Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Music Suggestion Game
Guild of Greeters > Guild of Gamers (General Game Discussion for other games) > Forum Based Games
Myer
Here are the rules for the Music Suggestion Game.

1. Poster must present a song and a link to youtube that includes said song.
  2. The post must include the title of the song and by what artist.
  3. The person who replies to the post must give a review of the song suggested and in turn suggest another song.
  4. If others want to comment or give reviews on a previously posted song, private messages are encouraged for healthy discussion.
  5. Keep things positive. If you did not like the song, give good criticism of the song
  6. Be thorough in your review of the song.

I will start it off with the song Dikiy Muzhchina by Leningrad

Let's get the ball rolling
Ayli
QUOTE (Myer @ Apr 21 2010, 03:17 PM) *
Here are the rules for the Music Suggestion Game.

1. Poster must present a song and a link to youtube that includes said song.
  2. The post must include the title of the song and by what artist.
  3. The person who replies to the post must give a review of the song suggested and in turn suggest another song.
  4. If others want to comment or give reviews on a previously posted song, private messages are encouraged for healthy discussion.
  5. Keep things positive. If you did not like the song, give good criticism of the song
  6. Be thorough in your review of the song.

I will start it off with the song Dikiy Muzhchina by Leningrad

Let's get the ball rolling

The name of the band picked my interest, because I'm from Leningrad thumbsup.gif

I heard this song, because it is from the movie "Everything Illuminated", which I've seen quite a few times and like very much. I'd recommend it to see to our forum goers.

The song itself have quite strong language, if you understand Russian. The title name of this song means "Wild man". I'm not a song reviewer, but this song goes well with the movie that it was used in. I don't know if it was written specifically for this movie or not.

I wouldn't have participated in this thread if not the choice of the first song.

I will defer to the next poster to choose a new song to review.
d'rbeh
ok, i'll bite, being a music lover myself... wink3.gif

check this out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4_4abCWw-w

one of my favorite artists! clapping.gif clapping.gif clapping.gif
Deem
Another fun game by Myer! smile.gif

I loved "Everything Illuminated." It was so offbeat and funny!

D'rbeh, your song was very beautiful and peaceful. I love mellow music like this. Though I'm not a huge fan of guitar, the instrument was played softly with a Christopher Parkening (sp?) classical guitar touch, which always appeals to me. It was soothing. smile.gif Was going to post something by Enya in response, keeping with that theme, but have decided to make a left turn. lollol

I have so many favorite songs, most classical, sountrack or new age. I'll go out on a limb here and post something I stumbled onto accidentally on You Tube that is both strange and beautiful. Please try not to watch the graphics--they are distracting and may bias the listener. Just close your eyes and let the sound engulf you.

When I listen to this, I always see this as a cosmic "hum"--what the vibration of the universe must sound like. It's hypnotic, alien, engulfing, vast, amazing. I always loved Gregorian chants, but this is so much more than that. The technique is called Tibetan throat singing. I love the "layered" effect as new voices overlap into the ongoing hum. The title is "True Silence" and it's a purification mantra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDEM5nfh2nU&NR=1
Myer
Ahhh the magic of throat singing, truly inspiring. There is a reason as to why this song is considered a mantra as it really does clear your mind. Things like this hit on a primordial level for me with the base monotone backing and rythmic lead voices. If only I could understand what was being said. Great piece Deem!

Here is mine, a little nod to one of the great scientific minds of our time, with a unique twist. A Glorious Dawn by The Symphony of Science
I hope you all like it.
d'rbeh
QUOTE (Deem @ Apr 23 2010, 10:52 AM) *
Another fun game by Myer! smile.gif

I loved "Everything Illuminated." It was so offbeat and funny!

D'rbeh, your song was very beautiful and peaceful. I love mellow music like this. Though I'm not a huge fan of guitar, the instrument was played softly with a Christopher Parkening (sp?) classical guitar touch, which always appeals to me. It was soothing. smile.gif Was going to post something by Enya in response, keeping with that theme, but have decided to make a left turn. lollol

I have so many favorite songs, most classical, sountrack or new age. I'll go out on a limb here and post something I stumbled onto accidentally on You Tube that is both strange and beautiful. Please try not to watch the graphics--they are distracting and may bias the listener. Just close your eyes and let the sound engulf you.

When I listen to this, I always see this as a cosmic "hum"--what the vibration of the universe must sound like. It's hypnotic, alien, engulfing, vast, amazing. I always loved Gregorian chants, but this is so much more than that. The technique is called Tibetan throat singing. I love the "layered" effect as new voices overlap into the ongoing hum. The title is "True Silence" and it's a purification mantra.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDEM5nfh2nU...nfh2nU&NR=1

throat singing is a wonderful thing - it is not limited to the tibetans... about 12 years ago, i went to a concert at UCLA where Huun Huur Tu was performing along with the Macedonian Women's Choir. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huun-Huur-Tu Check them out. they are fantastic. i bought two CDs of theirs.

QUOTE (Myer @ May 2 2010, 11:23 AM) *
Ahhh the magic of throat singing, truly inspiring. There is a reason as to why this song is considered a mantra as it really does clear your mind. Things like this hit on a primordial level for me with the base monotone backing and rythmic lead voices. If only I could understand what was being said. Great piece Deem!

Here is mine, a little nod to one of the great scientific minds of our time, with a unique twist. A Glorious Dawn by The Symphony of Science
I hope you all like it.

Hmmm... Carl Sagan... and the inevitable electronic voicing... it's not unpleasant at all... just took me a while to get used to it... i find myself getting lost in the content of the meaning of the words and not enjoying the musical overtones and such... an odd piece, but likeable!

here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYbYcJEaKnY...feature=related

and the transcription:

further "youtubeing" will reveal the correct dance that goes to this beautiful compelling song...

Click here to view/hide a spoiler.
Χρόνια και χρόνια τώρα τριγυρνώ
σαν πουλί περιπλανώμενο
Μες στην ξενιτιά, μες στη μοναξιά
που δεν την αντέχω άλλο πια
γιατί νοσταλγώ, γιατί λαχταρώ
την αγάπη μου και το χωριό

Και η αγάπη μου στην Ικαριά
έχει μαύρο πόνο στην καρδιά
Δίχως συντροφιά, δίχως αγκαλιά
δίχως τα γλυκά μου τα φιλιά
Κι αφού με πονά κι αφού μ’ αγαπά
είναι κρίμα να ’ναι μοναχιά

Θα πάρω θέλω την απόφαση
και θα πάω στ’ όμορφο νησί
Θέλω να τής πω πως την αγαπώ
και μια μέρα θα την παντρευτώ
Μες στην Ικαριά μια γλυκιά βραδιά
θα το κάψουμε με τα βιολιά

Και θα χορέψουμε μαζί κι οι δυο
το σκοπό τον ικαριώτικο
Θα γλεντήσουμε, θα μεθύσουμε
τους καημούς θα λησμονήσουμε
μες στην Ικαριά και σαν τα πουλιά
θα ’χουμε κι οι δυο ζεστή φωλιά

English:

Years and years now I'm wandering
Like a stray bird
In strange lands, in loneliness
Which I can no longer take
For I yearn for, for I long for
My love and my village

My love in Icarus
Has black pain in her heart
Without company, without embrace
Without my kisses
Since she cares for me, since she loves me
It's a shame she be alone

I want to take the decision
And go to the beautiful island
I want to tell her that I love her
And one day I'll marry her
In Icarus one sweet night
We will burn it up with the violins

And we shall dance together
The Icarian tune
We will celebrate, we will drink
We will forget the sorrows
In Icaria, like two birds
We'll both have a warm nest"

Deem
D'rbeh, the Greek song was engaging. If I was a dancer, I'd probably love it more. wink3.gif That photo of the Greek island with glorious sunset was breathtaking!

The Carl Sagan piece--okay, he's not the greatest singer! lollol Oh, but how many memories this brought back for me. In 1976 my father and I went to Bell Labs in Cherry Hill, NJ. Sagan was there, not yet a famous public figure. He was giving a slide show of the very first images of Mars from the Viking Mission (before the landers touched down). He was concentrating on the polar caps and their composition, and discussing the potential lander experiments they would be doing for life. I remember just sitting there, riveted, staring at those pictures and my passion for Mars became full blown. There was another world, so clear, so beautiful, and so like our own! That day, I heard Sagan say "billions" as well, I it tickled me! When he became famous ("Cosmos") years later, I started wearing a maroon turtleneck and tan corderoy jacket to school, quite proudly. I was a geek, what can I say? smile.gif I saw him again when I was attending Stanford University. He was older, thinner now (he'd had a brush with death from a burst appendix), and far too serious. He was there to talk about nuclear war and the devastating effects of a potential nuclear winter. The Cold War was going strong, and Sagan was obviously quite terrified about what would happen to the Earth after a first strike. Although I agreed with him, I really missed that warm, witty passion he once held for the cosmos and Mars. I wanted him to stop worrying about war, and get back to the universe. Alas, he passed away not long afterwards. May he rest in peace. He was a great human being and an inspiration.

Here is a link to a NASA (Voyager mission) photo that Sagan really wanted everyone to see--to appreciate just how small and fragile this tiny planet is that we live on. It's titled "Pale Blue Dot": Pale Blue Dot

Back to all things MYST. Someone compiled some sounds/music from Exile and put it altogether into a very tranquil, beautiful piece titled "Lost Soul."

Lost Soul
MystyRiver
That is an amazing picture. It is sad to think Sagan spent his last days sad for our future. I'm very impressed that you met him. We are smaller than a grain of sand in comparison to the rest of the universe, but we do think we are more important than that grain of sand.
mysty

QUOTE (Deem @ May 8 2010, 01:11 AM) *
D'rbeh, the Greek song was engaging. If I was a dancer, I'd probably love it more. wink3.gif That photo of the Greek island with glorious sunset was breathtaking!

The Carl Sagan piece--okay, he's not the greatest singer! lollol Oh, but how many memories this brought back for me. In 1976 my father and I went to Bell Labs in Cherry Hill, NJ. Sagan was there, not yet a famous public figure. He was giving a slide show of the very first images of Mars from the Viking Mission (before the landers touched down). He was concentrating on the polar caps and their composition, and discussing the potential lander experiments they would be doing for life. I remember just sitting there, riveted, staring at those pictures and my passion for Mars became full blown. There was another world, so clear, so beautiful, and so like our own! That day, I heard Sagan say "billions" as well, I it tickled me! When he became famous ("Cosmos") years later, I started wearing a maroon turtleneck and tan corderoy jacket to school, quite proudly. I was a geek, what can I say? smile.gif I saw him again when I was attending Stanford University. He was older, thinner now (he'd had a brush with death from a burst appendix), and far too serious. He was there to talk about nuclear war and the devastating effects of a potential nuclear winter. The Cold War was going strong, and Sagan was obviously quite terrified about what would happen to the Earth after a first strike. Although I agreed with him, I really missed that warm, witty passion he once held for the cosmos and Mars. I wanted him to stop worrying about war, and get back to the universe. Alas, he passed away not long afterwards. May he rest in peace. He was a great human being and an inspiration.

Here is a link to a NASA (Voyager mission) photo that Sagan really wanted everyone to see--to appreciate just how small and fragile this tiny planet is that we live on. It's titled "Pale Blue Dot": Pale Blue Dot

Back to all things MYST. Someone compiled some sounds/music from Exile and put it altogether into a very tranquil, beautiful piece titled "Lost Soul."

Lost Soul

I love the music. Wish I were a dancer but am more the moose type on the dance floor. Agree with Deem the music is very engaging. The words however are sad and full of longing.
mysty

QUOTE (d'rbeh @ May 6 2010, 04:09 PM) *
Hmmm... Carl Sagan... and the inevitable electronic voicing... it's not unpleasant at all... just took me a while to get used to it... i find myself getting lost in the content of the meaning of the words and not enjoying the musical overtones and such... an odd piece, but likeable!

here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYbYcJEaKnY...feature=related

and the transcription:

further "youtubeing" will reveal the correct dance that goes to this beautiful compelling song...

Click here to view/hide a spoiler.
Χρόνια και χρόνια τώρα τριγυρνώ
σαν πουλί περιπλανώμενο
Μες στην ξενιτιά, μες στη μοναξιά
που δεν την αντέχω άλλο πια
γιατί νοσταλγώ, γιατί λαχταρώ
την αγάπη μου και το χωριό

Και η αγάπη μου στην Ικαριά
έχει μαύρο πόνο στην καρδιά
Δίχως συντροφιά, δίχως αγκαλιά
δίχως τα γλυκά μου τα φιλιά
Κι αφού με πονά κι αφού μ’ αγαπά
είναι κρίμα να ’ναι μοναχιά

Θα πάρω θέλω την απόφαση
και θα πάω στ’ όμορφο νησί
Θέλω να τής πω πως την αγαπώ
και μια μέρα θα την παντρευτώ
Μες στην Ικαριά μια γλυκιά βραδιά
θα το κάψουμε με τα βιολιά

Και θα χορέψουμε μαζί κι οι δυο
το σκοπό τον ικαριώτικο
Θα γλεντήσουμε, θα μεθύσουμε
τους καημούς θα λησμονήσουμε
μες στην Ικαριά και σαν τα πουλιά
θα ’χουμε κι οι δυο ζεστή φωλιά

English:

Years and years now I'm wandering
Like a stray bird
In strange lands, in loneliness
Which I can no longer take
For I yearn for, for I long for
My love and my village

My love in Icarus
Has black pain in her heart
Without company, without embrace
Without my kisses
Since she cares for me, since she loves me
It's a shame she be alone

I want to take the decision
And go to the beautiful island
I want to tell her that I love her
And one day I'll marry her
In Icarus one sweet night
We will burn it up with the violins

And we shall dance together
The Icarian tune
We will celebrate, we will drink
We will forget the sorrows
In Icaria, like two birds
We'll both have a warm nest"

Myer
Deem quite choice for a song. The mixture of sound and music from the Exile creates a broad and sweeping series of emotions. I was simply enthralled! The fact that you can string together all those clips into a VERY coherent song is amazing and shows real talent!

Here is another song to keep the ball rolling on my end.

Script Language by Humanwine

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.