Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Point Of All These Markers
Guild of Greeters > Myst Online: Uru Live > Myst Online: URU Live Game Discussion > Ae'gura and Great Zero
darth_this
Ok, I've found 16 markers, and by this passed one level. Now I realize I have to hunt more markers, and when this is done I have the opportynity to hunt even more markers.

I still don't know why I'm doing this. This doesn't assemble any Myst/Uru Puzzle I've seen before, and it isn't any puzzle at all. Just vaccuuming large (over crowded) public areas doesn't seem to have any point to me. When I checked out what this and other forums say about these markers, I found some hints about where to find them, and reaklized some are hidden in places I'll have to go Quake style to reach. If I liked Quake I'd play Quake. I don't. thumbsdown.gif

There seems to be no way of guessing where they should be. This is not puzzles. The markers positions are just secrets, without any clues except for spoiler posts on the web.

Is there anything I will acheve from continuing with this marker hunt except for a new assignment to find more of them (or perhaps getting a new T-shirt in my Relto wardrobe)?

Please correct me, I'd really like to be wrong!
Alazar
Darth I am afraid at this point you are right. But you must consider the newest puzzles Cyan has given us.

The puzzles left in URU as I see it are the following.

1. Can I get my player list from the vault?confused1.gif
2. Can I query my graphics/audio card?confused1.gif
3. Can I get Authenticated?confused1.gif
4. Can I fetch my player?confused1.gif
5. Can I join my Age?confused1.gif
6. Can I get Authenticated again?confused1.gif
7. Is my Relto even there?confused1.gif
8. Can I move?confused1.gif
9. Can I get to the Nexus?confused1.gif
10. Is Aguerra still full?confused1.gif
11. Can I move if I get into the City?confused1.gif
12. Will my connection be strong enough to keep me from getting a failed connection?confused1.gif
13. How long can I stay frozen on the same spot and watch my modem lights whir?confused1.gif

Now if you can solve those riddles I think you will find that chasing markers is about all that is left at this point.whistling.gif

But I have faith they will find something new out there to puzzle us about. That is if my computer hasn't melted down by then. headbang.gif
Corona
Darth This, I cracked up when I saw your avy on the left wink at me! roll.gif

You think capturing 30 markers is mind-numbing? Wait till you see what awaits you when you get all 30 markers & those glass doors in the GZ open up for you. headbang.gif
This marker collecting thang is just a 'mini-game' within Live, though it's not mini at all. (You'll see.) So is the Garrison Training Wall thang. These mini-games are not the real essence of Uru Live. They're just throwing the small stuff at us while they try to fix all these horrenous bugs & deadly lag. Matter of fact, they're so busy that they don't even have time to even send us a "please be patient" post.
trickster721
In in-game terms, we're calibrating the Great Zero, which is sort of the D'ni GPS. When this is all over, we'll be able to setup our own marker games as described in the KI book in Gahreesen. We'll also be able to see our coordinates in each age.
Alazar
I think what Darth This was saying is it is not puzzle solving to chase flags./

Marker wars is not what URU is supposed to be about IMHO. blink.gif
Corona
The concept of mini-games escapes you? These are not the real thrust of what Uru Live is about. Nor do they reflect the typical gameplay of Live. Mini-games are diversions from Uru's typical gameplay. They're not the 'direction' Uru Live is heading. They're diversions, thus, 'mini-games'.

What will Live truly be like? More like Uru Prime. Ages to explore & solve.

I hate to promote this thought, because it's too much of a Spoiler...but have you watched the "What Is Uru Live" video clip that comes with the game? If you have, you'd get the real idea of what Live is all about.
Taelos
Well I certainly get the "mini-game" concept. Very usefull to have side quests as a break from solving/fighting/whatever in the main theme of any game.

But lets postulate for a moment.

1) The KI has these marker light indicators on the left to track what you found.
2) The D'ni notes talk about how maintainers used to go on training missions looking for said markers.

Stopping there it is fair to presume that marker locating might be an integral part of the gameplay moving forward. We just don't know. My bet is that they arn't going away.
Corona
The Marker game is less of a mini-game & more of a plot puzzle, & you're right, it is integral to opening up the City. As it stands, about 99% of the City is "locked up" for lack of a better word. There is more beyond the Calibration Center which will point to some new puzzle, & to yet another puzzle beyond that in another part of the City. They might be Calibration 'centered', they might not. One thing I know is to expect the unexpected. I had no idea that there was going to be a Calibration hunt, did you? So you never know. One thing I think we can agree on is that after collecting 200 City markers, they're not going to repeat that further on.....not in that part of the City anyway. They might introduce another type of Marker with another mode of capture. But I think they'll lighten up at that point & introduce Ages to explore before employing another big Marker hunt or its alternative gameplay.

The City, Hood, & the rest of the Volcano & all it may entail is probably equivalent to about 10 to 15 Yeesha Ages. And let's not forget what lies Beneath the City, & up in the stratified walls of the Cavern. The thing is monstrous. There will be building after building after building to explore. But it's 'puzzles' are instanced instead of shared because of the nature of 'everyone being in the same place at the same time'.
Corona
That's why Zandi concentrated on PreAfter. Geocaching, Global Positioning Hunts. It's the main theme of City exploration & opening up new places within it. Those 000,000,000 #s aren't just for your amusement. Believe it or not (& you're gonna kick yourself in the a** really hard for this) you should be writing down all those coordinates for every single marker you find & where you found them in order to solve a puzzle later on. Remember...this is a Myst game. bleh.gif

I bet soon after you complete the 200 markers you're going to see some machine(s) that show azimuth, vertical, & horizontal coordinates (I forget the correct names for them but you know what I mean) (3D globe coordinates)

You want a hint on the Seashell spiral Yeesha pointed out at the end of Prime?......

Q - "Oh.....but that would be 'telling'...." biggrin.gif

Chaco Canyon
Pueblo Bonito

Woah, now I see what the Great Zero crystals represent! Cool! biggrin.gif Thank you PBS!

Gira, the cycle of the Sun & the Moon(s!).

The mass migration of the Chacoins.

The eclipse.
Shangra
QUOTE (Corona @ Feb 3 2004, 04:01 AM)
That's why Zandi concentrated on PreAfter. Geocaching, Global Positioning Hunts. It's the main theme of City exploration & opening up new places within it. Those 000,000,000 #s aren't just for your amusement. Believe it or not (& you're gonna kick yourself in the a** really hard for this) you should be writing down all those coordinates for every single marker you find & where you found them in order to solve a puzzle later on. Remember...this is a Myst game.  bleh.gif

I bet soon after you complete the 200 markers you're going to see some machine(s) that show azimuth, vertical, & horizontal coordinates (I forget the correct names for them but you know what I mean) (3D globe coordinates)

W.. Wa.. Wait a minute Corona. Were we supposed to take down all those coordinates we got from the CGZ markers quest? Please, don't say we were ... (panic) blink.gif cry.gif headbang.gif ohmy.gif
Tarl Raven
You mean you didn't record their locations? shock.gif

At least you know what you're going to be doing for the near-future headbang.gif

Umm, actually, that makes two of us down.gif
Shangra
This is a nightmare. I want a spoiler page or walkthrough or whatever with all those numbers down. I'm not going to do that crazy thing AGAIN !!!

<starts breaking things around in an uncontrolled rave>

<two white robed men approach him cautiously>

Let go, let go, let me out of this straight jacket aaaaaaaaaaaaaah

<an ambulance takes him away>
merlin2
Uh Oh - I never thought about coordinates - come to think of it I don't recall seeing coordinates. Anyway, I noted where I found them but I don't think they show up again after capture. Do I need to go into another shard to mark coordinates? And --- will they be in the same place?? SCARY! shock.gif

Corona - are you just putting us on?
ydontuknow
What coordinates? I have never noticed any coordinates. Where were they at. I just seen the marker and "bingo" that was it. Now to go back and find the coordinates ranting.gif You would have to create a new avatar so you can get the "exact" coordinates.

I have not been to the city in awhile or have not even been in the game, as far as that goes. The lag there, city, is so frustrating it is not worth it to even go in to the city. That is if you can even get there. verymad.gif

Now from reading some of the posts. The shards are down, gggeeeesssshhh. OH well but that is all apart of the testing I hope.

If this game turns out they way they are expecting it to. It is going to be HUGE.

Good Luck to Cyan and UBI thumbsup.gif

tux.gif tux.gif tux.gif tux.gif whip.gif Oh don't try and hide in the city. It might take forever to find you but I will find you.....AHUH AHUH roll.gif
Erandel
No need to panic. You can simply "redo" The Zero missions to get the co-ord numbers by clicking on and off the zero puzzle.

As it stands, I only have done the easy hood mission, and about 98% of the hard misson, which isn't too much ground to recover.

I personally don't think you need to remember the location of the markers just the co-ord info and that I am sure you can get from a page somewhere.
devon
QUOTE (merlin2 @ Feb 4 2004, 11:21 AM)
Uh Oh - I never thought about coordinates - come to think of it I don't recall seeing coordinates.

When you tagged each marker, the coordinates showed up in your chat text.

- devon
Shangra
Now seriously guys. I went through the pages of the ki book explaining CGZM and, correct me if I'm wrong, it does NOT mention we needed to record coordinates.
Malika
Actually, aren't there spaces for coordinates for almost every location listed in the Nexus? Right now they're just zeros....

just a thought. smile.gif

M~
devon
QUOTE (Shangra @ Feb 4 2004, 01:37 PM)
Now seriously guys. I went through the pages of the ki book explaining CGZM and, correct me if I'm wrong,  it does NOT mention we needed to record coordinates.

True, it doesn't tell you to write them down. Then again, there was nothing telling you to write down what you saw in the Kadish Gallery either, yet most of the things you saw there were useful to you in getting through the Kadish puzzles. We have to be observant and take note of everything we see. Who knew that the signposts in the city would give us a clue where to look for markers in the various missions? But they were there for us to observe and use all along. If the coordinates were not important, there would be no point in letting us know what they were at all.

- devon
Shangra
I know we need to be observant and jot down notes all the way. We've done that in the previous games and in Prime. However we always had a hint that something was going to be useful or not.
Quite simply we have a total of 228 coordinates. Most of them in the city and basically in the same places (i know not exactly in the same spots). How are we going to use them? And how can you tell which is which? And what for? If, for instance, we are requested to enter some number, how can they refer to exactly the one they have in mind? Sincerely I'm pretty baffled at it.

If some of the knowledgeable betas can throw some light ..... please
coelho_buda
Not to worry: I am recording every coordinate and location for future spoiler/walkthrough. Have quite a few so far. Can't get to quite a lot of them because of Ae'gura link in problems. bleh.gif
Malika
coelho_buda!

worship.gif oh, I am SOOOO impressed! worship.gif

and look forward to catching up on the ones I missed. whistling.gif

M~
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.