buy antibiotics without prescription
Guild of Greeters   Suitable for Every Age   

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Crashing Issues After HDD Upgrade, Ideas, anyone?
L'lee
post Jan 7 2008, 11:53 AM
Post #1

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Guild Master (GM)
Member No.: 1,084

Ever since my hubby upgraded my HD (access speed/capacity) over the Christmas holidays, I have had issues with MO:UL crashing when I am in a Bevin...

Before you ask, the only thing that changed, to my knowledge, in the software installation was that instead of installing Norton System Works, due to past "obnoxious invasive issues," we installed PC-cillin Internet Security instead...

Oh, and I think I forgot to turn it off when I actually installed MO:UL but I allowed the changes made by the installation... any suggestions of known issues?

What apparently happens is upon linking into the Bevin, I am there for anywhere from 3 secs to 10 minutes, and then my laptop gives me a flash of a blue error screen just before it spontaneously reboots itself. Unfortunately, the error screen disappears too quickly for me to see what the actual error is. down.gif

This post has been edited by L'lee: Jan 7 2008, 12:07 PM

--------------------
When asked if my cup is half-full or half-empty my response is,
"I am thankful that I have a cup!"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Jan 7 2008, 12:41 PM
Post #2

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Website Contributor (Greeter)
Member No.: 4,706

The obnoxious Blue Screen of Death. All I can suggest is to check to make sure the HD connector is seated securely. You could try running the Add New Hardware wizard to make sure the drive change does not require any driver updates (or going into the device manager and select the update driver for the drive). Something is causing a fatal system error. I had this problem when the CPU chip was borderline overheating in the last computer I built. If the CPU got very busy, it would trigger a BSOD and crash (meaning your problem could be either hardware or software). Solution was to crank the CPU fan up to a noisy 3000 RPM.

BTW, BSOD's are notoriously unhelpful in telling you what the problem actually is so you are probably not missing anything you could use to diagnose the problem.

And, I've noticed some strange issues in the GoG Bevin.. video jumping up and down like there's an earthquake going on and I've watched many people link in and just poof shortly thereafter. Strangely, that's the only place I've seen this particular problem.

+Quote Post
Lord Chaos
post Jan 7 2008, 02:17 PM
Post #3

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 3,876

Can you try putting the old drive back in and playing the game?

Also, do you crash only from the 'hood, or in other places?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kon'Dor
post Jan 7 2008, 02:45 PM
Post #4

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 4,731

A quick check to make sure that any other cards or connectors inside the box where not knocked loose while changing drives would not hurt. An intermittent connection or a poorly seated video card, sound card or drive can cause this problem too, as can a poor connections between power supply and motherboard. ( System sees a voltage drop or inconsistency ).

--------------------
STERCUS ACCIDIT

+Quote Post
L'lee
post Jan 7 2008, 04:51 PM
Post #5

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Updated info:

Actually, this was my laptop hard drive that was replaced, so other stuff was not messed with at all (he had to work just to get to the drive bay) and should not have been unseated in the process.

I did manage to figure out that it is not my antivirus that is causing the problem, as I encountered the issue whether PC-cillin was running or completely shut down...which is sort of good, in a way, because once I fix the problem I will be able to run it in the background, I think, with fewer problems than Norton gave me.

Also, I happened to catch a glimpse of the blue screen text at just the right point before the reboot and it said something like "FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA" which got me to thinking...

One change I forgot that hubby made when installing the new drive was to put the paging file on a dedicated drive partition... (He designated it as P:\ for "page file") Anyhow, I was curious as to how much space he'd partitioned for my page file drive, and I think he made it too small. (I have 1GB of memory that is shared by my video card. -- yeah, yeah... I know, sharing memory is not good with Uru, but this exact machine ran Uru just fine before and the new drive is supposed to be faster, bigger and use LESS power than the one it replaced, so it shouldn't even be an issue where Uru is concerned)

He made my paging file size settings ~ 1.5GB min and 3 GB max. However, on my former drive when the paging file was on C:\ , the sizes had been increased to 2GB and 4GB, respectively. Not being the hardware "guru" in our house, I am just *REALLY* hoping there's an easy way to allocate a bigger chunk of the HD space to that drive without the headache of going back through all of the C:\ disk set up from square one!!! I spent Christmas AND New Years without Uru down.gif because he had my machine for the upgrade and didn't get it installed till just a couple of days ago, and then when I finally got it loaded, I went "kablooey" more times in one hour of trying to get in than I have in the entire rest of the past year MO:UL has been active! down.gif

This post has been edited by L'lee: Jan 7 2008, 04:57 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Jan 7 2008, 05:24 PM
Post #6

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Since I am running Vista now, I am doing this from memory. Right click on My Computer and select properties. Click on the Advanced tab and then the Settings button under Performance. This brings up the Performance Options dialog box and again select Advanced. Click on the Change button in the Virtual Memory section. You can then either set Windows to automatically manage the Pagefile or set it manually on one or more drives. MS recommends 1.5 x the total physical memory for 2000/XP. On Vista, it automatically sets the recommended size to be 3x the physical memory. So far I have actually use only two times the physical memory for my pagefile.

For best performance, you should create a pagefile on a separate partition. For my kid's gaming system, I created an 8GB C: partition for the boot and pagefile and loaded the OS on the D: partition. If you put it on the (default) system partition, you should run a complete disk clean-up and defrag. A trick I use is if I have another partition available, I temporarily put a page file on it, reboot, remove the one on the system drive, reboot, cleanup, defrag, recreate the system drive pagegfile, reboot, delete the temporary pagefile. This gives you the best chance to get your pagefile in just one fragment instead of broken up all over the hard drive which can cause performance issues.

I see I did not recommend a setting.... If you do it manually, I suggest a custom size of 2x physical memory with a maximum of 4x with a limit of 4GB... not sure what the maximum pagefile XP can handle.

This post has been edited by J'iim: Jan 7 2008, 05:38 PM

+Quote Post
racegirl
post Jan 7 2008, 07:47 PM
Post #7

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Retired Greeter
Member No.: 1,608

This error message happened to me - see this post. Here's hoping you don't have the same issues I did!

This post has been edited by racegirl: Jan 7 2008, 07:48 PM

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity.....
......I enjoy it!

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Jan 7 2008, 08:09 PM
Post #8

Uru Guru
Group Icon

You can defrag your pagefile with the right utility. There are many pagefile and MFT defragmenters out there but I would be wary of using any of the freebie versions. I have used Diskeeper in the past but it is not cheap. You can find a pagefile defragmenter at the Microsoft website at this link [PageDefrag v2.32]. It supports Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Server 2003. Instructions for use are included on the page.

This post has been edited by J'iim: Jan 7 2008, 08:10 PM

+Quote Post
L'lee
post Jan 8 2008, 12:23 AM
Post #9

Uru Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (J'iim @ Jan 7 2008, 04:24 PM) *
Since I am running Vista now, I am doing this from memory. Right click on My Computer and select properties. Click on the Advanced tab and then the Settings button under Performance. This brings up the Performance Options dialog box and again select Advanced. Click on the Change button in the Virtual Memory section. You can then either set Windows to automatically manage the Pagefile or set it manually on one or more drives. MS recommends 1.5 x the total physical memory for 2000/XP. On Vista, it automatically sets the recommended size to be 3x the physical memory. So far I have actually use only two times the physical memory for my pagefile.

For best performance, you should create a pagefile on a separate partition. For my kid's gaming system, I created an 8GB C: partition for the boot and pagefile and loaded the OS on the D: partition. If you put it on the (default) system partition, you should run a complete disk clean-up and defrag. A trick I use is if I have another partition available, I temporarily put a page file on it, reboot, remove the one on the system drive, reboot, cleanup, defrag, recreate the system drive pagegfile, reboot, delete the temporary pagefile. This gives you the best chance to get your pagefile in just one fragment instead of broken up all over the hard drive which can cause performance issues.

I see I did not recommend a setting.... If you do it manually, I suggest a custom size of 2x physical memory with a maximum of 4x with a limit of 4GB... not sure what the maximum pagefile XP can handle.
If you read my update, that's how the drive and pagefile was set up...

It's on it's own partition and it's set to 1.5GB (1.5x my 1GB) minimum and 3GB (3x my available) maximum... I did increase the minimum to 2GB to test it, and I lasted longer than I usually do, but still got the error without anti-virus running in the background...

I had also checked to make sure shadows were off and anti-aliasing was turned down, at the suggestion of Kon'dor, to help minimize the tax on my system from dynamic game changes around me. And I should note that I am getting the error and reboot ONLY when playing Uru...

This post has been edited by L'lee: Jan 8 2008, 12:29 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Jan 8 2008, 09:02 AM
Post #10

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Another off-the-wall suggestion... Are you running the exact same video driver as the previous O/S load? Or did you update the video drivers to something newer than you were running before?

And did you load all the laptop mfg's system board drivers? (Ignore if you used the mfg's restore/recovery disks which should have loaded them.) Sometimes you can get updated MB drivers from the OEM's support site.

(Apology in advance if these are obvious things you've already tried)

You did not mention if your video memory is shared with the system memory or separate. I believe the amount of shared memory used is a BIOS setting so that really should not have changed unless you reset it manually.

This post has been edited by J'iim: Jan 8 2008, 09:25 AM

+Quote Post
L'lee
post Jan 9 2008, 12:28 PM
Post #11

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Drivers *could* very well have been updated. I will have to check to be sure...

I *think* (translation: "fairly certain") he used the Mfg's recovery disk to load everything for the new drive, but I will check on that to make sure.

I have 1 GB memory that is shared with on-board video (maxed-out for this system), but I don't *think* (translation: "fairly certain") he changed the video memory allocation, and it worked just fine before the disk swap... Yeah, I know it's fairly RAM-taxing to have windows XP, shared video AND Uru running, but... again, it ran just fine before and I could also run Uru with Windows Live Messenger, IE window(s) in the background to keep an eye on the forum AND/OR run WMP to listen on karaoke nights... Now, I can't even stay in with all of that stuff shut down.

--------------------------------------------------------
Of the things you mentioned this time, it sounds like the video drivers maybe being updated should be the only possibility (and even more so if the drivers used 2 yrs ago, when I got the laptop, were not still available for download).

edit: Oh, hubby also created a 2nd page file to get the total allowed space to the suggested 4GB max, since you are allowed to have more than one file. Unfortunately, we don't have anything like "partition magic" to easily fix the "fixed" page file drive size. Yes, I know it's not ideal but it should help me see if that's the problem, yes?

This post has been edited by L'lee: Jan 9 2008, 12:38 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lord Chaos
post Jan 9 2008, 01:20 PM
Post #12

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 3,876

I have read some recommendations to just set the pagefile thing to automatic. Have you tried that?

--------------------

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Jan 9 2008, 02:22 PM
Post #13

Uru Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (L'lee @ Jan 9 2008, 12:28 PM) *
edit: Oh, hubby also created a 2nd page file to get the total allowed space to the suggested 4GB max, since you are allowed to have more than one file. Unfortunately, we don't have anything like "partition magic" to easily fix the "fixed" page file drive size. Yes, I know it's not ideal but it should help me see if that's the problem, yes?

If there is enough free space on the partition where you created the 2nd pagefile, you can just delete the one on your system drive. Increase the new pagefile to 4GB and delete the original all at the same time, reboot, and cross your fingers whistling.gif . Actually, I have done this myself so it should be no problem. Recommendation is to actually delete the 2nd pagefile, reboot, defrag the 2nd partition to make enough contiguous free space (if necessary), and then do the add 4GB pagefile and delete original pagefile procedure. The goal is to get the pagefile in just one fragment.

If you have Norton Ghost... you can make a backup of each partition, then start an install of Windows and delete the partitions. Then boot your backup system disk and tell Ghost to increase the size of the partition at that point. Ghost will extend the partition for you. The other option is to just manually recreate your partitions using the Windows setup, abort the install, and then boot the Ghost backup disk and restore. (This may not be a good option if you have tons of data... you really need a DVD burner to make backups these days.) Vista is a bit nicer as it actually gives you an option to extend a partition in the Disk Management Console if there is room on the disk.

This post has been edited by J'iim: Jan 9 2008, 02:33 PM

+Quote Post
racegirl
post Jan 9 2008, 05:19 PM
Post #14

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Retired Greeter
Member No.: 1,608

No offense, but is this thread in the correct forum? Shouldn't it be in the General Technical Issues and Questions one?

This post has been edited by racegirl: Jan 9 2008, 05:20 PM

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity.....
......I enjoy it!

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Jan 9 2008, 07:55 PM
Post #15

Uru Guru
Group Icon

The problem was crashing only when playing Uru. 6 of one, half dozen of the other. It could go in either thread. :shrug:

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th December 2019 - 04:35 PM