D'anak
post May 13 2006, 04:22 AM
Post #16

Honorary Grand Pooh Bear
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 254

QUOTE (Lord Chaos @ May 11 2006, 05:03 PM) *
OK. Now I understand what's going on. There's another location you need to visit. Iin order to get there, you have to first go to another, and so on.

The key to playing Riven is to enjoy your surroundings. Don't think of it so much as a bunch of puzzles to be solved, but as a place to explore and learn from. When you get frustrated, quit for a time. Your subconscious mind will continue putting things together so that the next time you go in you'll see more things.

Please don't rush through it. You only get to play Riven the first time once, and it's the best game in the world. Savor it.

OMG... thumbsup.gif

I couldn't have said it better myself smile.gif

I am biased because RIVEN is still my all time favorite game worship.gif

I worked for Sooooooooooooooo long on that game (mainly because I knew I had a long wait for the next one to come out... so I avoided help like the plague).... I had my wife take the guide and put tape over it so that I would only break the seal when I had hit rock bottom.
(*a little secret... I broke the tape and carefully replaced it once in the middle of the game blush.gif *)....
... but THEN....
...came this puzzle that I had been working out for weeks... I knew I had all the information I needed... I knew It was an huge solution that was going to launch me to the next big and final Age!!! confused1.gif ... I wrote out charts analyzing the possible combinations (which were many)... I thought I had worked through all of them..... So I got frustrated and thought, "OK, just push me over this edge, and I'll be linked to the Grand Finale Age!!!" clapping.gif .....................................
I opened the book....
I saw the solution....
I looked at my notes...
I saw the solution...
I had failed to run that combination, but had it in my notes.
........ Oh well, I entered it so I could enter the next Age............
...and the game was minutes from being over... There was no other Age.....
I had a bunch of fun trying every possible ending from my save games (do it often towards the end)...
...but it was over shock.gif

Please don't rush through it. You only get to play Riven the first time once, and it's the best game in the world. Savor it.
worship.gif bye2.gif

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lord Chaos
post May 13 2006, 09:12 AM
Post #17

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,876

The above is spoilerish in a subtle way... could someone please add spoiler tags?

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheGamer
post May 13 2006, 10:38 AM
Post #18

Uru Veteran
Group Icon

Group: Explorer
Member No.: 3,797

ok, just one question, a "yes or no" answer will do just fine. alright, you know the place, where you first link in? and that big cone shaped thing? that has that lock on it. well i have gottten steam to go to it..from that big turning room. but, do i have to go through ALL of the different combinations to get it to open? that will take weeks! i also got that weird fan thing with that whatever it was to go down that big shaft. don't know where it went though.......

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lord Chaos
post May 13 2006, 12:12 PM
Post #19

Uru Guru
Group Icon

1. No. Be patient, Explorer. smile.gif

2. I'm not certain of where you are with the "weird fan thing." Can you describe this more fully, please? I have an idea of where you are but if I'm wrong what I'd offer here would be even more confuzzling. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheGamer
post May 13 2006, 12:58 PM
Post #20

Uru Veteran
Group Icon

yeah i didn't explain that really well. ok...when you ride in the cart..you go to that lagoon place with that big boiler. you know, where you can make steam and stuff. maybe i should put this in spoiler tags...
Click here to view/hide a spoiler.
i went out to the center and turned the handle all the way to the right. then went behind the boiler and up the hill till i got to the cave. going in side there was a small metal dome? you could put a small round thing on it and then when you pulled the handle it went down..
so that is what happened. i dont know where it went. or if i should have kept it open or closed it. did any of you see that cute picture of those kids when you look down at the ocean when you link in? that was pretty funny. i love it when they put stuff in like that. well, i went into that big gold dome room and raised that walkway. pretty cool. don't see any point to it yet though. also, in the rotating room, there is that closed door. or is it even a door? i can't figure out how to open it. OR what that noise is when i pull that lever down in the hidden room where you turn the steam on to that telescope thing..i was on from 7:30 to 10:30 and didn't find ANY thing new or helpful. i found another one of those balls with the D'ni number 4 on it..STILL can't find 1. but i will keep looking and exploring.

Moderator Note

fixed spoiler tag

This post has been edited by L'lee: May 13 2006, 11:08 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheGamer
post May 13 2006, 08:03 PM
Post #21

Uru Veteran
Group Icon

those spoiler tags didn't work. lol. well i am unable to think of anything that will hep me. headbang.gif gosh.. i can't figure out how to lower that bridge. or get over there! THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CAGrayWolf
post May 14 2006, 01:29 PM
Post #22

The Wolfmeister
Group Icon

Group: Retired Greeter
Member No.: 35

QUOTE (TheGamer @ May 13 2006, 10:58 AM) *
going in side there was a small metal dome? you could put a small round thing on it and then when you pulled the handle it went down..
so that is what happened. i dont know where it went. or if i should have kept it open or closed it.

Hmmm ... well did you try raising the the "catch" bask up and looking inside? Usually, only takes a few moments after lowering it.

As for the fan ... have you inspected it very closely?

You you accomplish the above ... other areas will become more apparent to you. shhh.gif

This post has been edited by CAGrayWolf: May 14 2006, 01:30 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lord Chaos
post May 15 2006, 01:12 PM
Post #23

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Yes... I'm a fan of examining ventilation equipment closely...

Also, remember that doors have two sides.

I'm sorry it took me so long to reply. Busy weekend.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheGamer
post May 15 2006, 02:07 PM
Post #24

Uru Veteran
Group Icon

yes. Mothers day weekend was very busy for me too. I will try what you said right now! catch basket hmm? very interesting...thanks. doors have two sides...will remember that too...i will tell you guys if it went well..

EDIT: ok, i opened the basket lowered it. pulled it back up after about 30 seconds. nothing. closed besket and lowered it and waited the same amount of time. nothing. as for the fan.....not much either..but, i will keep trying. Ha. ok...got that to work i am guessing that that was the number "1" i needed?...but what with the fan??? there is a pipe connected to it..that is all i see..i can't click on anything..maybe i go somewhere else?it has something to do with ventilation....but..it there a way to alter the direction? unsure.gif hmm. couldn't find any way to..maybe if i could turn it off.....?Then i could remove the fan and climb through the vent to get to that walkway over on the other side that seems so impossible to get to! but how.i need something to wedge something up in there....am i even on the right track guys? huh.gif also, you know at the big boiler, what is that lever that you can pull up and down? i can't seem to find out what it does. and when ever i pull that small handle over to the far left out in the middle of the lagoon to give power to that little platform..and then pull the lever, it vibrates but that is all..looks like you put gravel in it or something....

This post has been edited by TheGamer: May 15 2006, 03:00 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lord Chaos
post May 15 2006, 04:03 PM
Post #25

Uru Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (TheGamer @ May 15 2006, 12:07 PM) *
EDIT: ok, i opened the basket lowered it. pulled it back up after about 30 seconds. nothing.

Well... you have something open that you know will close. What does that, along with the presence of a jar of little pellets, suggest?

as for the fan.....not much either..but, i will keep trying.

Sticking your hand into a spinning fan could really hurt...

ok...got that to work i am guessing that that was the number "1" i needed?

I don't understand what you're saying here.

also, you know at the big boiler, what is that lever that you can pull up and down?

There's a window in the side of the boiler...

In general, you might want to spend some time wandering around this island, looking at what goes where and how things are connected. Caldera (my name for this island) is a logical place, but tricky. If you get tired of Caldera, there is a way back...

This post has been edited by Lord Chaos: May 15 2006, 04:06 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheGamer
post May 15 2006, 04:55 PM
Post #26

Uru Veteran
Group Icon

well, you know. the ball puzzle all the different animal noises. i couldn't find a number 1 so i figured that was it. maybe not..
Edit: Just now
I pulled the fan doors closed and found two other pathways! one had a cool spinney thing i still am looking around.

Moderator Note

Fixed spoiler tags

This post has been edited by racegirl: May 15 2006, 07:54 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tyr-anun
post May 15 2006, 05:26 PM
Post #27

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Retired Greeter
Member No.: 2,097

QUOTE (TheGamer @ May 15 2006, 04:55 PM) *

well, you know. the ball puzzle all the different animal noises. i couldn't find a number 1 so i figured that was it. maybe not..
Edit: Just now
I pulled the fan doors closed and found two other pathways! one had a cool spinney thing i still am looking around.

Oh yeah! The number 1 . . . If I remember correctly, that one was best found by indirect means . . . Maybe some research is in order?

Moderator Note

Fixed spoiler tags to match original

This post has been edited by racegirl: May 15 2006, 07:55 PM

--------------------
Love is not an emotion . . . It's a choice.
WOOF!!

+Quote Post
TheGamer
post May 15 2006, 05:37 PM
Post #28

Uru Veteran
Group Icon

how many islands are there and what are their names? i would like to know. so i found another rotating thing. had a moving picture showing the different symbols. i found a door. but no way to open it.....dang. angry.gif will find a way soon i bet ! still dont know what to do with that stupid fan!grr.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheGamer
post May 15 2006, 07:07 PM
Post #29

Uru Veteran
Group Icon

any nudges on getting the door to that room open??
never mind. turned off fan and got in...yeah! well i shall explore. this game is fun!

This post has been edited by TheGamer: May 15 2006, 07:08 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lord Chaos
post May 15 2006, 07:17 PM
Post #30

Uru Guru
Group Icon

You're doing great, Gamer. Notice how the way the game works gradually gets into your thought processes, and it becomes more comprehensible. And yes, it is great fun!

Here are my names for the islands you've visited so far:
Big Dome (of which the rotating room is a part)
Forest
Caldera

I won't go any farther than that. You're doing fine. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th November 2019 - 09:33 AM