buy antibiotics without prescription
Guild of Greeters   Suitable for Every Age   

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Lava Pit Rules
2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Moul / Uru Dieing, but is life still going on?
Shadowcats
post Mar 31 2008, 07:54 AM
Post #16

Wizard of Oz
Group Icon

Group: Retired Greeter
Member No.: 409

All things come to an end no matter how hard we try.
I started to let go when D'mala started and the the fiasco with GT and International access nailed it for me.
I'm just glad Uru/Prologue was my first start in playing online games with "real people" and will take these years with me and never
forget the wonderful people I have meet along the way.
Even made a few Brothers and a Sis along the way. bye2.gif
Maybe it will be back maybe it won't either way it brought a community of like minded people together and that is a great legacy IMO

--------------------
Of all the things I've lost.....
I miss my mind the most..
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Piran
post Apr 1 2008, 06:56 AM
Post #17

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 4,045

QUOTE (Lord Chaos @ Feb 25 2008, 09:12 AM) *
No other game that I've seen matches its elegant beauty, nor the integration of ambient sound, music and sights.

I feel that the friendships I have made in the cavern will stand, cavern or no. The only reason I selfishly hold out hope for any kind of resurrection is what Lord Chaos has said (above). There are one or two other games that come something to close, but of course they are not MMORPG's - they are stand alone, play alone games. Spending time with friends in the environment Myst provides is, at this point, irreplaceable.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Rex Havoc
post Apr 1 2008, 07:35 PM
Post #18

Retired GuildMaster
Group Icon

Group: Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 2,857

Gee, I made a new Brother, too! bye2.gif Yes, I too am glad to have discovered Uru, back during Prologue. I didn't really make any acquaintances until Until Uru, but at least I knew how to function in the game! The beauty of the Cyan games has always amazed me. The detail to which they have gone to make a game rich and beautiful astounds me. The D'ni language, for example, is complete with phonetics and rules, not really necessary, but fulfilling to those who care to spend the time. I look forward to the future, one which I hope holds something equally as amazing as Uru has been, from our friends at Cyan.

--------------------

Ki# 651166

+Quote Post
jolly
post Apr 2 2008, 09:04 AM
Post #19

Uru Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,760

yes, the passing of Uru will all hit us very hard in the days to come. i wish that somehow GT or CYAN would reconsider this decision as to the fate of this game. yes, it is true that main stream gamers alike favor a gory blood-bath of slaughter to a calm, slow paced puzzle game where people talk and discuss their minds on what could happen next. unless CYAN somehow agreed upon a system for a free server like that of Bungie's for HALO PC, there will be no chance of a rebirth of Uru, they simply do not wish to spend money if they are not making money.

i will miss all those who i have met in the Cavern since entering it, i started to miss those once i left. but i think that everyone will miss all that we have been through equally, leaving behind a haven for those who love the series or just those who love this particular game of the series. and i think everyone here would all wish the same thing if someone was to ask them what they wanted if a GT official or a CYAN worker asked one of us. heck, they could just glance through a forum of the GoG or the MOUL forums and know right away what we would ask for given the chance.

so farewell, farewell to that of a landmark game that has been overlook by countless numbers of people from all over. this truly is a wondrous game for all that knew it and played it. despite those who did not agree with one group or another, or the calamities that few have endured within it. despite a few things, we all loved this game for one reason or another.

Ave atque vale, acta est fabula.

"Hail and farewell, It's all over."

--------------------
"perhaps the ending has not yet been written....."

+Quote Post
Piran
post Apr 4 2008, 06:41 AM
Post #20

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,045

You know what Jolly? You will be missed too. I, personally, have enjoyed your young outlook & energy and your mature contributions. It has been a pleasure getting to know you, here in the forum as well as in the cavern.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
d'rbeh
post Apr 4 2008, 12:29 PM
Post #21

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Guild Master (GM)
Member No.: 2,050

platforms may disappear, but true community will not - it will find a way.

--------------------

+Quote Post
jolly
post Apr 4 2008, 11:32 PM
Post #22

Uru Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,760

QUOTE (Piran @ Apr 4 2008, 06:41 AM) *
You know what Jolly? You will be missed too. I, personally, have enjoyed your young outlook & energy and your mature contributions. It has been a pleasure getting to know you, here in the forum as well as in the cavern.

i miss the cavern, true. but the one thing i enjoyed more than the cavern and miss greatly is the experience of being with my fellow greeters such as you. it truly was a wondrous time working with you all... and getting to know most of my peers within the guild and cavern...

i would like to thank everyone.... everyone i have met in the cavern since my venturing down almost a year and a half ago....its funny...i was only in the cave for a little more than a year..... yet it seemed like such a short amount of time has pasted....but i thank you all and i thank the Guild of Greeters for all the things that we have experienced together.

Thank you so very much! worship.gif bye2.gif clapping.gif

...and i truly hope that the ending has not yet been written

This post has been edited by jolly: Apr 4 2008, 11:35 PM

--------------------
"perhaps the ending has not yet been written....."

+Quote Post
Angustaff
post Apr 6 2008, 01:05 AM
Post #23

Uru Citizen
Group Icon

Group: Explorer
Member No.: 3,149

Okay, I've been away making a living and have missed this column until now. bye2.gif

For me, what made MO:UL special was spending time with all of YOU, all of US. I played the games, got stuck, went online looking for a clue and stumbled (thankfully!) upon this website and its community. I was way behind everyone else here, which turned out to be a good thing because there were a lot of folks who could answer my questions (often in cryptic and downright sneaky ways!)

By the time I got to UrU, UrU Live was gone and we had something wonderful in its place - Until UrU! I could go into the Cavern and TALK to people. Hey remember, I didn't HAVE the experience of Live. I hadn't gone to a convention, hadn't met or talked to another Myst gamer in my LIFE - and now, I could! I added something called Skype (sp?) and could really talk. And suddenly, the cavern didn't seem so empty and dead and cold to me - I was surrounded by my peeps!

MO:UL is now dead, and I say good riddance - it was a disaster to me! People died - that's the most un-Myst event I could have imagined. It was like someone took a beloved book and made a parody of it. THAT was not Myst to me, and it never will be. Ding dong the wicked witch is dead! bash.gif

Perhaps a different community will arise from these ashes, and a different dream will take shape with another way of making Myst live again. Like you, I don't want to go home, I LIKE this party......but, the lights are going out, the music has stopped, and again I am alone in the Cavern. And I cannot stand to be alone there ever again. down.gif

--------------------
If you don't take the chance of going too far,
you'll never know how far you can go.

- T.S. Eliott

+Quote Post
racegirl
post Apr 6 2008, 02:21 PM
Post #24

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,608

To be honest, I'd rather be alone in the cavern than in the presence of some of the power-hungry control-freaks that MO:UL seemed to create. Watching all the political machinations going on just made me feel sick. Too many took the whole "IC" thing WAY too far.

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity.....
......I enjoy it!

+Quote Post
Angustaff
post Apr 7 2008, 12:01 AM
Post #25

Uru Citizen
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,149

QUOTE (racegirl @ Apr 6 2008, 02:21 PM) *
To be honest, I'd rather be alone in the cavern than in the presence of some of the power-hungry control-freaks that MO:UL seemed to create. Watching all the political machinations going on just made me feel sick. Too many took the whole "IC" thing WAY too far.

If it was a choice, I'd choose "None of the above!" shock.gif

I don't know about power freaks, and their effect on me may have been subdued due to my not being part of the "in" crowd. Still, it just wasn't Myst to me. But then, to be honest, everything AFTER the original UrU game and Until Uru, has felt contrived and shoddy. At least the minimal UU Cavern was filled with honet-to-God Mysters and NO fake plots to spur us on. smile.gif

--------------------
If you don't take the chance of going too far,
you'll never know how far you can go.

- T.S. Eliott

+Quote Post
Adam_Reith
post Apr 10 2008, 06:15 AM
Post #26

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,965

One of the nice parts of MOUL was being able to just go in and use it as a chat room. Not everyone's idea of what it was all about but good nonetheless. And then there was the opportunity to take part in helping others with group problem solving. Tsogal and Delin runs, Ahnonay spher-turning, pellet dropping and so on.
And the readings of books by Dagda and the Cavern Book Club.
It was the informal layout as well as the stability and ease of getting in to see friends that attracted me. As well as the puzzles of course. And I was there back in the very first live URU several years ago.

Where to go now? Well, THERE.com, Second Life and Guild Wars all have much to offer and in may different ways but it is worth also looking at www.activeworlds.com

This is a 3D virtual world where you can drop in to a communal meeting area and just chat. But there is more. It is not as graphically advanced as the others and avatar customisation is a little basic but the people are great. There are hundreds of different and very individual worlds to explore and it is very easy to build stuff. Really, it is!

Some friends and I have started building an amateur version of some of the places in MOUL. They are not designed to be exact copies, we don't have the skills or the copyright permissions, but they are great as memory souvenirs.

It's a fun place and I have made many friends ther in the past 8 years. They even have real life reunions in the USA (BIG gatherings) and smaller ones here in the UK. I have met many nice people in RL from Active Worlds.

Please give it a try. You need to download and run a small program to access it but it is fun. You can go ther free of charge as a visitor (Tourist) with limited abilities for as long as you like. Then, if you like it, you can pay to join as a member (Citizen) for just $6.95 a month.

Do have a look. When you first go in you will arrive at a place called Gateway. There are Moderators/Greeters there called GateKeepers. They are unpaid volunteers who will help you. If you want to talk to me, ask a GateKeeper (GK) to see if I am online. They can check and can send me a message. I can then come and talk to you and show you around.

Guys and Gals, it is not MOUL but it's good.

See you all soon.

Shorah

+Quote Post
Etheldred
post Apr 10 2008, 09:47 AM
Post #27

Uru Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,961

The ending truly has not been written, yet. I say this because IF Rand Miller and Cyan find it agreeable, and there is an alternative way, then Uru Online will return. Then I'll return to the cavern, and rejoice.

However, IF it does die, then we have all of the memories of the place, and most of us have made friends that we hope to stay in touch with for a long time.

Mysteriums, online contact and whatever else will keep me, although I'm unsure as to whether or not I can get to a Mysterium every year.

BUT, this is only my honest opinion.

Too bad GameTap never got to experience TCLF: Full Throttle.

Neither did I.

*sigh*

This post has been edited by Etheldred: Apr 10 2008, 09:48 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th December 2019 - 01:11 PM