> Initializing Patcher, ... no progress
d'rbeh
post Jul 28 2007, 04:55 PM
Post #1

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Guild Master (GM)
Member No.: 2,050

i think i've read about this elsewhere, but could not find the thread.

as of the latest update, when the program begins, and the "initializing update" bar comes up, there is never any progress. i just left it running for hours while i did a couple of errands and got back and there was no progress at all. just tried again and still no progress.

if anyone remembers where this is discussed on our forum or elsewhere, would you please post a link? i'd appreciate it!

never had this issue before, so this is new to me.

thanks in advance!

worship.gif

beh

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kurtg1265
post Jul 28 2007, 08:27 PM
Post #2

Cactus King
Group Icon

Group: Veteran Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 93

You may want to take a quick look at your firewall settings to double check that it isnt blocking it from downloading.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ayli
post Jul 29 2007, 09:29 AM
Post #3

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 7

Whenever there is an update, my Norton Antivirus always pops up and asks if I give permission for this connection, but only after the game is about to link me to log-in the character screen.

Beh, maybe today your connection will work. hug.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nyrphame Danilai...
post Jul 29 2007, 09:39 AM
Post #4

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,075

Ayli is right, the same thing happens to me, McAfee pups up whenever there is an update and asks for renewed permission to allow - and once with another program (I think MXO) I accidentally clicked the wrong thing and blocked the download! Because I am such a klutz with these firewall programs, I never could get it to give me permission and so the only thing I did was wait for the next download.

However, beh, this might be a good time for a ticket, plus a quick call to support...? I know I did recently have trouble with the GT utility update, and the GT guys gave me an instant fix.

Just a question - is it the new patcher that won't update or is it the game update itself that won't update...knowing that will help if you are going to try to first take a look at your firewall config.

nerfy

--------------------
Hey, who stole the other half of my brain?

+Quote Post
d'rbeh
post Jul 29 2007, 02:46 PM
Post #5

Uru Guru
Group Icon

thanks for all of the terrific answers and help!

yes, every time there is an update, my norton pops up and asks for permission. i always say yes. i THINK i said yes this time, though i can't remember - usually i do this sort of thing without even thinking about it. it's possibe i hit "no" instead of "yes" for allowing.

yes, it is the patcher update and not the game itself...

i'll try again in a few moments.

thanks for your thoughts. i'll get it to work by hook or by crook!

hug.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kon'Dor
post Jul 29 2007, 03:51 PM
Post #6

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 4,731

I can't say that I have ever had a problem with GT or Cyan but I have had similar issues with other downloads. I do remember in one case that when I went into MSCONFIG and shut down everything that was to do with Norton and then "temporarily" disabled my windows firewall, the program I wanted downloaded with no problem. As soon as I had it, I re-enabled my windows firewall, went back into MSCONFIG and restarted the Norton stuff. I still have no idea why some files are such a problem but....... Good Luck.........

--------------------
STERCUS ACCIDIT

+Quote Post
d'rbeh
post Jul 29 2007, 06:20 PM
Post #7

Uru Guru
Group Icon

i tried about an hour ago and magically, it performed the update. i didn't adjust anything or do anything differently. just a comp hiccough i suppose.

thanks for the ideas though, because if this happeins in the future, i'll know some things to try.

hug.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kon'Dor
post Jul 29 2007, 09:10 PM
Post #8

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 4,731

clapping.gif clapping.gif GREAT clapping.gif clapping.gif Glad you finally got the problem sorted out....

--------------------
STERCUS ACCIDIT

+Quote Post
d'rbeh
post Jul 30 2007, 10:34 AM
Post #9

Uru Guru
Group Icon

thanks!

oh, that problems were ALL this simple to take care of!

d'oh!

headbang.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
whistlemt
post Oct 27 2007, 03:34 PM
Post #10

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Group: Explorer
Member No.: 5,623

I'm having the same problem! the difference is that my firewall headbang.gif is turned off but it still just sits there! cry.gif
it doesn't initialize! I've made multiple attempts over the past few days. In the past, for previous updates, I had the same problem but it cleared itself up within 24 hours.
Any suggestions? Help please! beg.gif

--------------------
"Time teaches many things.
It is the rock in which we bore."
-old D'ni saying-

+Quote Post
dadguy
post Oct 27 2007, 06:21 PM
Post #11

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 28

It's hard to know where the problem is from a forum post, Whistkemt, but here are some thoughts.

I have another computer that has zonealarmPro, and unless I turn the firewall on, then off, it still blocks things.

On my trouble-free computers, I have gone in and given permission to the patcher and urulauncher.exe and have no trouble. It's hard to say of the firewall is the problem.

Other culprets are limited RAM, shortage of available hard drive space, and weak broadband or wireless signal (including high latency - which is the delay in broadband response time). From Birmingham, AL you shouldn't have Broadband trouble, but who knows.

Good luck!

Dadguy

+Quote Post
whistlemt
post Oct 27 2007, 07:23 PM
Post #12

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Here is a bit more info. I have Windows Live OneCare (which hasn't been starting up recently so the firewall has not been put up). I have recently upgraded my processing RAM to about 2 GB and hard drive space isn't a problem either (I have just under 200 GB of free space)

--------------------
-old D'ni saying-

+Quote Post
Nyrphame Danilai...
post Oct 28 2007, 04:07 AM
Post #13

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Hi whistlmt

A couple of quick things to try if you haven't already. First try rebooting your computer. This is something the GT guys or the ResEngs suggest and it has fixed things instantly for some.

The second thing is if you are on wireless, you might try connecting directly instead. I could download the game wirelessly ( I had a hard drive failure and lost all my data), but I could not update the patcher or launch the game at all, and it took me til this time, when I finally had broadband cable installed and could plug in directly, that I was able to finally get back in.

nerf.

This post has been edited by Nyrphame Danilaise: Oct 28 2007, 04:10 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
whistlemt
post Oct 28 2007, 08:01 PM
Post #14

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Ok guys,
I'm starting to get a little antsy and anxious that my problem is insisting on persisting! headbang.gif

Rebooting hasn't solved the problem and I'm wired directly into the router. (thank you for your suggestions though, nerf and dadguy bye2.gif )
is/has anyone else having/had this problem?
How does one go about sending a ticket? I don't even know where to begin. I'd like to avoid doing that but I'm running out of ideas.

--------------------
-old D'ni saying-

+Quote Post
Nyrphame Danilai...
post Oct 29 2007, 09:46 AM
Post #15

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Why not give GT Support a call? This service is available to US and Canadian customers and is faster and less hassle than sending a ticket.

Mystonline Support

The number is on the contact page through the linky above. Also, there is realtime chat help as well. I have always found both of these methods to be really helpful, and they will know what questions to ask, as I am sure they have dealt with this problem before.

Hope that helps, but if not, let us know and we can dig a bit deeper.

smile.gif

nerf.

This post has been edited by Nyrphame Danilaise: Oct 29 2007, 09:47 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2019 - 11:21 AM