buy antibiotics without prescription
Guild of Greeters   Suitable for Every Age   

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lava Pit
Should we keep the Lava Pit?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 67
Guests cannot vote 
Tijara
post Jan 27 2005, 12:59 PM
Post #1

Founder
Group Icon

Group: Admin (Admin)
Member No.: 1

When we launched the Lava Pit, we said it was for a trial period. We feel this has now been a fair trial and would like your opinions and votes on whether to keep it or not. We will leave this poll open for one week, after which we will take your opinions into consideration when making our final decision.

Thank you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rex Havoc
post Jan 27 2005, 01:10 PM
Post #2

Retired GuildMaster
Group Icon

Group: Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 2,857

I have made this comment before. My initial impression of the Lava Pit was that it seemed out of character with the rest of the forum. That may be the nature of it. In light of the past few weeks, maybe it is good to have a place to go to vent if you need too. Maybe on the on the other, it is helping to fan the flames... I choose not to visit, well, very often. If it were to go, I would not miss it. Now is the time, I think, for those who do use and visit it to speak up! I'm interested to see comments, left here, and will take a side, after I see some comments!!

Rex - Sitting The Fence!

--------------------

Ki# 651166

+Quote Post
Le'ah
post Jan 27 2005, 01:42 PM
Post #3

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 1,106

I would not miss it....rarely go there...to controversial for me

+Quote Post
d'rbeh
post Jan 27 2005, 01:51 PM
Post #4

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Guild Master (GM)
Member No.: 2,050

my opinion on the formation of the "lava pit" has been well known for a long time.

for me, this forum was a place for me to come to find out information about Uru:ABM, and then it changed into something much more wonderful; the reason for this was that i could feel very good to go to any thread and participate in it, not having to worry about the kinds of things that inflamed so many other people on other blogs and forums - we were a cut above... thumbsup.gif

there is a huge problem with delineating opinion from fact; that is why there is inflamation in posts having to do with primarily religion and politics, neither of which i would ever feel comfortable to discuss at this forum, at least not any more.

for me, GoG forum was a place that "rose above and beyond" the inflammatory topics of all of the other forums and blogs that i have participated in. the formation of the "lava pit" was, in my opinion, a reduction of this initial grace;

none of us lack places to discuss "heavy" topics - ones that will possibly inflame others - we all have friends and family that we discuss "hot" topics with; few of us (myself included at times) have the knack of being able to adequately delineate fact from opinion when posting, and also to fully accept EVERYONE'S different life experiences (without invalidating them), their viewpoints (without cutting them down and making them appear foolish) and their particular party or religious beliefs (without demonizing them). i am not saying that any of the above have happened here necessarilly, but an area for "lava pit" topics, by virtue of the name itself, is a place to possibly cultivate hotbeds of anger, discrimination and rejection. for this reason, i choose to only read certain threads here - ones that by the title SUGGEST topics that may be fun and positive (at times i have been fooled).

another thing that has been a matter of curiosity to me is how the decisions are made as to which topics are included/moved to the lava pit. just a curiosity; this of course must be a subjective decision, right? smile.gif

salaam!
bye2.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
devonette
post Jan 27 2005, 02:02 PM
Post #5

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Retired Greeter
Member No.: 1,068

As I've said before elsewhere, I'd be very happy to see it go away.

+Quote Post
Ayli
post Jan 27 2005, 02:22 PM
Post #6

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 7

I know, I could live without the Lava Pit.

I like the rest of the forum, its nooks and crannies. Yammm thumbsup.gif Glick.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ken Telinome
post Jan 27 2005, 02:29 PM
Post #7

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,259

I kinda liked the lava pit. People brought up very controversial ideas here, and people that read here knew the ideas were controversial. When I came, the lava pit was already in place, and most of the stuff I read people responded cooly and many times even laughed with each other about the topics.

I have seen more hotheadedness and rash taken in the GoG feedback forum than in the Lava Pit. I noticed many posts on that forum that had to be locked because they were so out of control. If I am wrong, please correct me, but I don't remember seeing too many locked Lava Pit topics (edit: I read the first locked topic on the Lava Pit that I saw, and I agree that it should have been locked. One person incited the rest of the chaos and wouldn't leave it alone, forcing others to close the topic. But that was the result of ONE single person). It seems to me that this means that people who read the topics and post in Lava Pit are mature enough to be aware that what they say may offend others and what others say may offend them. So people tend to be a little more open-minded about things.

I've actually learned alot about ideas and people by reading some of the things in Lava Pit. I would hate to see it go.

This post has been edited by Ken Telinome: Jan 27 2005, 02:41 PM

--------------------

Avatar: Ken Telinome | KI: 00329185 | Blog: Living an Ecumenical Life

+Quote Post
Li'Sah
post Jan 27 2005, 05:21 PM
Post #8

Uru Explorer
Group Icon

Group: Explorer
Member No.: 2,897

The Lava Pit needs to stay.

I think that everyone has conducted themselves very well there overall and there needs to be some place where we have the option to push the envelopes a bit.

--------------------
Li'Sah
The Quantum Columbus Neighborhood
Real Training for Real Linking

+Quote Post
Nyrphame Danilai...
post Jan 27 2005, 06:08 PM
Post #9

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,075

FWIW, I am happy that we have a lava pit. I find the discussions to be generally engaging, mature and intelligent -- just like the rest of the forum. After all, we members of the GoG do not park our brains or our good will outside the Lava Pit door; we take there what we bring to this forum elsewhere.

What this has meant is that, for those of us who do like to hear others views on some subjects such as spirituality or religion, there is a place to discuss such things out of earshot of our beloved fellow GoG members who would prefer not to be involved where either of these is the subject matter.

As an aside, it also seems to be that the Lava Pit also has the tangential and unintended benefit of being a bit of a flamer-magnet, i.e., it helps keep the few trolls that the GoG has attracted out of the general population and in a weird way it encourages them to show themselves for what they are, the more quickly to be indentified and dispensed with.

nerf.

--------------------
Hey, who stole the other half of my brain?

+Quote Post
Ja'de
post Jan 27 2005, 07:07 PM
Post #10

Guild Master
Group Icon

Group: Admin (Admin)
Member No.: 19

I like the Lava Pit and have found that those who do post there are generally well behaved. I'd like to see it stay.

--------------------

+Quote Post
gaiasmaiden
post Jan 27 2005, 07:12 PM
Post #11

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,450

for me the lava pit was a place to talk about things that might be touchy to others

religion
gun control
time travel
scientific ideas
society or lack of
aliens.....

this was a place that we could go and talk about things with our friends here at gog. i would be disappointed if it were to be taken out. i thought that it was going to be set up so that if you didn't want it it told a mod or gm and it would be locked out of your account. i felt that was a reasonable way to handle it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ra'Phil
post Jan 27 2005, 07:12 PM
Post #12

Uru Citizen
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,848

I don't venture into the Lava Pit very often, but I don't have a problem with it being there for others.

--------------------
IPB Image
Happily Institutionalised in Uru Live. KI: 389384.

+Quote Post
kurtg1265
post Jan 27 2005, 10:33 PM
Post #13

Cactus King
Group Icon

Group: Veteran Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 93

I like the Lava Pit myself. There are some very interesting and well thought out discussions there, and everyone so far has conducted themselves in a very mature and adult manner while posting there. I think it would be a shame to loose such a place where those that wish too can discuss the more controversial topics.

--------------------

+Quote Post
albert
post Jan 28 2005, 03:43 AM
Post #14

Uru Citizen
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 771

Should we keep the gog ? sleep2.gif

+Quote Post
ammater
post Jan 28 2005, 06:51 AM
Post #15

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,049

What d'rbeh said....is perfect, my feelings also.

--------------------
I thank God for this most amazing day, for the leaping greenly spirits of trees, and for the blue dream of sky and for everything which is natural, which is infinite, which is yes.
e. e. cummings

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th December 2019 - 02:49 AM