buy antibiotics without prescription
Guild of Greeters   Suitable for Every Age   

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Story Of The Great Tree Continues, Episode Two - "You Should Hear" Realeased!
Professor Askew
post Nov 10 2006, 09:19 AM
Post #1

Uru Visitor
Group Icon

Group: Explorer
Member No.: 380

The Story of The Great Tree continues!

At the end of 2003 Phil Henderson made his presence known once again in the garden Age of Eder Kemo. He was very interested in speaking with certain members of the D'ni Restoration Council.....and they were eager to speak with him as well. A brief encounter with Victor Laxman wouldn't add up to much and a frustrated DRC would be forced to wait another day to learn what happened to Phil during his year-long absence. But, frustration was not an emotion exclusive to the DRC. Many Explorers...well, we'll let you see for yourself.

Sit back, relax, and enjoy Episode Two: "You Need To Hear".
Currently, only the English version is available but other languages are soon to follow.

This post has been edited by Professor Askew: Nov 10 2006, 09:19 AM

--------------------
Professor Askew - D'mala KI # 72859
Executive Director of Research & Development - Verity Corp
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Member of The Great Tree...
In search of Phil Henderson...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ayli
post Nov 10 2006, 11:36 AM
Post #2

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Guild Master (GM)
Member No.: 7

Well done team!! thumbsup.gif This project will introduce new explores to the story and lore of Prologue smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
dadguy
post Nov 10 2006, 06:03 PM
Post #3

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 28

These are really well done. Nice music and a story that you can follow. Brings back memories.

I am really looking forward to the next!

Dadguy

+Quote Post
Li'Sah
post Nov 10 2006, 11:25 PM
Post #4

Uru Explorer
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,897

I am really enjoying these episodes!!! I can hardly wait for the next one. clapping.gif

--------------------
Li'Sah
The Quantum Columbus Neighborhood
Real Training for Real Linking

+Quote Post
IBnetweasel
post Nov 11 2006, 07:04 AM
Post #5

Proud Papa
Group Icon

Member No.: 734

More excellence. Well done Prof. Askew, Marten, and team!

These really are great. I joined prologue kinda late, and I never really knew about the story behind most of it, so these are really helpful!

IB

--------------------
Let your mind open and follow what your heart desires. Look to the stars, explore your surroundings, and let yourself go.
Life is a journey...make your path!

+Quote Post
D'anak
post Nov 12 2006, 10:55 PM
Post #6

Honorary Grand Pooh Bear
Group Icon

Member No.: 254

worship.gif These are so cool worship.gif

They do bring back great memories.

...What I'm wondering is.... Should we start new explorers out when they have to learn a back-story... or should we (as old-timers) be patient while other's catch up. In other words, we let Cyan do it all over again.

There will be natural fluctuations in the story line, but when I have joined games in the past... where I felt I was soooo far behind the story line.... I lost interest because there was too much work to do.... to even get behind.
Let us not forget that this game has never gone public the way it is about to do. We are but a few thousand....

The phenomena that we are hoping for requires tens of thousands of new explorers.... Many of whom will be just clicking around Gametap and thinking... "Hmmm, I thought Myst was fun,..back in the day,.... maybe I'll click here... They are then faced, with an huge download, just to start the game... once they get in... they are faced with long update times.... Now,... Provided their system is up to par,... they may get to their Relto... then they will do one of a few things,... ALL of which will require more download time ("and I haven't even played the game yet").... Now they realize that they are so far behind (as the story line still progresses to satisfy the base group)... that I am concerned that it is too much for any average on-line player.

I feel we need a big ol' gnarly disclaimer... Right up front!
Telling explorers that there will be very long download times required to get the game running, but tell them why?!?... Explain to them, through a slide show, while the game is loading, WHY they should be patient... praise the graphics as being the reason they should be willing to wait... make sure we promise them what they will receive, but be up-front about the time it may take. Truth in advertising is what would make me trust us.

I digress, (and I would encourage the Mods to re-locate this if they see fit....)
But my related "point" is that.... if we are going to assault newbies with a cavern that has so much history to be learned before they ever get there,.... that these videos should be available directly through some sort of Urulive link. thumbsup.gif

This is hugely important to me as a fan (the best way to attract new people), because if we can't make it work this time...

I would really like to see a new thread devoted solely to what we think would be best for others... as opposed to what we want.

+Quote Post
Marten
post Nov 13 2006, 08:18 PM
Post #7

Uru Explorer
Group Icon

Member No.: 4,273

Shorah, all. As the chief Producer on this project, I'd like to clarify my position on the making of these videos.

The Great Tree is making the Prologue Documentaries as a way to inform new explorers, and remind old ones, of the events and lessons learned from the cavern in 2003. My personal perspective is that one of Yeesha's strongest lessons is that we must understand the mistakes of the past in order to avoid making the same mistakes in the future. Our videos serve to amuse... and to educate.

*takes his pith helmet off, and steps out of character*

But know this also: For new explorers joining Uru, these videos are not required viewing material. Cyan has promised that the story we're beginning in December will not rely upon knowledge of events in 2003. The story is being "rebooted", so to speak - it is a new story, and it may reuse some elements of the old one... but Cyan will not attempt to continue the original story. Rumor is that Douglas Sharper won't even return at all; apparently he has moved on to new endeavors. If this rumor is true, I am sure he will be missed by some... and not missed at all by many wink3.gif

The new Uru Live will have a new opening movie to introduce players to the current situation in the cavern. And, as Live advances through the story, Cyan will have the option of updating the opening movie so that new players are not lost. There is no need to overwhelm new players with a lot of backstory. In fact, many players may simply not care... and that is fine! The curious ones will ask questions. They will dig deeper... and, I believe, they will be rewarded more richly. smile.gif

D'anak, your suggestions are good ones and you should direct those ideas to Cyan on their forums in the "Suggestions" forum, when the Uru Live forums return later this week (hopefully on Wednesday). I'm glad you are enjoying the Great Tree videos so far.

Stay tuned because Episode 3 is not far away...

This post has been edited by Marten: Nov 13 2006, 08:29 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
D'anak
post Nov 13 2006, 10:00 PM
Post #8

Honorary Grand Pooh Bear
Group Icon

Member No.: 254

smile.gif Thank You Marten,

....for so much good information...

I guess we are on a good track for launch thumbsup.gif

... I will take your advice and try to elaborate on my vision for capturing the new players in the URULIVE forums when they re-open.

...I can't wait for the next episode... You and your team are helping to bring my excitement level even higher by bringing us back to the story as we knew it...

Keep up the awesome work!!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th July 2019 - 04:40 AM