> New Computer - Windows Xp To Vista And Uru
Deryn
post Jul 23 2007, 01:02 PM
Post #1

Uru Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 5,112

I'm getting a new computer in mid August and will be going from Windows XP Professional to Vista Ultimate. Can I backup my Gametap and Uru files and restore them to the new computer or is there another process I should follow. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. worship.gif

--------------------
Patiently waiting for M.O.R.E.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CAGrayWolf
post Jul 23 2007, 01:25 PM
Post #2

The Wolfmeister
Group Icon

Group: Retired Greeter
Member No.: 35

I'm not totally sure about GameTap, but I do know that all progress in MOUL is saved server side and would be re-downloaded again to your new system.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lord Chaos
post Jul 23 2007, 03:59 PM
Post #3

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,876

It leads to a good question, though. Is it possible to keep the gigabytes of client-side files, move them to the new computer, and avoid those hours of downloading?

--------------------

+Quote Post
UruBoo
post Jul 23 2007, 04:07 PM
Post #4

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 61

Don't know about GameTap but using the stand alone MOUL, yes, you can backup all the data, move to the new puter and start running Live again. I do that always when I format my PC every 3 or 4 months.

--------------------

+Quote Post
L'orr
post Jul 23 2007, 05:02 PM
Post #5

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 545

I just did the same thing last week. Personally, I feel a fresh install is sometime a benefit.

UruBoo, why do you format your computer every couple months? Is it because you feel that the computer is slowing down with excess unnecessary data? Personally, that's why I reformat my computer every couple months. If that's the case, doesn't it make sense to just start from scratch on everything, not just the base computer files?

Now I'm not saying I don't make backups. But, I only backup files that I couldn't get back by formatting. For games, it would just be the save files and maybe the config files. With UrU, your game progress is saved on the server, so all you might want to backup for that is the config files.

I have also had trouble trying to move large programs and games across windows versions.

I realize the initial questions was probably directed at whether you can transfer to avoid the downloads. I can see how this may be important if you are using dial-up. However, as long as you have some sort of high-speed, the download shouldn't take you too long.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Deryn
post Jul 23 2007, 06:41 PM
Post #6

Uru Veteran
Group Icon

QUOTE (L'orr @ Jul 23 2007, 06:02 PM) *
I have also had trouble trying to move large programs and games across windows versions.

I realize the initial questions was probably directed at whether you can transfer to avoid the downloads. I can see how this may be important if you are using dial-up. However, as long as you have some sort of high-speed, the download shouldn't take you too long.

I don't have a dial up connection so I don't have a problem with downloading. I think my initial concern is going from XP Professional to Vista Ultimate. I'm guessing I should start from scratch with GameTap and Uru if I can be assured I won't have to start all over again. Just can't wait to get the new puter. It's customized to the max.

Just keep the discussion going folks. I learn so much from all of you posting here. Thanks so much for all the advice.

--------------------

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Jul 23 2007, 07:19 PM
Post #7

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Website Contributor (Greeter)
Member No.: 4,706

Windows 7 will be out in 3 years... your Vista Ultimate is on the way to obsolescence already. whistling.gif

I hope you have a multicore processor in your new system. And at least 2 GB of RAM. Otherwise you might find your older computer will run faster under XP than your new system with Vista. I ran every beta version of Vista from beta 2 thru RC1 and RC2 with this result. My system is hardware compatible with Vista but (unfortunately) does not run as well as using XP. I may wait till Windows 7 is released and get a new 'puter then. Good luck with your new system! A lot of people really like the new features available in Vista. I did... just my hardware held me back.

+Quote Post
Ja'de
post Jul 23 2007, 07:34 PM
Post #8

Guild Master
Group Icon

Group: Admin (Admin)
Member No.: 19

I moved from XP to Vista this past winter. I redownloaded gametap to get a fresh start and wipe out all those other games my grand daughter likes. I did save off my uru folder cause I just didn't want to wait for it to download again. The paths to the files are slightly different between OS's. Under Vista you will find URU in C:\ProgramData\GameTap\games\140000150 and the log files, ki images, avatars C:\Users\Yourloginnamehere\Documents\Uru Live.

Gametap seems to change often so these directories might be incorrect by the time you get your new pc.

This post has been edited by Ja'de: Jul 23 2007, 07:35 PM
Reason for edit: spell chucker brock

--------------------

+Quote Post
Deryn
post Jul 23 2007, 08:59 PM
Post #9

Uru Veteran
Group Icon

QUOTE (J'iim @ Jul 23 2007, 08:19 PM) *
Windows 7 will be out in 3 years... your Vista Ultimate is on the way to obsolescence already. whistling.gif

I hope you have a multicore processor in your new system. And at least 2 GB of RAM. Otherwise you might find your older computer will run faster under XP than your new system with Vista. I ran every beta version of Vista from beta 2 thru RC1 and RC2 with this result. My system is hardware compatible with Vista but (unfortunately) does not run as well as using XP. I may wait till Windows 7 is released and get a new 'puter then. Good luck with your new system! A lot of people really like the new features available in Vista. I did... just my hardware held me back.

I'll have an Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad-Core Processor QX6700 (3.20GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 2x4MB cache, Factory Overclocked)

Memory is 4096MB 667MHz Dual-Channel DDR2 SDRAM (4-1024MB modules).

confused1.gif Will that work? I hope that's what you meant. You are my guru worship.gif

@Ja'de...thanks so much for the file locations in Vista. I'm following your advice about the clean install of GameTap. I can back up my folders on my old puter then load em in the new right after. Hopefully that will work. Thanks again everyone. You are all truly appreciated. clapping.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Jul 23 2007, 09:43 PM
Post #10

Uru Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (Mar'eth @ Jul 23 2007, 09:59 PM) *
I'll have an Intel Core 2 Extreme Quad-Core Processor QX6700 (3.20GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 2x4MB cache, Factory Overclocked)

Memory is 4096MB 667MHz Dual-Channel DDR2 SDRAM (4-1024MB modules).

confused1.gif Will that work? I hope that's what you meant. You are my guru worship.gif

@Ja'de...thanks so much for the file locations in Vista. I'm following your advice about the clean install of GameTap. I can back up my folders on my old puter then load em in the new right after. Hopefully that will work. Thanks again everyone. You are all truly appreciated. clapping.gif

Ummm.... is that water cooled by chance? How's the air conditioning by you? Sounds like a smokin' system! shock.gif If you have a directX 10 graphics card of the same performance level as the system, you should not have any trouble running Vista. If the video driver has no compatibilty problems with Uru's requirements, you should be in business. You might even have to slow it down a bit (back off on some of the audio and video settings). Give it try right out of the box and see how it goes. A quick lesson in setting processor affinity might be in order in the future. Not sure if there are any problems of running the game on more than one core... my kid's dual core seems to work OK without having to diddle settings.

+Quote Post
Deryn
post Jul 23 2007, 10:32 PM
Post #11

Uru Veteran
Group Icon

Ummm.... is that water cooled by chance? How's the air conditioning by you? Sounds like a smokin' system! shock.gif If you have a directX 10 graphics card of the same performance level as the system, you should not have any trouble running Vista. If the video driver has no compatibilty problems with Uru's requirements, you should be in business. You might even have to slow it down a bit (back off on some of the audio and video settings). Give it try right out of the box and see how it goes. A quick lesson in setting processor affinity might be in order in the future. Not sure if there are any problems of running the game on more than one core... my kid's dual core seems to work OK without having to diddle settings.

Regrettably it is not water cooled but I do keep it pretty chilly in here. The video card is NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTX w/ 766MB, Dual DVI-I Dual link TV Out (Factory Overclocked) w/ VGA adapter. I'll definitely check out setting processor affinity since I have plenty of time to do so until it arrives. It's basically an upgraded gaming computer so I'm really looking forward to getting it up and running.

--------------------

+Quote Post
UruBoo
post Jul 24 2007, 08:34 AM
Post #12

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 61

QUOTE (L'orr @ Jul 23 2007, 07:02 PM) *
UruBoo, why do you format your computer every couple months? Is it because you feel that the computer is slowing down with excess unnecessary data? Personally, that's why I reformat my computer every couple months. If that's the case, doesn't it make sense to just start from scratch on everything, not just the base computer files?

L'orr, I do a lot of testing with all kind of programs, installing and uninstalling stuff. And you know a lot of junk files are not deleted when you uninstall some programs. I don't mind reformating now and then, so I keep my puter running as smoth as I can keep it.

QUOTE (J'iim @ Jul 23 2007, 09:19 PM) *

I also ran every beta version of Vista and can assure that, unless you have and state-of-the-art computer, XP is MUCH faster than Vista. And if you search the Internet about XP versus Vista, every one says the same: XP is faster. I wouldn't buy Vista right now. I would wait until the first Service Pack then I will consider try it. And Microsoft is releasing a SP 3 for XP later this year, meaning we'll have XP around for at least a couple of years...

--------------------

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Jul 24 2007, 10:02 AM
Post #13

Uru Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (UruBoo @ Jul 24 2007, 09:34 AM) *
And Microsoft is releasing a SP 3 for XP later this year, meaning we'll have XP around for at least a couple of years...

I believe support for XP was projected to run for the next eight years. I'm not sure if that's the free support or if paid support kicks in somewhere during those eight years. Windows 7 is projected to be released in 3 years (don't hold your breath on that one). If they bloat windows anymore, I'm not sure it could run to get out of it's own way. Vista runs SO many background processes compared to XP (about twice as many IIRC) that you need a GB of memory and one processsor core just to support them. I upgraded my memory to 2 GB in anticipation of getting Vista as well as a new video card. Never did get the Vista but Uru sure ran better.

+Quote Post
William H. Maier
post Jul 24 2007, 11:26 AM
Post #14

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,168

I had to send my laptop out for repairs (under warranty, first problem in three years). So I downloaded gamtap om my wife's vister HP and it has been running fine and faster than my wiz bang laptop whistling.gif

--------------------
John 14:6 KJV
"The purpose of life's ride is not to arrive at the grave with a perfectly preserved body.
But to come skidding slightly beat about the head and shoulders in sideways dusty and dirty,yelling,
"Wow! What a ride!"

+Quote Post
Cleft
post Jul 24 2007, 11:30 AM
Post #15

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 358

QUOTE (Mar'eth @ Jul 23 2007, 08:02 PM) *
I'm getting a new computer in mid August and will be going from Windows XP Professional to Vista Ultimate. Can I backup my Gametap and Uru files and restore them to the new computer or is there another process I should follow. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. worship.gif

Funny you should ask this question. I've been searching around a bit yesterday on the gametap forums if there was a way to switch to another harddisk, and copy all the files to the new disk. I suppose the same thing goes for a new computer where you want to restore your gametap files smile.gif
I haven't searched really long yet, so there might be some better answers, but I came upon this post. This method is not supported officially by gametap but it should work I think. I have not tried it myself yet, but I think I will have a shot at it this weekend. I don't know if Vista is any different, but you could at least give it a try if you want smile.gif
If you are playing more games than just Uru Live, you might want to check you "My Documents" folder for any game created folders in there (there's on for Uru Live in there also). They might contain some saved games or some other things you might want to keep.

If it's only Uru Live you got of gametap, I suggest to just download the gametap client, and download Uru Live again. As said before by others, your game progress and avatars are stored on the server, so you haven't lost anything.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th September 2019 - 08:22 PM