> Location Of Great Zero, Why elevation readings are negative
J'iim
post Apr 23 2007, 09:35 AM
Post #1

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Website Contributor (Greeter)
Member No.: 4,706

This question came up in the GOG Bevin over the weekend so I thought I might show why my (unbelieved) response was correct.

The GZ resides on top of the very tall stalagmite (mountain?) in the back of the city where you can see a red strobe light blinking. You might recognize that this is the strobe light on top of the GZO. This picture is from the offline version of the game but still valid. I am standing at the level of the GZ just a bit to the right of zero line that goes through the center of Kerath's Arch. The KI reading is 35 torantee (0.2 deg off center), 0 span (distance from GZ) , 0 span (height above/below GZ).

Note that some features down in the city did not render properly. The Great Stairs and the Library show as holes.. the structures were too far away in this shot (although the Palace and Ferry/dock show nicely!)

This post has been edited by J'iim: Apr 23 2007, 09:55 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dragonflymale
post Apr 23 2007, 05:16 PM
Post #2

Uru Citizen
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 127

wow, thats a great shot Jiim
Thanks

--------------------

+Quote Post
memiki
post Apr 23 2007, 07:36 PM
Post #3

Honorary Greeter
Group Icon

Group: Retired Greeter
Member No.: 48

not sure what you said Jiim huh.gif
but love the picture

--------------------
Beta Forum Name: Granny63 now Granny70
In my heart, I will always be a Greeter, once a greeter always a greeter

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Apr 23 2007, 08:24 PM
Post #4

Uru Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (memiki @ Apr 23 2007, 08:36 PM) *
not sure what you said Jiim huh.gif
but love the picture

LOL.. I love fly mode!

Anyway, all I said was that the last number in the cooridinate display in the KI will probably always be a negative number since the only place you can go in the cavern (for now) is below the level of the GZ. I have to check if there is any spot in the GZ itself that is actually above the zero level.

I checked. The highest spot in the GZ is the the level before you descend down into the maintenance unit level. It shows as 0 in the coordinates. So the highest we can currently get is just up to "zee" level. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by J'iim: Apr 23 2007, 08:55 PM

+Quote Post
racegirl
post Apr 24 2007, 12:50 AM
Post #5

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Retired Greeter
Member No.: 1,608

Or "zed" level if you come from my corner of the world smile.gif

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity.....
......I enjoy it!

+Quote Post
Rocky
post Apr 24 2007, 04:59 AM
Post #6

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
From: Atlanta , Ga.... U.S.A. (in the "Berbs",by the Lake)
Member No.: 36

QUOTE (J @ Apr 23 2007, 09:24 PM) *
QUOTE (memiki @ Apr 23 2007, 08:36 PM) *
not sure what you said Jiim huh.gif but love the picture
LOL.. I love fly mode!
Anyway, all I said was that the last number in the cooridinate display in the KI will probably always be a negative number since the only place you can go in the cavern (for now) is below the level of the GZ. I have to check if there is any spot in the GZ itself that is actually above the zero level.
I checked. The highest spot in the GZ is the the level before you descend down into the maintenance unit level. It shows as 0 in the coordinates. So the highest we can currently get is just up to "zee" level. laugh.gif

There is only 2 spots that I know of (at this time), that is at the 0 level.
1..... The GZ antechamber (where you first update your KI to Marker Mode)
2..... The top of the stair landing, before you go down into calibration markers room.

also FIY.... the water (???) trough may run North - South (assuming a direction) , as standing at location #2 above, and centering your Avie there and side stepping left or right ....... the numbers change from 0 to 62,500 for the angle.
bleh.gif

/askquestion ... has anyone ever wonder WHY the GZ is NOT in our city book , insted of the nexus , as it is part of the neighbord's city instance ???

shock.gif

This post has been edited by Rocky: Apr 24 2007, 05:11 AM

--------------------

The Un-Offical Cat Herder

click here for info about cat herders

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Apr 24 2007, 12:57 PM
Post #7

Uru Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (Rocky @ Apr 24 2007, 05:59 AM) *
There is only 2 spots that I know of (at this time), that is at the 0 level.
1..... The GZ antechamber (where you first update your KI to Marker Mode)
2..... The top of the stair landing, before you go down into calibration markers room.

/askquestion ... has anyone ever wonder WHY the GZ is NOT in our city book , insted of the nexus , as it is part of the neighbord's city instance ???

shock.gif

Doh! I forgot the GZO!

I believe all the links in the "city" book are Bahro links but two... Kadish Gallery which is a book used in another Age and the GZO, a book used in the Bevin linking room (an inconsistency?).

Is there not a restriction to linking that prohibits linking using D'ni tech within the same age? That is reason I thought why we have to go to wherever the nexus is and then link back.

Then there's the GZO inconsistency... why does the linking book to the GZO in the Bevin book room work if we are just linking across the lake up to the top of the GZ? At least the Kadish book is in another Age.

Of course the GZO book in the neighborhood goes to a hood linked instance of the city, probably into the same instance that the Bahro link to Tokotah takes us. But you also end up in that same hood-linked instance as the GZO when you use the nexus to go to the GZ. I remember seeing someone up in the GZO from the GZ courtyard who was from the same neighborhood. Certainly puzzling! confused1.gif It would be nice if we could get an explanation of just what the rules for linking are (now).

(EDIT: Then again, we could just say that you have to be at least 1000 spantee away from your destination to link to a spot in the same age... that would solve everything! lmao.gif )

This post has been edited by J'iim: Apr 24 2007, 01:08 PM

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th November 2019 - 04:57 PM