Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spaceship
Guild of Greeters > Ages of Myst (including all Myst games and related media) > General Discussion - Not Puzzle Help > Myst, MME & realMyst
Dragonball161
Well, I've had the DVD collection for a little while, and have just broken them out again. I'm still stuck in Myst, specificly, on the spaceship. I just can't get the knobs in the right place.

I did the other ages, and was creeped out by the brothers in the tree-top age. *shudder* They are really weird. But I've been bringing both blue and red pages back to the books and watching the pictures get clearer. So I know what to do. I know what order the keys on the pipeorgan are to be pressed, and I get that they correspond to the other side of the ship, I just can't get it to match. I think I get it and I pull the switch only to hear them repeated.

Any hints on "getting it"? I'd really like to get through the set for Revelation.
jordarkelf
That puzzle is and was by far the most difficult one in the entire game!

Solution:
Click here to view a spoiler.

If you got them right, you will see something happen after the melody is played.
Dragonball161
I found those numbers by doing a google for Myst Walkthrough. But I think even my counter is off. I will go try 20 or more times.

I also put on headphones so I can hear it better.
jesster777
i've always found the last note was the hardest to dial, their choice of tonality was a dog, maybe an octave lower and it would have been easier. i was always low a note on the last one. counting wasnt the way i did it, it seemed that i'd slide too far just that it wasnt that easy to be that gradual. maybe my hands were just too big. heh
Dragonball161
They should of had us do this while we were waiting 15 minutes! laugh.gif

But yeah, the "switching" of the notes on the sliders soesn't click in my mind. I have the first note good, And I think I have the last one (by listining), but the higher ones seem out there...
mystmum
That's a mongrel of a puzzle. Not for difficulty in working it out, but in actually getting it right! The first time I did it I jagged on my first attempt...the second time it took me hours of messing with it!
Patience and perseverence is all I can recommend.
samsbase
i'm a musician so i found this one easiest lol
Mysti Sage
I am actually a fairly good pianist, so this was fairly easy for me. cool.gif biggrin.gif tongue.gif innocent.gif
Dragonball161
Well bleh.gif to you.

I'm taking another break from it. Maybe I'll get out my voice recorder and play back the tunes. rolleyes.gif
Dragonball161
The recorder didn't do a good job at "capturing" the sound that good. I'm just annoyed with this. I'm going onto Riven for now, but I'll be back when I feel more patient.
Corona
You need to borrow someones' Casio keyboard & use it when solving that puzzle.

Dang. They moved Alida's PC release date from July to August. Bast**ds. angry.gif
RAWA
You can imagine that this a question I'm asked often enough to have a cut and paste response to it. :)

Here's the advice I give:

Click here to view a spoiler.

Hope that helps,

RAWA
DaDungeon
Wow, Doc!

That's how I did it!

Cool.
racegirl
I had no trouble with this one (thought it was one of the easier puzzles). Not a musician and play no musical intruments, tho'. Maybe just a good ear for it.

That's the way I did it - 1 note at a time. cool.gif
Dragonball161
I am doing it one note at a time. Still no luck. And the slider counting 6, 20, 23, ... isn't working, I'll try setting it up on the keyboard, though.
racegirl
I did this again fairly recently, Danie - I'll see if I can find my notes for you.....
Shadowcats
I'll see if I can find my notes for you.....

Do-re-me-fa-so-la-ti.
*runs* roll.gif
racegirl
*sigh* rolleyes.gif

You've been watching too much "The Sound of Music"............ laugh.gif
samsbase
i'm quite lucky i can hold a pitch in my head for minutes at a time and i like to think i have relative pitch but i get the unfair advantage dont I wink3.gif
mystmum
She's awfully quiet...do you think she finally got the notes right or has she taken a bash.gif to her keyboard?
Dragonball161
I've been enjoying Riven.
Iehova
QUOTE (jordarkelf @ Jul 22 2004, 10:22 PM)
That puzzle is and was by far the most difficult one in the entire game!

Then I assume the Selenitic maze-runner was piece of cake, eh?
samsbase
that was very hard lol the maze running was IMPOSSIbLE took me like 2 days to do it. I completed URU PRIME AND XP1 in that time!!!
Tohno
You know, I don't think I ever thought along the lines of moving the sliders up or down to correlate exactly with the keys of the piano. Geeze. I always used the humming approach. Hehe.

And the maze-runner was easy...

Well...

If you had the patience for it. I think I simply did it once, and bringing back only one page, figuring I'll find out all I need from this guy and his book.

Then bought a strategy guide for the solution to bring back the other page.
jordarkelf
The Maze runner is easy! Once you realize what the sounds mean (you've heard them before after all).

I am not tone deaf or anything, but the !@#$ spaceship tone ladder puzzle is the most difficult puzzle in Myst from an execution point. It is not the most difficult puzzle from a logical point by far, but it is the one puzzle which for me is the most frustrating...
ellen6
It is the only puzzle I could not do, and had to have someone else do it for me.

the spaceship tone puzzle that is.
DaDungeon
Weird . . .
how one person notices one thing . . .
and another notices a different thing.

Tink hadda blast mapping the Maze Runner's routes . . .
and Dr. Tinkyl took a look very graciously at Tink's big ole map . . .
before graciously asking . . .
"Why didn't you just listen to the signals?"

Tink frowned at the other facet of The Mental Mob . . .
(yes, I TALK to myself!)

Then said, "What signals!?"

Tinkyl added some stuff to the map.

What came outta that session of Tink/DrTinkyl collusion:
DaRunnerMap
Caution: If you haven't run the MazeRunner in Myst/RealMyst yet . . .
it's a spoiler.
Mysti Sage
Neat mpa, Tink! I mapped it all out too, but no where near that nicely! worship.gif
ellen6
the maze was easy. I like your map, Tink, alot more organized than mine was. laugh.gif
I did notice the sounds at first but didn't comprehend them, then it was like duh.
Mysti Sage
laugh.gif

I think the easiest one was the organ one, tho. The maze wasn't really hard, but because I tried to map it, it was the longest. headbang.gif
mystmum
I found the hardest puzzle of Myst was figuring out what you were doing there in the first place. Took me two weeks to figure out I could get off the island!
Corona
i went bonkers for weeks because I had the Sega Saturn version where the tower elevator door hotspot was 1 pixel wide. I didn't even know it had a door. And using a control pad for the cursor was slow at best.
Mysti Sage
QUOTE (mystmum @ Jul 27 2004, 01:47 AM)
I found the hardest puzzle of Myst was figuring out what you were doing there in the first place. Took me two weeks to figure out I could get off the island!

I think that's one of the tricky things with the MYST games, and some others of the genre. Not only do you have to solve the often difficult puzzle, but also FINDING the puzzles in the first place is hard! Like finding hidden doors to get to veiwers for spinning globes, for instance. whistling.gif laugh.gif
jordarkelf
QUOTE (Mysti Sage @ Jul 27 2004, 04:07 PM)
Like finding hidden doors to get to viewers for spinning globes, for instance.

That one was simply evil.
Mysti Sage
Really? I had no idea. ranting.gif

Although that was easier for me than the similar thing just before it to even get there. After that, I closed ALL of the doors behind me. wink3.gif laugh.gif
Darian
It's an old thread, but Dragonball doesn't tell us if she was able to tone on through.
Here's my take on it. If you look at something a long time it leaves a lingering afterimage on the eyes that you can still see, if the light is right, when you look away.
Hearing is the same. Holding the key down for thirty seconds to a minute imprints the correct tone on the memory. The sliders then become an easy exercise similar to tuning an instrument. The ear just knows. wink3.gif
Corona
The ear just nose. AAAAAA!!!
Darian
roll.gif A nose for music? Yuk Yuk Yuk.
barbossa
i don't know.. i never really had an issue.. than again i was in band.. but anyways, i guess you could hit the note yourself on a keyboard or something you have, and just hold it, and move the bar till its the same.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.