And purrs are hard to find,
But there it is, that thrumming buzz,
Soft, ... and not just in my mind.

You've given me this one last gift
To hold beyond this day,
To hear and feel in memory,
And death can't take away.

(For Shirelle, 1/23/08) Robyn

We had to help Shirelle (Our "cuddle cat.") pass on last night. cry.gif The cancer had spread too far, she could barely eat anything, and even trying to find a comfortable position to lay down was difficult. She seldom complained, but you could see how she hurt and was fading away.

But just a few minutes before we took her to the vet this last time, she did purr for me. Not a purr of pain, but one to show that she was happy to cuddle for a bit, even though she was tired and ill...

Afterward, I HAD to get away, and so visited the cavern to wander through the gardens. I finally returned to my Relto, and put into words some of what had happened and I was feeling. I've made a couple of minor "tweaks" today, but that is all. (That seeming "glitch" in the 5th stanza is fully intentional.)

And somehow, this piece seems tied to an earlier one I posted: Stardust Dreams Not everything I write is like these. It just sometimes seems like it...

Edit: Gee. I've just been looking around. I guess it's poetry night on the GoG forum! laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Nyrphame Danilaise: Nov 10 2010, 09:18 PM

--------------------
"What are we going to do today, Borg?"
"Same thing we always do, Pinkutus:
Try to assimilate the world!"
-Pinkutus & the Borg

Ad astra
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
memiki
post Jan 24 2008, 11:45 PM
Post #2

Honorary Greeter
Group Icon

Group: Retired Greeter
Member No.: 48

My sympathies to you Robyn. Losing a beloved pet, who asks for nothing but gives all its love and loyalty is very sad.

We will soon have to take the same step you have. Our beloved Sassy is ending her time with us. We have had her with us for 19 years. It will be very hard.

Granny hugsssssss

--------------------
Beta Forum Name: Granny63 now Granny70
In my heart, I will always be a Greeter, once a greeter always a greeter

+Quote Post
Ri'ana
post Jan 25 2008, 12:25 AM
Post #3

Uru Explorer
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 5,714

Sometimes there are no words...but yours are beautiful and heartfelt. I only wish I could find some just as deep and meaningful to share my sympathy with you both...I understand your pain. I can't share my stories right now like this, because the pain is still too fresh...but I can offer this one insight from experience...the love and memories will remain, and the pain will grow easier to bear with the passing of time. I extend my warmest sympathies to you both.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ayli
post Jan 25 2008, 01:32 AM
Post #4

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Guild Master (GM)
Member No.: 7

Robyn, my heartfelt sympathies to you. I've been through the same thing quite a few years ago, but every time I remember my Danny cat, who suffered similar illness, it hurts.

Your poem is beautiful hug.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ellen6
post Jan 25 2008, 09:59 AM
Post #5

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 82

A very beautiful and touching tribute. We had to put our beloved mastiff down on christmas eve after 10 and a half wonderful years. Our sympathies are with you.

+Quote Post
Piran
post Jan 25 2008, 10:00 AM
Post #6

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,045

cry.gif cry.gif cry.gif

Oh Robyn...my heart goes out to you, and also to Mem, Ri'ana and Ayli.

I had to do this also...just 5 short months ago. My poor Jes also had cancer. I miss her soooo much! I had a wonderful vet who did all he could and was very compassionate. He took this photo for me "that" day with my cell phone.

Companion photo for Robyn's poem.

It is so good to know others feel as strongly for their pets as I do.

The poem is very eloquent Robyn. Thank you for sharing in your time of sadness. We understand!! hug.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Deryn
post Jan 25 2008, 10:24 AM
Post #7

Uru Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,112

Robyn,

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my beloved "Punkin" last year. I had her cremated so, in a way, she's still very much with me. The crematory sent me her ashes in a special urn I picked out along with something special I have included here. I sure it will mean as much to you as it did to me.

Click here to view/hide a spoiler.
Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
hug.gif

--------------------
Patiently waiting for M.O.R.E.

+Quote Post
memiki
post Jan 25 2008, 10:59 AM
Post #8

Honorary Greeter
Group Icon

Group: Retired Greeter
Member No.: 48

awww Piran, hugsss to you. What a nice picture.

Granny hugssss to you

also that was truly beautiful Deryn.

Hugsss to you also

This post has been edited by memiki: Jan 25 2008, 11:00 AM

--------------------
Beta Forum Name: Granny63 now Granny70
In my heart, I will always be a Greeter, once a greeter always a greeter

+Quote Post
ellen6
post Jan 25 2008, 11:02 AM
Post #9

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 82

My vet sent the rainbow bridge poem and some footprints in ink done after we left. I framed them and have them near me on the wall. I feel his presence that way.

+Quote Post
d'rbeh
post Jan 25 2008, 02:51 PM
Post #10

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,050

wow.

when i read this, it really kind of tore my heart.

there is something particularly painful about watching a beloved pet pass on.

when my cat, "evenstar', passed on many years ago, i was at work, but my landlady went and spent time with him while he was being helped along. he had feline leukemia before there was a vaccine for it.

and then my other cat 'rosie' lived to a very old life, and i went through that process again. i had moved away to LA at that time, and i had asked a friend of mine to be with her when she passed. it comforted me to know that she was with a familiar person, but it still tugged at my heart.

it is a very beautiful tribute, robyn. i understand your grief.

console.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Robyn
post Nov 8 2010, 10:57 AM
Post #11

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,126

Just an update on this poem.

My friend Janet runs both a hair styling business and a kennel out of her home. And while she has had many dogs over the years as part of her business, she's had only one cat, Sydney, for over 21 years.

Sydney was always happy to see visitors and very friendly, but he would zero-in on me as a cat-person who understood proper cat protocols. Greeting Sydney upon arrival and saying goodbye when leaving were an important part of any visit.

This summer Sydney's health went into a major decline. During a visit, while Janet was out with a potential customer looking for a puppy, I was with Sydney and decided to take a few pictures of him with my cell-phone camera. Something told me that I would not be seeing him again... down.gif

I had not told Janet about the pictures, and when she gave me the news of his passing a few weeks later, I put together a small tribute for him and emailed it to her. It was a complete surprise, and the results were emotional to say the least. She printed out the PDF and has it posted in her shop. When I visited again yesterday, she said that the effect on many of her other customers has been much the same, while she nearly broke down in tears again herself just talking about it. One of her customers, a writer, says that I really ought to have this published. Actually, if you do a Google search on "One Last Purr", one of the top returns is to this forum thread. cool.gif (I just wish that the little place-holder boxes that are showing up here in place of the apostrophes could be fixed... confused1.gif )

Anyway, here is a link to the PDF. And just in case you are wondering, I did manage to elicit a purr while I was taking that shot. smile.gif
One Last Purr For Sydney

--------------------
-Pinkutus & the Borg

Ad astra

+Quote Post
Nyrphame Danilai...
post Nov 10 2010, 09:21 PM
Post #12

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,075

QUOTE (Robyn @ Nov 8 2010, 11:57 PM) *
. cool.gif (I just wish that the little place-holder boxes that are showing up here in place of the apostrophes could be fixed... confused1.gif )

Done. smile.gif

It is a lovely poem, Robyn. Thanks for sharing your poignant update with us all, too.

hug_squeeze.gif
nerfy

--------------------
Hey, who stole the other half of my brain?

+Quote Post
Robyn
post Nov 10 2010, 10:09 PM
Post #13

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,126

Thanks, nerfy. It looks much better now. clapping.gif

--------------------
-Pinkutus & the Borg

Ad astra

+Quote Post
Lial
post Nov 11 2010, 10:30 AM
Post #14

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Website Contributor (Greeter)
Member No.: 4,033

It's always sad to lose an old friend, but comforting to look back on a life well-lived. I am sorry for your loss, Robyn.

Lial

--------------------
Lial KI #290984

+Quote Post
Nighthawk
post Nov 15 2010, 04:06 PM
Post #15

Uru Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Explorer
Member No.: 577

Robyn, sorry for your loss. I know what it's like to lose a beloved pet.

I have several, secretly, due to our town ordinances about such things, buried in my back yard.
Their graves are unmarked, but I know where each of them is, and what else is buried with them, like, in a small way,
the things buried with ancient Egyptians, to help and comfort them on their way to, and in, the afterlife.

I know there are "dog people" and "cat people", and more often, just "pet people."

But I ran across a great book of tributes to favorite dogs recently, though it's been published a while ago.
The writing is particularly good, I think. And while it celebrates that bond we share with dogs, I think it is that same feeling we share with having cared for and lived with any animal. You can find it here. To Absent Friends

My favorite story contained in that book is by novelist, and former Outdoors magazine writer, Randy Wayne White, about, well, I don't want to spoil it. You can read the story in full here. The Legend

A a writer, and a good one, I thought you might appreciate both.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th November 2019 - 10:15 PM