> My First Taste Of Minkata.
chief
post May 26 2007, 05:52 AM
Post #1

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Group: Explorer
Member No.: 5,173

Went in with a friend yesterday morning. After messing with a large structure and running around in what turned out to be circles his computer went belly up and he left. 2 seconds later I was in a hole and everything got dark. Stumbling around in the dark I found the structure had undergone a major change. I touched something inside and it got light again. Then I had to go to work. Thought about it all day. I don't quite believe that the age is "mostly empty". Your avvie is going to get a workout proving that to be true.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Arion Lightseeke...
post May 26 2007, 07:29 AM
Post #2

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,140

I'll agree with you there....You run, and run, and run, run. Whew!

+Quote Post
Rex Havoc
post May 26 2007, 07:32 AM
Post #3

Retired GuildMaster
Group Icon

Group: Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 2,857

Oh, good, and I was beginning to think that Minkata was just a giant litter box! Guess I better keep wandering.

--------------------

Ki# 651166

+Quote Post
ikonius
post May 26 2007, 08:04 AM
Post #4

Uru Citizen
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,209

You guys are lucky. I still can't manage to get in. Have been having access problems ever since the Minkata update (the one after the "Scars" update, v. 5.649). I get to the 0-second part of the dark-screen update portion, then the game freezes up right before the login screen, and all I can control is my Windows cursor. I don't believe it's GameTap-related as I can run other games just fine from GT. I even tried removing and re-downloading MOUL, but am facing the same problem.

Is this the famed 0-second bug everyone's was talkinng about during beta? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

--------------------
OH freddled Gruntbuggly, stop annoying everyone with Vogon Poetryyyy (or should that be "torturing")

+Quote Post
Lord Chaos
post May 26 2007, 08:09 AM
Post #5

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 3,876

Some suggestions for Minkata:

Getting around: (Not really spoilers, but those who like to figure things out for themselves won't want to read)
Click here to view/hide a spoiler.

1. In the daylight version, you can use your shadows as guides. If you get to a place that's too dusty to see shadows, you've gone too far. smile.gif
2. You can use the suns directly.
3. Dust density is a measure of absolute location: dustier places, indicated by how hard it is to see yourself, are farther from the centre corral.
4. If it's too dusty to see shadows, you can usually still see your footprints. You can turn around and use your footprint trail to establish a reciprocal course and get back to where you started.
5. If it's too dusty to see anything (some people do push it this far) turn around and keep running. Eventually you'll come to a place where the dust gets thinner.
6. In starlight Minkata the above techniques work, but are harder to do. You hit the dust limit earlier.
7. But, you have stars and galaxies. These give you more aiming points. It's best to establish the reciprocal of any course you set before you start out. Figure out where you want to go and aim that way. Then run a few steps. Turn around and align yourself with your footprints and establish an aiming point for that course. Then turn back and run the way you need to. If you miss, turn around, pick up your reciprocal aiming point and start running.

What you're doing: (hint)
Did you notice the second book by the Minkata linking book? I didn't. Someone had to tell me. It's important.

Stronger hint:
There are five locations in the Age you need to visit. The second book shows you how to reach them.

Partial solution:
The locations are caves, analogous to the familiar Bahro caves. The book has little diagrams of waypoints that show a vector and a distance. If you walk from waypoint to waypoint you'll get to a cave. The easier way is to do vector arithmetic and come up with the final bearing and range, and go that way. Note that the compass rose is divided into 20 points, so the angles are 18 degrees.

More of the solution:
Pythagoras is your friend. Or else you can just choose a compass point and start running. At least one person did it this waay. Run until something changes. Be sure to have your sound turned on. Cast about out there until you find the cave.

My status:
That's as much as I know for sure. There's something else you need to find but I've not been successful in finding it. I think I know the principle but it's not working so either I'm in the wrong place, or my principle is wrong.

I'll add more as I learn it... or those who really know what they're doing can handle it. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Moranda
post May 26 2007, 08:25 AM
Post #6

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 64

I had this problem last night, Ikonius. This was also my first attempt to enter MOUL since Minkata opened. It updated, when I got to the first black update screen before log in, the exact same thing happened. It froze but I had a normal mouse cursor. When I tried to exit, I crashed. Tried again, same thing, tried to exit, using Alt-Tab to get to windows desktop and no go. Tried ctrl-alt-del to get to task manager and no go. Had to shut compy down manually. On 3rd try same problem.
Try # 4 presented a different problem. Game Tap decided to download MOUL in it's entirety. So I had to shut down Game Tap from the task manager.

I have contacted Game Tap support and MOUL support.

--------------------
The obvious is not always so obvious, the seen is not always seen as it is and all that is, is not necessarily seen as it should be.

+Quote Post
ikonius
post May 26 2007, 08:30 AM
Post #7

Uru Citizen
Group Icon

Me thinks I won't have much of a choice but to do the same .

The frustrating thing about this type of bug/crash is that you can't even get GTUtil to generate a proper bug report for GT Tech support.

Thanks for your coments Mo smile.gif

This post has been edited by ikonius: May 26 2007, 08:35 AM

--------------------
OH freddled Gruntbuggly, stop annoying everyone with Vogon Poetryyyy (or should that be "torturing")

+Quote Post
zymmin
post May 26 2007, 08:38 AM
Post #8

Uru Explorer
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,646

Great suggestions LC, pretty much what I thought too. My thoughts on the "guidebook"...

Distances:
I think that the numbers in the compass hints may be paces, but I am not sure if they are walking paces or running paces.

The only hitch with this teory is that there are some compass values of over 2000 which may be too many paces for the inner dustbowl area

Flags & numerical values:
I think that the first page indicates a primer of some kind (with the flags), but I am not certain about the meaning of the number 125, 625, 3125, except that 5*25=125, 5*125=625 & 5*625=3125.

Feel free to disprove me...

--------------------
Zymmin
MOULagain KI 163223
www.zymmin.com

It seems that the ending still has not been written.

+Quote Post
Lord Chaos
post May 26 2007, 02:44 PM
Post #9

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,876

I've heard a theory about the numbers:
They're said to be time. Doesn't really matter, though. Either time or distance. If you're consistent in how you go about it, you'll end up at the right place. The numbered flags are there to give you an idex: time yourself to them and then multiply that by how much farther you have to go.

I've learned a bit more about what we need to do:
The caves have to be visited in sequence. Also, you have to Relto out of the centre corral after "registering" each floating glyph.

About guidance:
There's a theory that the number of waypoints on a page corresponds with the number of stars in the constellations. My testing of this is, so far, inconclusive as I've been unable to find the second floating glyph.

I'll keep you posted.

--------------------

+Quote Post
J'iim
post May 26 2007, 03:04 PM
Post #10

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Website Contributor (Greeter)
Member No.: 4,706

QUOTE (Lord Chaos @ May 26 2007, 03:44 PM) *
I've heard a theory about the numbers:
They're said to be time. Doesn't really matter, though. Either time or distance. If you're consistent in how you go about it, you'll end up at the right place. The numbered flags are there to give you an idex: time yourself to them and then multiply that by how much farther you have to go.

Seems to me to be 1/25 of a span or about 6.4 inches/unit

I've learned a bit more about what we need to do:
The caves have to be visited in sequence. Also, you have to Relto out of the centre corral after "registering" each floating glyph.

You don't have to Relto out. Just switch back to night time, go to hole #1, and set day time there. You don't have to visit the caves in order... I didn't.

About guidance:
There's a theory that the number of waypoints on a page corresponds with the number of stars in the constellations. My testing of this is, so far, inconclusive as I've been unable to find the second floating glyph.

Ummm.... did you map out the courses on some graph paper and compare the shape of the course to the constellations?

+Quote Post
Moranda
post May 26 2007, 03:24 PM
Post #11

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 64

WOOT yay.gif My bug is fixed.............I'm in. GT is a bit slow to load the game, still, but I can put up with that.

--------------------
The obvious is not always so obvious, the seen is not always seen as it is and all that is, is not necessarily seen as it should be.

+Quote Post
ikonius
post May 26 2007, 03:30 PM
Post #12

Uru Citizen
Group Icon

Lucky you. I've just phoned GT tech support and they're aware of the problem. I've also submitted a ticket , and i'm presently downloading the standalone version through the gametap site (the MO installer). We'll see if it behaves the same way.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ikonius
post May 26 2007, 04:58 PM
Post #13

Uru Citizen
Group Icon

QUOTE (ikonius @ May 26 2007, 04:30 PM) *
Lucky you. I've just phoned GT tech support and they're aware of the problem. I've also submitted a ticket , and i'm presently downloading the standalone version through the gametap site (the MO installer). We'll see if it behaves the same way.

EDIT: Well, the standalone version works better and faster than through GameTap! So I ,m finally in as well YAY!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
jarelav
post May 26 2007, 06:00 PM
Post #14

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Website Contributor (Greeter)
Member No.: 4,899

QUOTE (ikonius @ May 26 2007, 11:58 AM) *
EDIT: Well, the standalone version works better and faster than through GameTap! So I ,m finally in as well YAY!!

Just curious, did they say that you could access MO:UL outside of Gametap?

--------------------
jarel, formerly Schlomo
MOULa KI: 00405546

+Quote Post
Yellowdog
post May 26 2007, 06:50 PM
Post #15

Uru Fan
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,057

QUOTE (jarelav @ May 26 2007, 07:00 PM) *
QUOTE (ikonius @ May 26 2007, 11:58 AM) *

Just curious, did they say that you could access MO:UL outside of Gametap?

This is how I access URU all the time. If you search for urulauncher.exe or uruexplorer.exe on your computer (Include hidden folders) you will find it. Copy a shortcut to your desktop or pin it to your start menu and you are good to go.

Your sign in and password is the same as for gametap.

PS. pat me on the back for not looking at any of the spoiler tags! clapping.gif
This is shaping out to be one hell of a puzzle!

Cheers

This post has been edited by Yellowdog: May 26 2007, 06:51 PM

--------------------
Learn to make beer at home!
www.yellowdogbrewery.com

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2019 - 07:48 AM