!

--------------------
Love is not an emotion . . . It's a choice.
WOOF!!

+Quote Post
UruBoo
post Jun 16 2005, 12:14 AM
Post #14

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 61

Terf and Kurt are both right, in a way. Myst IV WILL run in a computer with Win ME but Win XP is MUCH better than ME. But the main thing is the video card. So, if you have a GeForce MX series then your're in trouble. Nell, better change your video card for a FX series than spend your money with XP - Myst IV may not work even with XP if you keep your video card. Just my 2 cents...

--------------------

+Quote Post
rosynell
post Jun 16 2005, 11:55 AM
Post #15

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

What a wonderful web site!!! You have all been so very nice. I'm changing my video card today to a FX and will let you know what happens. Thank you all....nell

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2019 - 12:11 PM