> It Has Started Ten Years Ago
Norfren
post Jan 24 2013, 04:33 PM
Post #1

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 59

There is an important Uru anniversary this year. The closed beta of Uru: Ages Beyond Myst started ten years ago, at the beginning of 2003 (and evolved into the open beta or Prologue in November, 2003.) I don't know the exact date, I joined only in 2003 August.. However, on browsing a secret copy of the old beta forum in a secret Age, the start of the forum was very likely in the first days of 2003. How many of those old betas are lurking still here? (I put the same question on the MOUL forum, no answers so far... down.gif )

--------------------

Second Life: Norfren Zaius - WoW: Norfren at Draenor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ellen6
post Jan 24 2013, 05:52 PM
Post #2

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 82

It was a fantastic time. Hard to believe that it is 10 years already.

+Quote Post
Ayli
post Jan 24 2013, 09:51 PM
Post #3

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Guild Master (GM)
Member No.: 7

I concur, hard to believe, it was only smile.gif 10 years ago!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ja'de
post Jan 25 2013, 04:16 PM
Post #4

Guild Master
Group Icon

Group: Admin (Admin)
Member No.: 19

I was there. I think it was around March that I got my letter but my memory is aging as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CountryEastern
post Feb 3 2013, 07:43 PM
Post #5

Uru Explorer
Group Icon

Group: Retired Greeter
Member No.: 406

I didn't jump in until Prologue in late 2003. Very potent memories of laughs, wonder, and lag. For the past seven years, I've been Romer Openfield.

Happy Anniversary!

This post has been edited by CountryEastern: Feb 3 2013, 07:44 PM

--------------------
AKA Romer Openfield MOULa KI 03036026

+Quote Post
Ken Telinome
post Feb 3 2013, 10:06 PM
Post #6

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,259

I missed Prologue by a year, but hard to believe it's been even that long. I recently started going down to the Cavern again, and I've realized just how much I missed the community. Especially everyone here--I miss hanging out with you all.

--------------------

Avatar: Ken Telinome | KI: 00329185 | Blog: Living an Ecumenical Life

+Quote Post
jolly
post Feb 26 2013, 10:37 AM
Post #7

Uru Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,760

I didn't join until 2007, when I was able to walk amongst fellow MYST fans. I cherished the time I spent with everyone in the Cavern, and although I am not on or heard from that much anymore--I miss those gatherings we shared. I pray for the day that this cavern rekindles, and sets a beacon for all of us to reunite. I have met so many wonderful people, and we have lost so many along the way. But we treck forward, because we must. With new-comers to the cavern so rare, and new content unlikely to ever be made; this cavern has closed for good. But as one of my favorite characters once stated:

"One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine."

--------------------
"perhaps the ending has not yet been written....."

+Quote Post
Ken Telinome
post Feb 27 2013, 02:51 PM
Post #8

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,259

QUOTE (jolly @ Feb 26 2013, 10:37 AM) *
I didn't join until 2007, when I was able to walk amongst fellow MYST fans. I cherished the time I spent with everyone in the Cavern, and although I am not on or heard from that much anymore--I miss those gatherings we shared. I pray for the day that this cavern rekindles, and sets a beacon for all of us to reunite. I have met so many wonderful people, and we have lost so many along the way. But we treck forward, because we must. With new-comers to the cavern so rare, and new content unlikely to ever be made; this cavern has closed for good. But as one of my favorite characters once stated:

"One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine."

I don't think there is a beacon bright enough to draw everyone back again. Most people I used to know have simply moved on from MO:UL in their lives.

--------------------

Avatar: Ken Telinome | KI: 00329185 | Blog: Living an Ecumenical Life

+Quote Post
Kon'Dor
post Mar 13 2013, 03:02 PM
Post #9

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 4,731

I met some great people and enjoyed good times. Figuratively speaking, the cavern became so unstable and we were forced to the surface so many times that the interest and desire is gone. Fortunately, the majority of good folks found their way to another place. We still meet, explore, discuss and enjoy each others company. The beacon is still alight and still calls the explorers. It just calls them to a different place. Like Ken, I believe the light will never return to the cavern. It was a good run but, times change and we have changed with them. KonDor is still alive and kicking. He is just kicking Dragons instead of Bahro. See you in GW2.

--------------------
STERCUS ACCIDIT

+Quote Post
Deem
post Mar 23 2013, 08:46 PM
Post #10

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,822

QUOTE (Kon'Dor @ Mar 13 2013, 01:02 PM) *
... It was a good run but, times change and we have changed with them.

It was a good run, yes! So many friends, good times at the fountain, and at the Mysteriums. Haven't found anything quite as beautiful, intriguing and serene as the cavern since, but I keep hoping. smile.gif Miss you all. Hugs!

+Quote Post
ellen6
post May 5 2013, 12:01 PM
Post #11

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 82

URU was a fantastic part of my life, from the early beta on. I enjoyed the MYST books (still read them) and still venture into my older myst games, but URU is hard. I hate not seeing all the people and having fun, but my computer didn't like it the last time I tried to play. I have been playing LOTRO for the last 6+ years and love to think "if only" while seeing the new places there.

+Quote Post
Rex Havoc
post Jul 6 2013, 06:55 AM
Post #12

Retired GuildMaster
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,857

As ellen6 shared, Uru was, like many here, a LARGE part of my life! I also started in the late stages of Beta but didn't really meet or interact with many until the Shards were set up. The beauty and detail have yet to be equaled in anything I've played, since. I credit my ability of walking Tower to Tower in LOTRO to my practice tent climbing in A'gura! Uru is the only game in which I've ever dreamed I was there... I spent on night wandering around Eder Kemo! The places and people will be hard to equal!

--------------------

Ki# 651166

+Quote Post
UruBoo
post Aug 1 2013, 07:55 AM
Post #13

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 61

Today is a very special day to me. I'm celebrating exactly 10 years since I first login into Uru Beta! I remember well when I, after created my avatar, "arrived" in the Cleft and heard the sounds of the vultures, the sly guitar, my foot steps... It was all so amazing that I thought I was really there. It was an experience beyond my imagination. It was, and will ever be, the best "game" I ever played. It was a new dimension in entertainment, communication, information, social relation, friendship, cooperation... and all "...ations" you can imagine. All I can say now is --- "THANK YOU URU, YOU CHANGED MY (REAL) LIFE!!!"

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ayli
post Aug 1 2013, 04:01 PM
Post #14

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Guild Master (GM)
Member No.: 7

Congrats UruBoo smile.gif

Uru was my first online multiplayer game that had spun multiple friendships/memories that are still alive in other interactions.

--------------------

+Quote Post
devonette
post Aug 3 2013, 01:24 PM
Post #15

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Retired Greeter
Member No.: 1,068

Devon and I started in Uru Beta in August 2003 as well, though I can't remember the exact date. We're kinda celebrating the anniversary here in Rochester, NY at Mysterium this weekend!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th December 2019 - 08:57 PM