> Realmyst On Vista
J'iim
post Mar 13 2008, 06:44 PM
Post #1

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Website Contributor (Greeter)
Member No.: 4,706

Well, after giving it just one more try, I finally was able to get realMYST to run on Vista.

I did 3 things but I'm not sure what actually made the difference from my previous failed attempts to get it to work.

I loaded the game (complete) from the CD and then:

1) I browsed the CD and ran the dx7 setup (even though I have dx9 installed on the system already)
2) I searched the web and downloaded and installed the codec for Intel Indeo 5.11. (I have 1.2, 3.2, 4.5 and 5.1 installed or IYUV,IV32,IV41 and IV50)
3) I set the compatability mode to Windows XP SP2.

Runs on Windows Vista Business Edition. No other version of Vista tested.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Mar 14 2008, 06:02 AM
Post #2

Uru Guru
Group Icon

NVM... ranting.gif Today the program will NOT run. It ran yesterday several times but today it will no longer start. I no longer get the error message but the game crashes back to desktop just after the screen res changes as it is about to run the opening video. Still trying to figure out what the problem might be.

edit: Application log error is "The Desktop Window Manager was unable to start because composition was disabled by a running application".

Apparently realMYST itself is the problem... I found this application log entry... "A request to disable the Desktop Window Manager was made by process (REALMYST.ICD)" Apparently Vista does not like being told to go take a nap while a program runs.

This post has been edited by J'iim: Mar 14 2008, 06:23 AM

+Quote Post
Rex Havoc
post Mar 17 2008, 01:50 PM
Post #3

Retired GuildMaster
Group Icon

Group: Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 2,857

J'iim, have you tried downloading it from GameTap? Even though I fully intended to buy a copy of RealMyst, I waited too long and now can't... However, I have downloaded it from GameTap, onto my notebook which is running Vista Home Premium. If my little brain can remember, I'll try it tonight, when I get home, and see if it works, or not.

--------------------

Ki# 651166

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Mar 17 2008, 06:08 PM
Post #4

Uru Guru
Group Icon

QUOTE (Rex Havoc @ Mar 17 2008, 01:50 PM) *
J'iim, have you tried downloading it from GameTap? Even though I fully intended to buy a copy of RealMyst, I waited too long and now can't... However, I have downloaded it from GameTap, onto my notebook which is running Vista Home Premium. If my little brain can remember, I'll try it tonight, when I get home, and see if it works, or not.

The GT version does run but is full of video dropouts and other artifacts. I just tried to load it on Vista Home Premium but the same errors prevent it from starting. If all else fails I can build a Win98 disk just to run it. I only need a clean stable version for screenies for a future walkthrough for realMYST in the same style as our MOUL walkthroughs.

The error is caused by realMYST trying to stop the Windows Desktop Manager service and then restarting it in an incompatible mode for Vista. Why it ran that one time is beyond me but it was really beautiful. I have been to Rime in the GT version. I could not see how set the color depth correctly but I didn't look that hard to find it. There is a utility program you can run in the CD version. It comes up in the 16 bit mode which makes the sky in Rime look really bad. I will figure out some way to get my CD to work on some version of windows.

+Quote Post
Rex Havoc
post Mar 17 2008, 07:47 PM
Post #5

Retired GuildMaster
Group Icon

Group: Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 2,857

I just loaded it from GT and I see what you mean about artifacts. Boy did it ever start a memory lane sort of experience! To think, that is where we all started! We truly have come a long way! It does seem to work, though. Since my 'main' computer does have XP on it, I might check e-Bay out but last time I did, the game was over priced (IMO) so I didn't go much further. *sigh*

--------------------

Ki# 651166

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Mar 18 2008, 09:53 AM
Post #6

Uru Guru
Group Icon

BTW, the shortcut to get to the end of the original 4 Ages still works. I jumped right the end of the original part, got the info to get to Rime, and took off to visit there. I was surprised that they never fixed that exploit.

edit: fixed double post... the forum was lagging just a bit for me (will lag never leave me alone!)

This post has been edited by J'iim: Mar 18 2008, 09:54 AM

+Quote Post
J'iim
post Mar 19 2008, 11:19 AM
Post #7

Uru Guru
Group Icon

I got realMYST to start once again on Vista by jiggling the permissions but it must have been another fluke because it would not start the second time I tried. The default Vista permissions are a nightmare with cascading sets of inherited settings. I can't even set certain attributes wthout Vista changing them back. Now that I have totally hosed up the security on my system, I am going back and making sure everything still runs. LOL, I have the security settings of Win 3.1 now.. everything wide open to anyone on my D: drive. And I thought the permissions I had to learn for W2K Server were complicated. laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 03:18 AM