> Active Vs Passive, The Many Faces of Help
Myer
post Feb 28 2010, 04:13 PM
Post #1

Uru Fan
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 9,299

Hello all! I just wanted to drop a nice little topic of discussion for the GoG out there which deals with the various ways people can be helped in the world. Right now, from what I experience with the little time I can play URU (my internet is almost non-existant due to it's slow connection speed), I have noticed a lotof great ways to be helpful to others in the community. The two major ways are through passive and active help. Let me explain by breaking down the definitions between the two.

Passive Help - This form of help is the most common in the game world. Passive help is simply waiting for others to approach you with questions or comments, leaving it up to those in need of help to take the initiative to begin conversation. We see this form most commonly in the Bevins, with those who greet and wait to help others. This is an effective tool on the day to day workings of helping others, but has many pitfalls as well. The problem with this form of help is the monotony. Waiting for an hour or so at a time in the same local, at moments when maybe no one will show up or nothing will happen. This sort of thing can cause a lot of issues within a community as this is, first and foremost a game.

What ways can this form of help be alleviated of that monotony?

I will see what people think about this question before talking about ways to help fix that.

Active Help - Active help is more wild and chaotic and is a much more difficult form of help in comparison to passive. Active help is the constant searching for those in need of help. This form can be seen by people moving through Ae'Gura trying to begin conversation by the helper and not the helpee. Also it can be seen by events and classes hosted by explorers for others to partake in. This creates a much more unique experience that is more hands on to those that help, but runs many risks. What happens when time and effort is spent in creating a class and open forum discussion on the architecture of Ae'Gura Island when the end effect is that no one shows up? When successful, however, active help is far more fulfilling from a player perspective than passive, but with larger risk of failure.

What ways can the GoG perform both forms of help differently than the current situation? What can they do to improve these forms of help and make the experience more rich for both new and experienced players?

I ask these questions as a person with the want and desire to join the GoG in hopes of improving the quality of the community. I love URU and the world of Myst indefinitely as well as the great work the people within the GoG are putting in to help flourish this continuing community.

So let me know what you think about this concept.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th September 2019 - 10:31 AM