> Myst V Vista 64bit Problems, Game won't run under Vista 64bit
GreenBandit
post Sep 8 2008, 06:33 AM
Post #1

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Group: Explorer
Member No.: 6,119

My main game PC is currently running Vista 64bit, Nvidia Gf8800GTS, Dx 9.0c, Intel Q6600, 8GB RAM & with a Creative X-fi gamer sound card (is that the relevant stuff?).

After installing the game, when it reaches the "new game" screen it locks up part way through the fading up of the screen brightness, the hand-shaped mouse pointer sometimes appears, and the game becomes unresponsive. I'm not sure it is a total lock-up since one night through a series of many many (unrepeatable) key presses, the game did reach the initial Atrus dialog. It is as if the frame rate is about 1 frame per many minutes, a problem I have now seen a few times under Vista.

PlanetAMD64 does have a link to a file (EOA.zip I think) that was reported to get round the Vista incompatibility problem, but every time I try to download it, it bombs out part way through.

Can anyone help?

p.s. I'm really sad to hear of the demise of URU live, I hope that the GoG do manage to keep at least the forum open.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Sep 8 2008, 07:21 AM
Post #2

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Website Contributor (Greeter)
Member No.: 4,706

QUOTE (GreenBandit @ Sep 8 2008, 06:33 AM) *
My main game PC is currently running Vista 64bit, Nvidia Gf8800GTS, Dx 9.0c, Intel Q6600, 8GB RAM & with a Creative X-fi gamer sound card (is that the relevant stuff?). (yes)
Can anyone help?.....

I have not heard of anyone getting Myst V to run under Vista64... too many driver issues. Perhaps someone else has managed to overcome the problems and will post here. It runs fine on my Vista32 system, however.

QUOTE (GreenBandit @ Sep 8 2008, 06:33 AM) *
p.s. I'm really sad to hear of the demise of URU live, I hope that the GoG do manage to keep at least the forum open.

Do not give up hope. Cyan will be bringing MO:UL back as MO:RE hopefully before the end of the year. Read the message on the main page of the MOUL site. I don't think the GoG will be going away any time soon (although we may be doing a little website reorganization and maintenance before the end of the year as well). Check out the MOUL forum (and in this one as well) for references to MORE or MO:RE. Also, new Ages designed by fans will be added in the future if all goes well.

+Quote Post
GreenBandit
post Sep 10 2008, 06:59 AM
Post #3

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,119

QUOTE (J'iim @ Sep 8 2008, 01:21 PM) *
Do not give up hope. Cyan will be bringing MO:UL back as MO:RE hopefully before the end of the year. Read the message on the main page of the MOUL site. I don't think the GoG will be going away any time soon (although we may be doing a little website reorganization and maintenance before the end of the year as well). Check out the MOUL forum (and in this one as well) for references to MORE or MO:RE. Also, new Ages designed by fans will be added in the future if all goes well.

I had a look at the post you mention, & yes it looks hopeful - the fees mentioned look reasonable & affordable. I have visited URU Live Kareoke night a few times and must praise GoG members for the excellent reception that I received.

We want MORE clapping.gif

+Quote Post
Kon'Dor
post Sep 10 2008, 07:58 AM
Post #4

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 4,731

QUOTE (GreenBandit @ Sep 10 2008, 06:59 AM) *
We want MORE clapping.gif

As do many of us. Welcome to the forum.

--------------------
STERCUS ACCIDIT

+Quote Post
Bubba Gump
post Oct 4 2008, 06:47 AM
Post #5

Uru Fan
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,807

I ran MUOL on Vista 64 with few problems. However, Myst 5 is a different animal. Vista 64's way of handling sound is almost totally incompatible. Best thing is to change to a Logitech USB headset/microphone. Don't install any drivers and Vista will give you sound. Uninstall all your other sound drivers, especially from the registry. You may have to go in and do this manually. Also, take the sound card physically out of your computer so drivers won't be installed for you. Make sure you have SP1 installed. You have to go in and make sure your sound settings panel says generic usb hardware. A few other things you might try are: Try installing in one of the compatibility modes. Start with XP and work your way down until one works. If you fail in that create a virtual machine and set the OS as Windows XP, SP2 and install it there. That one I know will work. If you have Ubuntu you can set up Wine to get a rough but operable system. Any Linux is not a good choice for these games but you may be able to get a playable installation. Wine has been improved since MUOL days and actually will operate most of the features of the game. A friend of mine was so desperate to play the early Myst games, he went to the flea market and bought an old Pentium 3 rig for sixty bucks and went that route. Good luck in whatever you try.

+Quote Post
Ja'de
post Oct 10 2008, 02:22 PM
Post #6

Guild Master
Group Icon

Group: Admin (Admin)
Member No.: 19

Umm...Bubba, If you remove the sound card, what are you going to plug a head set into?

--------------------

+Quote Post
DocPaul
post Aug 10 2010, 08:44 AM
Post #7

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,736

I too had a problem running Myst V under Window 7 64 bit. I had an Exception type: Access violation with a stack call of 14 levels.
I have solved the problem as follows: I installed Myst V on another computer under Windows XP Pro. Then I copied the file "C:\Documents and Settings\(username)\Local Settings\Application Data\Myst V End of Ages\init" to my Windows 7 computer file "C:\Users|(username)\AppData\Local\Myst End of Ages\init." This solved the problem for me. I hope this helps someone else.

DocPaul

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2019 - 01:51 AM