Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can't get back to Ahnonay 4
Guild of Greeters > Ages of Myst (including all Myst games and related media) > General Discussion - Not Puzzle Help > URU: Ages Beyond Myst > Path of the Shell Ages > Ahnonay
dadguy
I reported this in another topic, so apologies for the repeat...

I have a problem (bug). I finished the game then used the Ahnonay Sphere shifting tools to get back to the Yeesha page that was behind on of the mechanical room doors (Ahnonay 2?).

Now that I have done this, I can't get back to Ahnonay 4 anymore !!

I have tried multiple times, but each time I link from Ahnonay 1 island to Relto to use the Ahnonay Link Book shell cloth (which should take me to the mechanical room of Ahnanoy 4), I return to the mechanical room of Ahnonay 1. When I did the same procedure in the game, it took me to the mechanical room of Ahnonay 4.

Anyone else locked out of Ahnonay 4 after finishing the game?

Dadguy
LaReh
Here's the sure-fire way to get back to Ahnonay 4.
Has worked every time for me, so far at least.

1. Go to Ahnonay 1, swim to Tower, pull LEFT switch. Hear huge rumblings.
2. Swim to "waterworks" in the distance. Touch "shell-save-point".
3. Run to BIG DOOR, pull switch there. Hear huge rumblings again.
4. Link out to Relto.
5. Open Ahnonay Book, use "shell-save" bookmark.
6. This links you to Ahnonay 4's "waterworks".
7. Run to BIG DOOR and pull switch. Hear huge rumblings and stand back.
8. Door opens.
9. To return to Ahnonay 4's main area, with the Kadish statue, just
link back to Relto and use the linking panel of the Ahnonay Book.

Good luck!
cool.gif
dadguy
Yes, I tried this. Everything as you say except the big door door switch in Ahnanoy 1 makes no huge rumbling... it just "clanks" once. I keep getting sent to Ahnanoy 1's maintenance room again when I hit the shell-save bookmark instead of Ahnanoy 4's.

I am stuck!

Dadguy
LaReh
OK! I think I've got it! You need to hit the Tower switch again, then repeat the rest, until you get the huge rumbling at the Big Door switch. Your Ahnonay system is out of sync and needs more rotating until you hit the right combo again.
Kehrin
I also noticed that you have to use the switch in the tower first every time you want to use the switch near the big door in the maintenance area. It's as if the tower switch powers the maintenance door switch.

smile.gif
dadguy
Kehrin and LaReh, what great greeters you are!

OK, I believe you have given me the solution... I started again assuming that I had already stopped the strong water current and pulled the other switch in the Tower. After having no luck, I read your comments, so I went back to the tower again to pull the switch again. Indeed, I got the big rumble LaReh mentioned. After that everything worked as expected. Thank you.

A note to others... some of the walkthroughs (and indeed, the Prima official game guide) would have you think that linking via the island books then the Ahnonay temple book will advance you through Sphere 1, then 2, then 3, then 4. But if you find you are skipping Sphere 4, try Kehrin and LaReh's suggestion of "repowering the Maintenance door switch" with the Tower Switch.

Thanks,

Dadguy
coelho_buda
Dadguy, did you even try reading my walkthrough? It's free, it's on the GoG site and it would have solved your problem. rolleyes.gif
dadguy
Hey coelho_buda, yes I read your walkthrough. It was what got me in trouble, because I followed your guide to get the Relto page in Maintenance Room #2 AFTER I had finished the game.

Until then I was able to move from the 1st Sphere to the 4th Sphere maintenance
using the shell-cloth link in the Ahnonay book. Now, after restarting the game, I could no longer get there... the shell-cloth link that was taking me to the 4th Sphere maintenance room was now taking me to the 1st Sphere maintenance room.

What I was missing was NEED to the re-visit to the tower to hit that switch again. You include the re-visit to the tower in that "final link dance" section, but it was not clear to me that I would need to re-hit the tower switch again (or why) to get back to the 4th Sphere. Indeed, some other walkthroughs aren't specific about this.

Nice job on your walkthrough, though. Amazing how fast you got it out!

Thanks,

Dadguy
coelho_buda
I explain at the beginning of section 3.4 that you need to pull the lever at the tower to power the other lever... I guess I should have restated that further down. I admit that after all that goes on on that Age, people will become confused and forget what they did before and/or the why of doing it.
G_ildor
Let me take a quick stab at explaining *why* you have to pull the tower switch again--it's not that it just magically "powers" the door switch; it actually makes more sense than that.

The tower switch rotates the spheres "forward" one notch (skipping 4), each time it is pulled--that is pulling the tower switch rotates from 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 1, etc. in succession.

The function of the door switch(s) in the maintenance room(s), however, is to rotate the sphere for whatever maintenance room you're in into the link-in position. So pulling the switch in maintenance room 4, for example, rotates sphere 4 into the link-in position.

Now if you just swim to maintenance room 1 without pulling the tower switch first, it does nothing; not because it is "unpowered", but because sphere 1 is already in position. Once you've pulled the tower switch and rotated sphere 2 into the link-in position, then pulling the door switch rotates sphere 1 back into position.

The reason touching the shell cloth later takes you to maintenance room 4 is that after you've pulled the tower switch, sphere 1 (the one you're in) isn't in the link-in position any more--it's one "ahead". After you've pulled the door switch (which rotates sphere 1 back into the link-in poaition), the cloth still links one sphere "ahead"--now to sphere 4.

Finally, pulling the door switch in maintenance room 4 rotates sphere 4 to the link-in position (the only way this can be done), and so now you can link to it.

Follow that? smile.gif Hope it helps...
LaReh
QUOTE (dadguy @ Jul 16 2004, 08:31 AM)
Kehrin and LaReh, what great greeters you are!

OK, I believe you have given me the solution...  I started again assuming that I had already stopped the strong water current and pulled the other switch in the Tower.  After having no luck, I read your comments, so I went back to the tower again to pull the switch again.  Indeed, I got the big rumble LaReh mentioned.  After that everything worked as expected.  Thank you.

A note to others...  some of the walkthroughs (and indeed, the Prima official game guide) would have you think that linking via the island books then the Ahnonay temple book will advance you through Sphere 1, then 2, then 3, then 4.  But if you find you are skipping Sphere 4, try Kehrin and LaReh's suggestion of "repowering the Maintenance door switch" with the Tower Switch.

Thanks,

Dadguy

Thanks DG! biggrin.gif I just can't stop Greeting! roll.gif

About walkthroughs and such, everything was just too rushed this time. It can take months for people to sort out everything that a MYST game has to offer, and
those who wrote walkthroughs this time around didn't have much lead time to
do so. POTS is a very complicated game and Ahnonay is the most complicated
Age within it. People are going to need help with this one for a loooooooong time
to come. So, All you Greeters out there.....man your battle stations!.....errrrr...
I mean chat room stations and get ready to rummmmmble....errr....I mean GREET! laugh.gif
RR_Caz
QUOTE (LaReh @ Jul 16 2004, 06:31 PM)
...So, All you Greeters out there.....man your battle stations!.....errrrr...
I mean chat room stations and get ready to rummmmmble....errr....I mean GREET!  laugh.gif

You da man Lareh, way to tell it! thumbsup.gif rock.gif
dadguy
Thank you all!! Excellent explanations. I love this game! I am enjoying exploring the minute details of the different spheres from different locations. In Ahnonay 4 on the main island there are some interesting scaffolds to explore off the circular path. They don't lead anywhere significant that I can find, but it is fun to explore. I saw all of the imagers LaReh referred to. Very nice.

I'd like to start building a list of interesting POTS tidbits like this... you know, stuff not required to finish the game, but cool none-the-less. I fell into the hole behind the rolling ball in the Watcher's Sanctuary today. Very interesting.

Dadguy
Kehrin
Thanks for the explanation, Gildor! Wow, it's even trickier than I'd thought! The intricacy of Ahnonay is amazing. There is so much to this game! worship.gif
sleeper
clapping.gif Thanx for the help. Got me right where I neded to be. Now I am having a problem seeing the pix when the pellets fall. Is there a special place to stand??
sleeper sleep2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.