buy antibiotics without prescription
Guild of Greeters   Suitable for Every Age   

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Myst IV Revelation requirements?, someone help me?
JoSmiley
post Jun 12 2004, 11:10 AM
Post #1

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Explorer
Member No.: 23

Okay, I know somewhere we had a topic discussing what you need for playing Myst IV - and I remember one of the things is a DVD player. I still need to get that before I can play but I can't find that thread discussing it.

Can someone tell me what DVD player to get? I'm going to replace the CD drive with a DVD/CD drive - but I don't know what kind/brand/speed etc. is good for this game. I'd like it to work well, but I also don't want to spend top dollar - don't have the money. Can someone just "point" me to the right one to buy please? I'm stupid with these things... blink.gif

--------------------
JoSmiley KI: 05056421 - Jo's alternate player Fluffy Picklesniffer (um...) KI: 07141921
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CAGrayWolf
post Jun 12 2004, 11:40 AM
Post #2

The Wolfmeister
Group Icon

Group: Retired Greeter
Member No.: 35

I bought the

Artec 16X DVD-Read 48X CD-Read DVD-ROM drive

More of a generic brand but have been very happy with it. I think most drives are pretty standard and only actually manufactured by a few companies then with what ever "selling" brand name added to the box. I paid $49.99 for mine with a $10 off coupon ... but you can probably find one for less. BestBuy would probably be you best choice but shop around ... TigerDirect.com has them fairly cheap as well ... but if you buy online be sure to check shipping charges for sometimes it is still cheaper to drive to say BestBuy then have it shipped.

--------------------

+Quote Post
JoSmiley
post Jun 12 2004, 12:09 PM
Post #3

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Thanks Wolfie! hug.gif I found that one at TigerDirect for $39.99 - sounds like a deal to me! biggrin.gif That's what I'll get! Whee! Stay tuned for the "Jo inside the computer story" coming to a forum near you later this summer. roll.gif

--------------------
JoSmiley KI: 05056421 - Jo's alternate player Fluffy Picklesniffer (um...) KI: 07141921

+Quote Post
CAGrayWolf
post Jun 12 2004, 12:32 PM
Post #4

The Wolfmeister
Group Icon

QUOTE (JoSmiley @ Jun 12 2004, 10:09 AM)
Stay tuned for the "Jo inside the computer story" coming to a forum near you later this summer.  roll.gif

Really Really Really needs a *shaking head* smilie ... or a specific *clutz* smilie just for JoJo.

Be careful JoJo. hug.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JoSmiley
post Jun 12 2004, 01:33 PM
Post #5

Uru Guru
Group Icon

zzzzzZZZZAP! huh? blink.gif roll.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JoSmiley
post Jun 12 2004, 04:03 PM
Post #6

Uru Guru
Group Icon

biggrin.gif Well, I wanted to buy from Amazon cuz the TigerDirect charges a high shipping price - like you told me they would - and so I went looking on Amazon, found one pretty close to it but not exact....so I kinda hemmed & hawed...looked closer at my computer and realized I have an empty bay... shock.gif Oh, goody! So I changed plans and bought a plain DVD drive and it also DVD writes - don't know if I need that, but it has a bit faster speed, and the price was only 10 dollars more...and because I grouped it with my preorder that I have sitting there, I was able to get free shipping! Yay! biggrin.gif June 24 ship date...so look for a first week in July story of how Jo zaps herself inside the innards of her computer.... whistling.gif
hug.gif (((Wolfie))) thanks for the help!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dragonball161
post Jun 12 2004, 04:46 PM
Post #7

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 491

QUOTE (JoSmiley @ Jun 12 2004, 09:03 PM)
... June 24 ship date...so look for a first week in July story of how Jo zaps herself inside the innards of her computer.... whistling.gif

*sets up camcorder to film it*

I'm all set! bleh.gif

I told Dad he needed to upgrade his machine by September. So he has ordered all the parts, even a new case. He just needs a good motherboard. The reason he ins't just getting a DVD drive? The parts he has currenetly are at that point where they are good and still work, but can't be upgraded any further because the change of tech. So... He's making a new machine. And it will be faster than mine. down.gif Oh well... mine has been the fastest in the house for a couple years.

ANYHOO! Good luck JO! biggrin.gif

--------------------
~ Little Dragon
AKA: Danie

+Quote Post
racegirl
post Jun 12 2004, 04:48 PM
Post #8

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,608

Good one Jo - now you'll be able to put The Tree onto DVD when you've finished writing it for distribution!!! wink3.gif

Speaking of Myst IV Revelation requirements, does anyone know what system requirements are needed? I have just had my computer rebuilt for Uru (bigger, stronger, faster) - do I need to do it again? unsure.gif

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity.....
......I enjoy it!

+Quote Post
Dragonball161
post Jun 12 2004, 04:52 PM
Post #9

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Group: Greeter (Greeter)
Member No.: 491

Go to the Revelation site, it should be there. Or Wolfie might have it somewhere. He'll be back in a bit... I don't want to look it up now.

But if it could play URU and you have a DVD drive, it SHOULD work... rolleyes.gif

--------------------
~ Little Dragon
AKA: Danie

+Quote Post
JoSmiley
post Jun 12 2004, 05:22 PM
Post #10

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Yeah, as far as I remember, if you have all the requirements to play Uru, then the only other thing you need is a DVD drive. I think.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CAGrayWolf
post Jun 12 2004, 07:05 PM
Post #11

The Wolfmeister
Group Icon

The system requirements are not much higher than Exile. If I can remember where they are I will post them ... should have them posted anyway.

--------------------

+Quote Post
racegirl
post Jun 12 2004, 07:56 PM
Post #12

Uru Guru
Group Icon

Member No.: 1,608

That's great - I upgraded my CD-ROM to a CD/DVD drive about a year ago. So - just waiting, waiting, waiting to get my hands on it.......................

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity.....
......I enjoy it!

+Quote Post
Ja'de
post Jun 12 2004, 08:52 PM
Post #13

Guild Master
Group Icon

Group: Admin (Admin)
Member No.: 19

Jo If you're planning on adding a third cd or dvd player, I hope you only have 1 hard drive. Most pc's only have 4 Ide connections and if you have 2 cd's and a hard drive, you've already used 3. Or am I mistaken that you have 2 cd's?

--------------------

+Quote Post
JoSmiley
post Jun 12 2004, 09:21 PM
Post #14

Uru Guru
Group Icon

I have one hard drive...not partitioned...and one cd player, and one cd writer. Then an empty bay. So is a third player too much for the machine?

--------------------

+Quote Post
kurtg1265
post Jun 12 2004, 09:39 PM
Post #15

Cactus King
Group Icon

Group: Veteran Moderator (Mod)
Member No.: 93

Well it could be done , but I would suggest keeping the other spot on the hard drive cable for another hard drive . If you are getting a DVD burner , I would really suggest just swapping out the CD burner as the DVD burner will also burn CDs too . You can still use all your CD-Rs and RWs you have laying around before going out and buying the more expensive DVD-R and RWs .

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th July 2020 - 04:38 AM