buy antibiotics without prescription
Guild of Greeters   Suitable for Every Age   

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any Techies Still Available To Help Us Lowly Peons With Computer Stuff?
Le'ah
post Jun 20 2012, 05:40 PM
Post #1

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 1,106

My daughter's Toshiba laptop with vista has connected to my wireless network just fine with a strong signal. Problem...I can't figure out how to get it to see the internet. I tried updating the driver on the wireless network card...but as far as I can tell no update available.

I checked all the settings to match the Acer laptop with vista that connects without a problem. Daughter said hubby's Toshiba laptop also would not connect wirelessly. Toshiba problem?...is there a work around? HELP!

My next step is to find my router paperwork and try to load it to the laptop. But that seems kind of weird.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dadguy
post Jun 20 2012, 11:15 PM
Post #2

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 28

Hi Le'ah,

Some questions for you:

1. When you hover over the network icon in the taskbar (lower right next to the speaker icon) it will show which wireless router it is connected to:
- Is the ID name the correct router (i.e., YOUR router and not a neighbors?)?
- Does it say Internet Access, or does it say "Local Only". The latter means it connected fine but isn't seeing the Internet
2. Is the Network Connection classified as PUBLIC or PRIVATE? (Right-click on network icon and choose Open Network Connections to see details).
3. Do other wireless devices connect through this router with Internet Access with no problems?
4. Is your router secured with a password?

I can tell you that I have many VISTA customers that have similar problems. Usually the problems are that it connects, then disconnects, then connects, etc.... As near as I can determine these are related to complex incompatibilities with the way VISTA works with it's drivers and services. Some of my customers resort to buying a seperate USB wireless adapter and trying to connect that way... if they are lucky, the wireless adapter doesn't have the compatibility problems.

It's hard to troubleshoot this way, but maybe I can offer some advice with your responses.

Cheers,

Dadguy

This post has been edited by dadguy: Jun 20 2012, 11:17 PM

+Quote Post
UruBoo
post Jun 21 2012, 06:19 AM
Post #3

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 61

Hi Le'ah!

One thing: - Check if the wireless network is set to determine IP address "staticaly" and not "dinamicaly". If it is, there should be your problem. Check in your computer (under TCP/IP protocol) if it is checked as "use the following IP address" or "obtain an IP address automaticaly". Depending on how your network was configured, sometimes you can not let the router choose the IP for the network (dinamic) and you have to enter the IP manualy (static).

Just my 2 cents...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Le'ah
post Jun 21 2012, 08:21 PM
Post #4

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Thanks guys for the support. Bear with me. I'm not a full blown techie...but I have some knowledge.

Dadguy...The toshiba is connected to the correct network with the password....it says local only and there are no bars. I know that is probably the problem...but I don't know how to resolve it. There is no option to change it. The toshiba shows location type as public. All of my computers....four laptops connect to the internet without a problem. Though my mom couldn't connect when she visited. My router is a cisco n3000..should not be the problem. I really think it is the toshiba. But you guys are the experts.

If I need to get into the router software...I can!

Did I mention that diagnose and repair can't fix the problem. I'm keeping this open for awhile to see if you are on smile.gif

This post has been edited by Le'ah: Jun 21 2012, 09:33 PM

+Quote Post
Le'ah
post Jun 21 2012, 08:47 PM
Post #5

Uru Guru
Group Icon

URUBOO where do I find the tcp/ip protocol you are looking for? Sorry I'm really tired...

+Quote Post
dadguy
post Jun 22 2012, 12:41 AM
Post #6

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 28

QUOTE (Le'ah @ Jun 21 2012, 08:21 PM) *
Thanks guys for the support. Bear with me. I'm not a full blown techie...but I have some knowledge.

Dadguy...The toshiba is connected to the correct network with the password....it says local only and there are no bars. I know that is probably the problem...but I don't know how to resolve it. There is no option to change it. The toshiba shows location type as public. All of my computers....four laptops connect to the internet without a problem. Though my mom couldn't connect when she visited. My router is a cisco n3000..should not be the problem. I really think it is the toshiba. But you guys are the experts.

If I need to get into the router software...I can!

Did I mention that diagnose and repair can't fix the problem. I'm keeping this open for awhile to see if you are on smile.gif

This is good info, Le'ah. :-)

Unfortunately, the resolutions get more complex now.

1. The Local Only tells a huge story. You can't browse the Internet when this is shown. It means the laptop is getting an IP address from the router (or as UruBoo states, it is using a FIXED IP address), but it stops there - can't get past the router to the Internet. I am betting that the network diagnostics are recommending that you cycle power on your router then try again.

2. UruBoo's question is valid, especially when the other PCs are connecting. Let me think about the easiest way to step you through this check (I am not on a VISTA PC now and the steps are different). In short, you have to find the Properties page for the wireless device, then select TCP/IP Protocol and choose properties for that. It should be set to "Obtain an IP address automatically"

3. I can't find a Cisco n3000 wireless router - is this the wireless router? Is it possible the wireless comes from a different unit and the Cisco router is something different (a switch)?

4. What is your Broadband supplier? Comcast? Verizon?

I go back to compatibility issues that I run into all the time with VISTA computers. Have you tried connecting the PC to the Broadband device using a hard-wired cable? Sometimes I have had success by upgrading the wireless router's firmware to resolve these things.

Again, it is difficult to troubleshoot this way, but I happy to continue the dialog for as long as you have energy for it. :-)

Cheers,

Dadguy

This post has been edited by dadguy: Jun 22 2012, 12:43 AM

+Quote Post
Le'ah
post Jun 22 2012, 07:20 AM
Post #7

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Thanks Dadguy.

I figured that was the story...especially when I see wireless grayed out and local only active.

OPPS, the router is a Cisco Linksys E3000. sorry about that.

I did some more poking around last night and the toshiba was set on channel 10. I moved it to channel 11 as that is the 2.4g channel. Not the problem. I am on ATT DSL wired to the Cicso all computers are wireless.

BTW I am usually on the computer until about 10:30 CDT with the weekend coming up I can be on later...may have to skip breakfast but that's ok or better yet take a nap! Ha! Let me know.

When yo say find the properties page for the wireless device...this is on which computer...I'm using an hp....or the toshiba? Or go into the router? I have w7 on the hp. OK got to run...some of us still work smile.gif and thankful for it!

This post has been edited by Le'ah: Jun 22 2012, 01:36 PM

+Quote Post
UruBoo
post Jun 22 2012, 07:52 AM
Post #8

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 61

Le'ah, follow this LINK to see "how to change IP address" in your computer. If in "YOUR" computer (the HP, I guess) it shows an static IP instead the "obtain an IP address automaticaly" option, then that may be your problem. If this is the case, try to do the same for the other computers you want to connect to your network, putting an IP address close to the one your HP has, i.e: if yours is 192.168.1.10 choose 192.168.1.11 for the other and see if that does the trick. Hope this helps biggrin.gif .

P.S.: If your network IS set to use FIXED IP addresses, I would not recommend to change it to "obtain an IP address automaticaly". It problably was set for that use for a good reason and changing it may cause your network to not work any more. Bare in mind that if you have to change the others computers (your daughter's) to connect in your network, they have to be change again to "obtain an IP address automaticaly" when they leave your house to be able to connect to others networks. I hope I could make myself understandable.

This post has been edited by UruBoo: Jun 22 2012, 08:05 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Le'ah
post Jun 22 2012, 03:32 PM
Post #9

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Thanks for the suggestion... all computers are set to obtain ip address and dns server automatically.

Boy they keep burying this information deeper and deeper don't they!

This post has been edited by Le'ah: Jun 22 2012, 04:00 PM

+Quote Post
Le'ah
post Jun 22 2012, 05:13 PM
Post #10

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Heading out for dinner with daughter and family. when I get back I'm going to do a firmware update for the router...someone posted that it solved his vista problems (whatever they were). A firmware update couldn't hurt! I'll check back here when we get back from dinner. Ta!

+Quote Post
Le'ah
post Jun 22 2012, 08:52 PM
Post #11

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Well I blew it! Trying to get internet back after the update of the firmware....doggies!

+Quote Post
Le'ah
post Jun 22 2012, 11:33 PM
Post #12

Uru Guru
Group Icon

I'm back up and running now I have to reset the laptops and the printer down.gif

+Quote Post
Le'ah
post Jun 22 2012, 11:46 PM
Post #13

Uru Guru
Group Icon

now I lost internet on the acer with vista ... it was working before the router reset.

+Quote Post
Robyn
post Jun 23 2012, 12:00 AM
Post #14

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,126

If you haven't done so yet, you'll probably have to power down the ACER after the router reset, and I mean power it down "completely" by pulling the plug for at least a minute. Some computers are setup to keep power on the LAN system even when otherwise turned OFF, so it doesn't completely refresh the system unless you remove all power.

Along the same lines, people having connection problems that have a VOIP modem for their phone connection, have to disconnect the internal battery in the modem, as well as pulling the power plug, to achieve a full reset. I've had two friends recently having problems with their Comcast systems, and the Comcast techs. didn't know about this... blink.gif

--------------------
"What are we going to do today, Borg?"
"Same thing we always do, Pinkutus:
Try to assimilate the world!"
-Pinkutus & the Borg

Ad astra
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

+Quote Post
Le'ah
post Jun 23 2012, 12:10 AM
Post #15

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Thanks Robyn...but the acer was powered down...but I,ll pull the plug..does the battery need to come out too?

Didn't work down.gif

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2019 - 10:17 AM