> What's A Greeter?
Bubba Gump
post Dec 9 2007, 08:37 AM
Post #1

Uru Fan
Group Icon

Group: Explorer
Member No.: 5,807

Sounds like a simple enough question. Never gave it much thought until I was asked it yesterday. What IS a greeter? To me, a Greeter is the type of person who believes in giving back. Many, if not most of us have received help from others ingame. We've asked people we've never met to pull levers and touch cloths for us. I've made a habit of stopping at the GOG Bevin where I have always been warmly greeted and got the help I needed. The fine volunteers there give hints and don't hit you right off with outright spoilers. Lately I've gotten into the habit of having my morning coffee in the Gog Bevin. I've managed to field a few questions and help out. Just being there with the Greeters is a pleasant experience. A little chat, learn a few tidbits that I didn't know. Maybe contribute something I know that somebody else didn't.
So, to answer my own question. To me a greeter is an experienced, patient, honest, dedicated URU Live player that believes in giving as well as taking. There are a few who take delight in harassing the greeters. A greeter doesn't lose his/her cool but handles the situation professionally. That's a keyword: professional. Greeters use their own time and resources to be greeters. I, for one applaud their efforts.

Edited because my spelling lessons aren't working. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Bubba Gump: Dec 9 2007, 08:40 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dogwood
post Dec 9 2007, 09:21 AM
Post #2

Uru Explorer
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 5,756

Thank you for those kind words Bubba smile.gif

+Quote Post
alaina
post Dec 9 2007, 09:38 AM
Post #3

Uru Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,619

Wow, Thanks Bubba Gump that was really nice its great to know we are apprieciated. Have You thought about becoming a greeter? Just a thought. Sounds like you have the patience for it yourself. Thats my vote of confidence.

--------------------

You listen with your ears not your lips

+Quote Post
Deryn
post Dec 9 2007, 08:54 PM
Post #4

Uru Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,112

Thank you, Bubba, for the hearts and flowers. It's always rewarding to hear and read the appreciation expressed in your post. And that, Bubba, is why we do it. I like to think of it as Yeesha put it so well. We must give back what we have taken. The knowledge we have taken, we give back to others. Pass it forward, Bubba. Good job!

Deryn

--------------------
Patiently waiting for M.O.R.E.

+Quote Post
Bubba Gump
post Apr 3 2010, 06:53 AM
Post #5

Uru Fan
Group Icon

Just found this and for the most part it's still true. Look here guys - I'm back and I still want to be a greeter. If I'm doing something that's disqualifying me please send me a message so I can clean up my act. I've wanted this for a long time. There must be a few openings. I see OHBot there a lot. I could do a better job than him - I think. Lol. How about it? You must need one more. Here I am. Wishin' and hopin".
Bubba

+Quote Post
Ken Telinome
post Apr 3 2010, 09:41 AM
Post #6

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,259

It's not that you are being singled out-- it's that applications aren't open right now.

QUOTE (Ja'de @ Mar 29 2010, 11:21 PM) *
We are not currently taking applications. That may change in the future when new areas become available. That said, we have no monopoly on helping explorers so keep up the good work.

--------------------

Avatar: Ken Telinome | KI: 00329185 | Blog: Living an Ecumenical Life

+Quote Post
Bubba Gump
post Apr 3 2010, 03:14 PM
Post #7

Uru Fan
Group Icon

QUOTE (Ken Telinome @ Apr 3 2010, 09:41 AM) *
It's not that you are being singled out-- it's that applications aren't open right now.

QUOTE (Ja'de @ Mar 29 2010, 11:21 PM) *
We are not currently taking applications. That may change in the future when new areas become available. That said, we have no monopoly on helping explorers so keep up the good work.

Guess I overcommunicated that one. Biggest deal about this post is how I just happened to find it and the timing related to the issue. GOG staff have all been kind and fair with me. Maybe one day - well, who knows? Things change and so do people. 'Cept me. I am currently, have been nearly forever and always will be known as Bubba Gump (never saw the movie). Watching the Bevin the past few weeks shows plainly that many things as well as the general tone of the players have changed.
Plus, I get a kick out messing with OHBot.
Have a good day. I'll be around. Like I always am whenever URU goes live. That in itself is a wonderful accomplishment. bye2.gif

This post has been edited by Bubba Gump: Apr 3 2010, 03:16 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2019 - 01:13 PM