> Windows 7 Beta Now Available
J'iim
post Jan 10 2009, 01:30 PM
Post #1

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Website Contributor (Greeter)
Member No.: 4,706

FINALLY! Just after 1PM EST, the link on the technet page for Windows 7 came alive and I finally got a license key and the download is merrily running. Now I can start testing the Myst games for compatibilty with windows 7. Now if I can find a spare disk to load it on...

Hmmm... I need to check our website with IE8 as well. (Please, no jabs about windows stuff... it needs to be checked out down.gif )

This post has been edited by J'iim: Jan 10 2009, 01:40 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Snerticus
post Jan 10 2009, 07:44 PM
Post #2

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Explorer
Member No.: 26

Awesome!!!! I've been waiting for this!!!

Thanks, J'iim! cool.gif

BTW - did you download the 32 or 64 bit?

This post has been edited by Snerticus: Jan 10 2009, 07:50 PM

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Jan 10 2009, 10:45 PM
Post #3

Uru Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (Snerticus @ Jan 10 2009, 07:44 PM) *
Awesome!!!! I've been waiting for this!!!

Thanks, J'iim! cool.gif

BTW - did you download the 32 or 64 bit?

Both, actually although I only got a license key for the 32 bit version (by choice). The install was not a big deal except for the amount of time it took. Unfortunately, it was a waste of time since my network controller (for which the XP driver works under Vista) will not work on Win 7 so I have no working network connection. The vendor does not even have Vista drivers for the embedded nVidia ethernet controller and there will never be a Win 7 driver. My only choice if I want to use my desktop as a test bed is to find PCI enet card that is win 7 compatible and install it.

BTW, if you don't have a license key, you can reset the 30 day limit 3 times for a total of 120 days by using the command line slreg -rearm (or so I've read). The license I have expires 1 Aug in any case.

+Quote Post
Snerticus
post Jan 11 2009, 08:17 AM
Post #4

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Thanks, I got the license key for the 64 bit. I'm downloading it now, but my connection isn't the fastest, so it'll take a while. And thanks for the info on the reset too! I'll have to try it when I install the 32 bit (if I decide to install it).

Is there a list of compatible devices for Win7? I don't have Vista, just XP MCE. I opted not to get Vista and wait for Win7 instead. So this will be a treat for me! I'll have fun fiddling around with it... and inevitably break something like I always do! oops.gif headbang.gif

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Jan 11 2009, 12:46 PM
Post #5

Uru Guru
Group Icon

I have not found a list of compatible devices and I have looked all over. That's not to say a list might be buried somewhere in the Knowledge Base somewhere but you are given the caveat that there is NO support for the beta.

Rule of thumb, if it works for Vista, it might work for Win 7 but, as I mentioned, it does not like nVidia chipsets (especially old ones). I just dropped a newly purchased GB enet NIC card in my machine and Vista loaded a driver automatically and I'm using it now. I'm about to put a blank HD in the machine now and do a completely clean install of Win 7 now. (I will be whipping up a batch of cookies while I wait for the install to finish angry.gif .)

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Jan 11 2009, 01:47 PM
Post #6

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Well, the new NIC card did the trick and I'm posting this using IE8 on a Windows 7 O/S. I downloaded the public beta version of Norton 360 for an antivirus program but it is only good for 14 days. This web browser is a bit different although it looks remarkably like IE7.

I was amazed at how fast the clean install was. When you upgrade an existing O/S, most of the time is spent migrating your existing settings and programs. Now to take this thing out for a test drive. clapping.gif

+Quote Post
Snerticus
post Jan 11 2009, 09:45 PM
Post #7

Uru Guru
Group Icon

That's great that you got it to work with your NIC! I have AMD chipsets on my MB and realtek as well. I don't know if they'll work but I'll find out. I may not be able to do it this weekend though (Sundays and Mondays are my "weekend" but I'm busy both days). Hopefully someday during the week I'll try but I'd rather have more time like the weekend to play around with it.

Thanks for the thread! Keep posting on your results and experiences with it. clapping.gif

+Quote Post
UruBoo
post Jan 11 2009, 10:02 PM
Post #8

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 61

I downloaded and installed Win 7 Beta.

First impressions:

1 - The installation is like Vista
2 - It recognazited all my stuff, including scanner and printer (HP) - Vista didn't
3 - It runs much more faster than Vista
4 - Automatically recognized and configured my Audio set up (5.1 surround Creative Audigy 2)
5 - It does not have option (as far as I know) to configure your Start Menu to a "Classic" one

After all, I'm enjoying this new OS. It is realy faster than Vista, for those with PCs like mine: Pentium 4 3Ghtz, 2 GB RAM and 80 GB of HDisk....

--------------------

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Jan 11 2009, 11:03 PM
Post #9

Uru Guru
Group Icon

I'm certainly impressed shock.gif . I've never seen a MS beta1 this good before. It is fast and, at this point, the code is seldom optimized for speed. It's noticeably faster than Vista SP1 and seems faster than XP SP3. The UAC is much less of a pain. I was unable to set my video card to do fixed aspect ratio scaling but that's a driver problem I've seen before.

I've had no crashes or stability problems (and realMYST still will not work laugh.gif ). I haven't had a chance to load up much else. I will see if I can get Uru offline and all the other Myst games to work. If I can't get QT 6 to load, I may have a problem.

I hope they keep the bloat out of this O/S. This one could be a winner.

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Jan 12 2009, 04:42 PM
Post #10

Uru Guru
Group Icon

After loading QT 6.5.2 without a problem, I installed Myst Masterpiece Edition. I elected not to load QT from the CD and did allow it to load DX6.

List of Myst games tested on Win7:

1) realMYST - fails (same problem as Vista)
2) Myst ME - successful.
3) Uru/ABM - successful ( shock.gif runs even better than on Vista!)
4) PoTS (w/To D'ni) - successful

Click here to view/hide a spoiler.

This post has been edited by J'iim: Jan 12 2009, 05:36 PM

+Quote Post
Corona
post Jan 12 2009, 09:48 PM
Post #11

Blabberfingers
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 60

So, this XP beast that I own now which still runs realMyst. I think I'll keep it, for a long long time. I may updoohickey to W7 when the moment strikes, but I'll keep my old beast for older games. Thank you.

+Quote Post
UruBoo
post Jan 13 2009, 08:34 AM
Post #12

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 61

I'm impressed on how fast and good this OS is showing to me. This, finally, could be what we always expected an OS from MS should be. Everything I try to install it installs (some with compatibility mode) and runs smoothly. And most of the aplications and drivers I used were XPs. "Asta la VISTA, baby!!!" bleh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Jan 13 2009, 09:07 AM
Post #13

Uru Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (Corona @ Jan 12 2009, 09:48 PM) *
I may updoohickey to W7 when the moment strikes...

No need to worry. The earliest I expect to see a release version of Win7 is Nov (assuming there are no show-stopper problems). It could still slip into early 2010. All I had to spend for new hardware was $30 for a network card because of the poor driver support from nVidia for their chipsets, especially the older ones ( angry.gif meaning more than a year or two old). If your system runs Vista or even XP SP3, it will probably run Win 7 but I would recommend looking for an upgrade compatibilty test program like the one Microsoft did for Vista as the release gets closer.

This post has been edited by J'iim: Jan 13 2009, 09:09 AM

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Jan 13 2009, 03:48 PM
Post #14

Uru Guru
Group Icon

2) Myst ME - successful.

Continuing on:

5) Riven (v1.02) - successful (sound is a bit choppy but playable)
6) Myst III Exile - successful
7) Myst IV Revelation - (bad DVD... I have to run it thru a repair cycle or two to see if I can recover the disk)
8) Myst V EoA - failed with stack crash... checking out options. Detection tool says I have DX10 installed so it won't run rolleyes.gif . I installed DX9c runtime and still no joy. angry.gif

This post has been edited by J'iim: Jan 13 2009, 04:23 PM

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Jan 13 2009, 05:43 PM
Post #15

Uru Guru
Group Icon

2) Myst ME - successful.
5) Riven (v1.02) - successful (sound is a bit choppy but playable)
6) Myst III Exile - successful

7) Myst IV Revelation - (I recovered the first DVD but I can't read the 2nd one at all down.gif )
8) Myst V EoA - failed... received stack dump on access violation. I've heard of this one before...

I will try again to install Myst IV and V this weekend... after I reload a clean copy of Win7.

edit: It appears my DVD drive is failing... reads CDs OK... just not DVDs.

This post has been edited by J'iim: Jan 13 2009, 06:14 PM

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th July 2019 - 06:36 AM