buy antibiotics without prescription
Guild of Greeters   Suitable for Every Age   

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Disclaimer/Modification Forum Rules.

The game modification forum is for the discussion of alternate adventures in all Myst games. Use and discussion of these "patches" is not supported and does void any technical support by Ubisoft and CyanWorlds. The Guild of Greeters can not be held responsible as this forum is used at your own risk. This section is not for discussion of pirated games and/or software , but pertains more to modified game files to alter your game play experience .

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Simple Explanation For Alcugs Installation?
CAGrayWolf
post Jan 23 2006, 02:18 PM
Post #1

The Wolfmeister
Group Icon

Group: Retired Greeter
Member No.: 35

As the title says ... I'm interested in trying this out. I'm having problems though finding easy to understand directions on how to install this and have it work. I'm sure I'm not the only one here that would appreciate this. Many of the links for this topic are now invalid which do not help matters. I have also visited/registered on the Alcugs forums and again, there is no clear cut explanation on what I must do.

1. Am I allowed to install this into my Until UrU folder and log onto the primary shards? Or do I have to have a separate installation of Until UrU for this specific patch?

2. Exactly what files do I need to download and install? I have done some searching across several forums, but can not find a specific "how to" documents to follow. I can do the work/edits as needed, I just need to know EXACTLY what I am doing (don't want to guess my way through this). Exactly what files/strings/commands do I need to edit, etc.

Any other needed information would be helpful as well. Not to mention possibly a new "pinned" post stating this to avoid future confusion questions like these?

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
veralun
post Jan 23 2006, 05:21 PM
Post #2

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 774

Information about install etc you can find HERE

(Note to mod.: if this info is not allowed, please remove this)

--------------------
ô¿ô......All URU need is love!......ô¿ô

+Quote Post
CAGrayWolf
post Jan 23 2006, 08:00 PM
Post #3

The Wolfmeister
Group Icon

Thank you veralun ... this appears to be exactly what I needed. The only question remaining is if this "addition" is allowed for all the standard Until UrU shards ... Tech? Tij? Can you answer this.

Hmmm ... thinking more on this I' feel it is probably best to install another instance of Until UrU that I can then apply the Alcugs patch to thus not disrupting my primary Until UrU folder or game. An answer would still be nice though to confirm this.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kurtg1265
post Jan 23 2006, 08:09 PM
Post #4

Cactus King
Group Icon

Group: Veteran Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 93

Since UU is only ABM and Alcugs also includes TPotS, yes you need a seperate installation. wink3.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Shadowcats
post Jan 23 2006, 11:21 PM
Post #5

Wizard of Oz
Group Icon

Member No.: 409

Yup as kurtg said you need different installs/directories/folders for Normal Uu and Tpots shards Huru/Alcugs.
Alcugs won't run on a normal UU shard.
Here is a list of shards and what client you can run on them
Uru Shards
The Shards Running Alcugs are at the bottom.
Hope it helps.

--------------------
Of all the things I've lost.....
I miss my mind the most..

+Quote Post
CAGrayWolf
post Jan 24 2006, 02:18 PM
Post #6

The Wolfmeister
Group Icon

Thank you Kurt and Cats ... I'm hoping either today or tomorrow to start of this project. Will keep you informed as to my progress and/or if I require and further help. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alias
post Jan 24 2006, 07:20 PM
Post #7

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 20

I am following you on this one Wolfie... as it's been a long time since I want to try this too.

+Quote Post
CAGrayWolf
post Jan 24 2006, 09:19 PM
Post #8

The Wolfmeister
Group Icon

Well ... I have given up for the time being. I have followed the instructions ... and still not as clear as I would like ... at least for my understanding. Anyway, I couldn't get it to work and not sure what I'm supposed to be logging into since I still get the same list of shards as I do on a regular UU install. blink.gif

Totally lost and confused for the moment. confused1.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Butch
post Jan 24 2006, 09:34 PM
Post #9

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Group: Explorer
Member No.: 3,855

QUOTE (CAGrayWolf @ Jan 24 2006, 10:19 PM)
...  I still get the same list of shards as I do on a regular UU install ...

I haven't tried following the directions yet, but you may have to manually enter one of the Alcugs shards into the login panel. IIRC, you just have to enter the address of host server into the address on the login form that uu shows on startup. There were a couple of listings of server in the site with the instructions (or some of the sites they linked to)

I'm in the process of cleaning up my system to try it myself.

This is a listing of some shards. I'm sure it's not complete. I think there were other lists on the COBBS forums.
Some of the Alcugs are listed on the bottom.
I just tested with tpots.servegame.com and went to the GTP and linked to both ages.
The hints didn't show, but it was tpots.

Now I wonder if I can get my normal UU install working again.

Moderator Note

merged posts

--------------------

+Quote Post
Shadowcats
post Jan 24 2006, 11:39 PM
Post #10

Wizard of Oz
Group Icon

I already posted that list in my last post but anyway whistling.gif
Sorry Wolfie the Tpots shard need to be entered manually as Butch has said
in the Server address.
Sorry we forgot that part.

--------------------

+Quote Post
UruBoo
post Jan 25 2006, 08:38 AM
Post #11

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 61

I'd like to borrow this thread (with your permition, Wolfie smile.gif ) to ask anybody who knows about Alcugs Modified files and shards:

- What do these modified files and shards do exactly? Do they show anything new, like different ages? Or do they just let you play with alterated graphics and thinks your avatar can do and play TPOTS ages on line?

I would apreciate if anyone can explain that in a simple way innocent.gif .

Thanks for any info.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Shadowcats
post Jan 25 2006, 08:52 AM
Post #12

Wizard of Oz
Group Icon

Simple answer is they let you play Tpots on line with others doing all the ages together that are available in
The Path of the shell. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Shadowcats: Jan 25 2006, 08:53 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
UruBoo
post Jan 25 2006, 11:18 AM
Post #13

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 61

Is that all, Cats? I mean, just play TPotS on line? I was giving the impression there was more to it, like different graphics (textures and colors), more sutff your avatar could do and other things.

Well, if it's just that, I don't think I'll give it a try (look at all the trouble Wolfie is going through just to make it work biggrin.gif ).

This post has been edited by UruBoo: Jan 25 2006, 11:20 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Norfren
post Jan 30 2006, 11:48 AM
Post #14

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 59

Advice when creating a copy of an existing Uru installation:

If you want to install a second (third...) instance of TPOTS or UU for experimenting, the sound files in the new sfx folder take about 1.4 G of hard disk space, which is a huge wasting (especially if your hard disk is nearly full). The sound files are the same, so one copy of them is enough. It is possible to create a symbolic link from the 2nd Uru installation to the sfx folder of the 1st one. In other words: If you imagine that folders are rooms, then a symbolic link means that you create a second door to a room and its books are available from another place, too.

Symbolic links can be done in XP if the hard disk was formatted to use the NTFS file system (normally this is the case.) It is interesting that although the possibility of symbolic links is built into the WinXP system, no program was added to the interface to use it. However, a very simple little free utility program can do it, it is called junction and is available from here: http://www.sysinternals.com/utilities/junction.html. With this you can create two or several folders, which in fact point to the same physical parent folder.

I installed a few days ago the UruAgeManager into a second copy of TPOTS. I did the followings:

1) I created the new folder \UruSecond,

2) I copied everything from the old \Uru folder into UruSecond, except the sfx folder,

3) I run junction in a consol (dos) window:

junction d:\games\UruSecond\sfx d:\games\Uru\sfx

Now the subfolder sfx appeared in UruSecond, which physically points to the old sfx. The system sees it as a real folder, therefore the second Uru uses the sound files of the first one. I saved about 1.4 G this way.

4) Installed UruAgeManager etc.

Junction is a very handy small utility, it can help in many other cases. For example some programs open the same folder when opening or saving files and this default path cannot be changed. You keep your files in another drive or folder - so with junction you can create a direct "door" from the program's default folder to your files.

--------------------

Second Life: Norfren Zaius - WoW: Norfren at Draenor

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th December 2019 - 04:10 PM