Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hardest puzzle in Riven?
Guild of Greeters > Ages of Myst (including all Myst games and related media) > General Discussion - Not Puzzle Help > Riven: The Sequel to Myst
Iehova
Cast your votes, folks.

My vote goes to the firemarble puzzle.
Arowin
The thing that got me stuck the longest with Riven was that stupid fire marble puzzle. I had no idea you had to press that middle button thingy as well.... Grrrr
jordarkelf
Tritto for the firemarbles.

Although in time the first puzzle took me the longest -- I overlooked the button for months.
CAGrayWolf
For me ... and still true for every poll on this topic ... it is still the Map Puzzle on Survey Island. I understood what I was to do but could not get the coordinates ... and without the coordinates I could not even begin to think about the Fire Marble puzzle.

I think what I finally did was using maps from the overlook on Survey ... I "guessed" the locations of the domes and then placed the Fire Marbles based on that ... along with what I had already learned of the colors. whistling.gif
Synch
cosidering I played Riven on a computer that was only meant for Myst.....
The hardest part for me was playing the darn game!
Kath
I started playing Riven again (hadn't played it since it came out) and got stuck AGAIN on the fire marble puzzle! I swear my mind has left for parts unknown... It's bad to get stuck the first time but to get hung up after you had gotten through it is mortifying!!!
yakuza-911
the place that i got stuck really wasnt a puzzle. i got stuck at the place you were supposed topush this oraneg round button right in front of that big wodden grashopper looking thing. i really didnt know where to go until i got a hint from a book about that little button.
Shadowcats
The hardest part for me was not in any puzzles but changing the Cd's.
Most of the time my CD Drive would not recognize the disc and had to restart so many times.
Till I bought a new CD Drive months later. smile.gif
DaDungeon
The hardest puzzle in Riven . . .
for DaDungeon was getting it figured out what it was . . .
I thought I saw . . .
suddenly fly out over the water . . .
from the direction of Gehn's lab . . .
and swoop on over to the horizon.

I think I noodled with re-start after restart . . .
replaying the game to the same place . . .
until I finally got a game in which it would reliably fly.

I celebrated being not quite as nutzoid as previously thought . . .
when I did figure out what it was.
kurtg1265
QUOTE (DaDungeon @ Jun 22 2004, 06:56 PM)
I celebrated being not quite as nutzoid as previously thought  . . .

So ............. are you gonna leave us hangin ? What was it that you saw ?

I must say that the firemarble puzzle did give me a bit of a hard time also .
Darian
Shorah,
I have to toss in my wrestling match with Riven for the survey. I had finally solved the puzzle and put all the right marbles in the right places, not knowing that I had the right solution. I thought that I had to get into the room underneath the fire marble puzzle, which caused me to believe that I had failed to solve the @#$%^ thing for several days. Duuuuuuuuhhhhhhhh! verymad.gif blink.gif down.gif angry.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif , but the hardest thing for me was to determine the correct creatures to sink in the stone tablet puzzle. I just didn't see what was there to be seen.
jordarkelf
QUOTE (yakuza-911 @ Jun 22 2004, 11:36 PM)
that big wodden grashopper looking thing.

The Wahrk idol? A grasshopper? lmao.gif
trickster721
That stupid fish-shaped reflection in the Moiety animal scavenger hunt. I wouldn't have spotted that in a million years.
Synch
I seemed to have no problems with the fire marble puzzle. I found them all on the grid and placed the proper colors in the proper place. Not terribly tough if you ask me wink3.gif
Mysti Sage
Really, Riven was fairly easy for me(no, I didn't get any help from anyone or where). The only thing in it that held me back for more than an hour or so was the stupid doors. Who would put a doorway behind another door??? After the first one though, I looked behind every single door in the game, so no more troubles. smile.gif
CAGrayWolf
QUOTE (trickster721 @ Jun 23 2004, 04:16 AM)
That stupid fish-shaped reflection in the Moiety animal scavenger hunt. I wouldn't have spotted that in a million years.

Yea ... this one stumped me as well and held me up for quite awhile. Wasn't until I ventured back through the cave to the MagLev to Temple Island that I saw the frog ... then thought *AHA* where have I seen something similar to this.

Then I was able to solve the animal puzzle.

QUOTE (Mysti Sage @ Jun 23 2004, 05:27 AM)
Who would put a doorway behind another door???

Someone who likes creating a devilish puzzle to keep you guessing and confused. bleh.gif Yes ... this was another area that help me up for quite something ... I knew there had to be a way into that room ... I just couldn't find it ... but then again I was looking for another pipe to crawl through. rolleyes.gif
DaDungeon
QUOTE (kurtg1265 @ Jun 22 2004, 09:05 PM)
QUOTE (DaDungeon @ Jun 22 2004, 06:56 PM)
I celebrated being not quite as nutzoid as previously thought  . . .

So ............. are you gonna leave us hangin ? What was it that you saw ?

I must say that the firemarble puzzle did give me a bit of a hard time also .

It was . . .

Click here to view a spoiler.
CAGrayWolf
I do remember this and was never sure if I was seeing things or not (shadup) and was never able to recreate it ... course this was one of two of my favorite *freeze* places ... the other was at the end of another tunnel.

Guaranteed my computer would lock up every time ... patch? yes I did ... my computer at that time just hard a hard time dealing with this game. blink.gif
Mysti Sage
Really, I thought that Riven was the hardest of all the games, even Uru. I think the most confounding part was two particular doors, though... I was just walking out onto that balcony like area, when I clicked too far to the left, and creeeaaak! I knew what to do the next time I found a door, though. wink3.gif
Puzzle Person
I thought the marbles were really easy. The only problem I had was the code to open the domes. I can't count past ten in D'ni and I had to start again untill I got a code less than ten. What does it mean when the number is turned sideways(I still can't count and I've beaten all of them exept PotS shy.gif )?
d'rbeh
Well, R'eeta, An'ni and I had difficulties all over Riven... frustrations with not remembering where we had "seen" things (An'ni was GREAT at this, but we lost her somewhere in the dark forest... never to be seen again... she more than likely is stil there somewhere), and so when we lost An'ni, we lost much of our memory, and we had to "jot down" everything that we came in contact with, and if any of you could see our "jottings", you'd note immediately that neither of us were born to be artists.

Which frustrated things further... long times later trying to DECIPHER our own writings, drawrings, etc...

The one that really stumped me was the fish reflection thing.. i just COULD NOT SEE it until the "day of the great epiphany" when i finally started to use my Myst-eyes...

Yep, a VERY challenging game and very frustrating to me.

salaam!

bye2.gif
Mysti Sage
QUOTE (Puzzle Person @ Aug 17 2004, 12:41 PM)
I thought the marbles were really easy. The only problem I had was the code to open the domes. I can't count past ten in D'ni and I had to start again untill I got a code less than ten. What does it mean when the number is turned sideways(I still can't count and I've beaten all of them exept PotS shy.gif )?

Each rotation or a symbol counter-clockwise multiplies it's value by five. So a two, ( the one that looks kind like this: |) | with a top and bottom bar) rotated so that the curve was on the bottom would become a ten. And a one would look like the five. See the detailed description at the D'ni Pedia Writers Guild here.
anubis137
The animal thing to get into the moiety age...

That was concentrated evil. I would never have found the fish w/o walkthrough...
CAGrayWolf
QUOTE (anubis137 @ Nov 13 2004, 10:34 AM)
The animal thing to get into the moiety age...

That was concentrated evil. I would never have found the fish w/o walkthrough...

lmao.gif I had the same problem ... took me a couple of years to finally complete Riven cause I always missed the *fish* until one day I happened to click and face the right direction ... then felt so stupid cause it was rather obvious that there *sould* have been a symbol near by if I had only followed the pattern. rolleyes.gif
Tyr-anun
It wasn't the fish shadow that tipped me off. I just took all the fish hanging around the huts as a clue. It wasn't until after I had solved the puzzle that I saw the shadow! Whatever works, I guess . . .
L'lee
QUOTE (Tyr-anun @ Nov 16 2004, 09:52 AM)
It wasn't the fish shadow that tipped me off. I just took all the fish hanging around the huts as a clue. It wasn't until after I had solved the puzzle that I saw the shadow! Whatever works, I guess . . .

Uh, huh! That's what I did! thumbsup.gif It wasn't till after I had finished and was reading the walkthrough to see if there was anything I missed that I found the fish clue in the little pool! laugh.gif I went, "huh! Interesting!" lmao.gif
Angustaff
I don't think there was a single puzzle that was not deeply frustrating for me. I t was like listening to music through a wall, when all you hear is the bass, and trying to figure out the tune! I always felt "left out" of the game conversation, like listening to a foreign language and never QUITE picking it up.

Yes, the walk-thru's found me visiting several times! blink.gif
Ken Telinome
The stone pedestal puzzle in the Moiety caves killed me. I never saw the fish. Still haven't to this day. Had to use a walkthrough to figure it out.
barbossa
I don't know.. i hated the overall firemarble puzzle. Trying to find the stupid locations...
D'anak
yup ... the fish was tough, but I eventually saw it....

...but then, even knowing what I was to look for didn't always help.

...I can't count the hundreds of times I went back and forth through that cave and NEVER saw the Frog on my own shy.gif

It was the first time I removed the "Security Seal" on my strategy guide (taped it up,... so I wouldn't cheat whistling.gif ).... when I realized it was the Frog that stumped me.... and it was Sooooo obvious once I saw it.... headbang.gif ... I just went and beer.gif beer.gif beer.gif drunk.gif
Butch
I'm sitting here, reading this thread and looking over to the shelf where the 10th anni DVD set it. By the 3rd post on pg 2, I'm holding the DVD (sorry, Cats, I'm gonna cheat on the disk flipping).

Great, now you guys have me installing it just to play it again.
Thanks.

Oh well, something to tide me over till Live is, ummm, live.
D'anak
Great idea Butch thumbsup.gif

*pulls out DVD*

(insert Linking sound Here.......)

...can't wait to go sneak up on the Sunners again whistling.gif
Butch
Three days 2-1/2 hours from the last post to this one.

So, now that I'm prepared to answer the question, there really is only two puzzles in Riven: fire marbles and the combination to Tay. Everything else is given to you by Catherine or Ghen.
Fire marbles appears to be the puzzle at the core of the game. Getting colors and positions worked out is really what I spent most of my time doing.
The combination to the Tay book was hard because I couldn't remember/find all the orbs: 5, 3 & 2 were easy. 4 I remembered from before (that it was used, not that it was 4th). Orb 1, took me about an hour of running around to figure that out.

So I would say I had a harder time with Tay than I did with fire marbles, but fire marbles was the harder puzzle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.