Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got Uru...but! Need Tech Help....ouch!
Guild of Greeters > Ages of Myst (including all Myst games and related media) > Technical Help & Issues > URU Technical Issues & Questions
snowyte
Sorry folks, I have no idea where to post this, but ...I did find a CD/ROM of the Uru Chronicles. (yey!...addiciton saved.. smile.gif ) It was all by itself in the corner of a nearby shop. I want to play so badly that I grabbed it and went home and installed it. But it doesn't seem to be playing correctly. And I am pretty new to computers anyway, so I have no idea what to do. If you all could help I would be so happy.

Anyway....I start to play, noticing that when I drag my mouse into the corner just a faint shadow of two tabs comes up. I can't see what they are at all. Clicking on one ends the game, and the other brings up some sort of menu box. But the box is a beige blur with tiny black pixels in squares that don't really say anything. So I am not able to choose anything.

Ignoring this problem (ha!..I am so addicted!...) I get thru the to finding the seven cloths and open the door on the tree. I get down the ladder inside the tree, turn around and start forward...and the thing crashes! confused1.gif I even shut down some running programs and changed the graphics settings to there lowest mark, but nothing changed.

Boooohooo!!! I finally have 2 days off (a miracle!..) and I thought I could play a bit. Now I am so disappointed.

I have a new Dell PC, Dimension E310...with the Media Center. It should be fine. Maybe I need a DVD...?
End of Ages played just fine.

Oh darn...

--snowyte--
Ja'de
I just checked the specs on this system. The video is
Integrated Intel® Extreme Graphics 2 I suspect this is the problem but am not sure if there is a resolution. But I'm looking. Maybe someone will beat me to it.

Found this on UBI
Question
I am not seeing any menu text in the game. I also have some graphical corruptions and random crashing within the game.
Answer
These problems have been attributed to a conflict between Intel graphics controllers and DirectX 9.0c. The game is designed to work with some Intel Graphics controllers, but others have trouble rendering all of the graphics properly.

It may be possible for Intel to address this issue in an upcoming driver release (http://www.intel.com), or it may be addressed by the next version of DirectX (http://www.microsoft.com/directx).
Ayli
down.gif Sorry to hear you are having problems snowyte down.gif

Anything integrated in the computer is not really a good thing for the gamer down.gif Dedicated video card is something that would work, the thing is, I don't even know that your computer can handle a separate video card.

Although AoE played fine on your computer and it is newer game than Uru: Complete Chronicles, the latter required more video juice as it is also renders your avatar, which AoE doesn't have. There is much more data to crunch for the video in Uru.
budgiemom
down.gif Awww, sorry to hear about your problem...I too have a Dell, etc. etc. almost the same as you and yup, many of the same problems. I had to go get a separate video card. Check the slots inside the case, cuz I had limited space....an Invidia (sp) card would NOT fit---the case was NOT large enough by about 1/4 inch. I had to get an atiRadeon instead...it works great. Good Luck!!! hope to see you soon!
Rex Havoc
The only thing I could suggest is to see if there are any newer drivers for that video chip set. I have been lucky as my note book plays UU fine where my work computer shock.gif does not. My avie is just a black shadow and I have invisible linking books on Relto!!
snowyte
Oh my, you all *are* quick! Thanks for all the info. I will see what I can do. I may be gamesless for a bit.....ack, what a painful thought. down.gif

Budgie, is that added video card a major expense?

Thanks so much for the quick replies,
--snowyte--

QUOTE (Ayli @ Apr 24 2006, 12:56 PM) *
down.gif Sorry to hear you are having problems snowyte down.gif

Anything integrated in the computer is not really a good thing for the gamer down.gif Dedicated video card is something that would work, the thing is, I don't even know that your computer can handle a separate video card.

Although AoE played fine on your computer and it is newer game than Uru: Complete Chronicles, the latter required more video juice as it is also renders your avatar, which AoE doesn't have. There is much more data to crunch for the video in Uru.

BTW....I must say, I am not fond of the avatar thing. I 'm not very interested in mastering this aspect of the game. I like playing in first person better as it seems I can explore more. The avatar makes me feel limited in experiencing the beauty of the environements.

but as you all see, I didn't get far in this game so....maybe I would change my mind.

--snowyte--
DaDungeon
Until I got into 3D games, I would have said the same thing about first person camera . . .
but believe me when you get "into" a 3D game, that third person camera opens up a FAR wider field of vision!

I see so much more . . .
so much faster . . .
than I did in first person.

In fact the only time I use First person camera anymore is:

A. When there is lag, and I need to run or walk long distances;

B. Aiming for precision leaps needs to be quickly confirmed and finessed.

Otherwise, I LOVE third person camera now. My avatar has become an extension of me, 'cause I now can see where my feet are, where I am in relation to an item, and who is approaching far more quickly.
Ja'de
Dimension E310 Specs
Click here to view/hide a spoiler.
Processors
Learn More
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 640 (3.20GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache) with HT Technology
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 531 (3GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache) with HT Technology
Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 521 (2.80GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache) with HT Technology

Operating Systems
Learn More
Genuine Windows® XP Professional Edition
Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition
Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005

Can run Windows VistaTM when properly configured.
See www.dell.com/vista for details.

Office Suites & Productivity
Learn More
Standard:
WordPerfect®
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0

Optional:
Microsoft® Works Suite
WordPerfect Office 12
Microsoft® Office 2003 Basic Edition
Microsoft® Office 2003 Small Business Edition
Microsoft® Office 2003 Professional Edition

Memory
Learn More
256MB (single channel) shared1 DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz
512MB - 2GB (dual channel) shared1 DDR2 SDRAM at 400MHz
2 DIMM slots

Drive Bays
External: One 3.5-inch drive bay (FlexBay) and Two 5.25-inch drive bays
Internal: Two bays for 1-inch-high IDE hard drives

I/O Ports
6 USB 2.0 ports (2 front - 4 back)
1 front 1/8" headphone jack

External Connectors:
Video: 15-hole connector
Network adapter: RJ45 connector
Audio: Three connectors for line-in, line-out, and microphone; one front- panel connector for headphones

Slots
2 PCI slots
1 PCIe x1 slot

Chassis
Microtower with easy internal accessibility
Dimensions: 16.2" x 7.4" x 17.3" (HxWxD) - 41.1 x 18.7 x 43.8 (cm)
Weight: 32 lbs. (14.3 kg)

Power
Input voltage: 90 to 135V and 180 to 265 V at 50/60 Hz
Output wattage: 230 Watts maximum continuous
Output voltage: 3.3V, 5V, and 12V
Heat dissipation: 434.6 BTU/hour
Power management: APM
Backup battery: 3-V CR2032 lithium coin cell

So it has a slot for a PCIe card but he(?) should be able to find a way to make it work (my Opinion--not fact)
I'd be curious to see how your graphics are set for the pc itself.

You might want to try This site
And I just found this on the UBI site.
Well, oddly enough, this came up in another forum, gameboomers (great forum!) before it came up here. Kha'tie (our Ubi community manager) checked with Bill Slease (Cyan) and here is the comment, I copied from the gameboomers thread -
Gameboomers - Uru on Intel

From Kha'tie -
"I checked with Bill Slease at Cyan, and here's what he told me:

"Yes, installing X2 will update the engine you have in ABM and X1 so that all of it would run on an Intel Extreme. But, I'd think most people with the newly supported chipset will buy Complete Chronicles (ABM+X1+X2) rather than ABM and X2 (which includes X1) seperately...but you never know So yes, X2 makes ABM and X1 work on the new specs too.

Of course, Uru will look better on the stouter cards than it does on the Intel Extreme. If you want to see Uru in all its glory, you'll still want one of those high end nVidia or ATI's.

Bill"

Thanks Bill!! That's great news for Myst fans everywhere."

So, if we buy Expack 2 and install it, all of Uru will play on the Intel Extreme Graphics chipset, though it will still look the best on the higher-end nvidea and Radeon cards. I think this is spectacular news!

-----------------------------
Regards,
mszv - play as amarez

Put that down, you are not in a game, this is my life!

So...If you purchased Complete Chronicles, install the whole thing not just Uru.
Ayli
QUOTE (snowyte @ Apr 24 2006, 04:57 PM) *
BTW....I must say, I am not fond of the avatar thing. I 'm not very interested in mastering this aspect of the game. I like playing in first person better as it seems I can explore more. The avatar makes me feel limited in experiencing the beauty of the environements.

but as you all see, I didn't get far in this game so....maybe I would change my mind.

--snowyte--

Actually if you are so inclined, snowyte, you can play the game without seeing your avatar (press F1 and, presto, you don't see your avatar), but you'll be missing a lot, really. Seeing the wet footsteps in Kadish while you run, seeing yourself sit or do emotes. BTW, you'll forcedly be turned into 3rd person view when you perform any interaction with the environment.

Well you'll see, I guess, as you progress in game and get use to the controls, you might change your mind.

I see that Ja'de found out that you have a spare slot in your computer for a video card. You'll need one, I think. When you are ready, you can post here and we'll help you with the selection. It shouldn't be that difficult to install. Everything has instructions these days and open computer cases is easy.

Good luck smile.gif
snowyte
Okay, I don't know what happened because I haven't changed anything, but the game is now working!
Although it does crash alot, I can now see the tabs at the bottom. I can see everything on the help menu.
?????.....I honestly don't know what happened.

I have played a bit but have no idea what I am doing. I have touched the pillars and opened them; gone to the four locations; have my Relto thingy. Until I can get a video card....I guess I will just keep plugging along.

They graphics are a bit strange at times, and the crashing often is a pain.

(I also tried playing in the first person and I see what you mean about changing back to the avatar. And I think I am getting used to her now. It's not so bad. wink3.gif

--snowyte--
Ja'de
Did you reboot? I've heard it is recommended when playing URU.
kurtg1265
Setting the game to run in a windowed mode may help to eleviate some problems, possibly even more so if you are using an integrated graphics chip rather than an add in video card. Could be worth a try anyway.
snowyte
QUOTE (Ja @ Apr 25 2006, 02:23 PM) *
Did you reboot? I've heard it is recommended when playing URU.

Well, that may be it. I turn my computer on and off several times a day. But I think I had done this before with no change.

I must just be magic. rolleyes.gif

But the constant crashing is the main problem now. I can't tell if I am getting thru the game in any kind of normal progression. It crashes when I try some of the linking books. And some times just on turning around.
when I start the game again it opens with me on the Relto island thing everytime. It seems to have advanced and accepted my most recent moves and acquisitions.......hmmmmm. Gee I'd love to play this.

Is the video thing causing the crashing?
Ayli
QUOTE (snowyte @ Apr 26 2006, 12:25 AM) *
...Is the video thing causing the crashing?

I would say 95% most likely. New video card should be a very good investment, not only it will alleviate your current crashing problems with Uru, but will help you on the long run to not have the same problems with future, graphic intensive games.

Take a look at a few examples of the moderately priced and good video cards from ZipZoomFly (and free shipping):

Chaintech SE73GS-G2 GeForce 7300 GS PCI Express 128MB DDR2 Video Card

Asus Extreme AX550/TD Radeon X550 PCI Express 128MB DDR Video Card

You'll also will get a better satisfaction of playing the game and visuals are just stunning and you are not getting them down.gif Now, for you starting the game every time in Relto, is a design of the game. All your progress is saved automatically, so you don't have to worry about that.
UruBoo
I agree with Ayli: it must be your graphic card that is causing the constant crashes. With an add in card, you will be surprised of how good things will look like.
L'lee
QUOTE (snowyte @ Apr 25 2006, 11:25 PM) *
when I start the game again it opens with me on the Relto island thing everytime. It seems to have advanced and accepted my most recent moves and acquisitions.......hmmmmm. Gee I'd love to play this.

Is the video thing causing the crashing?

Just FYI, the game will always start with you on Relto, once you reach there, no matter where you were when you closed/quit the game.

And I would agree with everyone else that your crashing problem is likely video related. A good compatible video card shouldn't cost too much money, assuming you aren't one of these "gotta have the latest and greatest" kind of gamers, which you don't appear to be thus far....
snowyte
I see, looks like I need the video card. And now that I have had a taste of this game, I really want the full experience! It looks wonderful. I am going to have to wait a bit though.....budget being strained as it is.
But I do love these Myst games.

Thanks so much to you all, again, for the help. I have never seen such a gracious site.

---snowyte---
Rex Havoc
Yes, Cyan has done a beautiful job on the graphics in these games. I still find little things in Uru that I had not noticed before.
snowyte
QUOTE (Rex Havoc @ Apr 27 2006, 11:34 AM) *
Yes, Cyan has done a beautiful job on the graphics in these games. I still find little things in Uru that I had not noticed before.

Oh man, Rex. You're teasing me now. ...not fair!

--snowyte--
Piran
QUOTE (Ayli @ Apr 26 2006, 10:47 AM) *

I have a Radeon SE300 128MB Vid Card. In your opinion, do you think this will be sufficient to avoid the above discussed problems?
Rex Havoc
I'm no expert (but I play one on TV... lmao.gif ) As new as that card is, I would be very surprised if you had problems with it.
Piran
lmao.gif lmao.gif ...either that, or you stayed at a Holiday Inn last night...

Sweet! That is one of the upgrades I requested when I bought the computer so it would be more game friendly. Glad to hear it was most likely a good choice!
snowyte
Oh man. One of these days I'll be able to play. down.gif booohooooo!
MystyDeb
Hey,

In case Im restating someones post, sorry! But...Have you checked to see what else is running while you are playing?

I was having horrid problems when I installed a demo version of norton systemworks a couple weeks ago, and have some other things that run in the background that I shut off when I play.

Open Windows task Manager (cntr/alt/del)....click processes...click the top where it says mem usage...and see what is the biggest "hog".

Now...someone else tell her what to NOT shut off!! LOL
I learned by trial and error (not necessarily the best idea)

Deb
Zubeller
QUOTE (MystyDeb @ Apr 30 2006, 01:37 AM) *
Now...someone else tell her what to NOT shut off!! LOL
I learned by trial and error (not necessarily the best idea)

I have used this site to help find out what those processes are:
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm

Of course, be cautious with those processes ! smile.gif
snowyte
Hmmmmmm...since shutting off stuff scares the stuffing out of me, I may wait for the video card. (Or more like, *when* I can get one smile.gif

I am still plugging along in the game. It's fascinating!

----snowyte---
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.