> Uru Inspired By 1956 Film?, "The Mole People"
Deem
post Jul 5 2007, 11:18 PM
Post #1

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 4,822

This is a stretch... But I always am intrigued by what prior books or movies have inspired the great works of modern day. The MYST series is a modern masterpiece. But is it entirely unique, or is it based--however lightly--on something prior?

Everytime I play URU and learn more about the D'ni civilization versus the Bahro, I always find myself thinking back to an old sci-fi film I saw as a kid, "The Mole People." Before you laugh...

"The Mole People" was about a great civilization of people, descended from the ancient Sumerians, that escaped underground long ago to flee flooding and destruction on the surface. Note that "Uru" is a Sumerian word... In the movie, there were kings, and palaces, and a lot of pride (mostly in a bad way). The people of this underground civilization were very pale and couldn't stand sunlight (their eyes AND skin were too sensitive from years of living underground). I don't remember all the details as I'd only seen the film once as a kid. I also seem to remember that these pale citizens had enslaved a population of "mole people" who remind me a tad of the Bahro. At first the mole people seemed monstrous and menacing. But by the end of the film, the viewer came to pity their plight. The movie begins with archeologists stumbling upon this 5,000 year old civilization. Kind of like the DRC discovering D'ni...

I have to wonder if Robyn or Rand saw this film when they were young, and whether it had a subliminal inspiration for them.

What other creative works do you think might have played a role in the genesis of URU?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mole_People

This post has been edited by Deem: Jul 5 2007, 11:22 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ayli
post Jul 5 2007, 11:49 PM
Post #2

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Guild Master (GM)
Member No.: 7

According to Wikipedia,

According to the games creators (Cyan Worlds), Myst Online: Uru Live was inspired by Snow Crash, a book by Neal Stephenson that featured a virtual reality-based successor to the Internet[citation needed]. This does not refer to the story or content of the Myst Online game (which is deeply rooted in the D'ni/Myst universe), but rather the multiplayer aspect of the Myst Online.

Here is another entry from Wikipedia:

According to the creators, the game's name, as well as the overall solitary and mysterious atmosphere of the island, was inspired by the book The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne. Also said to have been an inspiration is The Invention of Morel by Adolfo Bioy Casares, a novel which deals with an anonymous traveller entering a surrealistic island created by a brilliant but deranged scientist.

--------------------

+Quote Post
d'rbeh
post Jul 6 2007, 12:24 AM
Post #3

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,050

"uru" is also:

bread-fruit (Artocarpus altilis or communis or incisa). Artocarpus altilis is the most widespread of the three in Polynesia

and,

Uru is a fictional metal in a number of fictional settings, notably the Marvel Universe. It's more durable than adamantium and retains enchantments very well. Uru is used as the key component in several characters' equipment, including:* Thor's hammer, Mjolnir.* Odin's spear, Gungnir.* The armor of The Destroyer* Beta Ray Bill's weapon, Stormbreaker* Thunderstrike's mace, ThunderStrike* Geirrodur's spear, Tordenstock

fyi...

it's fun to speculate though, and it does bring to mind several movies and books...

smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jarelav
post Jul 6 2007, 01:56 AM
Post #4

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Website Contributor (Greeter)
Member No.: 4,899

I also like what answers.com has to say about Uru, because most say it without really knowing what it means....

The game was originally codenamed "DIRT" ("D'ni in real time"), then "MUDPIE" (meaning "Multi-User DIRT, Persistent / Personal Interactive Entertainment / Experience / Exploration / Environment"). It was known by this name for most of its development time, before becoming known as "Parable", then "Myst Online", before finally settling on "Uru", the Sumerian word for 'deep city'.

So Uru is both grounded in and inspired by a RL ancient language. shock.gif:

--------------------
jarel, formerly Schlomo
MOULa KI: 00405546

+Quote Post
m'tai
post Jul 6 2007, 02:29 AM
Post #5

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Group: Explorer
Member No.: 5,515

I'd like to see this film. I wonder if it's still around somewhere.

+Quote Post
L'lee
post Jul 8 2007, 10:28 PM
Post #6

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,084

QUOTE (Ayli @ Jul 5 2007, 11:49 PM) *
According to Wikipedia,

According to the games creators (Cyan Worlds), Myst Online: Uru Live was inspired by Snow Crash, a book by Neal Stephenson that featured a virtual reality-based successor to the Internet[citation needed]. This does not refer to the story or content of the Myst Online game (which is deeply rooted in the D'ni/Myst universe), but rather the multiplayer aspect of the Myst Online.

Here is another entry from Wikipedia:

According to the creators, the game's name, as well as the overall solitary and mysterious atmosphere of the island, was inspired by the book The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne. Also said to have been an inspiration is The Invention of Morel by Adolfo Bioy Casares, a novel which deals with an anonymous traveller entering a surrealistic island created by a brilliant but deranged scientist.

These wiki entries explain the logic behind the GAMES, as far as how Cyan envisioned them... but I think what Deem was wondering is if, in some small way, this "Mole People" movie inspired the actual storyline of the D'ni -- not merely the "Uru" branch of the mythos, but the Myst mythos, itself...

This post has been edited by L'lee: Jul 8 2007, 10:29 PM

--------------------
When asked if my cup is half-full or half-empty my response is,
"I am thankful that I have a cup!"

+Quote Post
Deem
post Jul 9 2007, 03:23 AM
Post #7

Uru Guru
Group Icon

These wiki entries explain the logic behind the GAMES, as far as how Cyan envisioned them... but I think what Deem was wondering is if, in some small way, this "Mole People" movie inspired the actual storyline of the D'ni -- not merely the "Uru" branch of the mythos, but the Myst mythos, itself...

Yes, L'lee is correct. smile.gif I've real Snowcrash, incidentally, but the story in that was far closer to the Matrix movies. It had little resemblance to the MYST games, other than the use of avatars. I can see Jules Verne having an affect on the Miller brothers as kids--you can see it in the Nemo-esque devices that are in the worlds, particularly the underwater pod in Riven, etc.

The MYST story itself, particularly of the D'ni civilization, intrigues me. What movies did Rand and Robyn watch as kids? We don't always remember the most inspirational things that haunted us in our earliest years. But they do leave subliminal, lasting impressions...

This post has been edited by Deem: Jul 9 2007, 03:24 AM

+Quote Post
CAGrayWolf
post Jul 9 2007, 02:14 PM
Post #8

The Wolfmeister
Group Icon

Group: Retired Greeter
Member No.: 35

I had read somewhere ... quite sometime ago (as in years) about The Mole People and this correlation with UrU. I don't recall where or what was discussed (unfortunately) but I certainly know this has been asked before. I agree that the similarities are rather suspect, but as is often said ... imitation (adaptation) is the sincerest form of flattery.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Deem
post Jul 9 2007, 03:11 PM
Post #9

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Oh, darn! And here I was under the assumption I'd come up with an original thought! whistling.gif

+Quote Post
CAGrayWolf
post Jul 10 2007, 02:09 PM
Post #10

The Wolfmeister
Group Icon

Group: Retired Greeter
Member No.: 35

QUOTE (Deem @ Jul 9 2007, 01:11 PM) *
Oh, darn! And here I was under the assumption I'd come up with an original thought! whistling.gif

It is very difficult to have an original thought ... or even idea ... anymore, in this day and age. lmao.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th July 2019 - 06:40 AM