> Jumping The Fence, Spoiler Question
J'iim
post Jun 4 2008, 10:05 AM
Post #16

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Website Contributor (Greeter)
Member No.: 4,706

OK. I shot the raw video for the Easter Egg sequence and just have a few retakes and a pile of editing to do. I managed to get the most amazing Zandoni (Zamboni? Zandi-mobile?) crash I've seen to date smile.gif.

From the timer in the images, you can see that I made it to the jump in just over 9 minutes. If you can preset your bookmarks to where you need to be, you can breeze right through in a short time. This was actually the 2nd attempt as I jumped a bit too close the the darkened post. You aim at the post but as you start up the metal plate, you slide just a bit to the right. The key is triggering your jump at the last possible moment before you run off the edge of the piece of debris.

Note: You cannot make this jump unless you activate and look through the telescope eyepiece. (I really tried but no joy.)

For those that are anxious to make the jump before the walkthrough is published, here are 7 frames from the video showing the jump over the fence:

Click here to view/hide a spoiler.

This post has been edited by J'iim: Jun 4 2008, 10:15 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
UruBoo
post Jun 4 2008, 02:29 PM
Post #17

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 61

Oh yes, memories... I remember the "jumping the fence" puzzle. Because it was a puzzle to me to find the right spot to jump at the time (four years ago!). Then, and now I recall, someone said "look for the darkner fence pole...". And now, if you look at the pictures J'iim took, you can see the "darkner pole". Jump aiming there...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Deem
post Jun 4 2008, 10:56 PM
Post #18

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 4,822

J'iim--and everyone--you guys are amazing! J'iim's diligence and attention to detail is beyond astonishing! I am very grateful. I will give the jump another try tomorrow night (too tired tonight--want to be awake and ready to enjoy the Zamboni) based on the pics. Such a big help!

I think part of my problem might be that right after I looked into the telescope and saw the Cyan crew, "Another one?" my computer crashed! I've never been able to get that hot spot back on the telescope viewfinder. I've reset all the puzzles and played through all the way again, but can never see that picture again or use the telescope. Yet, the Easter Egg still hovers, and I can spot wayyyy in the distance what I think is Zandi! So I'm not sure whether the game is still waiting for me to properly jump the fence, or if there is something blocking me. If I have to reset everything, I'm not sure my efforts have been correct (taking off the Yeesha shirt, relighting the floor in Kadish, etc.). Is there a proper way to reset everything? Call me puzzled!

It's great to see the interest this has generated. See, this game still has some adventures in it still. smile.gif

Thanks again, J'iim. Even if I can't complete this stage, it will be awesome to see your movie! I always loved those. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Deem: Jun 4 2008, 10:59 PM

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Jun 5 2008, 07:38 AM
Post #19

Uru Guru
Group Icon

@Deem.

Since you crashed after seeing the picture in the telescope, the Easter Egg was automatically reset. All you should have to do is relight the steam lamp in Eder Gira and resolve the floor puzzle in the Kadish pyramid. (You may want to change one or more of the imager symbols in Rainy Cleft so you have to reset that as well... not sure if this is necessary though.) Then start over from scratch in Relto and run through the steps again. I will check to see if it is as simple as that. If I can retrigger the puzzle just doing the above, I will trigger the telescope and crash my system manually to see if that leaves the SDL files in some indeterminent state that prevents the EE from working again. There are quite a few bugs in the old standalone version and the Easter Egg has a few by itself. I crashed the Zandoni (Zamboni?) and immediately fell through the desert floor into the grayness. When I tried reltoing out, I ended up in an endless loop of falling through the floor in Relto and panic linking back there.

One helpful hint: go through each of the locations you need to visit and click on the journey cloth closest to where you need to be. Then use the bookmarks to quickly run through the steps. I made it to the "jump the fence" part in about 9 minutes.

I completed the rough cut edit of the Easter Egg sequence yesterday but even chopping some of the longer, boring, run forever parts it ended up at over 10 minutes. It took 3.5 hours of rendering to produce a viewable output. I will be redoing it from scratch leaving out the Relto book selection parts and just showing what to do for that step. laugh.gif I even found out the hard way about the number of frames limit in a SWF video when the movie stopped playing just as I was arriving at Zandi's "dune buggy".

This post has been edited by J'iim: Jun 5 2008, 07:45 AM

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Jun 5 2008, 08:47 AM
Post #20

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Horrors! What could this mean? I visited the Cleft (lousy weather... rain and lightning...) and caught this image of Zandi. Could he be pulling up stakes and leaving the Cleft?

laugh.gif I found another fence jumping trick while driving the Zamboni. Luckily I landed with the rubber side down and was able to drive around inside the fence for a bit. I drove into the Cleft after this but fell through into the void. What a trip!

Assuming you have an ability not normally available in the game to get over the fence (we'll leave that topic up in the air for you to figure out) you can go out, find the Zamboni and drive it without solving the Easter Egg.

This post has been edited by J'iim: Jun 5 2008, 08:52 AM

+Quote Post
Kon'Dor
post Jun 5 2008, 01:05 PM
Post #21

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 4,731

Skydiving and RV driving don't go together either.
I got shafted trying to drive the RV down the Great Shaft. On top of that, it is a long jog across the desert to get to the Zandoni. Is there a defibulator on board of old guys like me? laugh.gif

--------------------
STERCUS ACCIDIT

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Jun 5 2008, 01:39 PM
Post #22

Uru Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (Kon'Dor @ Jun 5 2008, 01:05 PM) *
Skydiving and RV driving don't go together either.
I got shafted trying to drive the RV down the Great Shaft. On top of that, it is a long jog across the desert to get to the Zandoni. Is there a defibulator on board of old guys like me? laugh.gif

If you look carefully at the ground around the volcano, you can see a sort of demarcation in the color as you go up. That is the point where the solid surface turns to tissue paper. Cross the line and be prepared to fall into the void.

You can always do what I had to do... get a defib implanted in your chest... I can never leave home without it blush.gif . Just remember to keep your nitrostat pills in your pocket.

+Quote Post
Deem
post Jun 6 2008, 12:10 AM
Post #23

Uru Guru
Group Icon

J'iim, the good news is that using your advice (change imager symbols, relight & resolve Kadish floor, relight Kemo lamp) I was again able to get the hot spot for the telescope and to see the Cyan family, "Ah, another one?"

The bad news is that just like the first time, as soon as I stepped away from the telescope, my computer crashed to desktop. It must be a major bug with this one point in the Easter Egg (someone else on a thread mentioned getting stuck, unable to exit, while looking into the telescope, in fact). I went around and reset everything. I will give it another try tomorrow night.

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Jun 6 2008, 08:07 AM
Post #24

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Rehashing the usual suspects...

Have you loaded the latest video, sound, motherboard drivers for your system? (I'm thinking it may be a video driver issue)
Have you run Windows update to get the latest OS patches? (You really should not have to do this unless something is corrupted in your OS)
Have you tried loading the version of directX that comes on your CD/DVD? (this is dX9 on my CD... you might be missing some run time component)

The latest XP version is service pack 3.
The latest Vista version is service pack 1. (although SP1 does break a large number of programs)

+Quote Post
Deem
post Jun 6 2008, 09:14 AM
Post #25

Uru Guru
Group Icon

I think I'm fine with that. I had Circuit City install a new video card (and Direct X update, etc.) onto my computer a month ago. I don't think it gets more recent than that--especially for an Easter Egg that was made for 2003 computers...

+Quote Post
Deem
post Jun 7 2008, 04:11 PM
Post #26

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Third time's a charm! My computer didn't crash, I leaped the fence within seconds, and I had a wonderful first ride in the Zamboni! Alas, it flipped and crashed onto its side before we made it over the fence. Such fun!

Here's my first up close view of Zandi:

Here's an after the crash shot:

Thank you J'iim for all your fantastic advice. I couldn't have completed this without you expertise, detail and patience! And thanks to everyone else who helped on this. I feel complete now! cool.gif

+Quote Post
d'rbeh
post Jun 9 2008, 02:16 PM
Post #27

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Guild Master (GM)
Member No.: 2,050

ah, that brings back memories. the first time i did this years ago, i found the accelerator pedal FAR too sensitive and i wound up in a gully, unable to get out.

congrats, deem! the zamboni is a fun ol' jalopy to drive, eh?

clapping.gif clapping.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Deem
post Jun 9 2008, 09:43 PM
Post #28

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Sure is fun, D'rbeh. Thank you for the kind words. I miss you, friend. blush.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th August 2019 - 08:53 AM