> Museum Age Map Markings, Looking for a few good words
J'iim
post Apr 2 2007, 08:51 PM
Post #1

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Website Contributor (Greeter)
Member No.: 4,706

I put this out for the world at large because I will be the first to admit I have no ability to translate D'ni. If anyone can translate or suggest a more proper English spelling of the D'ni phrases on the Museum Age map, please post here. I am pretty sure I have the correct D'ni characters copied. The encoding is for the D'ni Script from Cyan.

The second one, Gahrano Vahmot, I've seen translated as Great Eastern Sea (Big East Water).

Click here to view/hide a spoiler.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kurtg1265
post Apr 2 2007, 10:05 PM
Post #2

Cactus King
Group Icon

Group: Veteran Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 93

Have you checked over at the Dni Linguistic Fellowship?

They crave maps like that lmao.gif and already have a lengthy discussion on it HERE.

--------------------

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Apr 2 2007, 10:15 PM
Post #3

Uru Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (kurtg1265 @ Apr 2 2007, 11:05 PM) *
Have you checked over at the Dni Linguistic Fellowship?

They crave maps like that lmao.gif and already have a lengthy discussion on it HERE.

It seems they have finally gotten the letters right once the large blown up map came out.. not much about the translations yet. Apparently the dash in re-gera should not have been there (according to RAWA). The last post in the thread has basically the same transcriptions of the words as I came up with. But there's way too many "H"s in there! I wish there were better rules about when and when not to put one in.

+Quote Post
kurtg1265
post Apr 2 2007, 10:34 PM
Post #4

Cactus King
Group Icon

Group: Veteran Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 93

I dont know if you would have the time, but I think if you registered over there, you would probably fit right in wink3.gif (no Im not trying to get rid of you bleh.gif ). Domahreh is considered to be one of the language experts and his Linguistic Fellowship actually did much (if not all) of the 'proofreading' of the D'ni text in Uru during the first beta before Prologue.

--------------------

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Apr 2 2007, 10:41 PM
Post #5

Uru Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (kurtg1265 @ Apr 2 2007, 11:34 PM) *
I dont know if you would have the time, but I think if you registered over there, you would probably fit right in wink3.gif (no Im not trying to get rid of you bleh.gif ). Domahreh is considered to be one of the language experts and his Linguistic Fellowship actually did much (if not all) of the 'proofreading' of the D'ni text in Uru during the first beta before Prologue.

If I burn any more candles.. I'm going to cause a meltdown somewhere!. Too many interesting things to do and not enough me's to do them all. down.gif

+Quote Post
IBnetweasel
post Apr 4 2007, 08:52 AM
Post #6

Proud Papa
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 734

Hmmm...well...I'm not sure it's the best way to represent D'ni in English, but it's the way I've always used:

Of course it does result in a lot of h's. I suppose it wouldn't add any real confusion to drop the h from ih, eh and uh.

It's hard to write it in English because we don't really have set vowels...lots of dipthongs and multiple vowels represented by one letter....sheesh. It's one of the reasons I like spanish...vowels have set, specific sounds. Wouldn't work for D'ni representations though because it doesn't have a, ih, or uh. /shrug. I suppose it doesn't really matter how you represent it as long as you're consistent, and people can pronounce it correctly.
IB

This post has been edited by IBnetweasel: Apr 4 2007, 08:53 AM

--------------------
Let your mind open and follow what your heart desires. Look to the stars, explore your surroundings, and let yourself go.
Life is a journey...make your path!

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Apr 4 2007, 09:06 AM
Post #7

Uru Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (IBnetweasel @ Apr 4 2007, 09:52 AM) *
Hmmm...well...I'm not sure it's the best way to represent D'ni in English, but it's the way I've always used:

Of course it does result in a lot of h's. I suppose it wouldn't add any real confusion to drop the h from ih, eh and uh.

It's hard to write it in English because we don't really have set vowels...lots of dipthongs and multiple vowels represented by one letter....sheesh. It's one of the reasons I like spanish...vowels have set, specific sounds. Wouldn't work for D'ni representations though because it doesn't have a, ih, or uh. /shrug. I suppose it doesn't really matter how you represent it as long as you're consistent, and people can pronounce it correctly.
IB

I was using an old transliteration table from the old Guild of Linguists web site. There are a set of guidelines about the "h"s but I'm not sure I understand it all very well.

+Quote Post
Yew Azwell
post Apr 23 2007, 07:41 PM
Post #8

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,224

trying to learn D'ni makes my head hurt headbang.gif like that would.

but I am trying to keep at it, I suppose that is all I can do.

+Quote Post
jarelav
post Apr 24 2007, 02:53 AM
Post #9

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,899

Yew, I see this is your second post, so WELCOME TO OUR FORUM!! yay.gif

Learning the D'ni needed to solve puzzles is not that hard compared to learning an actual language.

We like to discuss it here in these forums and we get very technical sometimes, but all you need to know are the basics, like translating D'ni letters to our Arabic letter system.

--------------------
jarel, formerly Schlomo
MOULa KI: 00405546

+Quote Post
Yew Azwell
post Apr 24 2007, 03:35 AM
Post #10

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,224

well, I am actually working on a rather ambitious project. I am attempting to create a journal with all the information about the d'ni I can gather. I want to have their number system, their timekeeping system (and it's conversions into earth time), their alphabet, all their grammar rules, a dictionary, holidays, timelines, kings, social practices, etc.. etc.. basically, a codex on the D'ni.

Why I am doing this, I don't rightly know unsure.gif but it may prove useful to me at some point in the Uru experience! laugh.gif

And thank you! I look forward to being apart of yet another forum! (this makes forum number ten for me..although I only check about half of them regularly)

+Quote Post
jarelav
post Apr 24 2007, 12:55 PM
Post #11

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,899

QUOTE (Yew Azwell @ Apr 23 2007, 10:35 PM) *
I want to have their number system, their timekeeping system (and it's conversions into earth time), their alphabet, all their grammar rules, a dictionary, holidays, timelines, kings, social practices, etc.. etc.. basically, a codex on the D'ni.

Our website has lots of resources. For the D'ni language and timelines, try this GoG resource

See you in the Cavern sometime!

--------------------
jarel, formerly Schlomo
MOULa KI: 00405546

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th November 2019 - 07:20 PM