T'andra
post Oct 28 2007, 07:09 PM
Post #1

Uru Fan
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 5,186

Hi Everyone, innocent.gif

This is a guide to help you not crash whenever you are in a Bahro Cave. clapping.gif

After retrieving you Totems or Wedges, walk to the edge of the circle and stop oops.gif before you jump. You see you carry a camera on your shoulder, shock.gif and this camera needs time to go to the ceiling of the Bahro Cave and look at the top of your head before you jump. Once the angle of the camera is pointing on your head, that is when you jump, and 9 times out of 10 you will not crash. wink3.gif

To many of us hit the spirals and walk and jump of the edge before the camera has had a chance to get to the ceiling, henceforth when you jump the camera will hit the collision wall headbang.gif and you get booted out of the game. cry.gif

So my advice to all you Bahro Cave jumpers, STOP, let your poor dear camera catch up with you, hug.gif and allow the camera
to get to the ceiling, you can visibly see it, and then JUMP. flex.gif

Henceforth "NO CRASHIES". thumbsup.gif

Food for thought huh. I hope this helps. Enjoy your explorations people. clapping.gif

Moderator Note

Moved to correct forum

This post has been edited by racegirl: Oct 28 2007, 08:17 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Michi
post Oct 30 2007, 04:45 PM
Post #2

Uru Explorer
Group Icon

Group: Explorer
Member No.: 5,761

Lately I have only crashed when leaving Bahro caves that I went into from a pod age.... Is there a higher incidence of crashing from one Bahro cave over another? (just curious)

I WANNA RUN & JUMP! clapping.gif If I am gonna do a KAMAKAZI I am going in style JERONIMOOOOOOOOOOOOO! worship.gif

This post has been edited by Michi: Oct 30 2007, 04:46 PM

--------------------
Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really. ~Agnes Sligh Turnbull
We long for an affection altogether ignorant of our faults. Heaven has accorded this to us in the uncritical canine attachment. ~George Eliot

+Quote Post
Kon'Dor
post Oct 30 2007, 06:23 PM
Post #3

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 4,731

QUOTE (Michi @ Oct 30 2007, 05:45 PM) *
Lately I have only crashed when leaving Bahro caves that I went into from a pod age.... Is there a higher incidence of crashing from one Bahro cave over another? (just curious)

I WANNA RUN & JUMP! clapping.gif If I am gonna do a KAMAKAZI I am going in style JERONIMOOOOOOOOOOOOO! worship.gif

More folks seem to crash when working the pods than other ages. I know that the problem of getting to the caves in the first place was supposed to have been fixed a while back but, it still seems to rear it's ugly head every now and then. You should be able to just step off the edge with the result being the return to Relto but, if you have tried a couple of times and had no success, I would suggest a ticket. The Pods were buggy when they first appeared and with all the new content and changes coming down the pipe, heaven knows what else is being affected.

This post has been edited by Kon'Dor: Oct 30 2007, 06:35 PM

--------------------
STERCUS ACCIDIT

+Quote Post
Michi
post Oct 31 2007, 07:18 PM
Post #4

Uru Explorer
Group Icon

QUOTE (Kon'Dor @ Oct 30 2007, 07:23 PM) *
QUOTE (Michi @ Oct 30 2007, 05:45 PM) *

More folks seem to crash when working the pods than other ages. I know that the problem of getting to the caves in the first place was supposed to have been fixed a while back but, it still seems to rear it's ugly head every now and then. You should be able to just step off the edge with the result being the return to Relto but, if you have tried a couple of times and had no success, I would suggest a ticket. The Pods were buggy when they first appeared and with all the new content and changes coming down the pipe, heaven knows what else is being affected.

Thank you Kon'Dor for the information. I really only had the problem in this last episode. Granted, it was with a new avatar. Interestingly, I have 2 female avatars and only had Bahro Cave problems once or twice. With the most recent avatar addition, a male avatar, every Bahro Cave had a problem coming or going (sometimes both!).

--------------------
We long for an affection altogether ignorant of our faults. Heaven has accorded this to us in the uncritical canine attachment. ~George Eliot

+Quote Post
Kon'Dor
post Nov 1 2007, 12:23 AM
Post #5

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 4,731

The old fix for "going to" the Bahro cave from a pod was: When the portal appears in the Pod, take a KI picture of it before you walk through it. You have plenty of time as the portal lasts for almost a full minute. This seems to wake up the server and there are fewer BSOD's.

I doubt that would help with exiting the cave but, anything is worth a shot..... Take a pic inside the cave prior to stepping off the edge.

--------------------
STERCUS ACCIDIT

+Quote Post
Michi
post Nov 1 2007, 04:17 PM
Post #6

Uru Explorer
Group Icon

QUOTE (Kon'Dor @ Nov 1 2007, 01:23 AM) *
The old fix for "going to" the Bahro cave from a pod was: When the portal appears in the Pod, take a KI picture of it before you walk through it. You have plenty of time as the portal lasts for almost a full minute. This seems to wake up the server and there are fewer BSOD's.

I doubt that would help with exiting the cave but, anything is worth a shot..... Take a pic inside the cave prior to stepping off the edge.

It is funny you say that because I tried to do that, take a picture, when the portals were still new. I missed the portal, and have never tried that again! whistling.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
julia
post Dec 23 2007, 12:14 AM
Post #7

Uru Fan
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,582

QUOTE (T'andra @ Oct 29 2007, 11:09 AM) *
Hi Everyone, innocent.gif

This is a guide to help you not crash whenever you are in a Bahro Cave. clapping.gif

After retrieving you Totems or Wedges, walk to the edge of the circle and stop oops.gif before you jump. You see you carry a camera on your shoulder, shock.gif and this camera needs time to go to the ceiling of the Bahro Cave and look at the top of your head before you jump. Once the angle of the camera is pointing on your head, that is when you jump, and 9 times out of 10 you will not crash. wink3.gif

To many of us hit the spirals and walk and jump of the edge before the camera has had a chance to get to the ceiling, henceforth when you jump the camera will hit the collision wall headbang.gif and you get booted out of the game. cry.gif

So my advice to all you Bahro Cave jumpers, STOP, let your poor dear camera catch up with you, hug.gif and allow the camera
to get to the ceiling, you can visibly see it, and then JUMP. flex.gif

Henceforth "NO CRASHIES". thumbsup.gif

Food for thought huh. I hope this helps. Enjoy your explorations people. clapping.gif

To think I have been bothering tech (fruitlessly) ("update your drivers: it's all your fault...")...for about 5 months. Dead seriously, T'andra? Wait at the edge for a darned camera? Oh well, I will put a pause on my kamikazi bahro cave jumps and try it. Those relogons get very tedious.....and most of them are exiting Bahro caves....

Any answer for "Uruexplorer.exe has ceased working" in general links? This is the pits in places like Ahnonay....link/crash, link/crash, link/crash.... angry.gif

+Quote Post
Deryn
post Dec 24 2007, 09:04 AM
Post #8

Uru Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,112

Ahhh, Julia...

Any answer for "Uruexplorer.exe has ceased working" in general links? This is the pits in places like Ahnonay....link/crash, link/crash, link/crash.... angry.gif

My problem exactly! Believe me...I've had my share of this event happening! Glad to hear I'm not the only one this is happening to and would also like to know the cause.

Thanks, Deryn

--------------------
Patiently waiting for M.O.R.E.

+Quote Post
julia
post Dec 31 2007, 07:10 AM
Post #9

Uru Fan
Group Icon

Mar'eth, tech could give me no help at all, but is such an issue I'd desperately like to solve it, if you want to PM me and we can see if there are any corresponding features. They told me that there was one other person they knew of who had the problem, an Australian also, though they were pretty sure that there were server issues for that person. I wondered if there was a latency component since (though the Relto book doesn't always appear), I knew if the book came up that I was safe and would Relto. But as I said, this doesn't always happen. That in itself is strange, either it should or it shouldn't, surely?

Because the Relto book appeared sometimes it reminded me of the permanent fissure problem which some people (predominantly Southern Hemisphere) experienced. Until the last new avvie I ran, this problem persisted, and could only be resolved using an unofficial workaround. But that doesn't apply here, I just crash. But I did wonder if distance from server impacted on safe return to Relto. The problem always occurs more often than not, exiting Bahro caves, but it does occur also when just linking, to great frustration in Ah, no, nay, not again! as I have taken to calling the Age.

It doesn't appear given the response to this thread, to have been a widespread problem, so tech, bless them, though sympathetic, have other priorities, but for those who do have it, it's a pain in the Bahro cave... whistling.gif

I tried T'andra's suggestion. I went through 4 caves, with one avatar, successfully, thought "Whoo hoo!" and then statistics reasserted themselves. Crunch! Crash! Bang! Smash! Wham! and so on. After taking 3 avatars through all the Bahro caves, including the pods (which meant long waits), to give her suggestion a fair trial, I did not find it helped. In fact, at least once I crashed after stepping carefully over the edge with the cavern perched cheerfully on my head...and once, becoming tired of the game, I hurtled over, camera left behind me yelling "Wait!", and Relto'd cleanly. T'andra's suggestion did not change my crash rate at all. I wish it had and hope it works for others.

+Quote Post
Deryn
post Dec 31 2007, 08:49 AM
Post #10

Uru Veteran
Group Icon

Julia, thanks for responding.

After several conversations in the GoG about this problem, which usually happens to me (and others) when I go to someone's Relto to lend a helping hand in Ahnonay or Ercana, I always freeze up and Uru stops working when I link to the respective age. More often to Ahnonay than Ercana though. We've discussed having the person we're helping turn off the thunder and lightning and the logs and stones relto pages before linking there (the thunder always causes me to cringe shock.gif anyway on Relto, but not so much in real life. I'm used to it here). It helped so far the one time I assisted someone, so will keep trying.

Haven't tested this theory much yet, but plan on it at some point soon. Jarelav also mentioned turning off all programs running that are not needed to run Uru. I'll keep you posted on my results. thumbsup.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jarelav
post Dec 31 2007, 02:18 PM
Post #11

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Website Contributor (Greeter)
Member No.: 4,899

QUOTE (julia @ Dec 22 2007, 07:14 PM) *

There may be programs running in the background (e.g., AIM, Musicmatch Updater, Adobe Updater, RealPlayer Updater) that I don't always need. So I uncheck them and restart my comp for it to take effect. This frees up some much needed RAM esp. if your comp has only the bare minimum to run Uru.

To uncheck them: If you have XP, on the Desktop click Start, then Run, then type "msconfig" then click the Startup tab. The checked boxes show what's running in the background. Then, uncheck the unnecessary ones. GT support also helped me decide which programs were not needed.

Also, as Deryn mentioned, try turning off your lightning page and rain page, leave, then Relto back. You can always turn them on later. Ahnonay is stormy enough as is. I found it seems to help.

--------------------
jarel, formerly Schlomo
MOULa KI: 00405546

+Quote Post
Deryn
post Dec 31 2007, 08:07 PM
Post #12

Uru Veteran
Group Icon

Thanks for the back-up on that Jarelav. Knew you posted it somewhere.

I did it today and whalla! Not one single freeze up when helping someone in Ahnonay. Once to rotate the spheres and a couple to drop pellets. All that and greeting with a couple of side trips to someone's Kadish via their Relto to provide gentle hints and nudges.

Every little bit helps folks. Post it...whatever works for you.

thumbsup.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
julia
post Jan 1 2008, 02:48 AM
Post #13

Uru Fan
Group Icon

It's primarily a Bahro cave exit problem, and some linking, (which is why Ah!NO!Nay! is such a pain in the butt) and with the specific message after ctrl+alt+dlt of "Uruexplorer.exe ceased working". It is not a simple CTD without message. There are 2 threads on UL forums about connectivity issues ("Are You One of The Unlucky Ones" and "The Death of Uru - an open letter"), which suggest some timing issues may be traceable to within GT, rather than Cyan or enduser. I am not tech enough to apply the diagnostics to my problem, but the fact that the appearance of the Relto book lets me know that my landing will be safe makes me wonder if there is such an issue for me. I am going to keep track of times, since I can't do anything else. The problem existed before the Thunder/Lightning page arrived, but thanks for the suggestion. I am running Vista, and the question of turning other programs off was addressed by tech, as was a trial of running the game as administrator, and also of selecting affinity for one CPU, since some games are not supported by Vista (eg:MTGO) and don't run at all or run erratically on PC 's with twin processors. I also have 4G RAM, more than most mobs of sheep...

I see many problems solved in the forums and this willingness to help others which typifies UL has always been one of UL's strongest points in my estimation.

A visitor to the GoG today seemed non-plussed that all we had was puzzles, no quests, no shooting stuff. Seemed a little lost when I asked (politely) was that all there was to gaming, and had they thought of community and helping others. I guess that is the major difference between UL and other MMORPGs. We are not driven primarily by a competitive urge.

+Quote Post
jarelav
post Jan 1 2008, 03:19 AM
Post #14

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Website Contributor (Greeter)
Member No.: 4,899

QUOTE (julia @ Dec 31 2007, 09:48 PM) *
A visitor to the GoG today seemed non-plussed that all we had was puzzles, no quests, no shooting stuff. Seemed a little lost when I asked (politely) was that all there was to gaming, and had they thought of community and helping others. I guess that is the major difference between UL and other MMORPGs. We are not driven primarily by a competitive urge.

Right, Uru is not about fighting and dying (which is a crude way of stopping players from finishing too quickly) nor about the accumulation of gold and treasures and such. In Uru, the prizes are different, as they are connected (somehow) with the D'ni and the Bahro.

Are you sure he was a "visitor"? They only get access to the Cleft and Bevins, and limited clothing. If they want Quests then they have to subscribe. And sadly this visitor is misinformed. Uru is filled with quests...the first Yeesha Quest, then Marker Quests, the Shell Quest....

And there IS a gun somewhere in Uru, if he wants to shoot stuff. But you're right, Uru is not about fighting and dying, but about connecting, building, and "giving back."

--------------------
jarel, formerly Schlomo
MOULa KI: 00405546

+Quote Post
julia
post Jan 17 2008, 03:52 AM
Post #15

Uru Fan
Group Icon

Yes, it was a young visitor, teens. I am inclined to agree with those who think limited access to some age or other, so that visitors can get an idea of the puzzles that UL holds. He meant what most MMORPGamers think of quests, what we have has a subtle difference, but yes, I guess can be regarded as "quests" though I never saw them in this light. I guess because UL has, by and large, a non-linear nature (there are exceptions, obviously) whereas, in my limited experience of other MMORPGs you have to finish quests to progress/finsh. As I said, my experience of other MMORPGs is limited, so please don't go for my jugular....

Never thought of the contraption in Teledahn as a gun, but since Kam Uraki had people popping off interns in Teledahn in the series of vids he made about UL, then, I guess a gun it is. I would not like to see the concepts of killing for the acquisition of points/booty/game progress introduced in UL. I didn't like the deaths of the pixel groups that were "Wheely" and "Rosie", but that's me...

I had to kill an apparently benign NPC in GuildWars the other night when it turned out he wasn't, and it was him or me. This may prove the telling point for me in such a game. I"m a nurse and though I think there is a part of us which is hard-wired for self preservation, I do not like the sophistry with which we justify the killing we do as a species. And I don't like the massaging of our consciences that we do by reducing people to stats and blips on screens.

This is very off the topic, but obscurely makes me feel better for getting it off my chest, so please excuse my delinquency.

I still crash on exiting Bahro caves.... confused1.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th December 2019 - 04:44 PM