> Myst Games Removed From Gametap
J'iim
post Jul 2 2009, 09:09 PM
Post #1

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Website Contributor (Greeter)
Member No.: 4,706

My son found and interesting bit of news yesterday. This post was on the GT website from one of the GT admins.
Myst games being removed today.
Starting today the Myst series will be taking a hiatus from GameTap due to an external conflict between Myst's developer and publisher. Ideally we like to give you, the user, plenty of advance notice when a game is leaving the service but unfortunately this news was just as much a surprise to us. When the issue is settled between these parties we will do everything we can to get these games back on the service.

You must have a GT account to actually get to this announcement so I won't bother to link it. It was in the news headline on the main page.
06/30/09 15:17 - Headline
Myst games being removed today. Read More...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Slugzzz
post Jul 9 2009, 02:58 AM
Post #2

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 2,898

... Very odd indeed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kon'Dor
post Jul 9 2009, 07:18 PM
Post #3

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 4,731

Strange indeed. I wonder if there is some argument over ownership because Cyan is contemplating versions of Riven, Exile, etc., etc ... for the IPhone. The version of Myst that I had was published by Broaderbund but Riven et. al. had different publishers. Heaven knows what Riven would look like on a 2 inch screen but... who the heck knows any more..... smile.gif Anyway, just a thought.....

--------------------
STERCUS ACCIDIT

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Jul 10 2009, 10:47 AM
Post #4

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Website Contributor (Greeter)
Member No.: 4,706

Well, only realMYST is still there. All the other Myst games that were on GT are still among the missing.

+Quote Post
Ken Telinome
post Jul 14 2009, 11:47 AM
Post #5

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,259

I'm surprised Myst and Riven lasted as long as they did on Gametap, seeing as years ago Quicktime updated to a version that didn't support those games anymore, and I'm sure plenty of people couldn't play them anyway.

--------------------

Avatar: Ken Telinome | KI: 00329185 | Blog: Living an Ecumenical Life

+Quote Post
racegirl
post Jul 14 2009, 01:52 PM
Post #6

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Retired Greeter
Member No.: 1,608

Considering they stopped supporting the games, it's to be expected that they would be removed, surely?? blink.gif

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity.....
......I enjoy it!

+Quote Post
J'mee
post Aug 3 2009, 06:51 PM
Post #7

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Group: Explorer
Member No.: 8,065

QUOTE (Ken Telinome @ Jul 14 2009, 12:47 PM) *
I'm surprised Myst and Riven lasted as long as they did on Gametap, seeing as years ago Quicktime updated to a version that didn't support those games anymore, and I'm sure plenty of people couldn't play them anyway.

Maybe some could not, but Gametap was the only way I could play Riven.

My 10th Anniversary Edition set version of Riven, which is marked as XP compatible, has never worked for me (on two separate PCs - all fully patched with current drivers, and otherwise-fresh XP installs). I never did find out why, but I always got blue screens with a kernel message <something>_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I followed every method I could find online, including manual Quicktime removals, and various versions of Quicktime.

I don't think it was a Quicktime issue in my case. Anyway, I was overjoyed and very bewildered when I found Riven worked for me via Gametap. I'm very disappointed they were removed.

J'mee

+Quote Post
Ken Telinome
post Aug 4 2009, 12:14 AM
Post #8

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,259

Huh, that's a problem I never encountered. The problem that always got me was that by the time GameTap got Myst and Riven, QuickTime was at version 7 or so. The games were made with something like QT 2 or 3, and worked up to the first versions of QT 6. After that, QT had changed so much you couldn't play older games that needed older versions. I had to uninstall iTunes (wish I could leave it that way, grrr) and QT and reinstall a much older version to even play them on GameTap.

--------------------

Avatar: Ken Telinome | KI: 00329185 | Blog: Living an Ecumenical Life

+Quote Post
racegirl
post Aug 4 2009, 01:00 AM
Post #9

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Retired Greeter
Member No.: 1,608

Your "<something>" was probably MEMORY or similar - happened to me a while back. Turned out memory sticks were going bad and needed to be replaced.

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity.....
......I enjoy it!

+Quote Post
J'mee
post Aug 4 2009, 08:04 PM
Post #10

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Group: Explorer
Member No.: 8,065

QUOTE (racegirl @ Aug 4 2009, 02:00 AM) *
Your "<something>" was probably MEMORY or similar - happened to me a while back. Turned out memory sticks were going bad and needed to be replaced.

I just checked my notes - it was IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. It's unlikely it was memory because this was on two different machines. Neither has trouble running many other different types of applications, including memory-hogs for video editing, landscape generation, 3D-modeling, etc.

Anyway, I cancelled my GT subscription because that's why I had it in the first place. I'm not a huge gamer, and I wasn't interested in the other content enough to make it worth my $10/month.

This post has been edited by J'mee: Aug 4 2009, 08:05 PM

+Quote Post
UruBoo
post Aug 5 2009, 06:14 AM
Post #11

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 61

An alternative way to play old games (such as Myst and Riven) is to download and install Virtual PC (free) from Microsoft and install Win98 OS over it. Don't have a license for Win98? Don't worry! Since there is no more support for it, you don't need a license. Just donwload the OS from Internet or ask someone who have the installation CD.

It's free and you will find that "A LOT" of old games you coundn't play will work again...

This post has been edited by UruBoo: Aug 5 2009, 06:15 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stephen C.
post Aug 7 2009, 12:57 PM
Post #12

Uru Explorer
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,764

QUOTE (UruBoo @ Aug 5 2009, 06:14 AM) *
An alternative way to play old games (such as Myst and Riven) is to download and install Virtual PC (free) from Microsoft and install Win98 OS over it. Don't have a license for Win98? Don't worry! Since there is no more support for it, you don't need a license. Just donwload the OS from Internet or ask someone who have the installation CD.

It's free and you will find that "A LOT" of old games you couldn't play will work again...

As long as your not using a new version of Quicktime for Riven and your using the one that was on the dvd it will play. If you have a new version of Quicktime your not really using it for anything uninstall Quicktime and search for any remaining Quicktime files. Some Quicktime files do get left behind even after uninstalling. Once all new version of Quicktime files are removed then install the Quicktime from the cd. Then install all using the compatibility mode for windows 98. I am able to play Riven again on my Windows XP because i did just that and it works just fine now. But that alternative is also a option to play the older games.

This post has been edited by Stephen C.: Aug 7 2009, 12:57 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th July 2019 - 01:50 AM