Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jumping The Fence
Guild of Greeters > Ages of Myst (including all Myst games and related media) > General Discussion - Not Puzzle Help > URU: Ages Beyond Myst > UrU Prime Ages > Cleft (The Desert)
Deem
I sure could use some advice on jumping the fence:

Click here to view/hide a spoiler.
I've searched several of the forums and Googled everything I could find about doing this Easter Egg to finally drive the Zamboni. I completed almost all the steps. I'm on the last part, trying to jump the fence. Since I saw the Cyan crew through the telescope, I know I'm on the right track. I have climbed the wreckage to the left of the Riven remnant, attempting to jump over the fence more than fifty times. My fingers hurt... None of the walkthroughs I have give specifics about from where on the wreckage to jump--or towards what part of the fence. There is an interesting gray post that catches my eye, but jumping towards it does nothing...

There's a sweet spot, but I can't find it. If anyone could give specifics, I'd be very much obliged! Thank you.
Lord Chaos
I did that a long time ago, and it took a few attempts. I don't remember the specifics. I think I climbed to the part of the wreckage closest to the fence, poinnted straight at it, and did a running jump. Note that you'll need to hit the run control just before you hit the space bar to jump, so you'll go maximum distance. I think the wreckage used is to the left of the telescope. You can climb the slope and balance along the top edge.
Nighthawk
It has been a while, Deem, but I recall there being a fence post that was slightly darker than the others. That is the spot you are aiming for.
At least I think it is. GL.

biggrin.gif
Deem
No luck yet.

I've tried walking as far to the top (right side) of wreckage, doing balancing act like the tent in Tokotah Alley. The dark post isn't anywehre near this, however. But it's the closest area to the fence. Then, I've tried running up the extreme left part of the wreckage and jump either straight towards the gate, or left diagonally towards the dark post. No luck. I've tried balancing, running and jumping, you name it. Here's hoping someone with a knack for details can give me a better idea how to orient--much like someone who finally wrote about how to leap to the ledge in Eder Kemo by lining up the lamp post, rock, and explorer. That was an awesome tip. smile.gif

Thanks for trying LC and Nighthawk. blush.gif
lisilee
QUOTE (Deem @ Jun 3 2008, 06:29 AM) *
No luck yet.

I've tried walking as far to the top (right side) of wreckage, doing balancing act like the tent in Tokotah Alley. The dark post isn't anywehre near this, however. But it's the closest area to the fence. Then, I've tried running up the extreme left part of the wreckage and jump either straight towards the gate, or left diagonally towards the dark post. No luck. I've tried balancing, running and jumping, you name it. Here's hoping someone with a knack for details can give me a better idea how to orient--much like someone who finally wrote about how to leap to the ledge in Eder Kemo by lining up the lamp post, rock, and explorer. That was an awesome tip. smile.gif

i didn't know if it were possiable to jump the fence.if one does how far can one go?sounds like one could get lost in the desert.with out the help of zandi or the safety of the cleft....... unsure.gif
J'iim
QUOTE (lisilee @ Jun 3 2008, 05:20 AM) *
QUOTE (Deem @ Jun 3 2008, 06:29 AM) *
No luck yet.

i didn't know if it were possiable to jump the fence.if one does how far can one go?sounds like one could get lost in the desert.with out the help of zandi or the safety of the cleft....... unsure.gif

Looks like the web team will have to do another guide on how to complete the Easter Egg. Sounds like my weekend is scheduled laugh.gif.
alaina
yey some thing for us greeters to do. Have you tried over by the sign where you first link in My hubby say he had luck with that area of the fence.
d'rbeh
there are already posts, perhaps archived by now, on how to jump the fence. these only need be found and copied/pasted to this thread. good luck, deem!
jarelav

According to Greypiffle, the easter egg should be reached first before one can jump the fence:
make sure you are wearing the Yeesha shirt.

go to the Gareeshen power room and step on the plate for the temp power. (the pillar that goes up and down.

In the teledahn Prison, stand on the plate that is in the middle. (4th one from either end)

link to the pyramid and ride the elevator down.
(I then went into the pillar room before soing the next step, but you may not have to)

Turn off the elevator

link to the last room in Gira and turn off the floor lamp. (it's the one next to that journey cloth)

go to the linking book for Kemo and link on over.

get your fireflies and go through the Barho door.
(I went all the way through and dropped through the cave to get back to Relto)

Link to the rainy cleft

change the imager to the symbol on the left from the 4 symbols next to the door.

go on out and to the telescope that fell through the star cleft in Riven

Click on the hotspot for the eyepiece

(OH, ANOTHER ONE!)

YOU ARE DONE. Dazed

source 1
source 2
IBnetweasel
Hey Deem...
From what I remember, I jumped from the top of the actual telescope straight over the fence. This was in the off-line version a long time ago.

I tried jumping the same way in MOUL from the scope, after following the egg directions there, but it was a no go. I couldn't make it over unless I jumped from the wreckage left of the scope (as you face the fence). So what I remember from the off-line and on-line versions differ.

I believe you can only jump over the fence (once you have it set up appropriately and see the pic in the telescope, which you said you had) if you remain in the cleft. If you link out, I think you have to start all over.

GOODLUCK!
IB bye2.gif
Shadowcats
LOL I remember doing this and yeah when everything is correct it's fun to ride the Zamboni offline as they added the blockers online
so you couldn't jump the fence.
There are lots of glitches in ofline and online found exploring like swimming in the hood water by jumping from one of the coloums at a certain angle.
smile.gif
Caz had a Video around here and it was great him riding the Buss and also one of him having The Great Zero added to his Relto.
Search feature won't work for me so just look for videos
Deem
Still trying, no luck. I've done everything up to the fence jump correctly. I think it's come down to needing someone to draw a diagram or something. unsure.gif
Nighthawk
QUOTE (Deem @ Jun 3 2008, 10:31 PM) *
Still trying, no luck. I've done everything up to the fence jump correctly. I think it's come down to needing someone to draw a diagram or something. unsure.gif

Deem, the info below is taken from the To D'ni Walkthrough here on the GoG site. It may be a help:
Climb out from the cleft and make your way towards the fallen Riven telescope behind the volcano. If all went well, you will be able to look through it, hear Zandi saying "Another one?" and see a picture of the Cyan staff. It is also possible to jump to the other side of the fence using the metal plate to the left of the projector (with your back to the volcano and the fence in front of you). While on the other side of the fence, make your way back and to the left. You will eventually spot something at the distance. Keep running towards it to find Zandi on his Zamboni. When you get close enough to it, you will get to drive the Zamboni. Just be careful not to crash because this will end your experience.

Also, when you are done and link out of the cleft, the puzzle will be reset and you will have to do it all over if you want another go at driving. ^_^
Doing it all over includes resolving the hexagonal tile room puzzle in Kadish Tolesa and relighting generator in Eder Gira before you start resolving Easter Egg mode.

J'iim
QUOTE (Deem @ Jun 4 2008, 12:31 AM) *

Working on it. I have to set everything up first and then I'll find that elusive spot again.
Piran
Boy this sure reminds me of trying to get the relto page on the ledge in Eder Kemo! laugh.gif
J'iim
OK. I shot the raw video for the Easter Egg sequence and just have a few retakes and a pile of editing to do. I managed to get the most amazing Zandoni (Zamboni? Zandi-mobile?) crash I've seen to date smile.gif.

From the timer in the images, you can see that I made it to the jump in just over 9 minutes. If you can preset your bookmarks to where you need to be, you can breeze right through in a short time. This was actually the 2nd attempt as I jumped a bit too close the the darkened post. You aim at the post but as you start up the metal plate, you slide just a bit to the right. The key is triggering your jump at the last possible moment before you run off the edge of the piece of debris.

Note: You cannot make this jump unless you activate and look through the telescope eyepiece. (I really tried but no joy.)

For those that are anxious to make the jump before the walkthrough is published, here are 7 frames from the video showing the jump over the fence:

UruBoo
Oh yes, memories... I remember the "jumping the fence" puzzle. Because it was a puzzle to me to find the right spot to jump at the time (four years ago!). Then, and now I recall, someone said "look for the darkner fence pole...". And now, if you look at the pictures J'iim took, you can see the "darkner pole". Jump aiming there...
Deem
J'iim--and everyone--you guys are amazing! J'iim's diligence and attention to detail is beyond astonishing! I am very grateful. I will give the jump another try tomorrow night (too tired tonight--want to be awake and ready to enjoy the Zamboni) based on the pics. Such a big help!

I think part of my problem might be that right after I looked into the telescope and saw the Cyan crew, "Another one?" my computer crashed! I've never been able to get that hot spot back on the telescope viewfinder. I've reset all the puzzles and played through all the way again, but can never see that picture again or use the telescope. Yet, the Easter Egg still hovers, and I can spot wayyyy in the distance what I think is Zandi! So I'm not sure whether the game is still waiting for me to properly jump the fence, or if there is something blocking me. If I have to reset everything, I'm not sure my efforts have been correct (taking off the Yeesha shirt, relighting the floor in Kadish, etc.). Is there a proper way to reset everything? Call me puzzled!

It's great to see the interest this has generated. See, this game still has some adventures in it still. smile.gif

Thanks again, J'iim. Even if I can't complete this stage, it will be awesome to see your movie! I always loved those. smile.gif
J'iim
@Deem.

Since you crashed after seeing the picture in the telescope, the Easter Egg was automatically reset. All you should have to do is relight the steam lamp in Eder Gira and resolve the floor puzzle in the Kadish pyramid. (You may want to change one or more of the imager symbols in Rainy Cleft so you have to reset that as well... not sure if this is necessary though.) Then start over from scratch in Relto and run through the steps again. I will check to see if it is as simple as that. If I can retrigger the puzzle just doing the above, I will trigger the telescope and crash my system manually to see if that leaves the SDL files in some indeterminent state that prevents the EE from working again. There are quite a few bugs in the old standalone version and the Easter Egg has a few by itself. I crashed the Zandoni (Zamboni?) and immediately fell through the desert floor into the grayness. When I tried reltoing out, I ended up in an endless loop of falling through the floor in Relto and panic linking back there.

One helpful hint: go through each of the locations you need to visit and click on the journey cloth closest to where you need to be. Then use the bookmarks to quickly run through the steps. I made it to the "jump the fence" part in about 9 minutes.

I completed the rough cut edit of the Easter Egg sequence yesterday but even chopping some of the longer, boring, run forever parts it ended up at over 10 minutes. It took 3.5 hours of rendering to produce a viewable output. I will be redoing it from scratch leaving out the Relto book selection parts and just showing what to do for that step. laugh.gif I even found out the hard way about the number of frames limit in a SWF video when the movie stopped playing just as I was arriving at Zandi's "dune buggy".
J'iim
Horrors! What could this mean? I visited the Cleft (lousy weather... rain and lightning...) and caught this image of Zandi. Could he be pulling up stakes and leaving the Cleft?

laugh.gif I found another fence jumping trick while driving the Zamboni. Luckily I landed with the rubber side down and was able to drive around inside the fence for a bit. I drove into the Cleft after this but fell through into the void. What a trip!

Assuming you have an ability not normally available in the game to get over the fence (we'll leave that topic up in the air for you to figure out) you can go out, find the Zamboni and drive it without solving the Easter Egg.
Kon'Dor
Skydiving and RV driving don't go together either.
I got shafted trying to drive the RV down the Great Shaft. On top of that, it is a long jog across the desert to get to the Zandoni. Is there a defibulator on board of old guys like me? laugh.gif

J'iim
QUOTE (Kon'Dor @ Jun 5 2008, 01:05 PM) *
Skydiving and RV driving don't go together either.
I got shafted trying to drive the RV down the Great Shaft. On top of that, it is a long jog across the desert to get to the Zandoni. Is there a defibulator on board of old guys like me? laugh.gif

If you look carefully at the ground around the volcano, you can see a sort of demarcation in the color as you go up. That is the point where the solid surface turns to tissue paper. Cross the line and be prepared to fall into the void.

You can always do what I had to do... get a defib implanted in your chest... I can never leave home without it blush.gif . Just remember to keep your nitrostat pills in your pocket.
Deem
J'iim, the good news is that using your advice (change imager symbols, relight & resolve Kadish floor, relight Kemo lamp) I was again able to get the hot spot for the telescope and to see the Cyan family, "Ah, another one?"

The bad news is that just like the first time, as soon as I stepped away from the telescope, my computer crashed to desktop. It must be a major bug with this one point in the Easter Egg (someone else on a thread mentioned getting stuck, unable to exit, while looking into the telescope, in fact). I went around and reset everything. I will give it another try tomorrow night.
J'iim
Rehashing the usual suspects...

Have you loaded the latest video, sound, motherboard drivers for your system? (I'm thinking it may be a video driver issue)
Have you run Windows update to get the latest OS patches? (You really should not have to do this unless something is corrupted in your OS)
Have you tried loading the version of directX that comes on your CD/DVD? (this is dX9 on my CD... you might be missing some run time component)

The latest XP version is service pack 3.
The latest Vista version is service pack 1. (although SP1 does break a large number of programs)
Deem
I think I'm fine with that. I had Circuit City install a new video card (and Direct X update, etc.) onto my computer a month ago. I don't think it gets more recent than that--especially for an Easter Egg that was made for 2003 computers...
Deem
Third time's a charm! My computer didn't crash, I leaped the fence within seconds, and I had a wonderful first ride in the Zamboni! Alas, it flipped and crashed onto its side before we made it over the fence. Such fun!

Here's my first up close view of Zandi:

Here's an after the crash shot:

Thank you J'iim for all your fantastic advice. I couldn't have completed this without you expertise, detail and patience! And thanks to everyone else who helped on this. I feel complete now! cool.gif
d'rbeh
ah, that brings back memories. the first time i did this years ago, i found the accelerator pedal FAR too sensitive and i wound up in a gully, unable to get out.

congrats, deem! the zamboni is a fun ol' jalopy to drive, eh?

clapping.gif clapping.gif
Deem
Sure is fun, D'rbeh. Thank you for the kind words. I miss you, friend. blush.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.