Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Scarab-like Bugs On Cliff Edges?
Guild of Greeters > Ages of Myst (including all Myst games and related media) > General Discussion - Not Puzzle Help > URU: Ages Beyond Myst > UrU Prime Ages > Eder Gira / Eder Kemo
Pages: 1, 2
Govindra
An enquiring mind wants to know:

Are the scarab-like bugs hanging threateningly from Eder Kemo's cliff edges dangerous? Are they the beetles mentioned re book handling in Gahreesen? Do they make good pets like the fireflies? blink.gif

Does Eder Kemo need fumigation and if fumigated, will the fireflies be affected along with the scarab-like bugs? wink3.gif
ydontuknow
They do not do anything, at the moment, but sit there. huh.gif
CAGrayWolf
So many questions about these creatures ... and so little information. I have never seen them do anything even remotely threatening ... even when I have gotten very close. They seem to spend all their time eating the moss that grows on the cliff face.

They look to be more of the crustacean family ... more closely related to the crawdad ... so it seems ... than the beetle. What their actual role in Eder Kemo is has yet to be discovered ... nor documented.
Govindra
Ah, then patience is counseled. I thank you for this knowledge and will repose patiently. innocent.gif

Namaste.
Lunachicky
Whatever they are, they give me the creeps!!! They remind me of earwigs!
kurtg1265
I have heard talk before that those bugs are what is keeping the age 'clean' .
D'anak
Well, They're certainly keeping us from playing around up there and leaving our lunch trash strewn about... So they're doing their job well!!! flex.gif
I would hate to see McDonald's wrappers all over the hill shhh.gif Yuuuuch!
Gehn123
Indeed. They do not seem threatening, even if I jump in front of the closer ones. They just clean the moss off the cliffs. In other words, they are good guys smile.gif

NOTE: GAHREESEN PARTY IS ON! WHY ISN'T ANYONE COMING?
Corona
My last experience with a bunch of people in the Garrison was not fun. Thanks, but no thanks.
CAGrayWolf
Can we keep on topic please. shock.gif
JoSmiley
I've heard those "crawdad" lookin' bugs serve quite a different purpose once you get your barbecue relto page... unsure.gif
CAGrayWolf
QUOTE (JoSmiley @ Jan 19 2004, 04:25 PM)
I've heard those "crawdad" lookin' bugs serve quite a different purpose once you get your barbecue relto page... unsure.gif

Gonna need some awfully big boiling pots shock.gif but at least there is enough water to fill them. innocent.gif
JoSmiley
The problem is lugging those heavy water-filled pots all the way back to the steam vents in Gira to boil the water....must be a better way. *trudges off to find a fire page*
Gehn123
We'll also need to borrow Gehn's rifle if we want to shoot them down. (Hey, I doubt DRC's going to add an elevator to the walls in Kemo!).

But even if we do catch them what're we going to cook em' in? If only we had a giant metal grille covering one of Gira's lava pits. Then we could put the bug on the grille and wait for it to roast! laugh.gif
Blueice2
QUOTE (Gehn123 @ Jan 20 2004, 09:19 PM)
... Then we could put the bug on the grille and wait for it to roast! laugh.gif

Bon apetit yucky.gif yucky.gif yucky.gif
Daxian
Tastes like chicken.....
G'alu
I'm getting worried - the hanging crabbugs in my Eder Kemo are getting bigger every time I go back!

G'alu

....to thine ownself be true
ellen6
They have to get bigger to feed all of the greeters. We got a huge hungry group here! rolleyes.gif lmao.gif

Who's bringing the beer?
drunk.gif beer.gif
Blueice2
QUOTE (G'alu @ Jan 22 2004, 08:05 PM)
I'm getting worried - the hanging crabbugs in my Eder Kemo are getting bigger every time I go back!

Worried, eh? To be more precise, I'm REALLY scared now. If I have to find out G'alu is right and these ugly critters are growing, I will never feel as relaxed and comfy as I did earlier, in my favourite world shock.gif
coelho_buda
Don't worry, they only eat fungi and likens.
nutrioso
yucky.gif yucky.gif yucky.gif

SPIT SPIT SPIT

I guess it's ok if you can get through the crunchy outer shell to the soft gushie insides!!
GHOSTHunter
Probably be able to make sushi out of them. Remove the shell, use the ripe, moist innards and those upside down vines near those pesky fireflys and we're good to go. wink3.gif I can just remember that Simpson's episode now, "Poison...poison...poison...Tasty Fish!" clapping.gif
DaDungeon
Kortenea's version:

Moss, hunh?
jesster777
i thought those were the bugs described about, that they'd make the special ink from.

i dunno if i would want to eat the meat of a crab that had blue meat in it. confused1.gif

where is all the blue food?
jordarkelf
I highly doubt the Keanulints were the Ink Beetles (read the notes in/on Gahreesen).
d'rbeh
shorah all Connoisseurs!

first, one would NEVER shoot a lobster-like thing with a gun... they must be dropped into the boiling water alive... this causes a rather revolting upsurge of all stomach contents immediately...

next, i once made the mistake when i was young of asking exactly what it was that lobsters ate. WRONG MOVE! sick.gif

i think it is best sometimes that we don't know too much about what we eat, especially when it comes to animals.

salaam w bon appetit! icecream.gif
jesster777
QUOTE (jordarkelf @ Jul 22 2004, 12:37 PM)
I highly doubt the Keanulints were the Ink Beetles (read the notes in/on Gahreesen).

read them, the notes i found in gog were a little to vague, i'll have to go there agian, but think for a moment, the upper ridge of these shleves they hang from are bllue from them sliding along there. entierly possible
kurtg1265
The Kneulints are not what the D'ni got ink from .

I believe , if you played Riven , that there were some of the ink beetles in there . I think they were more lady-bug shaped and ( if I remember right ) kind of golden or brownish in color .
Corona
D'rbeh, you'll learn a bit about lobster type thingies in Teledahn. But first....Eder Gira & Eder Kemo. Enjoy! biggrin.gif
Matanawaiian
It is impossible to classify animals in the ages as well as we do terrestrial species, as their evolutionary path would be quite different. But, the animal seems to have an exoskeleton, whick would put it in with the arthropods. It seems to be a curious mix of arachnid and crustacean quatilies. But thats just my professional oppinion. tongue.gif
Kehrin
I'm not eating one of those spider-slugs, I don't care who cooks it. Yuck! bleh.gif

They really creeped me out the first time I saw them. Took me a long long time to get comfortable enough to find Kemo restful again!

The first man to eat a lobster must have been very brave, or very hungry. lmao.gif
d'rbeh
wink3.gif
shorah Kehrin!

i don't blame you at all. there are things that i won't put in my mouth either (no comments, all of you comedians shhh.gif ) - for instance, i don't eat oink.png tux.gif wolfie.gif alien.gif cat2.gif memiki.gif rabbit.gif to list a few, but i have been known to eat kurtg.gif in candy form. smile.gif

on the bug note, i think this is really going to freak r'eeta out, because she has this thing about spiders, and if the bug in question resembles one in the slightest, i think i'll have to be the one to explore around them - i doubt she'll put Bru very close to them...

salaam all! and have a great weekend! hug2.gif
Shadowcats
shock.gif Better watch out kurtg. laugh.gif roll.gif roll.gif roll.gif
DaDungeon
Tink and Tank spent many pleasant "time segments" . . .
trying to find a way up the walls in Kemo . . .
walked up alla the ridges . . .
as far as the invisible walls allowed . . .
to visit with the wall-bangers.

Even though their "faces" remind The Mental Mob of a scorpion . . .
they intrigue.

You never know . . .
about appearances, I mean.

Tink confirmed this when she met and befriended The Bearded One . . .
in a mutual exploration of that cave beneath Gahreesen's waterfalls.

She was SURE The Bearded One was the Gahreesen Gator . . .
upon first spotting the baboon-similar alien.

Turned out not to be so.

EDIT: Remedial refresher on difference in keystroke for a " . . . .
and a : . . .
AND the difference between a [ . . .
and a {
jesster777
QUOTE (Kehrin @ Jul 23 2004, 08:00 AM)
I'm not eating one of those spider-slugs, I don't care who cooks it.  Yuck!  bleh.gif

They really creeped me out the first time I saw them.  Took me a long long time to get comfortable enough to find Kemo restful again!

The first man to eat a lobster must have been very brave, or very hungry. lmao.gif

bare in mind what a cockroach looks like. then compare it to a lobster...

hmm.. not much difference.. smile.gif

now compare crab.. to a spider... hmmm not much difference..

biggrin.gif innocent.gif
racegirl
Ewwwwwwww!!!! Can't stand ANY of them........ yucky.gif
Kehrin
I tried snails once at a good restaurant. They were delicious, but I kept having to tell myself "it's seafood, not bugs... it's seafood, not bugs..." lmao.gif
racegirl
roll.gif roll.gif roll.gif roll.gif
kurtg1265
QUOTE (d'rbeh @ Jul 23 2004, 08:09 AM)
..... but i have been known to eat  kurtg.gif  in candy form. smile.gif

shock.gif shock.gif shock.gif

There are actually a few foods made from cactus and even some jellies . But there are a few beverages made from them ( or certain types ) as well that can knock your socks off . Tequila anyone ..... beer.gif
d'rbeh
shorah kurt!

right you are! i forgot about the nopales, the delicious cactus fronds that some people grill over a barbie....

tequila? it is made from cactus? i thought agave was the component, but perhaps there are several kinds!...

at any rate, i love a nice tequila sunrise...

looking forward to finding these bugs that i am reading so much about... is it true they really get bigger as time goes by?

eeeef.

salaam, all!
Corona
I Love the cliff hanging creatures in Kemo. Six little eyes. They're so cute! biggrin.gif
Mysti Sage
I have always thought them a bit scary. When I first linked to Kemo, I slowly side-stepped, stopping every few feet, all the way across the bridge. yes, I forgot MYST is NOT an action game. whistling.gif
d'rbeh
shorah all!

well, we will be in Kemo tomorrow night, and i can't wait to see these little beasties... hmmm... i wonder if they would like some fireflies to play with?

salaam to all and hope you all had a great weekend!

smile.gif
Corona
Going to Kemo tonight? Good, I can't wait to read your next post about it. biggrin.gif
Kehrin
I was a beta tester and when I first saw Kemo, and for months after that, there were no bugs there. The first time I saw the bugs, the first thing I thought was to wonder who at Cyan was working out all his phobias in Uru! I mean... crossing narrow spans over bottomless chasms, leaping from pillar to post in death defying fashion, fooling around near boiling lava, and now this cross between a giant black widow, a scorpion and a slug. What were they thinking! shock.gif lmao.gif But seriously, it really did take me a long time to get comfy in that garden again. I knew nothing in a Cyan game would really hurt me, but I couldn't help looking over my shoulder to make sure they weren't getting any closer! laugh.gif
Corona
In fly mode you can get up close to them. Their animation is really smooth & well done. I want to pet them.
Dragonball161
QUOTE (Kehrin @ Jul 26 2004, 02:10 PM)
The first time I saw the bugs, the first thing I thought was to wonder who at Cyan was working out all his phobias in Uru!  I mean... crossing narrow spans over bottomless chasms, leaping from pillar to post in death defying fashion, fooling around near boiling lava, and now this cross between a giant black widow, a scorpion and a slug.  What were they thinking!

Never thought of it like that! roll.gif

:shrink: Now, just walk the wire to the door over there...
:patient: NO! I can't see the bottom!
:shrink: It's just a game... and don't look down.
:patient: But it's so real!

Corona, You always like to play with the critter don't you? Oh, how are those geese and swans doing?
Corona
The swans only have one baby left. I haven't seen them lately. It's a big river. Geese come & go.
Mysti Sage
Oooo, you have swans there, Corona? I live on a lake, and we have some Canada geese and several ducks, but nary a single swan. down.gif Send some one over my way! smile.gif
Corona
Mmmmmm.....I think I brought this thread way off topic. Sorry. down.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.