buy antibiotics without prescription
Guild of Greeters   Suitable for Every Age   

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Myst, Home Or Getaway?, Is MYST isla Atrus and Catherins home or just a getaway?
master neo
post Jun 26 2006, 05:06 PM
Post #1

Uru Explorer
Group Icon

Group: Explorer
Member No.: 3,911

It came to me today when I was driving to the bank, if in the book of atrus Ti'anna wrote Myst in the thought that it would be a home for atrus and Catherin then why oh why is there no sing of living quarters?
My thought is that After the events of Myst that Atrus and Catherin desided to live in tomona(if I spelled that right).

I would like your views on this subject.

This post has been edited by master neo: Jun 26 2006, 05:07 PM

--------------------
I gave up on signatures a long time ago...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CAGrayWolf
post Jun 26 2006, 07:37 PM
Post #2

The Wolfmeister
Group Icon

Group: Retired Greeter
Member No.: 35

Well .... actually there are living quarters on Myst Island located under the cabin and accessed via the Tree Elevator to a secret chamber and are described (I believe) in the Book of Ti'ana. Now, the reason we never saw any of this is because the Myst Island we visit in the game is a smaller scaled down version of the original Myst Island.

This topic is not is nothing new and that hasn't been discussed in severe detail over the years. All this was confirmed by Richard Watson (RAWA) and stated that Cyan used a smaller version of the Island and only incorporated the necessity in details to make the game playable, leaving out the (what was considered) unnecessary details such as the living questers and a few other details ... which I'm forgetting offhand at the moment.

--------------------

+Quote Post
master neo
post Jun 26 2006, 09:24 PM
Post #3

Uru Explorer
Group Icon

Well I must say nice save for Cyan. But I took a look at the book of ti'anna and there was no Tree elovator then. it says that there was just a cabin. but I think that the cabin was there live space and then later became the bolier room. I have my speculations on it I just would like to get your guys views on it. but it's still a nice save for cyan of corce the real reason for the isla in the game not having the apropreat stuff was because they had not developed the plot very much at this point.

This post has been edited by master neo: Jun 26 2006, 09:26 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ayli
post Jun 26 2006, 10:07 PM
Post #4

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Guild Master (GM)
Member No.: 7

Well, have you seen any bathrooms around? shock.gif I guess there might be some bathroom Ages we are not aware of shock.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
dadguy
post Jun 26 2006, 10:38 PM
Post #5

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 28

Maybe a head on the ship???

Dadguy

+Quote Post
racegirl
post Jun 27 2006, 12:49 AM
Post #6

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Retired Greeter
Member No.: 1,608

Are you REALLY sure that's a fountain in the middle?? whistling.gif

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity.....
......I enjoy it!

+Quote Post
master neo
post Jun 27 2006, 02:15 AM
Post #7

Uru Explorer
Group Icon

Well lets not think about what he was thinking. and since the fountain dose not run I would think that he dose not have indoor plumbing. maby one of the burned books was the "bathroom age". EAGAD! What did he do when nature called?! Oh the agony! the agony!

--------------------

+Quote Post
barbossa
post Nov 16 2006, 01:20 AM
Post #8

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,550

Thats an easy one, The cabin. And for the bathroom.. was i the only one that noticed the trees =P

This post has been edited by barbossa: Nov 16 2006, 01:22 AM

--------------------
May the cabbage be with you

+Quote Post
Michi
post Nov 27 2007, 11:14 PM
Post #9

Uru Explorer
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,761

Once in a while I read (or hear) something that references a MYST novel. I have one of the books, though I must admit I have bought many books in the time that I have owned the MYST one and I have yet to read it (I think it is the Ti'Ana book that I have). Anyhoo, I have not seen any thread for discussion of the books. Nor have I heard of an In Cavern book club which kind of surprises me. Do either of these exist and I just haven't come across them (it)?

Anyhoo-At some point I will read that book. I understand that the layout of Myst Island as described in the novel is quite different and that information alone has helped to peek my interest.

--------------------
Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really. ~Agnes Sligh Turnbull
We long for an affection altogether ignorant of our faults. Heaven has accorded this to us in the uncritical canine attachment. ~George Eliot

+Quote Post
Piran
post Nov 28 2007, 02:34 PM
Post #10

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,045

Hello Michi! bye2.gif
I know there are threads around here discussing the books. Searching can sometimes be challenging. unsure.gif

If you go to "General Off Topic & Community Discussion", then "General Off Topic Discussion", there is a thread there entitled "Myst Reader". You may find what you are looking for there, as it is a discussion of all the Myst books, the first three of which have now been published all together.

I thoroughly enjoyed the first three books. I have yet to read the fourth.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
anthroanne
post Nov 28 2007, 03:07 PM
Post #11

Uru Fan
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,656

well just an interesting aside. Today in GoG a player stated that he had received a small file called "Atrus" in his update... hmm maybe related to Myst then?

--------------------
Work hard, play hard and laugh a lot!

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Nov 28 2007, 04:42 PM
Post #12

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Website Contributor (Greeter)
Member No.: 4,706

The texture files I have for Atrus are dated 3/25/07. I saw nothing new today. However the last time I logged in, I got the never-ending spinning circle so I CAD'd out and started over. When I got to Relto, the door was closed and the window shades lowered which is not the state I left them in. It's possible there was some kind of mini update or bug fix but I have received no new files since 10/25/07.

+Quote Post
L'lee
post Nov 29 2007, 09:31 AM
Post #13

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Guild Master (GM)
Member No.: 1,084

Michi, having read all three MYST novels, I can tell you that there is a great deal of richness to the series storyline and history that you would be missing if you never read the books... They are all a good read! If you have difficulty finding them from a first-hand source, you might be able to find the ones you are missing at a reseller... you'd just have to look often because many of us MYST fans keep the books once we get them... wink3.gif

QUOTE (Piran @ Nov 28 2007, 01:34 PM) *
I thoroughly enjoyed the first three books. I have yet to read the fourth.

And the reason you haven't read the fourth is that it's been on the "back burner" almost since the title of it was announced... wink3.gif Any time Cyan is asked about Book of Marrim, they say what amounts to, "Do you want the next MYST book or content for MOUL? We don't have the time/staff to do both."

--------------------
When asked if my cup is half-full or half-empty my response is,
"I am thankful that I have a cup!"

+Quote Post
budgiemom
post Nov 29 2007, 10:33 AM
Post #14

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Website Contributor (Greeter)
Member No.: 1,404

bye2.gif Hi, michi
In reading this thread, I saw your comment about In Cavern book club! There is one!!!!! They have been doing out loud reading of all the Myst books...I don't know where they are now reading-wise; but it meets once a week. Check your URU newsletter in your KI (if the Cavern Criers have delivered you a copy--Recurring Events or Current Events) or ask greeter Kimmie, who never misses a Reading. I think there is also a bevin dedicated to this.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Michi
post Nov 29 2007, 08:31 PM
Post #15

Uru Explorer
Group Icon

Member No.: 5,761

Thank you Piran and Budgie. I'll look into those.
I remember a few weeks ago, I found a bevin (don't remember which one) and many people were sitting around listening to someone speak. I wasn't sure if it was fan-fiction or from a book, but as I found it on a fluke that day and came-in well into the session I was not following anything. If that was it, I' will need to 'catch up'. And, of course, find out where (and when) I was! shock.gif

--------------------
Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really. ~Agnes Sligh Turnbull
We long for an affection altogether ignorant of our faults. Heaven has accorded this to us in the uncritical canine attachment. ~George Eliot

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th December 2019 - 05:15 AM