post May 26 2007, 07:02 PM
Post #16

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Group: Explorer
Member No.: 5,366

QUOTE (jarelav @ May 27 2007, 12:00 AM) *
QUOTE (ikonius @ May 26 2007, 11:58 AM) *
EDIT: Well, the standalone version works better and faster than through GameTap! So I ,m finally in as well YAY!!

Just curious, did they say that you could access MO:UL outside of Gametap?

Gametap customers outside the U.S.A. and Canada can only use the "standalone" version of MO-UL at present. wink3.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CAGrayWolf
post May 26 2007, 07:41 PM
Post #17

The Wolfmeister
Group Icon

Group: Retired Greeter
Member No.: 35

QUOTE (Lord Chaos @ May 26 2007, 12:44 PM) *
I've learned a bit more about what we need to do:
Click here to view/hide a spoiler.
The caves have to be visited in sequence. Also, you have to Relto out of the centre corral after "registering" each floating glyph.

No you don't ... just switch back.
Run back to hole #1 and then switch back to day.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ja'de
post May 26 2007, 07:54 PM
Post #18

Guild Master
Group Icon

Group: Admin (Admin)
Member No.: 19

Well I tried but got hopelessly lost in the Myst.

--------------------

+Quote Post
memiki
post May 26 2007, 08:10 PM
Post #19

Honorary Greeter
Group Icon

Member No.: 48

Agree Wolfie you are right.

I have always used the standalone launcher, have never used Gametap.

This post has been edited by memiki: May 26 2007, 08:17 PM

--------------------
Beta Forum Name: Granny63 now Granny70
In my heart, I will always be a Greeter, once a greeter always a greeter

+Quote Post
Rex Havoc
post May 26 2007, 09:46 PM
Post #20

Retired GuildMaster
Group Icon

Group: Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 2,857

Stand alone, here too. I don't play any of the other Gametap games, so I don't need to see the interface!

You can do this by going to your Gametap folder, then the 'Games' folder, then select folder # '140000150', finally the 'data' folder. You should find your game launcher there. (UruLauncher) I put a shortcut on my desktop to it for easy future access...

Now to go back to Minkata to try to make some sense of it, any sense!! I do have the book in my Ki...

--------------------

Ki# 651166

+Quote Post
Ja'de
post May 26 2007, 10:00 PM
Post #21

Guild Master
Group Icon

Group: Admin (Admin)
Member No.: 19

QUOTE (Rex Havoc @ May 26 2007, 10:46 PM) *
Stand alone, here too. I don't play any of the other Gametap games, so I don't need to see the interface!

You can do this by going to your Gametap folder, then the 'Games' folder, then select folder # '140000150', finally the 'data' folder. You should find your game launcher there. (UruLauncher) I put a shortcut on my desktop to it for easy future access...

Now to go back to Minkata to try to make some sense of it, any sense!! I do have the book in my Ki...

Yes you can do this but then you bypass the gametap login so gametap doesn't know that you are playing URU. Fewer numbers=less funding.

--------------------

+Quote Post
memiki
post May 26 2007, 10:06 PM
Post #22

Honorary Greeter
Group Icon

Well in my case it was a toss up. Play the game or not play it.
Going through Gametap they couldn't figure out why i couldn't do it, I had support try to help me. So that I can play it I go through the launcher since way back.

Granted it was way in the beginning, maybe I should try it again, but if something aint broke don't try to fix it.

So guess you can minus me, tho I do pay my fee every month so they are getting money from me.

This post has been edited by memiki: May 26 2007, 10:10 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ayli
post May 26 2007, 10:51 PM
Post #23

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Guild Master (GM)
Member No.: 7

Just to repeat what Ja'de said.

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT
to play Uru through GameTap (for those who subscribe to it) as the numbers of how many play the game are counted that way. So if you want to make a difference and see Uru continue to survive, every log-in counts.

I understand, if there are issues and there is no other way to get to Uru... but please try to resolve that issue by submitting a ticket.

--------------------

+Quote Post
kurtg1265
post May 26 2007, 11:58 PM
Post #24

Cactus King
Group Icon

Group: Veteran Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 93

Per GD in a chatlog with him HERE it doesnt matter if you go through GT or not. Cyan will still get their numbers.

(05/02 17:32:42) Thanakar: GD, does using the direct launcher screw the numbers up for Cyan?
(05/02 17:33:32) Greydragon: Thanakar , well using gametap helps gametap see that you are interesting in uru
(05/02 17:33:46) Marcello: thanakar or the othere way around.... does the Gametap client do that wink3.gif
(05/02 17:34:06) Greydragon: We get the #s either way.. lol
(05/02 17:34:20) petfam: good to know GD thx

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rocky
post May 27 2007, 12:22 AM
Post #25

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
From: Atlanta , Ga.... U.S.A. (in the "Berbs",by the Lake)
Member No.: 36

QUOTE (kurtg1265 @ May 27 2007, 12:58 AM) *
Per GD in a chatlog with him HERE it doesnt matter if you go through GT or not. Cyan will still get their numbers.
(05/02 17:32:42) Thanakar: GD, does using the direct launcher screw the numbers up for Cyan?
(05/02 17:33:32) Greydragon: Thanakar , well using gametap helps gametap see that you are interesting in uru
(05/02 17:33:46) Marcello: thanakar or the othere way around.... does the Gametap client do that wink3.gif
(05/02 17:34:06) Greydragon: We get the #s either way.. lol
(05/02 17:34:20) petfam: good to know GD thx

[center]I was told by a Gametap Tech...
After you Select you Avatar, then the game is passed on to Cyan's Servers
(from a trouble phone call... as I was not getting into the game after the Avie screen)

That says to me that starting up... is through Gametap, the rest is through Cyan

kicking.gif

This post has been edited by Rocky: May 27 2007, 12:31 AM

--------------------

The Un-Offical Cat Herder

click here for info about cat herders

+Quote Post
Tehanu
post May 27 2007, 02:11 AM
Post #26

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,444

worship.gif yay for GameTap we have to keep Myst Online going!

maybe they should do a poll? or maybe we should? confused1.gif

About Minkata: It is great fun and lots of getting lost running around and experimenting. I have found that it is better with multiple people because you can use one another as reference and widen your search area biggrin.gif

I think we should have a big hide and seek game!!!! clapping.gif

+Quote Post
memiki
post May 27 2007, 07:47 AM
Post #27

Honorary Greeter
Group Icon

Thank you Kurt that is great to know. Now I don't feel so bad. Considering this is the the only way I could play.

Jade and Ayli, I did talk personally to a GameTap support person and I was told they could not figure it out and to use the launcher instead, infact he is the one that helped me do it.

So wether or not it is IMPORTANT as you say Ayli or not. It is the only way I could enter the game. So it was my choice.

Big Granny Hugsss to Kurt for making me feel better about using the launcher.

This post has been edited by memiki: May 27 2007, 08:03 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lord Chaos
post May 27 2007, 07:49 AM
Post #28

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 3,876

About going through Gametap: I don't. I have a 50/50 chance of crashing every time I run Gametap. Add to that the likelihood of crashing once I get into Uru and the result is I would never play. Through Urulauncher I at least have a good chance of making it, and if I do crash it only takes a minute or so to get back. For those who have crash trouble, consider these:
1. After I've played the game and quit normally, I often crash going in the next time. Restarting the computer helps... and is sometimes essential.
2. Doing a disk cleanup on the system drive helps.
3. Going to the Task Manager and quitting tasks that I don't need also seems to help.
4. Defragmenting the system volume occasionally, even when Windows says it doesn't need to be done, seems to help.
5. RegscrubXP has been recommended, and I've used it, but I'm not sure it really helps me.

About Gametap's numbers: If they're really interested in providing money to Cyan... why is Cyan still running with a skeleton crew? I don't buy this one. I heard one time that all Gametap provides is a place for the game; Cyan gets no money from them. I'm not sure that's true, but practice seems to bear this out.

About Minkata and Wolfie's note...
I tried a couple of times going back to night rather than linking out after getting the first glyph, but it never registered. I'd come back into the Age and see no glowing zig-zag. If I link out from the daylight corral and then come back, I still have the glowing zig-zag there. It could very well be that I ws making other mistakes...

About Minkata with a group:
I had some friends over last night, hanging out in Minkata. Some knew how to play, so they were going around to the caves. The floating glyph goes all the way to the centre corral! People were standing there when it sailed in and then went poof. Later on I raced it from one of the caves, and found that it goes about 1.5 times faster than an avvie can run.

We also weren't fully registering caves. The result was that the constellations sort of got messed up, overlaying each other. Made navigation a bit harder.

Minkata is really the best puzzle I've run into in a long time. Very subtle spoiler, more like operational philosophy:
The clues are all there, folks. You just use classic Myst skills: pay attention and notice the details, and think about how they fit. Also, the Age is very stable for me. I have never crashed out of it, even when just standing there for a long time while figuring things out. One sentence summary for how to work Minkata: "Why is this here?" smile.gif In an echo of Riven, there's even more than one say to solve the problem.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rex Havoc
post May 27 2007, 07:57 AM
Post #29

Retired GuildMaster
Group Icon

Group: Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 2,857

Thank you for finding that, Kurt. This was discussed when GT started and it seems some have forgotten what we were told... One is still 'going through' GT when signing on the way I described, one uses their GT log-in to still access Uru and it still counts.

--------------------

Ki# 651166

+Quote Post
ikonius
post May 27 2007, 08:09 AM
Post #30

Uru Citizen
Group Icon

Member No.: 3,209

Lord Chaos: I've finally managed to go through Urulauncher as well , per GT tech support's instructions, and have been running it this way ever since, and all is going well so far. If also find that Uru is running a lot smoother.

As for the crashes, mine got so bad (compy crashed 100% of the time) that I could never get GTUtil to generate a proper diagnostic as I always needed to restart my compy. So no data was ever available for the GT techs to look at. Add to this that every single application in my task manager was unresponsive.

GD's comment: I'm relieved that Cyan still gets the numbers either way.

--------------------
OH freddled Gruntbuggly, stop annoying everyone with Vogon Poetryyyy (or should that be "torturing")

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2019 - 07:49 AM