Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Burning A Linking Book
Guild of Greeters > Ages of Myst (including all Myst games and related media) > General Discussion - Not Puzzle Help > The Books - D'ni History & Lore
Malika
Just musing....

Think back (waaaaaaaayyyyyy back) to the first Myst. The sons are trapped in linking books that Atrus chooses to burn - because his kids turned out to be nasty nut jobs!

Now, does this mean that they cannot link out, but will live out their lives in their cell world - and therefore leave the possibility of someone writing a new link into their worlds - OR - does the burning of the books destroy the world, and therefore equate to a death sentence?

And if it is the former will they be around at some point in the future D'ni storyline to mess things up or will they be kept only in the Myst single player series?
oldbushie
Burning linking books just ensures no chance of going back to that world. The books merely link, they do not create. wink3.gif The worlds were already there for the exploring when the D'Ni started making the books.
jesster777
I have been a bit confused at this issue too. IIRC Originally, Atrus burnt the books to proect the ages from his son's influence and corruption. I just cracked open Myst Masterpice Edition and have been running thru it. According to the storyline, the world itself was changed when the link book was changed, evident with the age Atrus was visiting and while he was there, the land changed from a lush green field to a dry dead desert. Now Yeesha explained that Ages were neither created nor destroyed but rather new alternate realities were discovered each time a link book was changed. For these two concepts to tie together, you would have to say that every time the link book was changed while you were in the age, you were reestablished in this new alternate reality with out having touched a link book.

blink.gif huh.gif
Dave III
I always wondered about that too. Atrus was in Age 37 (I can't find it's proper name) while Gehn made some changes (Most significantly, he made the oceans warmer) while Atrus was physically in Age 37. If the link slipped off the "orignal" Age 37 (37a) to an alternate Age 37 (37b), shouldn't Atrus have not perceived the alterations, but stayed put in 37a?

My theory has always been this: Linking works on a Quantum level. (We're talking technobabble here, not full blown Real Science. wink3.gif ) As the Writer writes, it's kind of like a recipe, or filling out a form. The Connection isn't made to the Age until the Linker links. Up until that point, it should be all right to make any changes to the Book, because there's no Connection yet. AFTER, however, is another story.

There was probably a very specific rule about making changes to a Book after it's made it's first link that Gehn never new about (or ignored completely). Doing so probably stretches that quantum Linkage into alternate posibilities, other qualitfying Ages the Link could connect to. Basically, Gehn was trying to prune branches off the Great Tree by squeezing the offending one into a nearby branch headed in the direction he wanted. This resulted in an instability, which no doubt compounded with every further alteration until the branch (read: linkage) was unviable and either the quantum forces of possibility ripped the Age apart or imploded. Gehn's 'edits' at the end of that part of the story did nothing to rescue the people of Age 37, the ones Atrus meets were never part of anything he or Gehn had ever done.

Atrus was easily as cavalier with the editing as Gehn, but at least he took it more seriously and didn't include any inhabited words in his experiments.

That's my theory, anyway, your milage may vary. ^_^

Dave III
Malika
uh oh, now I'm more confused than when I started...

soo...the worlds all coexist... the D'ni just found a way to get in and out but could also inadvertantly alter them but, if they altered the books did they really just link into a different coexisting world on the same plane? shock.gif unsure.gif

did that make any sense whatsoever?
Dave III
About as much as I did. roll.gif

I think the easiest thing to do is simply say, "They Link." Any further than that and we bring the whole thing down around our ears.

Kind of a suspension of disbelief sort of thing. ^_^

Dave III
Tweek
ok. Ages are places that Have exist do exist or will exist..anywhere through time and space. Writing a linking book book does just that Link to an age not create it..it forms a bridge...burn the book your burn the bridges to the age. The Age continues to exist.

Atrus didnt burn the books his sons did...they also didnt cause the worlds to change what ever changes happened were either natural or from direct involvment from the sons.

Tweek
trickster721
There are two kinds of books, Linking Books and Descriptive Books. You write the Age in the Descriptive book, and make all your changes in it. Once you've written an Age, you can write Linking Books to it by copying parts of the Descriptive Book. You can write as many Linking Books as you want, and destroying them has no effect on the Age or the Descriptive Book. You can only write a Linking Book to the place you're standing when you write it.

Once a Descriptive book is written, you can make changes to it, by writing more. These changes will actually effect the world that the book links to. If you make changes that contradict what's already written, the world and the link can become unstable. Changes made like this can't be undone. Erasing anything from a book shifts the link to a different, simmilar Age.

Once a Descriptive book is destroyed, by fire or acid or whatever, the Age is lost forever. It's assumed that the Age isn't damaged, though.

Click here to view a spoiler.
YORAM
There stays the question: is the Age created by the book or describes it an existing world ?

When Shomat finds creatures in his Garden Age, they were not described in the book. So where did they come from then ?
Dave III
QUOTE (YORAM @ Feb 20 2004, 02:58 PM)
When Shomat finds creatures in his Garden Age, they were not described in the book. So where did they come from then ?

That's always been the most convincing argument that the worlds pre-exist, for me at least. If the world was created, and those creatures are found there, where /did/ they come from?

The same thing happens to Atrus in BoA with Inception- There were birds that Atrus never wrote in. If I remember correctly, he'd never even heard of birds before that moment. So how /could/ he have? And, more importantly, where did they come from?

Dave III
L'lee
QUOTE (Tweek @ Feb 19 2004, 11:32 PM)
Atrus didnt burn the books his sons did...they also didnt cause the worlds to change what ever changes happened were either natural or from direct involvment from the sons.

Tweek

But at the end of Myst, when Atrus is freed from his D'ni prison and comes back to Myst, he does appear to have burned Sirrus' and Achenar's prison books... hence the scorch marks on the book stands.
kurtg1265
QUOTE (Myst-ee @ Feb 20 2004, 02:36 PM)
QUOTE (Tweek @ Feb 19 2004, 11:32 PM)

Tweek

But at the end of Myst, when Atrus is freed from his D'ni prison and comes back to Myst, he does appear to have burned Sirrus' and Achenar's prison books... hence the scorch marks on the book stands.

The two prison books his sons were in he did burn to keep them from being released again . I think his sons would still be ok , just no-one can link to them or release them now without the books . I would also think that if someone was able to write another linking book to where they were , that they could technically be released once again , providing it hasnt been so long that they have died .
Tweek
Ah yes Atrus burnt the Red and Blue books...sorry I thought you were refering to the books on the library shelf.

Tweek
Malika
Thanks, Tweek. I was trying to figure out what the dynamics of the books really implied.
D'anak
*wishfully thinking....*

I have said this elsewhere, but if there was anyone capable of writing a new link....... It could be Yeesha...

...the motivation may be there as well...

THEN....... When they named the new shard "Achenar"!!!... I really thought I was onto something...

...she certainly has the ego to believe she could control the outcome of such an experiment...
thumbsup.gif
Corona
The 2 black books...

trickster721
laugh.gif

"Bring me the red markers! Do not touch the green Bahro stone!"
Gadren
"do not trust the DRC, i beg of you. I have been wrongfully imprisoned..."

"I warn you, do not trust Sharper, he is a liar! He murdered his father!"
CAGrayWolf
QUOTE (Gadren @ Feb 21 2004, 06:32 PM)
"I warn you, do not trust Sharper, he is a liar! He murdered his father!"

No ... but he did murder someone else ... shock.gif

*fixed typo
brokenbonz02
would that been Shroomie or the tree?
Stungthumbz
I think the linking books we know of have pages behind the pictures that we cannot access. If we could, perhaps we could "change" the worlds they link to.

Most likely, there are infinite possible worlds, and by defining them in books, they are brought into being. This is very like the ancient Greek arguments that all reality is ultimately defined in the mind. "I think, therefore I am".

When a linking book is destroyed, such as what happened to the red and blue books in Myst, I think the contact with that world is severed. In essence, then, the book world and all that's in it no longer exists in the framework of the author's world. It might still exist in the framework of it's own world, but it is no longer manifest to us. Sort of like where the candle flame goes when you blow it out.

The special thing about Yeesha is she appears able to actually write new aspects of worlds, like the Relto, which have "built in" link points, which is why the Yeesha pages work without a book. I think she learned this partly from the Bahro, who seem able to create links on cloth. Remember the one that was cut? I think the Bahro cloths are actually physical holograms.

linking.gif
kurtg1265
QUOTE (trickster721 @ Feb 20 2004, 11:57 AM)
There are two kinds of books, Linking Books and Descriptive Books. You write the Age in the Descriptive book, and make all your changes in it. Once you've written an Age, you can write Linking Books to it by copying parts of the Descriptive Book. You can write as many Linking Books as you want, and destroying them has no effect on the Age or the Descriptive Book. You can only write a Linking Book to the place you're standing when you write it.

Once a Descriptive book is written, you can make changes to it, by writing more. These changes will actually effect the world that the book links to. If you make changes that contradict what's already written, the world and the link can become unstable. Changes made like this can't be undone. Erasing anything from a book shifts the link to a different, simmilar Age.

Once a Descriptive book is destroyed, by fire or acid or whatever, the Age is lost forever. It's assumed that the Age isn't damaged, though.

Trickster actually describes the situation pretty good .

Altering a linking book would not alter the world in any way . To do that you would have to alter the descriptive book . The descriptive books are usually put away and not readily available . Locked away for safe keeping , so to speak .

As for the linking books , it is possible to have more than one that links to a certain age . Therefore unless all are destroyed it would still be possible to link there . Also , technically , a new linking book could be written to go back to the age the linking books were destroyed for , providing you had access to the descriptive book .
raiden
The worlds never change it is just when you add something or take away something it creates a link to a totally diffrent world. So, in the book of Atrus when Gehn "fixed" that age for Atrus it created a totally new link to a totally diffrent world. So, the cells that his sons were trapped in were not destroyed but just the links. I don't think he would have done it if it meant killing his own 2 sons.
DaDungeon
Dr Tinkyl here.
This discussion has caused the Olde Memorie Bankes in ZeSwamp to fire up.

Back in the Daze B.U. (Before Uru) . . .
there were many discussions on The Lyst about quantum theories . . .
and our "takes" were many and varied.

It took a multitude of "explanations" . . .
before the majority of the Lysters . . .
who actually followed the sometimes heated . . .
sometimes VERY long-winded . . .
discussions to have a personal working concept of D'ni-ish "linking theory".

It all seemed to have sprung from two starting points . . .

Discussions about RAWA's take on Schroedinger's Cat . . .
and the thousand monkeys who eventually came up with . . .
a typewritten duplicate of Shakespeare's entire works.

The concept floated by . . .
(wait for it . . . )
DahLahboahdahtoahdy of D'niet Cola and Gorton's Cajun Blackened Grilled Fillets . . .

was Dr Tinkyl's River Pattern Model . . .
(RPM, yeah . . . )

RPM is much like D'ni's Great Tree of Possibilities . . .
but flowing across from the smallest places outward . . .
instead of flowing upward from the largest places to the smallest.

(Unless one includes the tree's root system . . .
which does change it to a vertical parallel to the RPM)

The RPM begins at a single point and expands outward to the hugeness of the whole realm of infinite (for practical purposes) destinations.

It begins with the initial writer . . .
subjective . . .
first person Point of View (POV).

The writer creates the DESCRIPTIVE book.
The wellspring of the flow.
(or -- a feeder root in the tree)

It is set down in a location that most closely matches . . .
whatever the writer entered onto the special paper with the special ink . . .
which makes up the DESCRIPTIVE book.

It is chosen by whatever rules the initial D'ni-ish linking process uses . . .
to sort and finally choose a particular location.

This location is chosen from the Tree of Possibilities' realm of parallel universes . . .
and its parallel realm of points in time.

The match becomes set into place . . .
with the writer's last entry into the DESCRIPTIVE book's pages.

Then comes the forging of links for travelers between the location of the DESCRIPTIVE book and the location of its chosen AGE.

With the D'ni's routine . . .

one that is initally blind to the destination chosen by the DESCRIPTIVE book . . .
this forging is normally via the Maintainer's Guild . . .

whose official "explorer" . . .

clad in a barrier/protective shell called a Maintainer's Suit . . .
with a built-in linking book back to the suit's start point on a timer . . .

takes the first trip via the DESCRIPTIVE book.

Once the Maintainer Suited explorer is auto-returned to his starting point . . .
and makes his report on the DESCRIPTIVE book's choice for destination Age . . .
and it is determined to be a safe and stable place . . .
worthy of further visiting . . .

the newly forged link to the newly discovered world is made accessible to others.
This involves the writing of LINKING books.

LINKING books are permanently tied to the DESCRIPTIVE book from which it is derived.

Another explorer . . .
likely the Maintainer's Guild again . . .
uses the DESCRIPTIVE book once more to forge a link to the New Age.

This explorer carries one or more LINKING books along.
They are blank.
Waiting for input.
Not yet functional.

Once at the destination location . . .
in the New Age . . .
on the world chosen by the DESCRIPTIVE book . . .
the explorer finds a good place to use as a linking in point.

There . . .
physically at that place . . .
the LINKING book is written.

Each LINKING book written will forever link to the same place . . .
at which it was written . . .
the same location in the Age . . .
the same point on the world chosen by the DESCRIPTIVE book . . .

as long as the DESCRIPTIVE book . . .
to which it is unalterably tied . . .
exists.

Here comes an element of the River Pattern Model.
The RPM . . .
the flow.
TIME.

Any use of the LINKING book advances the History of the linker . . .
and the Age . . .
by that linker's experiences . . .
and subsequent passings on of those experiences to someone else.

The Age History's flow in time.

Everything behind a point in time for this Age History . . .
for this explorer . . .
for recipients of this explorer's experiences . . .
is hardened . . .
unchanging.

All would look back and see the same thing.

However . . .
(a BIG however . . . )
forward . . .
ahead of the point . . .
is another story.

CHOICES.
Branching.

Choices of paths taken.
Choices of fate.

Choices by explorer.
Choices by the recipients of knowledge of the Age's History.
Choices by the natural evolution of the Age, the world.

The Age to which the DESCRIPTIVE book . . .
as currently written . . .
is forever locked.

As is its past History.

The DESCRIPTIVE book itself cares not what happens in time's river-flow.
After the link is forged . . .
it is what it is.

It will forever link to this one world . . .
this one Age . . .
no matter what happens to the Age itself.

But there is that other choice.

A writer's change to the DESCRIPTIVE book.

If you guys wish it . . .
further expansion of DaDungeon's "take" on linking . . .
can be posted.

This post is already waaaaaaay long.

Another can be put out there for the effects of that Other Choice.

Let me know here on this thread . . .
if you wish a next installment of . . .
The Linking According to Tinkyl.
YORAM
Holy Ballony is there a professor in the room ? shock.gif

Please DA that's much too long for us chickenbrains. tongue.gif And we from the other side of the ocean have to translate it too you know. bash.gif
Corona
Yoram, that wasn't long. Don't forget, it's very skinny & has lots of spaces.

Tink, as poetically versed as you are, that was the best, most down to Earth explanation I have heard of the Descriptive and Linking books. clapping.gif worship.gif
I'd love to read your post about "Descriptive book changes". biggrin.gif
YORAM
Ok thanks Corona. biggrin.gif

I'll read the spaces then. roll.gif roll.gif roll.gif
kurtg1265
QUOTE (DaDungeon @ Feb 29 2004, 01:55 PM)
If you guys wish it . . .
further expansion of DaDungeon's "take" on linking . . .
can be posted.

This post is already waaaaaaay long.

Another can be put out there for the effects of that Other Choice.

Let me know here on this thread . . .
if you wish a next installment of  . . .
The Linking According to Tinkyl.

By all means enlighten us some more . I always love reading Tinks posts . They are always informative and so creatively written . thumbsup.gif biggrin.gif
Dragonflymale
Tink...I see you are "viewing" this thread as I write.
Please do continue.
I have always held to the same explanation you express so well.
Corona
Yes, please! innocent.gif

I love your posts. They're beautiful. And informative!
DaDungeon
Hmmmm . . .

Yoram uses the letters D and A . . .
joined at the hip . . .
"DA"

"What does this stand for?", Professor . . . erm -- Dr -- Tinkyl asks curiously . . .
possibly naively.

DeviantArt dot com?
Debtors Anonymous?
Defence Alliance?
District Attorney?
Department of Agriculture
DA, asteroid 1950?
Desk Accessories?
Dark Age?
back half of "uff DA!"? -- which sometimes means a sort of "then" -- in Norwegian?
Digital Anarchy?
Dutch Assault?

OK.
I'll try to make this one . . .
less spatially challenged . . .
post-wise.

Part Next
of Dr Tinkyl's Take on D'ni-ish Linking Process.

Changes make trouble.

Anything from a minor detail . . .
which could possibly rear up and follow chaos theory . . .
to yield unexpected, utterly different final effects.

To total and absolute obliteration of the Age . . .
the world . . .
attached to the DESCRIPTIVE book.

But how does it do this?
Affect these changes.

The writer who injects more detail . . .
or alters detail already set into the DESCRIPTIVE book . . .
does this.

Again . . .
The DESCRIPTIVE book itself cares not.

The "matching up of an Age" process will start over . . .
going through the sorting and selection process . . .
whatever that actually is.

The CHANGED DESCRIPTIVE book re-chooses . . .
from the infinite realm of possible Ages available . . .
in spatial universes . . .
and in time.

And if the writer who so audaciously
so carelessly . . .
fiddles with a working DESCRIPTIVE book . . .
is reeeeeeaaaaally reeeeaaaaallly lucky . . .

the resulting choice made by the CHANGED DESCRIPTIVE book is one . . .
in which all Histories also match . . .
and the Age now attached to the CHANGED DESCRIPTIVE book . . .

differs only in the sudden addition . . .
from whatever cause . . .
of the writer's non-ordered . . .
injected parameters.

In this luckiest of lucky choice of new Age . . .
chosen by the CHANGED DESCRIPTIVE book . . .
all Histories . . .
all events . . ,
all traveler Histories . . .
all recipients of information about the Age associated with the DESCRIPTIVE book. . .

will be identical . . .
and the point in the flow of RPM . . .
in time . . .
on the River Pattern Model . . .
will also match the histories developed with . . .
the ORIGINAL DESCRIPTIVE book's Age.

The "thousand monkey" thing in action . . .
the entire works of Shakespeare . . .errrm -- the ORIGINAL DESCRIPTIVE book . . .
is duplicated . . .
except now there are also those changed things injected by the writer.
The monkeys added 'em.

When any of those knowing about the Age look back from their point in the flow of the River Pattern Model . . .
Ole RPM . . .
they will still see the same thing.

Additions to Histories begin coming with the next use . . .
of the original LINKING book(s) associated with the original DESCRIPTIVE book.

When a traveler makes that first link to the "identical" linking-in point . . .
in the CHANGED DESCRIPTIVE book's different Age.

When the first observation of changes . . .
on this "identical but for the changes" Age . . .
occurs.

"Schroedinger's Cat" . . .
now in action.

After the writer messing around with a DESCRIPTIVE book . . .
triggers a CHANGED DESCRIPTIVE book's re-choosing of an Age . . .

the LINKING book will send a traveler . . .
to a "calculated as identical" location in the different Age . . .

possibly to a physical set of coordinates which no longer exists . . .
or is now exceedingly dangerous . . .

maybe miles high -- in mid-air . . .
or in a city -- in the middle of a large gathering of the Re-chosen Age's inhabitants . . .
or within the innards of a mountain range -- plopped into a pocket of molten lava . . .
or at the bottom of a body of who knows what kind of liquid . . .
or inches from meal-seeking dagger-like teeth . . .
or inside the workings of some mechanical construct . . .
which, in doing its "normal" operations . . .
does not balk at "processing" a living traveler.

Possibilities for disasters in this type of blind linking are mind-boggling.

The next to worst scenario:
the changes generate a link to a world . . .
in which sudden and complete . . .
disintegration of the world . . .
due to a set of sudden changes . . .
matching those dreamed up by that incredibly non-forward-looking . . .
dangerous writer . . .
are set to occur.

However, the CHANGED DESCRIPTIVE book has chosen a point in time . . .
prior to the complete annihilation of the newly-linked Age.
And the traveler is able to link back out . . .
mostly alive.

The worst scenario:
the traveler links into . . .
either the Age's annihilation itself . . .
or the void left in its place in time and space . . .
immediately AFTER the disaster.

all this WITHOUT a Maintainer Suit . . .
set to automatically . . .
immediately . . .
return the traveler to the Suit's point of departure in a safe location . . .
in a Maintainer's Guild Age.

Also . . .
apart from the physical effects of these sudden re-choosings . . .
by CHANGED DESCRIPTIVE books . . .
to worlds of "different than normal" evolutions . . .
are possibilities . . .

though infinitely small . . .
for practical purposes . . .

that the Age chosen by the CHANGED DESCRIPTIVE book . . .
may have "less than totally identical" Histories associated with it.

Those monkeys made parallel reality typos.

And THAT is where various "D'ni-ish linking theory" interpretations bog down.
Again and again.

Maybe the traveler is sent . . .
by the LINKING book . . .
which is now associated with a CHANGED DESCRIPTIVE book . . .
into an Age with History that is NOT identical . . .
to the History of the Age associated . . .
with the ORIGINAL DESCRIPTIVE book.

Maybe there are odd differences . . .
surreal elements . . .
things that do not make sense . . .
disobey familiar laws of physics . . .
anomalies . . .
maybe even a native population of ZZZippy duplicates . . .
or Tink running the joint.

HOWEVER, according to Tinkyl . . .
once the traveler uses a DIFFERENT LINKING book . . .
which IS SUPPOSED TO ACCOMPANY EVERY TRAVELER . . .

the one bound to the particular DESCRIPTIVE book . . .
associated with the Age to which the traveler wishes to use for linking back out . . .

once the traveler uses that OTHER LINKING book . . .
he/she is taken to the Age in which that OTHER LINKING book was written . . .
and re-enters familiar Histories . . .
correct places.

Once that first return is successfully made . . .
any bizarre wierdnesses of an odd Age associated . . .
with a CHANGED DESCRIPTIVE book . . .
and any resulting peculiar Histories . . .
are added to the familiar flow of points along the River Pattern Model.

All those associated in any way . . .
with the knowledge of these bizarre places . . .
can, thus, still look back . . .
along their Histories . . .
and see the same thing.

Additions have been made.

No loss is experienced . . .
unless, of course . . .
the traveler . . .

for whatever reason . . .

DOES NOT use that OTHER LINKING book . . .
the one he/she SHOULD HAVE BEEN CARRYING . . .
to return to an established . . .
known Age.

Now . . .
a wrinkle Tinkyl wondered about . . .

What if the DESCRIPTIVE book to which that OTHER LINKING book is bound . . .
the one associated with the Age to which the traveler plans to link back . . .

what if it is changed . . .
while the traveler is off Age . . .
or before the traveler knows about any changes made?

Uh-oh.
Thinking time in DaDungeon.
Gas masks issued.

THE TINKYL INITIAL INCLINATION . . .
leans toward that distinct possibility for a lost traveler.

The traveler who "returns" to such a changed Age better be a lucky . . .
or "OK with all kinds of changes" one.

Hopefully the Histories to which the traveler now "returns" . . .
will be similar enough that the traveler can . . .
successfully re-integrate with the altered Age's point in the River Pattern Model's flow . . .
and still see recognizable History elements . . .
an Age History similar to tthe one which had been seen before.

But the traveler who returns to a severely altered Age?
An Age which maybe does not include any History of the traveler at all . . .
or one which already contains a duplicate version of the traveler . . .
or even an Age which is now non-existent.

Bad news.
Trouble for Traveler.
Incredible difficulties coming to terms with such sweeping changes . . .
maybe unable to assimilate them . . .
a permanently boggled mind.
Maybe refusal on the part of the altered Age's population if D'ni to accept this sudden intrusion by an "unknown" traveler.
Maybe perception as a threat by a duplicate version of the traveler . . .
or refusal by linking-enabled levels of D'ni society to accept the doppelganger traveler.
Maybe sudden extinguished traveler who cannot link out of the vacuum of empty space.

Baaaaaad Writer . . .
who changes a descriptive book!

Negligent writer!

Should be treated as a criminal!

That is first tendency from Tinkyl, anyway.

OOF!
Tangled ain't it?

*Dr Tinkyl now becomes a non-typing 'monkey'*

Edit: the spelling gremlin strikes again!"
YORAM
roll.gif roll.gif roll.gif roll.gif roll.gif

Ok, Ok,

I surrender. surrender.gif

I'll take some extra classes. beer.gif beer.gif drunk.gif drunk.gif whistling.gif
Corona
Okay......now that was long! shock.gif roll.gif
But fascinating. sorcerer.gif Laboahdatoahdy. biggrin.gif
Synch
The sad thing is it made sense to my poor poor brain headbang.gif
I remember spending about 5 mins of thought in this area when the books came out.
Stungthumbz
Wonderful DaDungeon! worship.gif

What follows is not really a spoiler just some ideas I have, but some might not want to speculate in this way:

Odysseus
Well, I was gonna do my "pinned experience" description of how linking works, but it looks like Tink is already down with that with her very artful style...

One idea that I had while reading this thread is that burning a descriptive book makes many changes to the book simultaneously before the book itself breaks down and becomes useles.

Many of those changes would be of the "rewrite" kind or "against the timeflow" or however you say it and would cause the descriptive book to link to a different Age.

But

What happens if the first few seconds that the book burns, the "changes" that are made are considered minor enough to affect the linked world? If you were in a world while it was being burned, would you know something happened if all the clouds suddenly turned bright aquamarine?
DaDungeon
Dr Tinkyl is still in the building . . .
and has an irresisitible urge to comment on Odysseus' intriguing conjecture:
One idea that I had while reading this thread is that burning a descriptive book makes many changes to the book simultaneously before the book itself breaks down and becomes useles.
If you were in a world while it was being burned, would you know something happened if all the clouds suddenly turned bright aquamarine?

This is a different flavor of change . . .
subtractive . . .
not additive.

But it IS change . . .

And Dr Tinkyl allows speculative stream of consciousness to flow . . .

Don't think you would see or feel or experience ANYTHING . . .
other than maybe watching . . .
or trying to stop . . .
the destruction of YOUR burning descriptive book.

The DESCRIPTIVE book is doing the switching of links . . .
to different Ages . . .
and maybe some are in a different RPM flow of time . . .

but not "you".

There may be a duplicate "you" . . .
on one or more of the Ages through which the rapid successive links slide.

That version of a different "you" might indeed see the effects . . .
of what is only happening on that "you's" Age . . .
a response to something evolving in THAT Age.

Each "you" existing on one of the successive Ages is independent of any other "you" on any of the other Ages .

They are all self-contained places.

The ONLY connection is that the BURNING DESCRIPTIVE book in YOUR Age . . .
has made a fleeting connection to each one in turn . . .
as it is progressively damaged.

And certainly one "you" on one of these OTHER Ages may see an aquamarine cloud brightening above his startled eyes . . .

but all THAT "you" would know is:
"Whoa! What is THAT?!"

Yeah . . .
that's Dr Tinkyl's take on it.

P.S. Just for new European friend Yoram . . .
*smiles with small indulgence of minor mischief*

YORAM
Well Dr. DA thank you for the link. biggrin.gif

I was number 0006. So perhaps some of our fellow greeters can charge it up a bit.

I liked the e-mailclicky. clapping.gif
Stungthumbz
Thanks for the link DaDungeon. I was number 9, so it does count up. Wonderful background. More coming soon, hopefully? clapping.gif
kurtg1265
#10 here . biggrin.gif Another informative writing from Tink . clapping.gif

One thing I did nitice though , not with that link , is when clicking on Dadungeon above your siggy I get this :

Page Not Found.

Sorry, the page you requested does not exist

or has been moved.  Please check to make sure

that the URL you entered is correct.

Is the rest of your site down at the moment ? This also appears to be the Tinkings link I have saved in my favorites , I get the same thing . Although my favorites link to jDaisy's Mindseye still works . But I will let you direct everyone there if you wish .
DaDungeon
Not sure this is the right place to post all this . . .
but I'm sure the mods or admins will corral it . . .
if it's not supposed to be here.

Tinkings is down for ANOTHER major "moving the furniture around and getting some different curtains" mode.

Happens a lot on the Goofedy website.

It passes.

Eventually . . .
when jDaisy's Ole Mental EnglishWheel comes round to the page again.

The ones still up . . .
and DaMob hasn't confirmed this . . .
just going by what floats up outta ZeSwamp . . .

Also Note: Many are in somewhat unsettling states of disarray . . .
i.e. some dead links not yet culled . . .
or still in first-draft mode . . .
other stuff like that . . .
and follow Tinkian motion as far as subject matter goes . . .
so be aware.

are:
DaHomePage
BiRD
bubinga
Goofedy Garage Sale
Ma'kluft
Mindseye
Mining in the Marbles
The Sound
ZeSwamp

new bits or pieces are liable to pop in and out at any time.

P.S. The waaay huge fullsize jpeg version of DaDungeon'sOle Lysters Memories Collageand Schizm collage. . .
along with the other DaDungeon artisan type stuff associated with Tinkings are likely going to show up in ZeSwamp at some point in the future.

Still thinking about where to put the Steffan Snodgrass' Riven sub collageI had posted on Tinkings.

jDaisy
Head Pilot for The Mental Mob
running around in DaDungeon
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.