> Not A Member But A Supporter
mark_af
post Nov 26 2007, 11:00 PM
Post #1

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Group: Explorer
Member No.: 3,941

To be clear from the outset I wish to identify myself, my other avies are notthedroids, aleinspawn and >HINTS. It is the last of these that prompts this posting. Each of my avies supports a different guild, >HINTS supported the GoG. I have not chosen to apply for membership but by and large I think the GoG does a great job. I was asked to no longer wear the green shirt for reasons I do not fully understand. So far as I know there have been no complaints about my conduct. So I would like to know what are the qualifications to be a supporter of the GoG? If there are to be restrictions on wearing a particular guilds colors I think it should be spelled out.
I have removed my green shirt and picked up another to avoid any further conflict. However I feel that this is prior restraint and regard my disqualification as a bad omen for the future of the entire guild system.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
L'lee
post Nov 27 2007, 03:17 AM
Post #2

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Guild Master (GM)
Member No.: 1,084

Could it possibly be because there was some amount of misunderstanding of intent on the part of either or both parties in your conversation? confused1.gif

I recognize the Mark_AF name from "way back when" (Prologuer here, too... wink3.gif ) but, could it possibly be because the Greeters' creed is to help people achieve success themselves with only the level of help they *truly* need so as to not diminish their ultimate solution experience, combined with your GoG support avatar's name ("HINTS") possibly causing confusion on the part of visitors to the GoG Bevin might have been construed (whether rightly or wrongly) as intending to usurp the on-duty Greeters? That seems to me like what's happened from your limited description of the event... /shrug But, I certainly wasn't there to get a first-hand "take" of the exchange, so it's purely conjecture.

We, as a Guild, certainly don't have a monopoly on helping people - we never have - but we do politely request that while anyone (supporter or not) is "on our turf" so to speak, they should respectfully abide by our policies... our basic take on "When in Rome, ..."

--------------------
When asked if my cup is half-full or half-empty my response is,
"I am thankful that I have a cup!"

+Quote Post
indy
post Nov 27 2007, 03:30 AM
Post #3

Grand Master
Group Icon

Group: Veteran Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 63

QUOTE (mark_af @ Nov 27 2007, 05:00 AM) *
So I would like to know what are the qualifications to be a supporter of the GoG? If there are to be restrictions on wearing a particular guilds colors I think it should be spelled out.

Hi Mark,

There are no written qualifications or restrictions on wearing the GoG support shirt. It is just like in RL like supporting your favorite sport team. If you like the team, agree with what they do, you wear the colors. smile.gif

We only ask from our supporters that they appreciate and agree on the way we help people. If one can not agree with that she/he should not wear the support shirt.

Like every team we do like supporters and we are happy for every explorer wearing the GoG support shirt.

--------------------

+Quote Post
budgiemom
post Nov 27 2007, 09:36 AM
Post #4

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Website Contributor (Greeter)
Member No.: 1,404

unsure.gif If I overstepped, it was due to either misunderstanding or being confused as to your purpose and policies of the GoG as stated by L'lee and Indy. I was not the only greeter questioning what was going on, but I took the lead to find out; so if anyone is upset it should be with only me not the GoG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lord Chaos
post Nov 27 2007, 03:18 PM
Post #5

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 3,876

The main thing everyone should remember in helping others is to look at the interaction from the player's point of view. A newcomer arriving in the Guild of Greeters 'hood is already on the way to being confused; at the least, they're trying to learn a lot of new things, from the meta-information of simply how to get along to the specifics of solving puzzles and figuring out why they're there. Newcomers are often overwhelmed by people PMing them, asking if they need help.

It's far kinder to let things develop as they will. Let the person settle in, say Hi to them specifically, and then tell them that if they have any questions they're free to ask.

The Guild of Greeters is the organization that is designated for helping. This doesn't mean that we have the exclusive contract. Most of us were helping other explorers long before we became formal Greeters. We are the ones who take the blame for when things go wrong, which is why we try to maintain some control in the GoG 'hood. We are responsible for what goes on there.

It also gets very busy. What with new visitors and players arriving all the time, there's a lot of pressure to help people get started. Some need hand-holding, some just need hints, and the Greeters don't have much time to decide what to do. Add to the mix a lot of volunteer helpers who have no responsibility to anyone and it's a difficult situation.

Helping can be done anywhere. I do most of my Greeting elsewhere. Hang around in the City for a few minutes and you'll meet someone who needs a hint about markers, or someone needing a Delin run or help in Ahnonay.

Helping in the GoG 'hood is a good thing. If you really want to do this, I recommend contacting one of the Greeters there after you've arrived. Ask what kind of help is most needed at the time. Wear a support shirt if you want, and work with the Greeters. The objective we have is to make the game as enjoyable for everyone as we can, which is actually quite a sophisticated and complex application of real-world psychology. Greeting is not an easy task.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tai'lahr
post Nov 27 2007, 04:57 PM
Post #6

Uru Explorer
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,317

Hey Mark, we appreciate your support, and with more and more newcomers arriving every day, it's great to have non-greeter explorers willing to assist them. It's just that the GoG has a certain way of doing things - tried and true methods that have been developed and refined over a long period of time. Greeters are well-trained and mentored before they can even submit a request for the official shirt. But, newcomers may not know there is a difference between the "earned" shirt and the supporters' shirt, so when you're wearing that shirt in the GoG Bevin, your actions reflect on the guild, and therefore, it's best to follow the lead of the greeters there. As LC said, ask how you can assist, and I'm sure there will be plenty for you to do. We appreciate your support and cooperation. Thanks! flowers.gif

+Quote Post
mark_af
post Nov 27 2007, 05:22 PM
Post #7

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Group: Explorer
Member No.: 3,941

This all very interesting and reasonable; I mean no sarcasm. I doní see how it applies to what I was doing. If there was something in my past conduct that is objectionable to the GoG please let me know what it was.

+Quote Post
CAGrayWolf
post Nov 27 2007, 06:31 PM
Post #8

The Wolfmeister
Group Icon

Group: Retired Greeter
Member No.: 35

QUOTE (mark_af @ Nov 27 2007, 02:22 PM) *
This all very interesting and reasonable; I mean no sarcasm. I doní see how it applies to what I was doing. If there was something in my past conduct that is objectionable to the GoG please let me know what it was.

Shorah Mark,

It is good to see you again. It has been quite some time since we last spoke.

Personally, I would not take any of this personally. You may or may not be aware of this, but since we have moved into MOUL, the GoG hood has had to deal with many "new explorers" that tend to cause problems and/or harassment. Many of the Greeters we have now are not always familiar with, or recognize the names of long time explorers or may not know who some are if they are using different names. We have had some trouble with certain members that have caused many of the Greeters to be more on guard than need be ... or possibly should be ... not always realizing that not all explorers are coming into the GoG hood to cause trouble.

Please (everyone) see this for what it is and let this be as an unfortunate misunderstanding on both parts ... and let's move on. As far as I'm concerned, knowing you and your history Mark with UrU, as well as being a long time supporter of GoG ... are always welcome here and in the hood. hug.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
alaina
post Nov 28 2007, 10:54 AM
Post #9

Uru Veteran
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,619

bye2.gif

I agree with Wolfie. Of course I am renowned for not rocking the boat lol. Please feel free to come by anytime.I do remember Alienspawn popping once he caused no problems that im aware of. just adding my two cents.

--------------------

You listen with your ears not your lips

+Quote Post
d'rbeh
post Nov 28 2007, 12:23 PM
Post #10

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Guild Master (GM)
Member No.: 2,050

hi mark!

wear any kind of shirt you like! this is meant to be a fun experience here! smile.gif

(just because i wear a red sox cap doesn't mean i like the manager... heh heh)

my basic "helping" philosophy is to give as ambiguous clues as possible to begin with and then progress from there depending on if the person is not getting it, or if i see they are really becoming frustrated, at which point i would simply say, "would you like a better clue"... something along those lines...

but that is my style. not everyone has the same style of greeting and helping, but i think we all pretty much agree that we should start with clues that will allow the explorer to figure out the puzzles/situations pretty much on their own.

welcome to the forums, by the way!

bye2.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
anthroanne
post Nov 28 2007, 02:28 PM
Post #11

Uru Fan
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,656

I am not sure why you were requested to remove the guild suppoter t-shirt. I welcome the opporutnity to have you in GoG with your supporter t-shirt on or whatever shirt you may have on for that matter!

--------------------
Work hard, play hard and laugh a lot!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2019 - 02:46 PM