buy antibiotics without prescription
Guild of Greeters   Suitable for Every Age   

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Music In Path Of The Shell, Didn't see the topic listed so here goes!
Acrylikhan
post Jun 15 2009, 10:31 PM
Post #1

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Group: Explorer
Member No.: 7,886

Since this is my first posting, I better introduce myself. My names Frank, and resident of the Midwest United States, and have been a fan of Myst from the beginning. I cannot claim that I solved any of the game titles in one evening, as I've seen post of people who have, I enjoy the time to sort out the logic and the storyline.

Although I completely missed the when URULive had a short rebirth on GameTap, I recently re-discovered URU and reinstalled it. I was amazed how much I had forgotten, and how much fun it was to play this game. Truly, I wish there was another supplement that would be release on CD to lose myself in another universe for a few hours.

Like I said, I played through the URU series (URU, To D'Ni, and The Path of the Shell), and decided to go back and start reading (or re-reading) some of the journals found throughout the game, and soak up the landscape, and look for things I might have missed before.

What I didn't notice before was the some of the new music that came with To D'NI and Path of the Shell. Some very nice music indeed.

For example, the theme that plays in the Hall of the D'Ni Kings is absolutely haunting.

I own all the CDs that are related to the Myst series. Its great listening to them while drawing and working. I just wish that the missing songs were available. I was lucky to meet Tim Larkin, and did get a chance to talk about it. Unfortunately he said that he wasn't sure what made it into the game and which didn't or were edited. He is a very busy man after all, and Cyan did pay for the rights.

Was any other music from URU Top D'ni and path of the Shell ever published?

Thanks for your time reading this thread and any help.
- frank
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ken Telinome
post Jun 15 2009, 11:14 PM
Post #2

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,259

To my knowledge, the only music published from Uru is on the UrSu CD, the soundtrack for Uru, which includes a few pieces from Uru: Ages Beyond Myst and To D'ni as well as a couple pieces that don't appear in the game, such as the Badlands. I would love for another CD to come out with music from Uru Live and MO:UL-- the Badlands theme became the music in Minkata, which was my favorite music.

Of course, you can find each sound and music file in the game directories-- you just need to wade through them and find the music pieces for each age.

EDIT: Speaking of which, did anyone happen to save the three Minkata/Badlands pieces? I miss them down.gif.

EDIT 2: Silly me, welcome to the Guild of Greeters! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Ken Telinome: Jun 15 2009, 11:22 PM

--------------------

Avatar: Ken Telinome | KI: 00329185 | Blog: Living an Ecumenical Life

+Quote Post
Lord Chaos
post Jun 16 2009, 09:51 AM
Post #3

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 3,876

Welcome, Acrylikhan.

You can easily get the music files from the game; they're in a directory called SFX. They are in the OGG format. Some media players will play this, some don't. Some will take a plug-in to play them. If you want to convert them to a more common format, such as MP3, download Audacity, which is is a free audio editing program.

To find the real music, open the SFX directory and sort it by file size. The big files will be the longer music pieces, and they'll have a cryptic reference to the location in the filename. Ahnonay music starts with ahny, I think. Er'cana starts with er. Been a while since I did this. I went through the whole directory and converted the pieces I wanted to WAV format, and then incorporated them into my Itunes library.

The Ahnonay pieces require some special tweaks because they're designed as loops that, if heard on their own, start and stop abruptly. If you want them to fade in and out, copy the last 15 seconds of the track to a new stereo channel in Audacity. Then copy the first 15 seconds, and paste that onto the end. Paste the end clip onto the beginning, and then set it to fade in. Fade it out at the end and then save the result.

You can also assemble short pieces into one longer piece, if desired. Just open the short ones and copy them to a new Audacity project.

To extract music from the other games you can use two free programs from Ron Hayter. Riveal gets music from Riven, and Revelator will do the same for Myst 4 and Realmyst. There isn't a lot of music in Riven that's not on the soundtrack CD, but there's a lot in Myst 4, including two versions of Peter Gabriel's "Curtains," that can't be gotten any other way. You run Revelator, insert the game disc and then tell Revelator where to put the music files. They're good programs, easy to use, effective and reliable. His Web site has complete instructions, including lists of the music files and which are the best to extract.

Audacity is available here:
CODE
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Ron Hayter's programs are here. Revelator:
CODE
http://homepage.mac.com/rshayter/Revelator.html

Riveal:
CODE
http://homepage.mac.com/rshayter/Riveal.html

Or you can just listen to Radio KTDN on Saturday and hear a lot of this music. I'll be doing a fourth anniversary broadcast. Use any media player to open this stream:
CODE
http://radioktdn.zapto.org:8025

--------------------

+Quote Post
Acrylikhan
post Jun 17 2009, 08:08 PM
Post #4

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Group: Explorer
Member No.: 7,886

Thanks for the warm welcome Ken and Lord of Chaos!!

I am going to enjoy adding these to my iPod! laugh.gif Thank you!!

The three pieces from Mikata/The Badlands... is that from the URULive?

This post has been edited by Acrylikhan: Jun 17 2009, 08:26 PM

+Quote Post
Ken Telinome
post Jun 17 2009, 10:13 PM
Post #5

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,259

Yes, Minkata was released in Myst Online: Uru Live. It uses the music that is titled "Badlands" on the URU soundtrack, where it was (at the time) featured as a piece for an unreleased age.

--------------------

Avatar: Ken Telinome | KI: 00329185 | Blog: Living an Ecumenical Life

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2019 - 12:31 AM