Robert The Rebui...
post Sep 12 2008, 03:15 PM
Post #1

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Group: Explorer
Member No.: 3,491

Shorah, Greeters!

I've just completed a write-up on the entire age creation process on the Guild of Writers Wiki, starting from an idea and continuing on through multiple releases of the age. I made a suggestion on how the Greeters are involved in this process, but I sure could use your feedback.

Here's the link to the article:

http://guildofwriters.com/wiki/Turning_Ideas_Into_Ages

--------------------
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
d'rbeh
post Sep 12 2008, 04:19 PM
Post #2

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Guild Master (GM)
Member No.: 2,050

shorah robert!

i read the plan that you have written; it sounds intriguing.

the GoG forum contains some wonderful walk-throughs, as you might have guessed by now (judging on your post). and we certainly have the team to produce those wonderful walk-throughs.

someone from GoG will be in contact with you regarding the availability of those walk-throughs, so keep in touch.

salaam!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nyrphame Danilai...
post Sep 12 2008, 06:58 PM
Post #3

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Guild Master (GM)
Member No.: 1,075

I read the article, too. It is a very clear, step-by-step "how-to" - reading it helped me understand the process a lot better. I was prepared to be discouraged by the sheer enormity of the goal of creating a fully-realized age, but the article parses this into bite-sized smaller objectives, so I actualy found it very encouraging. I think it will be quite inspiring to those who have great conceptual skills but no technical skills as it provides wonderful sets of links to both "people" resource pools and useful technical tools that will be needed along the way. There is even a section that provides instructions on how to get licensing from Cyan. Very comprehensive and easy to read.

Well done!

As to the GoG providing walkthroughs, those who have created those for us in the past have done just an amazing job, as beh says. Ditto beh as well on taking this forward, but I really applaud your efforts personally, Robert.

nerfy

This post has been edited by Nyrphame Danilaise: Sep 12 2008, 06:59 PM

--------------------
Hey, who stole the other half of my brain?

+Quote Post
Robyn
post Sep 13 2008, 09:55 AM
Post #4

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 1,126

Excellent! This writeup is clear, concise and well organized. clapping.gif (I do find the "links" colors hard to shift focus on, but that's a function of the page setup color choice... unsure.gif )

Your last paragraph does bring up a point that should perhaps be mentioned earlier in the process, i.e., preparing for possible future expansions to the age.

When I write a complex piece of software or design a piece of equipment, I try to look ahead to think about possible later additions or changes. I'll make sure to leave room for the additions, or build in the proper "hooks" (Or in this case, maybe a doorway or book pedestal.) to make it easier later. This is simple when you're doing it yourself, but if you are collaborating with others, it is vital that the rest of the team is at least aware of these so they don't inadvertently do something that will make it harder later. For instance, a non-functional door might just be part of the model of a wall, textured to look like a door, but if it is modeled as a separate item, it's easier to remove or animate later once it's unlocked. The same goes for any other barriers you could initially have in place, or areas you want to remain clear for now.

Design and build to meet your immediate goals, but look to the future, and try not to paint yourself into a corner. smile.gif

--------------------
"What are we going to do today, Borg?"
"Same thing we always do, Pinkutus:
Try to assimilate the world!"
-Pinkutus & the Borg

Ad astra
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

+Quote Post
Robert The Rebui...
post Sep 13 2008, 12:49 PM
Post #5

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Group: Explorer
Member No.: 3,491

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! This is a reflection of everything I've learned about the process, not only by doing it myself but by discussing it with others.

Robyn: that's an excellent point! I'll make mention of adding hooks/no-painting-into-corners in the idea phase.

--------------------
Can we rebuild it? Yes, we can.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2019 - 07:45 AM