> Crash After Jalak Update
Heliocles
post Aug 8 2007, 05:32 AM
Post #1

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Group: Explorer
Member No.: 5,610

I wonder if somebody recognises the following problem.

Upon downloading the Jalak update, I cannot start Mystonline again. I usually get an error message like "Exception type: Access violation. Call stack (14 levels) a number of figures and an urge to contact support. Is this a known problem for this update?

My connection was interrupted during the download, but I resumed it the next day without any error messages. Could this have corrupted the file? Anyway, I am thankful for suggestions. Do I have to reinstall Mystonline from scratch?

Thankful for help.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nyrphame Danilai...
post Aug 8 2007, 06:09 AM
Post #2

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Guild Master (GM)
Member No.: 1,075

What you have experienced is known as a "stackdump" and is a well known event. You can log it as a bug with Cyan through the support site. It is not specific to this update. I have experienced stackdumps frequently in Minkata and also in Jalak, especially when I had a program running in the background that was using resources - usually FRAPS, the videocapture program.

Usually, a stackdump doesn't prevent re-launching the game though.

Could you tell us at what point in the launch does the stackdump occur? Do you get to the avatar choices. Do you make it to relto? Exactly what happens?

nerfy

--------------------
Hey, who stole the other half of my brain?

+Quote Post
Heliocles
post Aug 8 2007, 12:09 PM
Post #3

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Thanks!

This error occurs just before I get to chose my avatar. I get the error message above (or the program simply gets stuck) and when I press OK Mystonline is shut off.

But please tell me what you mean by relaunching the game?

+Quote Post
Lord Chaos
post Aug 8 2007, 12:26 PM
Post #4

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 3,876

Sometimes when the game crashes, your computer goes with it. That means you have to reboot, and I think that's what Nerf meant. In your case the game crashes but the computer is still running.

The game has very bad housekeeping, and often loses track of which files it has updated. Here's something for you to try: Find the folder where the file UruExplorer.exe is. Once you've found the file, rename it. You can give it any name. Then start the game again, and it will go looking for UruExplorer, not find it, and examine your whole installation and check every file. Anything bad should be replaced then. If this doesn't solve the problem, check the folder to make sure you got a new UruExplorer; if you didn't, rename your old one back to UruExplorer.exe. If you did get a new one, simply delete the old one.

Also note that in the same folder you'll find UruLauncher.exe. This is what you can use to start the game without going through Gametap, which saves time. It also tends to crash less often.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Heliocles
post Aug 8 2007, 03:38 PM
Post #5

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Worked like a charm! Many thanks for this useful tip. Uruexplorer was indeed replaced by a new file when I renamed it. See you in Jalak! (I am Heliocles there as well)

+Quote Post
Lord Chaos
post Aug 8 2007, 03:40 PM
Post #6

Uru Guru
Group Icon

I'd be quite happy to join you in Jalak, or anywhere else, if I could just get there with any reliability. I go once, no problem. Next time, link-loop.

I'm glad the tip worked for you, and I hope you never have to do it again. smile.gif

And a somewhat belated: Welcome to the Guild of Greeters forum! We're glad you've joined.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nyrphame Danilai...
post Aug 9 2007, 11:23 AM
Post #7

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Glad we could helpJ, Heliocles, and that LCs workaround was the perfect solution! It is true that people have reported fewer diffiiculties launching from outside the Gametap service. Just a note though that Gametap uses its own metrics to measure gamer participation in UrU, so if you launch outside their service you won't be "counted" in terms of their measuring the popularity of UrU. So please do try to log in through Gametap if at all possible, or at least occasionally - we do want the people with the pursestrings to know how many people are playing and (we trust) enjoying the game. smile.gif

nerfy

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rex Havoc
post Aug 9 2007, 12:40 PM
Post #8

Retired GuildMaster
Group Icon

Group: Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 2,857

QUOTE (Nerfy)
Just a note though that Gametap uses its own metrics to measure gamer participation in UrU, so if you launch outside their service you won't be "counted" in terms of their measuring the popularity of UrU.
I wish we could get some kind of confirmation on this. I was told this was not true and they (GameTap) could also see those of us who use the direct launch approach and counted us, too. I have never used the GameTap gateway, Uru is the only GameTap game that I play.

--------------------

Ki# 651166

+Quote Post
Lord Chaos
post Aug 9 2007, 01:41 PM
Post #9

Uru Guru
Group Icon

I think Greydragon said that it doesn't matter which gateway you use. Everyone gets their numbers. The UruLauncher dodge is one of Tech Support's regular recommendations for those who crash using Gametap, so it can't cause much of a problem.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tomala
post Aug 9 2007, 10:43 PM
Post #10

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,239

It doesn't matter how you enter... You'll show up in the database... I always laugh when people think otherwise...

+Quote Post
Nyrphame Danilai...
post Aug 10 2007, 02:48 AM
Post #11

Uru Guru
Group Icon

I am not sure why you would laugh since people who are under this impression have not simply made it up - that information came from Cyan themselves earlier on in this process. Perhaps it simply is no longer true as they have clearly created a workaround so that everyone's involvement would count.

Here is chogon's word on the subject - if you can find a direct quote from GD feel free to add it here but i could not find one.

Linky to Chogon's post second on on the page...

In any case, you are correct and I am happy to know that those who like to launch through the stand-alone client are not hurting cyan.

This post has been edited by Nyrphame Danilaise: Aug 10 2007, 02:50 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
CAGrayWolf
post Aug 10 2007, 03:43 PM
Post #12

The Wolfmeister
Group Icon

Group: Retired Greeter
Member No.: 35

QUOTE (Rex Havoc @ Aug 9 2007, 10:40 AM) *
QUOTE (Nerfy)
Just a note though that Gametap uses its own metrics to measure gamer participation in UrU, so if you launch outside their service you won't be "counted" in terms of their measuring the popularity of UrU.
I wish we could get some kind of confirmation on this. I was told this was not true and they (GameTap) could also see those of us who use the direct launch approach and counted us, too. I have never used the GameTap gateway, Uru is the only GameTap game that I play.

QUOTE (Nyrphame Danilaise @ Aug 10 2007, 12:48 AM) *
Here is chogon's word on the subject - if you can find a direct quote from GD feel free to add it here but i could not find one.

In any case, you are correct and I am happy to know that those who like to launch through the stand-alone client are not hurting cyan.

GD did confirm this somewhere ... who knows where at the moment ... to many threads to search through anymore ... but anyway, he did confirm that Cyan does have their own way of counting users ... whether they use the GameTap client or not.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rex Havoc
post Aug 13 2007, 10:51 AM
Post #13

Retired GuildMaster
Group Icon

Group: Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 2,857

Ryan has mentioned this to me, directly (sorry, no chat log...). Reading the very link that Nerfy posted says it all, too.
All accounts are GameTap accounts. If you just type in your UserID, such as "eowyncarter" then behind the scenes we add "@gametap.com" and verify the account with the gametap servers. So, everyone is counted on GameTap whether you come through the GameTap client or thru the standalone uru client or from mac or international or however you get into UruLive.

This issue of counting was only at the very beginning, when we had the trial accounts and the real accounts... When the trial server was closed, this problem went away. Everyone is counted, everyone is important, oh happy day...

--------------------

Ki# 651166

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2019 - 03:35 AM